PDA

View Full Version : The Proper Way to Dispact of An Injured Animal?

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 03:42 PM
After a vehicle struck and injured a deer, an officer responded, but his method of dispatching the deer is being questioned.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4827328/lethbridge-police-video-officer-repeatedly-running-over-deer/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2VP00jx_nf_gmjX06nW7HZJDy9ntU-EQuFakKNY2Sf2IeB9Wmty23j14w

fish_e_o
01-08-2019, 03:50 PM
we can't seriously expect a non hunter to know how to kill an animal properly.

hunters take many years and courses to learn how to do it right and are always refining it.

it's learned and it's not this person's job. this person tried and failed but they learned.

Dweb
01-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Definitely a strange scene , but like the other officer said some situations you can not discharge a firearm safely.

But......

Scott N
01-08-2019, 03:57 PM

hunters take many years and courses to learn how to do it right and are always refining it.

it's learned and it's not this person's job. this person tried and failed but they learned.

I think your comment is probably on the right track.

kevinhits
01-08-2019, 03:58 PM
He could of discharged his firearm safely...Straight in to the head...Or call F&W to actually do the job properly....cause the officer has no clue what to do...

Lefty-Canuck
01-08-2019, 04:01 PM
Carry a knife... he has a sidearm could have cleared the area and used to.

LC

grouse_hunter
01-08-2019, 04:10 PM
This is pusillanimity at its' finest! I highly doubt that the officer didn't have any tools at their disposal required to dispatch the suffering critter without the use of their service firearm.

Savage Bacon
01-08-2019, 04:10 PM
Ya that's a tough one. I'm sure the officer wasn't having fun trying to torture an animal.

20 some odd years ago. Deer got hit and was suffering. Officer arrived and just couldn't shoot it. Friend took officers gun and put the deer out. This was in small town NB so there wasn't an issue with handing the firearm over. The officer just couldn't do it.

Here's a question... is a person even allowed to shoot the deer if he or she has a firearm in the vehicle? Being a rifle, or hand gun (on your way to the range) or will that just get you in trouble? Maybe a knife is a better route?

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Carry a knife... he has a sidearm could have cleared the area and used to.

LC

It's not like there was a huge crowd around the scene to clear.

JDK71
01-08-2019, 04:18 PM
anyone who thinks this is ok is out of there mind could have been done many other ways

Trochu
01-08-2019, 04:19 PM

I actually can. You point the firearm at the animal, preferably not at an extremity such as a tail, leg, antler, and pull the trigger. Repeat if necessary. Police are trained, it's not a day course.

If this individual doesn't feel confident enough to dispatch an injured deer on the road, and that's fine if they aren't, I don't believe they should be carrying a firearm.

Smoky buck
01-08-2019, 04:27 PM
That is an example of a bad idea from someone who had no clue on what to do with the situation

Just shaking my head

riden
01-08-2019, 04:35 PM
I suspect there would be an equal uproar had he used his sidearm.

Most people aren’t capable of dispatching an animal up close and personal. This may have been all he were capable of.

grouse_hunter
01-08-2019, 04:37 PM

I can see the headlines now "A competent police officer efficiently dispatches an injured deer", what a scoop.

I'd guess that the officer didn't want to deal with the paperwork associated with a firearm discharge. Too many rules imposed on them by the society they serve, therefore it's the societys' fault!

1cuz1
01-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Most people aren’t capable of dispatching an animal up close and personal. This may have been all he were capable of.

About 5 years back there was a similar incident in the south end of Lethbridge on the busiest road we have, Officer utilized their sidearm to dispatch the animal while traffic remained flowing, on the 5th round fired he finally hit his target. The first 4 shots whereabouts:thinking-006:

MooseRiverTrapper
01-08-2019, 04:55 PM
Tried his best anyways.

riden
01-08-2019, 04:56 PM
About 5 years back there was a similar incident in the south end of Lethbridge on the busiest road we have, Officer utilized their sidearm to dispatch the animal while traffic remained flowing, on the 5th round fired he finally hit his target. The first 4 shots whereabouts:thinking-006:

I remember that.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 05:00 PM

The problem was not the officer deciding to use his sidearm, it was his incompetence with the sidearm.

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 05:06 PM
I’ve killed car struck deer with tire irons and hammers. Any hard blunt object to the skull is going to kill it. Fast. Sad.

Bigwoodsman
01-08-2019, 05:07 PM
This guys probably afraid to touch or hold a fish cause they’re all slimy and such.

Call F&W if you don’t know what to do ffs!

BW

Ken07AOVette
01-08-2019, 05:09 PM
TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY

'after hearing the deer scream for what seems forever as he drove over it again and again, I can't sleep, I can't work, there is no way I can drive, I now identify as a vegan so there is another angl- err I mean horrific sight I will never get over.....

:thinking-006:

Can't you see some scumbag Lawyer taking this case on? Sounds like $2.5mil in damages due the victim.

:sign0176:

Bigwoodsman
01-08-2019, 05:31 PM

'after hearing the deer scream for what seems forever as he drove over it again and again, I can't sleep, I can't work, there is no way I can drive, I now identify as a vegan so there is another angl- err I mean horrific sight I will never get over.....

Can't you see some scumbag Lawyer taking this case on? Sounds like $2.5mil in damages due the victim.

He could claim PTSD and get time off with pay for suffering through such a traumatic event. (No intent to make light of those who genuinely suffer PTSD)

BW

curtz
01-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Horrible way for the deer to die, years ago the police use to carry shotguns. They would use them to dispatch animals, not sure if they still do.

Sooner
01-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Watched the vid, the optics are terrible, hard to watch but I know what he was trying to do. And if he hits the head with the wheel on the first try, it would probably have been over quick and easy. Didn't quite work out that way and now that deer was run over in the worst way 3 times for sure.

Bad choice when you have access to a firearm, even if it was a shotgun. But I don't doubt, the same video showing one shot to the head from a firearm would have equal outrage from a different group.

I hope the guy don't lose his job and become the next social media target. The Lethbridge police dept should use this incident to firm up their rules of engagement with hurt wildlife inside city limits now. Make some hard and fast rules on how to dispatch, either they do it or call in F&W.

Copidosoma
01-08-2019, 05:38 PM
I suspect that part of the thought process of this officer was, "There will be less paperwork to do if I just use my car"

Should have just called F&W

Dweb
01-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Really with everyone having phones and cameras now , wouldn't have mattered what he did he would be wrong.

IR_mike
01-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Horrible way for the deer to die, years ago the police use to carry shotguns. They would use them to dispatch animals, not sure if they still do.

They have "patrol" carbines now.

Twisted Canuck
01-08-2019, 05:49 PM
I actually can. You point the firearm at the animal, preferably not at an extremity such as a tail, leg, antler, and pull the trigger. Repeat if necessary. Police are trained, it's not a day course.

If this individual doesn't feel confident enough to dispatch an injured deer on the road, and that's fine if they aren't, I don't believe they should be carrying a firearm.

Got to agree. That was unreal disturbing. Especially when it tried to get up and get away. Jesus...

huntsfurfish
01-08-2019, 05:54 PM

Definitely a strange scene , but like the other officer said some situations you can not discharge a firearm safely.

But......

Agree with both these posts. With vehicles passing it was not safe for a firearm dispatch.

58thecat
01-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Hammerhead is gonna face kangaroo court......call fish cops....make the area safe for other vehicles etc until they show up.

270WIN
01-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Incompetance at it's finest.

sgill808
01-08-2019, 06:03 PM
If he used a GM it would have been over faster. Reliability.:scared0018:

JULIUS
01-08-2019, 06:06 PM
I sure would like to know what the officers justification was for his actions.
I have seen several injured animals dispatched by police and never anything like this. However I was not there and may be missing something. I hope that this video and attention given to the incident is a learning experience for everyone.

Deer Hunter
01-08-2019, 06:10 PM
A 5 min lesson on how to dispatch wounded game should be part of the curriculum for these people. Since common sense is not a prerequisite.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Instead of ending the suffering, he caused the deer a great deal more suffering. The officer has no common sense.

JD848
01-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Agree with both these posts. With vehicles passing it was not safe for a firearm dispatch.

No matter what he would have done some one would have complained,specially if his bullet went a stray and hurting some one.

If FW came two hours latter then it would have been still his fault for leaving it suffer to long.If you didn't like the scene move on and keep driving.

While I wrote this about 45 people died of starvation if not 60,but no one wants to here that part.

JD848
01-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Instead of ending the suffering, he caused the deer a great deal more suffering. The officer has no common sense.

Elk every move the RCMP does you don't like so this doesn't surprise me at all.

rjlester
01-08-2019, 06:29 PM
Just saw this on the news. I was on the phone with a friend so I didn't hear the audio, but my wife couldn't watch it, and towards the end I couldn't either but at least by then they blurred the worst of it out.

My personal opinion of the RCMP has just dropped a notch. I know this is just one officer (or maybe two) but this really takes the cake. Have never been so riled up about something on the news in a long time. Is this really how limp wristed and politically correct we are that a police officer cannot get out of the vehicle and dispatch an animal in severe pain? I have no training but I would have taken shots at the head until I knew it was dead. Horrible to think about. As hard as it is, I've never shot an animal other than a gopher in my life, but in this case I would have manned up and did it right myself.

Can't get over it, so frosted about it I had to leave the room.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Do you think that the officer dispatched the deer humanely?
Do you approve of what he did?

My opinion would be the same if a regular motorist came along and did the same thing .

JD848
01-08-2019, 06:38 PM
If a regular citizen did this, I would find it just as offensive. Nobody should cause an already suffering animal all that extra pain.

Or should they discharge there firearm in an unsafe area and part of the bullet come back and hit him or a civilian,traffic in all directions,yes it wasn't nice to see,but something else worst could have happened.

The whole thing is not good,but there's more than one way to look at this.

elkhunter11
01-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Or should they discharge there firearm in an unsafe area and part of the bullet come back and hit him or a civilian,traffic in all directions,yes it wasn't nice to see,but something else worst could have happened.

The whole thing is not good,but there's more than one way to look at this.

Do you approve of what the officer did or not?

As for discharging the firearm, the officer could have held back traffic , and cleared the area, then held the muzzle of his firearm almost to the deer's head, and put a bullet between it's eyes , so a ricochet would not be an issue.

Bigwoodsman
01-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Just saw this on the news. I was on the phone with a friend so I didn't hear the audio, but my wife couldn't watch it, and towards the end I couldn't either but at least by then they blurred the worst of it out.

My personal opinion of the RCMP has just dropped a notch. I know this is just one officer (or maybe two) but this really takes the cake. Have never been so riled up about something on the news in a long time. Is this really how limp wristed and politically correct we are that a police officer cannot get out of the vehicle and dispatch an animal in severe pain? I have no training but I would have taken shots at the head until I knew it was dead. Horrible to think about. As hard as it is, I've never shot an animal other than a gopher in my life, but in this case I would have manned up and did it right myself.

I don’t think this officer was a member of the RCMP. Pretty sure it was the Lethbridge Police Service that the member is employed by.

BW

JD848
01-08-2019, 06:51 PM

I said the whole deal was not good,so I would figure that explains I don't approve,but if he discharged his firearm and the bullet went sideways and killed an innocent person then his life is ruined along with others that would sue his arse.So shoot or do something that's not humane or risk human life,hard call to make whether I like it or not or approve or disapprove.

rjlester
01-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Thanks for clarifying that! Like I said, I didn't hear the audio so I missed the part about the Lethbridge police.

Still disturbing and a lack of training/and or humanity/common sense.

JD848
01-08-2019, 06:52 PM
I don’t think this officer was a member of the RCMP. Pretty sure it was the Lethbridge Police Service that the member is employed by.

BW

Your right.

270person
01-08-2019, 06:58 PM
No other explanation required other than the cops an idiot.

Deer Hunter
01-08-2019, 07:00 PM
No other explanation required other than the cops an idiot.

That's pretty harsh. And extremely accurate.

kevinhits

There was no vehicles passing in the video....Take your sidearm and shoot him in the head...DONE...

elkhunter11
I said the whole deal was not good,so I would figure that explains I don't approve,but if he discharged his firearm and the bullet went sideways and killed an innocent person then his life is ruined along with others that would sue his arse.So shoot or do something that's not humane or risk human life,hard call to make whether I like it or not or approve or disapprove.

If the officer held the muzzle right next to the deer, to avoid a glancing impact, how is the bullet going to go sideways? And at least two posters mentioned clearing the area first, as an extra precaution. And watching the video, there were no other people or vehicles next to the deer, so it wouldn't take much to clear the area.

Ndallyn
01-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Do you think that the officer dispatched the deer humanely?
Do you approve of what he did?

My opinion would be the same if a regular motorist came along and did the same thing .

The difference is that if a regular motorist did this they would be heavily fined if not arrested. Officer should be charged with animal cruelty the same as any regular motorist would be.

buckbrush
01-08-2019, 07:26 PM
That was a sad video. In my eyes the officer wanted that to be over as soon as possible but didn't know how to do it. I honestly feel bad for the guy, I also feel bad for the deer.

Like has already been stated, the firearm would have been best but would also have caused an uproar. Everyone who has a camera seems to be trying to get the next video of a LOE doing something wrong.

Someone mentioned a knife. I once used a knife to put down a very much alive deer who had a broken back (I didn't have a gun with me) If that had been caught on video I would have been sent to the gallows. It took way too long and I felt horrible after. Not easy.

Talking moose
01-08-2019, 07:27 PM
The difference is that if a regular motorist did this they would be heavily fined if not arrested. Officer should be charged with animal cruelty the same as any regular motorist would be.

I was in a vehicle and came upon an injured moose. Phoned the cops, they asked if we had a gun. We did. He said wait till there was no traffic and shoot it. We did. This was on a major hiway.

YoteStopper
01-08-2019, 08:11 PM

I believe this was a officer with the Lethbridge Police, not RCMP.

Either way, they should receive some specialty ammo for their shotguns and training on how to use it. A breaching round like the one below would have literally zero chance of over penetration or ricochet and I would expect an instant kill on wildlife at point blank range.

https://theammosource.com/rws-12-gauge-2-75-375-grain-frangible-ntf-copper-slug-5-rounds/

I actually have a bunch of these but have not done any testing to see what they can do.

huntsfurfish
01-08-2019, 08:14 PM
There was no vehicles passing in the video....Take your sidearm and shoot him in the head...DONE...

There were people videoing from their car and cars were going. By pretty hard not to see the vehicles.

RandyBoBandy
01-08-2019, 09:19 PM
All experts here :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Remember this thread?? http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=356570
3800 views, 61 comments on how to dispatch LIVESTOCK let alone a DEER :)

devo11
01-08-2019, 09:26 PM
This is a joke, I cannot believe this. The officer clearly doesn’t t have a damn clue. It isn’t rocket science, he has billy clubs, guns and a phone to call F&W. yet he chooses to run back and forth over the deer. Seriously the guy is a complete idiot. One cannot even defend his actions. ****es me off.

Ruger1022
01-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Just going to leave this here..:scared0018:

https://www.change.org/p/lethbridge-police-department-fire-lethbridge-police-officer-that-ran-over-injured-fawn-with-police-cruiser?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_email _copy_en_gb_4.v1.pacific_email_copy_en_us_5.v1.pac ific_email_copy_en_us_3.control.pacific_post_sap_s hare_gmail_abi.gmail_abi.lightning_2primary_share_ options_more.variant

Pixel Shooter
01-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Many years ago we took out two black cows on freshly tarred pavement with truck and camper. One that shoved our 454 on our laps was still alive and one that took out our camper bathroom deader then a door nail. When cops finally showed up they refused to shoot it. Asked us if we had any guns. Took out the .22 and we dispatched it quickly and humanely. Maybe too much paper work. Dunno. Then waited a couple hours for the farmer to return from the flames game.

Halfton
01-08-2019, 11:59 PM
There is already a petition circulating around calling for the officer to be fired for his handling of the situation.
Also the Lethbridge Chief of Police has called in ASIRT to do an investigation of it.
It would seem that his chosen method of dispatching of the animal has not gone over well with the public.

Jim

fed
01-09-2019, 01:21 AM
No matter what he would have done some one would have complained,specially if his bullet went a stray and hurting some one.

If FW came two hours latter then it would have been still his fault for leaving it suffer to long.If you didn't like the scene move on and keep driving.

While I wrote this about 45 people died of starvation if not 60,but no one wants to here that part.

Pretty spot on post. Fish and wildlife would put it in the ditch for the coyotes. He could of shot it and it would of been done. Have you seen the peaple they sometimes hire for these positions? I know that if a police officer discharges their weapon it’s about 2 hrs of paperwork. Police have to acount for every round in their sidearm and in person every time they leave. If I was that cop I would if just shot it in the head!

58thecat
01-09-2019, 05:54 AM
A 5 min lesson on how to dispatch wounded game should be part of the curriculum for these people. Since common sense is not a prerequisite.

Your version of common sense and others may differ so that being said an SOP must be developed and followed to the end as to not put forth yours or my version of common sense.

58thecat
01-09-2019, 05:56 AM

As for discharging the firearm, the officer could have held back traffic , and cleared the area, then held the muzzle of his firearm almost to the deer's head, and put a bullet between it's eyes , so a ricochet would not be an issue.

Holy crap eh....can not take back a bullet...close your eyes, squeeze and hope:snapoutofit:

Your not out in the bush or remote area etc:scared0015:

58thecat
01-09-2019, 05:59 AM

And that's why we have tight restrictions on our firearms.....wild, wild, west:sHa_shakeshout:

elkhunter11
01-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Holy crap eh....can not take back a bullet...close your eyes, squeeze and hope:snapoutofit:

If you can't risk firing a single shot with time to clear the area first, and from point blank range, how could you ever risk firing your service weapon in an emergency situation, with no time to clear the area? Better disarm all leos, because it's too dangerous for them to fire their weapons. And if the officer closes his eyes before pulling the trigger, he definitely should not be carrying a firearm.

thenaturalwoodsman
01-09-2019, 07:22 AM
If you can't risk firing a single shot with time to clear the area first, and from point blank range, how could you ever risk firing your service weapon in an emergency situation, with no time to clear the area? Better disarm all leos, because it's too dangerous for them to fire their weapons. And if the officer closes his eyes before pulling the trigger, he definitely should not be carrying a firearm.

This ^^^ 100% Agree!!

bat119
01-09-2019, 07:42 AM
One round fired safely on a road shouldn't be a problem, the leo's had no problem firing a barrage last week at the guy in front of an apartment building

Pathfinder76
01-09-2019, 07:43 AM

Not in Canada.

Pathfinder76
01-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Is it that obvious?

Pathfinder76
01-09-2019, 07:53 AM
As a friend of mine used to say. Everyone likes trouble when it’s not their own.

We live in a world that cares far more about animals than humans. Period. There are human beings suffering incomprehensibly every day. In that same city. That will never make the news. It’s sickening really.

Hunter gatherer
01-09-2019, 08:01 AM
I watched an RCMP miss an injured deer at 10ft with a shotgun,hit him on the second shot. I almost asked him if he wanted me to shoot him. This Lethbridge cop could of used a knife and cut its throat but he chose to run it over. This was not even a high stress situation and he made a bad choice,don't let him make anymore bad choices stick him behind a desk,stolen property room.

JWCalgary
01-09-2019, 09:31 AM
After a vehicle struck and injured a deer, an officer responded, but his method of dispatching the deer is being questioned.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4827328/lethbridge-police-video-officer-repeatedly-running-over-deer/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2VP00jx_nf_gmjX06nW7HZJDy9ntU-EQuFakKNY2Sf2IeB9Wmty23j14wA real piece of work. Simply idiotic!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Off in the Bushes
01-09-2019, 09:32 AM
What if the officer involve was not a hunter and all the discharging of firearms is on paper. Its easy to say shoot in, in a room full of hunters.

You are dammed anyway this plays out, shoot it and you put people at risk, leave it for fish and wildlife and your cruel for undo suffering. Really leaving it would have been the best option, nature is cruel but it would have sorted itself out.

The resources that this has tied up now is going to be extensive. The man hours alone to investigate, rule on the appropriate action, develop a plan for mitigating this again in the future etc.

This is going to cost the tax payers if Lethbridge $1000s.

Talking moose
01-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Really? Lol

lannie
01-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Agree with you but i bet he wishes today he would have shot the deer now. As you have stated earlier there was no reason not to use a firearm. I am curious as to how much time he has as an officer? Maybe they warn them over and over about it being the very last resort to use your firearm?

The guy did make a huge mistake but hopefully he learns from it and ends up being one of the best officers in the province. He did not use common sense but I think this will be a big lesson that will benefit every officer in the province regardless of experience level.

#1 lesson- 95% of the public carries a camera.

amosfella
01-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. Remember that cop who had a personal handgun stolen that he carried in the car to put down injured animals?? Think it was in Manitoba.

Most people are doing the best they know how to with the cards they are dealt.

That all being said, I've killed deer on the side of the road by breaking necks. I had people yelling and complaining at me for that. Quite possibly, there's a video of that on the internet somewhere.

bat119
01-09-2019, 10:41 AM
I killed a deer with a "24 pipe wrench, the deer had a broken spine after being hit by a car no hope of survival found it on a grid road struggling to drag itself by the front legs. you do what you have to do

last minute
01-09-2019, 10:48 AM
https://globalnews.ca/news/4827328/lethbridge-police-video-officer-repeatedly-running-over-deer/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2VP00jx_nf_gmjX06nW7HZJDy9ntU-EQuFakKNY2Sf2IeB9Wmty23j14w
That's a little hard to watch shame on the officer

wildbill
01-09-2019, 10:51 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x100000000

Fish along
01-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Your right.

So if this is true then these guys don't carry firearms?

huntsfurfish
01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Not all the cops on the LPS are hunters. Bet many of them have never ever killed an animal personally. Pretty sure this one is from that category.
Any non hunter would have great difficulty dispatching a deer with a knife or club and yes even a firearm.

With the traffic around and possible pedestrians as well, a firearm may not have been a good choice. Easy for the usual keyboard warriors to say "shoot" though.

LPS is among the best trained in Canada. (No,not a member either)

Would be willing to bet he feels bad he could not dispatch it quickly and yes the truck was a poor choice. But see first paragraph.

Procedures will come out of this which is a good thing.

JD848
01-09-2019, 12:13 PM
A few years back a deer was hit on the number 1 hwy on a bridge,i was right behind the cop as he pull up,we started dragging the injured deer off the bridge and when we final got to the end where he could fire over looking a pond and some bush he shot the deer at point blank in the back of the head.

The bullet exited the nose and hit some 200 feet away into the water,so this is why I would think twice if I were a cop and discharge my sidearm in a public area.If his life was in danger than the rules of engagement for pulling his sidearm out is a different deals.

To many cop haters and animal lovers who hate hunting or killing of any wildlife running around with cameras just waiting to make the news.

When some criminal is outside there door forcing there way in the first thing they do is call that same group of cops to save there hypocritical butt,then the cop arrives and some nut case is firing away at the car I would run him over right now,there maybe multiple shooters so now he is willing to forfeit his live in exchange for your's because that's his job even though you disliked him the day before or he was useless.

I don't agree with what the video showed,but there only human so if some don't like it I understand,but I don't know the rules for pulling his side arm out if no human life is in danger in a public area.

I seen news clips of cops killed and we get more posts over a driving ticket,we should think much more of the people we ask to protect out children and families when they do something that isn't perfect or likable to our eyes,that deer was going to die regardless of how it died and it was far from perfect,but it is what it is.

JDK71
01-09-2019, 01:52 PM

JD do you think this rcmp used common sense in this case?

JD848
01-09-2019, 02:08 PM
JD do you think this rcmp used common sense in this case?

I have already answered that.Just read up above a few post.And it wasn't the Rcmp ,so what is it you would like to read.

JDK71
01-09-2019, 02:40 PM
my mistake I just don't think anyone in there right mind would think this would be ok at all . and for this guy to have a job to help protect the public (crazy) can you only amagine if he had a gun. this would be the last guy I would want in my community to protect my family

1899b
01-09-2019, 03:16 PM
Officer probably does crossfit at Orange Theory Fitness...

Bigwoodsman
01-09-2019, 03:18 PM
my mistake I just don't think anyone in there right mind would think this would be ok at all . and for this guy to have a job to help protect the public (crazy) can you only amagine if he had a gun. this would be the last guy I would want in my community to protect my family

I was thinking about this thread, and wondering if the cop involved might have been taking instruction from his command centre?

Would he need permission to use his firearm in a non threatening to him situation? Or can he just unholster and fire at will?

Funny how a group of us on AO can get so worked up over this without knowing all the details. Yes the video is damning, but we do not have any access to the conversation that may have taken place. Maybe he was just following orders.

BW

58thecat
01-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Two different situations there, one controlled regarding the injured animal in which can be covered, removed by F & W or whatever their protocol is now regarding the other "emergency" situation it would only happen when there is immediate danger to public and or the officer(s). You do not start firing shots just because nor draw your sidearm......jeepers.

JDK71
01-09-2019, 03:28 PM
well if he is just taking orders I guess that makes it ok . Just like the old saying goes just because you are being told to jump off the bridge dosnt mean you have to

JD848
01-09-2019, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=JDK71;3908170]my mistake I just don't think anyone in there right mind would think this would be ok at all . and for this guy to have a job to help protect the public (crazy) can you only amagine if he had a gun. this would be the last guy I would want in my community to protect my family[/QUOT

DELETE.

JDK71
01-09-2019, 03:41 PM
So next time you need the law call your Avon rep.

I don't call them now why would I start . you have your opinion and I have mine

JDK71
01-09-2019, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=JDK71;3908170]my mistake I just don't think anyone in there right mind would think this would be ok at all . and for this guy to have a job to help protect the public (crazy) can you only amagine if he had a gun. this would be the last guy I would want in my community to protect my family[/QUOT

DELETE.

Why?

BUSHRVN
01-09-2019, 04:14 PM
Is it possible that this was a "BY-LAW" officer therefore he would not be in possession of a fire arm??? Sad to say the least. Maybe grab it by the limp back legs and drag it into the ditch so that if it were to be dispatched by a firearm it could be done to direct the penetrating projectile into soft soil rather than asphalt which would deflect the bullet elsewhere?
Step back and call a Fish and Game officer otherwise. They do have allot of paperwork to do for every round fired. I call the RCMP while on my way to work one day because there was a deer in the ditch in the same condition as this one, he drove out and shot it and called me afterwards to tell me he had done it and thanked me. This was a country setting though.

elkhunter11
01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
well if he is just taking orders I guess that makes it ok . Just like the old saying goes just because you are being told to jump off the bridge dosnt mean you have to

I would be more disappointed if he was taking orders, it would be easier to accept one clueless officer in the field, than a clueless person giving orders to many officers in the field.

Sledhead71
01-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Very unfortunate for that poor animal. I am surprised that someone with the authority to lay criminal charges on the general public shows zero common sense in the situation that was presented to him or her.
Fail in so many ways it makes me wonder how these people can even carry a weapon, let alone a restricted...

Sundancefisher
01-09-2019, 05:20 PM
No words to justify this.

vcmm
01-09-2019, 05:52 PM
All I can say is this officer should NEVER have access to a firearm. OMG what a way for an animal to die! Sickening!!! It's amazing how myself and other forum members can go to their farm or a feedlot with 1000's of head of cattle and shoot 1 bullet to dispatch an animal humanely. This is with dozens of cowboys, pen checkers, feed truck drivers etc moving around us and no one gets hurt.Plus A
I am licensed by law for a HUMANE slaughter. Amazing how we can give someone with a Blue shield a pass but it's not okay for hunters etc..
This should never be allowed.
The man should be fired!!

Flame suit on:argue2::argue2::argue2:

trigger7mm
01-09-2019, 06:01 PM
A buddy of mine was coming home from Swan Hills several years ago, and came upon an RCMP officer about to attempt to put a black bear down that had been hit by a car. He said the cop shot the thing in the body about ten times with his service revolver, and the bear still wasn’t done. He finally lent his rifle to the cop to do it right. Said it was a pathetic sight.

vcmm
01-09-2019, 06:40 PM
X2! You got that right!

You guys are going about it the wrong way. It's just not the LEO'S Fault . The system failed the animal and the officer!!
P.S. I know some darn good Leo's, cops and pigs