PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting vehicle after 2 weeks not running

sdb8440
01-09-2019, 05:31 AM
My daughter is on a month long trip and besides taking care of her dog, she left her 2010 Pontiac Vibe here(mechanical clone of Toyota Matrix) . I figured I should start it up the other day and I was shocked when it wouldn't start at first. Plenty of cranking power, I was able to finally start it after 4-5 times of cranking it for 15 or 20 seconds. When it did start it smelled like it was flooded (possible as I did have to floor the pedal to get it started). It ran a little lumpy for 3-5 minutes then it was fine. Started it yesterday just fine.

I thought about adding some gas line antifreeze but thinking that wouldn't make much sense since her half full tank already would have 5-10% ethanol in it. I am wondering if it's the condensation that the ethanol causes, maybe exasperated by two weeks of Calgary weather.

Thoughts?

Hilgy
01-09-2019, 07:10 AM
I'd add that bottle of gas line anti freeze and then drive it over and cork that tank if its going to be sitting for a while yet. The worst thing you can do is leave a vehicle for an extended period of time with half a tank.

Big Grey Wolf
01-09-2019, 09:23 AM
Do not need gas line alcohol when you already have 10% ethanol/ alcohol in your tank. Real issue is was vehicle plugged in for 3-4 hours before attempting to start it. 80% of engine wear occurs during cold starting when vehicles block heater not used.

sdb8440
01-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Do not need gas line alcohol when you already have 10% ethanol/ alcohol in your tank. Real issue is was vehicle plugged in for 3-4 hours before attempting to start it. 80% of engine wear occurs during cold starting when vehicles block heater not used.

No it wasn't plugged in and I am not sure how that would make a difference, since there was no issue with cranking, must have been over 2 1/2 minutes total. Can you expand on your idea for me? and I agree about not needing he GLA.

thing
01-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Old gas?

yz295
01-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Any error codes?

Does it run rough for 20 seconds and then even out nicely? If so my bet is an injector is slowly leaking into the cylinder causing a misfire.

huntwat
01-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Sounds typical of moisture in the gas. Especially if you had a good freeze sometime in the 2 weeks. If it has cleared up and running smoothly, buy your gas elsewhere.

Dean2
01-09-2019, 11:34 AM
It has been cold then quite warm. Ethanol gas will phase separate, leaves water and gas separated, in pretty short time, especially with only half a tank. If it were me, I would add some methyl hydrate to help pull any separated water through the system, drive it till it was close to empty then fill it up with non-ethyl premium Shell, CO-op or Costco gas. If it is going to be parked again for a while I would add a jug of gas stabilizer to the tank. Plugging in is not going to help when it is already 0 to +10 like it has been in Calgary.

When I park the car for the winter, it is with a full tank of premium non-ethyl gas and I add a jug a fuel stabilizer, even though it is in a heated garage.

Savage Bacon
01-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Fuel injected. Don't hold the gas pedal down.

Hilgy
01-09-2019, 01:00 PM

Ethanol gas will separate leaving water in your gas. Most GLA has methyl hydrate in it which will basically attach itself to the water and get it through the system. You can buy just straight methyl hydrate and use that too.

Plugging in a vehicle with bad gas in it wont do squat.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-09-2019, 01:03 PM
All Calgary fuel is ethanol free.

Dean2
01-09-2019, 01:12 PM
All Calgary fuel is ethanol free.

Not even close. Almost all regular gas in Calgary contains ethanol and Husky, Petro Can etc even their premium has ethanol. Take a look on the pump next time your are in a station, they are almost all marked for 5 or 10%.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Not even close. Almost all regular gas in Calgary contains ethanol and Husky, Petro Can etc even their premium has ethanol. Take a look on the pump next time your are in a station, they are almost all marked for 5 or 10%.

Unless something has changed Calgary was an anomaly for some reason and the fuel there is ethanol free. What is says on the pump is a may contain. Or the nationwide stickers.

Dean2
01-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Unless something has changed Calgary was an anomaly for some reason and the fuel there is ethanol free. What is says on the pump is a may contain. Or the nationwide stickers.

Directly from Esso's website. There is no exemption for Calgary that I know of and pumps are only tagged with Ethanol stickers if they actually have ethanol in the gas. Shell puts more Ethanol into their regular gas to be able to average 5% overall to meet regulations. Call a couple of stations in Calgary if you want to verify this.

Ethanol
Helping to reduce fossil fuel emissions.
Ethanol is a non-fossil fuel that is produced from a variety of agricultural crops such as sugarcane, corn and wheat. As of December 15, 2010, Canada’s Renewable Fuels Regulations require an average renewable fuel content of 5% in gasoline.*
How much ethanol is in regular gasoline?
Almost all regular gasoline now has some ethanol in it. Our Synergy™ gasoline currently contains up to 10%. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content is known as E10, and with 15% ethanol it’s known as E15. Ethanol flex fuel (formerly known as E85) has between 51% and 83% ethanol, with the remainder being gasoline. E15 is only appropriate for use in flex fuel vehicles or a very small percentage of the newest vehicles. Anything higher than E15 ethanol content is only appropriate in flex fuel vehicles. Refer to your owner’s manual to confirm your vehicle’s requirements.

Learn more
*Sources: "Ethanol" and "Ethanol: Government Programs and Regulations" Natural Resources Canada. 16 Nov. 2013. Government of Canada. 06 May 2014 https://www.ec.gc.ca/energie-energy/default.asp?lang=En&n=92046026-1

MooseRiverTrapper
01-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Interesting. There was an exception in Calgary, possibly the didn’t have the technology to blend it in.

barbless
01-09-2019, 06:06 PM
The esso I went to all the time in Calgary had just recently changed their pumps and now there is a sticker "may contain up to 10% ethanol" does not specify what grade. But have been told by others premium does not at most stations. Called coop and they said none of their grades contain ethanol. Not sure on costco. From what I understand if you have and outboard on your boat that has injectors do not put that stuff in your tank. It will dry out your injector seals and other gaskets..I use premium.

RavYak
01-09-2019, 07:09 PM
The esso I went to all the time in Calgary had just recently changed their pumps and now there is a sticker "may contain up to 10% ethanol" does not specify what grade. But have been told by others premium does not at most stations. Called coop and they said none of their grades contain ethanol. Not sure on costco. From what I understand if you have and outboard on your boat that has injectors do not put that stuff in your tank. It will dry out your injector seals and other gaskets..I use premium.

Only Coop premium is ethanol free.

http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/PetroSpecs-GASOLINE.pdf

I believe most if not all 87 or 89 grade gas here in AB has ethanol. Shell and Coop premium are the only ones I know for sure don't have ethanol. Some stations such as costco depend on the location.

colroggal
01-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Although stated at the pumps, only certain Husky stations will have Ethanol in premium and mid grade.
Co-op is ethanol free in Calgary and all stations south of Ponoka.
Shell is ethanol free south of Olds. North of Olds the regular will have Ethanol.
All petrocan product above regular contains some amount of ethanol.
Esso is hit and miss as many stations are independents and they often order from the Sherwood hub.

Superstore, Safeway Canadian Tire etc carry a mixed bag as well. Ask if you can see the terminal meter ticket from their last delivery. Product code 1240 is reg eth free. Product codes 1274, 1070 and a few others will have Ethanol. The product description will list all additives.

Keep in mind, aside from a handful of older Safeway stations and Canadian Tire stations, no station has a mid grade tank. It is blended from premium and regular at the pump. So if one product has the stuff, so will the mid grade.

Haven't run a Costco lately so I can't comment on them aside from saying their premium used to be ethanol free and used iso-octane and was closer to 95 or 96 octane.

Colin

colroggal
01-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Interesting. There was an exception in Calgary, possibly the didn’t have the technology to blend it in.

The only Ethanol blended into Calgary fuel comes from the federated co-op terminal in Carsland (for husky premium - a single load arm out of 40) or blended in the trailer at the West-Can yard.

Ethanol is not shipped down the pipe and the Calgary terminals do not have Ethanol injection.

Colin

RandyBoBandy
01-09-2019, 08:37 PM
The only Ethanol blended into Calgary fuel comes from the federated co-op terminal in Carsland (for husky premium - a single load arm out of 40) or blended in the trailer at the West-Can yard.

Ethanol is not shipped down the pipe and the Calgary terminals do not have Ethanol injection.

Colin

Blah blah, what was the original question ?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

MooseRiverTrapper
01-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Colin why is Calgary primarily ethanol free compared to Edmonton?

Joe Black
01-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Calgary’s just special

colroggal
01-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Colin why is Calgary primarily ethanol free compared to Edmonton?

Ethanol blended fuel cannot be re-refined. 'Interface' product (gas/diesel mix) is sold back to the refineries, but it cannot contain ethanol.

Colin

Kim473
01-10-2019, 05:22 AM
When ever you turn the key on , the injectors will shoot a shot of fuel in it. Do NOT turn key off and on when a vehicle will not start. I did this once and had about 1 gallon of gas in the crank case oil.

sako1
01-10-2019, 12:11 PM
When ever you turn the key on , the injectors will shoot a shot of fuel in it. Do NOT turn key off and on when a vehicle will not start. I did this once and had about 1 gallon of gas in the crank case oil.

Absolutely not true.