PDA

View Full Version : Good Movies Thread

tacomama
01-09-2019, 08:51 AM
I thought I'd start a thread on good movies we have seen and would like to recommend to others. I didn't want to hijack other threads specific to one movie so I thought we can just keep this one going and keep adding to it.

Ok, the one I just saw on bluray was Alpha.
Really cool movie set about 20,000 years ago, well done, and quite different that some of the junk coming out of the theaters lately.
Here is the trailer: https://youtu.be/uIxnTi4GmCo

Post your good movie recommendations AND post a link to the trailer if you can.

Redneck 7
01-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. Looks good and I never heard of it coming out. Gonna watch it right now.

tacomama
01-09-2019, 01:22 PM
^Thanks!

Just saw the trailer for these ones, looks good too.

ARCTIC
https://youtu.be/N5aD9ppoQIo

COLD PURSUIT
https://youtu.be/7C2Nad0aMPg

Jeff336
01-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Hostiles on Netflix is for sure worth a watch.

colroggal
01-09-2019, 08:02 PM
Wind River on Netflix. Not a happy story, but darn good.

Colin

tacomama
01-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Colin

Yes, saw that one, excellent movie.

A few years old, but a good one too, The Grey, with Liam Neeson.

pinelakeperch
01-10-2019, 08:42 AM

Colin

Saw that a few days ago. A little over the top and unrealistic, but good nonetheless.

Garlicmarshmellow
01-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Greater is a good one for you football fans. Based on a true story

1899b
01-10-2019, 12:21 PM
The Road

bat119
01-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Into the white on netflix

During World War II, enemy fighter pilots find themselves face to face after shooting down one another's planes over a desolate landscape. In order to survive, they must set aside the rules of war.

based on a true story at the end of the movie they show the Brit and German pilot meeting after the war in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpcFKka5MEI

amosfella
01-10-2019, 04:54 PM
I still think that Sahara is a classic...

Jamie
01-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Great post idea.
So I already mentioned The 12th Man. Still amazed by that movie after a couple of days.

One I just wrapped up was called Downfall. Yeah, another sub title movie... (Perhaps I should get a Library card)

Though the movie dragged a bit (As we all know the outcome) this was the best Hitler performance I have seen. Great movie. This one shocked me in some of the same ways that Saving Private Ryan did. It was really nice to see a WW2 movie from the eyes of actual Germans. They managed to make Hitler look like a real person. It's a sad movie but not for the reason you think. I had to do some research once I finished and what they showed was true. I hold no sympathy for those caught up in all the German crap they pulled but this is a new way of looking at it.

I watched this move on a APP called Popcorn time.

wildbill
01-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Hunt for the wilder people, not that new, but a refreshing change from all the Hollywood movies.

Redhorse Ranch
01-10-2019, 08:57 PM
We don't go to the theatre much anymore, but if you want to see a current movie that will entertain you without the obligatory social scolding, go see "The Mule". Good story.

Trochu
01-11-2019, 07:59 AM
We don't go to the theatre much anymore, but if you want to see a current movie that will entertain you without the obligatory social scolding, go see "The Mule". Good story.

Huh, I was looking forward to see that but everyone I talked to who's seen it thought it was terrible.

Redhorse Ranch
01-11-2019, 10:38 AM
We really enjoyed it, especially the lack of proselytizing. Just told the story. The Eastwood character wasn't what we expected.

Fish along
01-11-2019, 10:56 AM
We really enjoyed it, especially the lack of proselytizing. Just told the story. The Eastwood character wasn't what we expected.

I haven't seen it but I would be surprised if Clint made a bad movie,he is an awesome director, and actor. Im currently watching El Chapo,definetly not boring like some of these series that drag out episodes with all kinds of foolish trash.

huntinstuff
01-11-2019, 10:58 AM
The Nun

Horror overload......I loved it

bat119
01-11-2019, 11:20 AM
I haven't seen it but I would be surprised if Clint made a bad movie,he is an awesome director, and actor. Im currently watching El Chapo,definetly not boring like some of these series that drag out episodes with all kinds of foolish trash.

El Chapo was good I found the part where he escapes into the jungle naked with an m16 amusing

Unregistered user
01-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Norsemen series on Netflix.

Fish along
01-11-2019, 12:30 PM
El Chapo was good I found the part where he escapes into the jungle naked with an m16 amusing

Yes amusing for sure,drug lord lol, Lord jasus.

Fish along
01-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Norsemen series on Netflix.

This movie is so much like the Monty Python stuff lol, theres also the western spoof called Buster something I cant recall at the moment Hillarious If

Passthru
01-11-2019, 12:50 PM
The “Fargo” seasons on Netflix are really really good. Billy Bob Thornton plays an evil human being. Couldn’t stop watching.

pinelakeperch
01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
The “Fargo” seasons on Netflix are really really good. Billy Bob Thornton plays an evil human being. Couldn’t stop watching.

My favourite show. Season 3 is a little out there, but I still enjoyed it. Can't wait for season 4!

bat119
01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
If anybody hasn't watched breaking bad I highly recommend it, couldn't stop watching warning black humor not for the faint of heart.

Walt alias Heisenberg plays the role perfectly

Big Sky
01-11-2019, 01:40 PM
We really enjoyed it, especially the lack of proselytizing.......
Yep, get enough of that in the 6.5 threads :scared0018:

The Nun

Horror overload......I loved it
Sounds like my elementary school. :)

Still in the theaters but The Green Book is very good.
Italian bouncer driving a black concert pianist through the American south in the 60's.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6966692/

Fish along
01-11-2019, 02:17 PM
If anybody hasn't watched breaking bad I highly recommend it, couldn't stop watching warning black humor not for the faint of heart.

Walt alias Heisenberg plays the role perfectly

Watched it great show,a bit dragged out bu exciting

Scott N
01-11-2019, 02:22 PM
This movie is so much like the Monty Python stuff lol, theres also the western spoof called Buster something I cant recall at the moment Hillarious If

You'r thinking of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Okotok
01-11-2019, 03:16 PM

Watched that one a little while ago. A bit strange but quite enjoyable nevertheless. Not too many happy endings.

tacomama
01-11-2019, 03:42 PM
A few more....

TV Series:
Narcos (Netflix)

Narcos: Mexico (Netflix)

The Killing (mini series)

Better call Saul - Breaking Bad spin-off with the lawyer Jimmy McGill, pre-dates the events of Breaking Bad but has characters and events in it that lead up to Breaking Bad

More movies:
The Edge (filmed in AB as well!)
Rush
Ronin

Bigwoodsman
01-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Went and saw this last weekend. Enjoyed the movie, but I like Eastwood. It was nice that there wasn't stuff blowing up and people getting killed every other seen. The story moved along, quite well. I thought Eastwood did a good job portraying the fellow. Based on a true story.

If you like a good story and enjoy his acting you won't be disappointed. I'll give it 4 kernels of popcorn out of 5.

BW

Fish along
01-11-2019, 07:27 PM

I liked the original, but ill watch again now to see Billy bob.

Fish along
01-11-2019, 07:30 PM

Yep that's it holy, totally crazy lol

TheHammer675
01-12-2019, 07:32 AM
I agree

Hunt for the wilder people, not that new, but a refreshing change from all the Hollywood movies.

6.5 shooter
01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Black crows, on Netflix, last time I brought this one up I was banded for a couple months..

Chewbacca
01-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Peaky Blinders
My introduction to Netflix. Really liked this series.

alex8486
01-13-2019, 09:08 AM
Peaky is good, agree.

sns2
01-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Peaky is exceptional, but I needed the subtitles to understand:)

owlhoot
01-13-2019, 10:17 AM
"Secretariat" a Disney True Story with Diane Lang and John Malkovich.
Watched this last night and enjoyed every minute of it.

robson3954
01-13-2019, 10:58 AM
I enjoyed You Were Never Really Here

frusig
01-15-2019, 11:20 AM
I just saw "No Country For Old Men" by Coen brothers - pretty awesome. Or well.. This is not a film, it is a FX's TV Series "Fargo". One of the best TV Series I think. Specially first season.

TomP
01-15-2019, 12:46 PM
“Animal kingdom” on Netflix is superb. It is pretty dark though. If your into criminal/heist/drug shows it’s a good one

macee
01-15-2019, 01:05 PM
“Animal kingdom” on Netflix is superb. It is pretty dark though. If your into criminal/heist/drug shows it’s a good one

X2 Love this show have hard time waiting for new ones to come out.

frusig
01-16-2019, 07:53 AM
"Searching" is one of the best crime thriller movie of 2018! Small independent film but damn good.

Fish along
01-17-2019, 07:35 PM
"Searching" is one of the best crime thriller movie of 2018! Small independent film but damn good.

I'll look and see thanks

bat119
01-26-2019, 09:34 AM
The iceman on netflix

Hit man Richard Kuklinski (Michael Shannon) earns a well-deserved reputation as a cold-blooded killer but manages to keep his violent profession a secret from his wife (Winona Ryder) and children for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxKdtt1PjU

Really scary dude suspected of killing over 100 based on a true story

Fish along
01-26-2019, 11:51 AM
The iceman on netflix

Hit man Richard Kuklinski (Michael Shannon) earns a well-deserved reputation as a cold-blooded killer but manages to keep his violent profession a secret from his wife (Winona Ryder) and children for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxKdtt1PjU

Really scary dude suspected of killing over 100 based on a true story

Looks interesting thanks.

ardionty
01-31-2019, 06:58 AM
Hey, Searching is a great movie! Very original krimi thriller with John Cho (Sulu from Star Trek :D ) in lead role! This movie should have more attention than it currently has!

BloodHound70
01-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Great thread!! Lots of interesting ones to check out....

My picks:

Bohemian Rhapsody was very good. What a performance from the actor who played Freddie Mercury. Don't have to be much of a Queen fan to enjoy this one.

Molly's Game- The true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target.

Den of Thieves- If you like heist movies, this is a MUST SEE.

BH

Fish along
01-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Just watched 2 guns...good show,,,Denizel Washington and Mark Wahlberg.

Jamie
01-31-2019, 03:29 PM
Great thread!! Lots of interesting ones to check out....

My picks:

Bohemian Rhapsody was very good. What a performance from the actor who played Freddie Mercury. Don't have to be much of a Queen fan to enjoy this one.

Molly's Game- The true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target.

Den of Thieves- If you like heist movies, this is a MUST SEE.

BH

I thought Bohemian was a ok at best. A movie made extra good by the Actor playing Freddie. The movie it self was silly. I think that actor deserves the Academy award for that one. Not sure if he will get it as the movie was so bad. (On a awards not entertainment level) When you sit back and really look at that movie, it really is a shame. Could have been a great story to share. But it's filled with so many glib type things. They tried to dumb down a interesting story.

Hogie135
01-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Shameless......TV show on Netflix. William H Macy plays the town drunk VERY well. I'd give the show 9/10.

Bright.......on Netflix with Will Smith. great movie.

R3illy
01-31-2019, 04:57 PM

This movie is one of the more refreshing movies I've come across. I was dreading this pick from my wife. There was a scene in that movie that made me laugh for 20 min straight. It got to the point we had to put it on pause. I've mentioned to everyone that this is one they should watch.

Bonescreek
01-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Life is Beautiful 1998

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYEQP8gx3w

Saving Grace 1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dRQCY57EQ

Movies to humble a soul and make laugh and cry at the same time. :-)
Good stuff.

frusig
02-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Netflix doesn't have so many good movies. I personally don't understand the hype around Bird Box.. for me it was just another.. slightly worse "A Quiet Place". But what I really liked was "Outlaw King". Really entertaining, brutal and nicely shot historic movie.

Fish along
02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Shameless......TV show on Netflix. William H Macy plays the town drunk VERY well. I'd give the show 9/10.

Bright.......on Netflix with Will Smith. great movie.

I watched shameless very interesting indeed,now ill go and see what Bright, is all about Thanks.

Fish along
02-08-2019, 12:05 PM
If you like funny westerns watch The Ridiculous 6, crazy lol.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sashi
02-08-2019, 01:46 PM
I just watched the above movie on Netflix last night, a great movie based on a true story. I didn't realize that Dag Hammarskjöld's ("the Secretary General of the UN") Plane was shot down over the Jungle in 1962, (another good cover up).

Jamie
02-08-2019, 02:36 PM
I just watched the above movie on Netflix last night, a great movie based on a true story. I didn't realize that Dag Hammarskjöld's ("the Secretary General of the UN") Plane was shot down over the Jungle in 1962, (another good cover up).

What was the above movie?

Scott N
02-08-2019, 02:41 PM
What was the above movie?

He's referring to The Siege of Jadotville.

pruhead
02-08-2019, 04:56 PM
watched POLAR on Netflix , its an action packaged Movie , its cool.

Red Bullets
02-08-2019, 06:17 PM
An old movie from 1971 but still a good movie. Youtube has it for a fee but 'imdb' might have it for free. I didn't even know you can rent movies on you tube.

Man In The Wilderness.

Based on the actual Hugh Glass that was mauled by a bear and left for dead in the wilds of the mid 1800's.

The Revenant is a remake of the same story. I like the old movie better.

Youtube Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltyvk_TX_D4

Red Bullets
02-08-2019, 06:57 PM
This was in interesting series back 20 years ago. Well worth the watch for anyone that romanticizes and dreams about homesteading in western Canada

Pioneer Quest: A Year In The Real West

2 couples move onto homesteads of the 1870's and live a year as homesteaders, with only a covered wagon load of goods. A slow paced reality series so not action packed but still interesting as it illustrates just how trying the act of homesteading from scratch was. Canadian made. Just like my ancestors that homesteaded around here 125 years ago.

I found the first episode here free online. tubi has more episodes too.
https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/285107/pioneer_quest_episode_1_the_dream

I think netflix might have the series too.

tool
02-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Hyena road on Netflix.

About Canadian forces in Afghanistan.

Pretty good film, Canadian production but the ending is a kicker.

Fish along
02-09-2019, 04:30 PM
An old movie from 1971 but still a good movie. Youtube has it for a fee but 'imdb' might have it for free. I didn't even know you can rent movies on you tube.

Man In The Wilderness.

Based on the actual Hugh Glass that was mauled by a bear and left for dead in the wilds of the mid 1800's.

The Revenant is a remake of the same story. I like the old movie better.

Youtube Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltyvk_TX_D4
I read a book about Hugh Glass,it was a great read,nothing at all like the romanticized Revenant,but it was a pretty good movie.:thinking-006:

BloodHound70
02-11-2019, 05:20 AM
I thought Bohemian was a ok at best. A movie made extra good by the Actor playing Freddie. The movie it self was silly. I think that actor deserves the Academy award for that one. Not sure if he will get it as the movie was so bad. (On a awards not entertainment level) When you sit back and really look at that movie, it really is a shame. Could have been a great story to share. But it's filled with so many glib type things. They tried to dumb down a interesting story.

Well Jamie I guess we will definitely agree to disagree on this one. Your the only person that I know of that didn't like it.

BH

richard steinberg
02-11-2019, 02:59 PM
FAUDA-on Netflix.Two seasons.You will see the reality how human live has no value in the Middle East and better view of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

DOGFISH
02-11-2019, 07:07 PM
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada*(also known as*Three Burials)[5]*is a 2005 French-American neo-Western film[3]directed by and starring*Tommy Lee Jones*and written by*Guillermo Arriaga.[6]*It also stars*Barry Pepper,*Julio Cedillo,*Dwight Yoakam, and*January Jones.

nimrod
02-11-2019, 07:25 PM
It a bit older, Burn after reading, very funny movie,

Jamie
02-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Well Jamie I guess we will definitely agree to disagree on this one. Your the only person that I know of that didn't like it.

BH

BH.. I didn't mind it and really thought the actor playing Freddie was amazing. a travesty if he doesn't win the academy award for that.

The movie was fun to watch, just not award worthy. It just seemed all to set up. But what do I know. I laughed outloud more than a few times at the movie "TAG" last night. LOLOLOL

nivlac
02-11-2019, 10:52 PM
I walk the line with Gregory Peck and Tuesday Weld aprox. 1971

nivlac
02-11-2019, 10:56 PM
Going way back there was nothing like the old 3D movies with the big glasses. Everything came out at you and you would duck.

TreeGuy
02-12-2019, 12:39 AM
Recently (and admittedly reluctantly at the time) watched The Greatest Showman.

A musical about PT Barnum starring Hugh Jackman.

It was tremendous. 9/10....10/10 for brownie points with wifey. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anaterfa
02-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Hi, my sister just returned from India with lots of experiences and movie recommendations. I was reall surprised that she recommended me "Life of Pi". Really beautiful survival movie.

BloodHound70
02-12-2019, 07:47 AM
BH.. I didn't mind it and really thought the actor playing Freddie was amazing. a travesty if he doesn't win the academy award for that.

The movie was fun to watch, just not award worthy. It just seemed all to set up. But what do I know. I laughed outloud more than a few times at the movie "TAG" last night. LOLOLOL

100% agree with that take.

TAG is a great movie. Forgot about that one, and to think it is derived from a true story makes it even better. VERY funny and won't disappoint for sure. I may have to re watch that one today. LOL

BH

BloodHound70
02-12-2019, 08:01 AM

During World War II, enemy fighter pilots find themselves face to face after shooting down one another's planes over a desolate landscape. In order to survive, they must set aside the rules of war.

based on a true story at the end of the movie they show the Brit and German pilot meeting after the war in real life.

Cant find that one on Netflix. Dam cause it looks good.

Just watched Wind River and you guys are right, it was pretty good.

BH

Red Bullets
02-16-2019, 10:13 PM
Thought I would put this old west movie here since it was filmed in Alberta in 1954. Sort of funny in its accuracy but it is a movie after all.
It was filmed on the headwaters and lakes of the North Saskatchewan river.

Saskatchewan.
Starring Alan Ladd and Shelly Winters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF8v38hRoE

dfarms11
02-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Not on Netflix now

jungleboy
02-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Lawless

Birdbox

Grumpy old men

Grumpier old men

YoteStopper
02-18-2019, 11:01 AM
My group of favorites-

Fury
Road to Perdition
Valkyrie
Hacksaw Ridge
End of Watch
United 93
Lawless
Gran Torino
Jason Bourne series
Lone Survivor
American Sniper

Not movies, but great series-

The Pacific
Band of Brothers
Narcos (Netflix)
Narcos: Mexico (Netflix)

frusig
02-19-2019, 05:52 AM
I recently loved: A dog's purpose, A star is born, Aquaman

tinmoc
02-20-2019, 04:00 AM
Recently I was mesmerized by: Star Wars: Solo story, Smallfoot and The connected Universe

tacomama
03-22-2019, 10:30 AM
The 12th Man on Netflix was an excellent movie.
Also enjoying Life Below Zero series also on Netflix.

4pointswest
03-22-2019, 02:39 PM
The intouchables. has subtitles but is 100% worth a watch. Quatraporte sounds soo good too..

Red Bullets
03-23-2019, 06:26 PM
Haven't seen the whole series but the first couple episodes I saw were amusing comedy. 2 seasons on Netflix.

Real Rob.

Mr Flyguy
03-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Just finished watching "Ode to Billy Joe". Will never get that two hours of my life back :mad0100: but now I at least know why he jumped off the bridge!

DWS
03-24-2019, 12:03 AM
curious as to how many use a media streaming box to watch movies?
no more cable bill no Netflix subscription.

Jamie
03-24-2019, 12:16 AM
I watched "The Dirt" last night.
This was a interesting story wrapped up in a bad movie. Worth watching if your interested. Those boys partied hard. Holy crap.

Rig-Rat
03-24-2019, 01:10 AM
I watched "The Dirt" last night.
This was a interesting story wrapped up in a bad movie. Worth watching if your interested. Those boys partied hard. Holy crap.

Just finishing The Dirt as I type this, I'm a huge fan of the band so I am liking the movie, but I see how people may not like as much. I read the book and the stories of these guys is crazy. Not sure how they made it out alive, but damn I would have loved to spend some time down on the Sunset Strip back n the early 80's.

Jamie
03-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Just finishing The Dirt as I type this, I'm a huge fan of the band so I am liking the movie, but I see how people may not like as much. I read the book and the stories of these guys is crazy. Not sure how they made it out alive, but damn I would have loved to spend some time down on the Sunset Strip back n the early 80's.

I would have liked to see this story with the acting of Bohemian. That would have been something kinda cool .

Maxwell78
03-24-2019, 08:14 AM
I watched the unknown soldier over the last couple days.(the 3 hour version) Its a movie about the finnish army fighting the russians. It was filmed in Finnland so there was english subtitles in it.

This turned out to be one of the best WW2 movies i have ever seen. I highly recommend it

Here is a trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V3yhdrxxtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ghv_jJYMM

tacomama
04-15-2019, 02:15 PM
The Silence on Netflix was pretty decent. Along similar lines as The Quiet Place.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ufZuqTd5c

blacknorthernjk
04-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Leave no trace
On Netflix