PDA

View Full Version : Clean drinking water

antlercarver
01-09-2019, 10:34 AM
I often see on the news northern communities asking for government funding for facilities so that they could have clean water. There are 200,000 farms across Canada who look after their own water and sewer, why can`t everyone else.

Fish along
01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
I often see on the news northern communities asking for government funding for facilities so that they could have clean water. There are 200,000 farms across Canada who look after their own water and sewer, why can`t everyone else.

Depending on how far North you go,water and sewer have to be transported by utilidors,expensive to build and maintain.

traderal
01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Yep I live on a farm, pay the same taxes as someone in town and get none of the services except a grader. Have to install my own sewage and well at costs of 25 to 50k.
Have absolutely no sympathy for those "special status" communities.

Dewey Cox
01-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Testing the new moderator I see?

AndrewM
01-09-2019, 12:44 PM
Some of the northern areas of Alberta use dugouts rather than wells for water to their houses. Maybe this is why? Not enough surface runoff or it is too contaminated? Just tossing out ideas.

IR_mike
01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Some of the northern areas of Alberta use dugouts rather than wells for water to their houses. Maybe this is why? Not enough surface runoff or it is too contaminated? Just tossing out ideas.

Lack of groundwater in the NW.

AndrewM
01-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Lack of groundwater in the NW.

Yes that's why they have the dugouts. Should have stated that!

Grizzly Adams
01-09-2019, 01:22 PM
Live in the middle of nowhere, with no road access, you're fighting an up hill battle. Throw into that poor maintenance of supplied equipment and your'e gonna have problems. I visited a reserve last week, local, granted, they have 4 state of the art water treatment plants. Computer summons help in the event of a breakdown by text. They haven't had a boil water advisory in years. It's not a money problem on the government's part.

Grizz