PDA

View Full Version : Instant Pot (the cooking thing)

huntinstuff
01-09-2019, 07:57 PM
My friend calls and she’s telling me about this cooking thing called Instant Pot. Cook a frozen chicken in 50 minutes, make cakes, soup, etc etc

She convinces me I need one. So I drive to Canadian Tire and look.

Instructions on the box look simple enough. So I buy an 8 quart and head home.

I wash it up, put some water in it like it says, throw frozen sausages in and crank the lid down. Push a few buttons and it starts. It figures it will take 22 minutes to cook. Ok. Ive got 22 minutes.

Partner comes home. Sees me standing in the kitchen like I know what I’m doing. Sees the empty Instant Pot box there, me with the owners manual in my hand.......smiling

She walks over to this pantry she has, goes inside, brings out an 8 quart Instant Pot, puts it beside my new one and walks upstairs to change....

Im thinking good thing I used her credit card

She comes back downstairs

Apparently I don’t pay enough attention around here to stuff that she started talking about, but I cant really remember everything she said cause I wasn’t really paying attention

wwbirds
01-09-2019, 08:17 PM
We got one just before Christmas and just got around to trying it on a sirloin roast last weekend. It was OK but I still preferred the old clay baker where I could throw a cheap roast in with potatoes onions carrots garlic and let it cook at low heat for 5 hours.
OooPs leftover sirlin roast you say?

Insta pot Monday at 4 30 PM with roast potatoes carrots onions and garlic.
Boss got home at 5 30 and we were eating right away.

She saved the broth from Sunday roast and so on Tuesday I added a little beef bouillon water left over roast beef sliced with potatoes and carrots and more celery onions and garlic.

Stew was delicious. I am thinking I am going to like this new toy.

Now that you have 2 of them I can envision a cook off challenge. In order to win rules are important, pay attention this time. :sHa_shakeshout:

sns2
01-09-2019, 08:43 PM
LMAO, Huntinstuff. Classic.

CaberTosser
01-09-2019, 08:46 PM
I got Mrs Caber one for Christmas, she had an older rig that was kind of similar but the top handle was broken etc and it was rather primitive in terms of programs by comparison, but it was a pressure cooker. I think a second smaller one may be in order for cooking rice or other sides. I love how fast and perfectly they do rice.

sns2
01-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Boys, all of these recipes will be good ones...

https://damndelicious.net/2018/06/04/10-best-instant-pot-recipes-for-everyone/

huntinstuff
01-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Now that you have 2 of them I can envision a cook off challenge. In order to win rules are important, pay attention this time. :sHa_shakeshout:

I am gonna enter my sausage in that cook...... off........😜😇😈

RandyBoBandy
01-09-2019, 09:10 PM
I am gonna enter my sausage in that cook...... off........😜😇😈

You're not going to have a sausage when she finds out you used her credit card :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

nast70
01-10-2019, 08:14 AM
I got my wife one for Christmas. Haven't used it too much, just quick little things, like rice, potatoes, eggs and a stew, but so far so good. She'll be starting her new job at the end of the month, working from home. That is when it will get used.

calgarygringo
01-10-2019, 08:42 AM
We have had one for the last year or more. Works great and wife cooks in it all the time. Probably going to have it worn out soon. Amazing what she cooks in there.

bat119
01-10-2019, 08:50 AM
We bought one to replace a slow cooker, it get used 3-4 times a week mostly for potatoes, rice and other vegetables. It's like a crock pot on steroids for pulled pork and tough roasts done in a third of the time or make chili under pressure then switch to slow cook to thicken up.
It's the most useful new kitchen gadget we bought so far and having two wouldn't be a bad thing potatoes in one and a meat dish in the other, cleans up really easy too.

Grizzly Adams
01-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Do I sense a lack of communication in your household ? :D

Grizz

El Carnicero
01-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Don't have one myself yet, But the wife has been making suggestions towards one.
I don't know anything about these things other than what others are saying.

So, Can these things have everything thrown in them at once and all cook together. Like the roast, potatoes etc, or do you have to do them separately, or is there a divider in the pot that you put each food item in and it cooks individually, but together?

We went to a dinner at a friends house several months ago and they used one to make the dinner. It was fantastic. But they had the rice, chicken and the veggies all in the pot together, but sectioned off as to not be mixed in. Which leads me to my above question about cooking all food items at once in the same pot.

huntinstuff
01-10-2019, 10:20 AM
Do I sense a lack of communication in your household ? :D

Grizz

Lol. Yes absolutely!!! I received an “invite” by text to join her in Hawaii

If it weren’t for text or stat holidays we would probably never meet!!!!

There’s light switches in this place I have no idea what they do. She does.

CBintheNorth
01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.
Could just as easily have been something I did....or most men for that matter.

calgarygringo
01-10-2019, 01:06 PM
You can and we have done it.

Don't have one myself yet, But the wife has been making suggestions towards one.

So, Can these things have everything thrown in them at once and all cook together. Like the roast, potatoes etc, or do you have to do them separately, or is there a divider in the pot that you put each food item in and it cooks individually, but together?

We went to a dinner at a friends house several months ago and they used one to make the dinner. It was fantastic. But they had the rice, chicken and the veggies all in the pot together, but sectioned off as to not be mixed in. Which leads me to my above question about cooking all food items at once in the same pot.

Dean2
01-10-2019, 01:22 PM
She comes back downstairs

Apparently I don’t pay enough attention around here to stuff that she started talking about, but I cant really remember everything she said cause I wasn’t really paying attention

I know the feeling. My wife says there are two big things wrong with me. I don't listen and something else she was nattering on about. I just figure not listening is how we have manged to stay married for 30 years.

IR_mike
01-10-2019, 01:49 PM

i think you answered your own question.

58thecat
01-11-2019, 06:05 AM
You're not going to have a sausage when she finds out you used her credit card :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Chick it in The fan dangled cooker to soften it up a bit:scared0018:

We got one, preps ribs just nice, other things too but I don't go near the kitchen once the experts are there.......

Justfishin73
01-11-2019, 06:39 AM
As I did the same thing, have an extra unopened from Christmas if anyone wants to pick it up South Edmonton for $120

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/instant-pot-ultra-10-in-1-electric-pressure-cooker-6qt/10872768