PDA

View Full Version : sea sickness

Twin Valleys
01-10-2019, 08:48 PM
sure enjoying the ice fishing reports seeing folks so interested reminds me of my own enthusiasm for ice fishing over the years but maybe not so much this year with these chinook winds down south, anyways, with a trip to Rarotonga (Cook Islands) on the radar in a few weeks was wondering about how others have handled sea sickness - so looking forward to hitting some southern sea fishing but my last experience in Cuba has left me wondering how to handle this, previously has not been an issue for me (I'm even an old navy hand) but last time so sick, anybody have any success on handling this and yes maybe too much rum the night before not the best idea

GMX
01-10-2019, 09:10 PM
It doesn’t affect me but my dads buddy gets it just looking at the ocean the gravol patch works wonders for him. He puts one behind his ear 24 hours before we head out on the water.

West O'5
01-10-2019, 09:12 PM
There’s anti-motion sickness pills that you can take a few hours prior to your fishing trip,also other homeopathic remedies like wrist bands etc....I don’t know much about either really,I’ve never gotten sea sick and worked for many years in Commercial fishing on east coast,but I once had a crew mate that fished his entire life/grew up in the family business etc and he took the pills every day or he’d be sick.....personally,I’d have found a new career if I was him but....lol

Jamie
01-10-2019, 10:22 PM
It doesn’t affect me but my dads buddy gets it just looking at the ocean the gravol patch works wonders for him. He puts one behind his ear 24 hours before we head out on the water.

This is what worked with 95% of our guests. It wouldn't work with my daughter but she is a trooper. Gaging over the side while banging fish.. She is amazing. Always sleeps all the way home and is exhausted but keeps going.

Tcon
01-11-2019, 01:49 AM
I used to live in Mexico and got over sea sickness by spending lots of time deep sea fishing. It was almost like a desensitization. After being land lock for so many years I have lost my fortitude. Now I generally get sea sick under a few conditions. Things like heat, diesel fumes, big swells off the west coast can make me turn green. When I know I'm fishing in conditions like that I use the scopolamine patches 24 hours before I head out. They last about 3 days before you have to put another on. My mother gets motion sick looking at a boat and she dared going on a cruise with scopolamine patches on and they worked like a charm for her.

TimboLefty
01-11-2019, 05:48 AM
Gravel works for me. The trick is to take it before you get seasick.

Chief16
01-11-2019, 07:27 AM
When I went salmon fishing this year, I put a transform-V (scopolamine) patch on the day before I arrived as well as gravol the night before and the morning of fishing everyday and I didn't feel a bit of seasickness at all.

Fishwhere
01-11-2019, 08:19 AM
When we went in some rough water for 4 days of deep sea fishing we put on these little patch things behind our ears. Dont know what its called etc but they worked great.

italk2u
01-11-2019, 08:40 AM
There is a wrist band(can't remember the name of it), I am really bad with sea sickness but i used it on our last sea cruise and it worked wonders, Got mine at rexall for 7.95.

calgarychef
01-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Keep an eye on the horizon... Imwent with some Ozzie buddies for a big adventure on the ocean. We were a few days on small (20’) boats and they kept asking “are you feeling crook?” I never did feel the least bit sick and they were amazed as they’d probably laid bets on how fast this landlubber would hurl.

None of them were smoking though, one whiff of tobacco and I’m sure it would set in fast.

Hilgy
01-11-2019, 11:25 AM
The patches works well and make sure you get some Gravol in you before you head out as others have mentioned.

As someone who grew up on the west coast of Vancouver Island fishing in big seas heres a trick we used to use.Head to the bulk store and grab a bag of candied ginger. Just keep a piece in your cheek if you start to feel nauseous. The ginger settles your stomach and the candied parts make the ginger a little more palatable.

warriorboy10
01-11-2019, 09:16 PM
I spend a lot of time on the left coast fishing and can get sicker than a dog! Over the years have tried transderm, gravol, ginger etc. these made me very dizzy and drowsy, might as well just get sick! A couple years ago I emailed a guide in Florida and asked what he would recommend for sea sickness, he said Bonine. Went to buy but not available in this fine country, anyway was able to find it on Amazon.ca, not sure why. The stuff has been incredible for me. Start taking it a couple days prior and before bed during and no issues. What I did find though is that it works much better the fresher it is. My experience!
I’ve been told that it is also available at Costco in the US and the cost is about 8 bucks for a bottle of a 100. Active ingredient is 25mg mechlezine. Give it a try!

Twin Valleys
01-11-2019, 10:31 PM
hey - thanks for the advice here, made a few notes and definitely going south prepared this year, don't want to hear the Kiwi's tell about their fishing adventures at happy hour - want to join them - fresh mahi mahi, yellow fin tuna, can't wait to fire up the resort's BBQ, all the best on your own fishing plans