PDA

View Full Version : One mans trash is another mans treasure

leeaspell
01-11-2019, 07:14 PM
So every spring our town does this community round up, you can put what ever you want out for the town to pick up and take to the dump for free. This is where I usually get old angle iron bed frames that I use for random stuff. On one street I found this little gem. It had a tag on it saying good compression but wont run. After a carb clean and a new plug it ran like a top. Took the bottom part of an old 6 inch hand auger and it fit right on there. Cuts 2 feet of ice like butter. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190112/462790527db91e4a241d0a70c0c8d051.jpg

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Dweb
01-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Helluva score !!!

7magtime
01-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Nice! Good on you for saving it from ending up in the landfill.

newscientist
01-11-2019, 11:12 PM
I like when I land a good deal or find a nice second hand gear. Yours is even better, a few repairs and you get yourself a nice auger. I'd go fishing just to be proud of it lol

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

fordtruckin
01-11-2019, 11:37 PM
Jealous! I have multiple friends who have scored like this with something that was faulty and didn’t work right only to give it a good cleaning and walk away grinning! Glad you saved it from going to the landfill! Makes me wonder how many good items get tossed every day because someone is clueless on how to work it.... pretty disgusting when you think about it.

Crankbait
01-11-2019, 11:47 PM
was walking through victoria b.c and a guy was putting a "free" sign on an 18' boston whaler. so I says, "really?" he says "yup!" I says "let me call my buddy". buddy was a mechanic and now has his own beautiful running boston whaler. guy who put for free was getting old, didn't have the energy to work on it, and now buddy with the boat takes old guy out fishing. so even steven in karma world.

leeaspell
01-12-2019, 07:01 AM
Jealous! I have multiple friends who have scored like this with something that was faulty and didn’t work right only to give it a good cleaning and walk away grinning! Glad you saved it from going to the landfill! Makes me wonder how many good items get tossed every day because someone is clueless on how to work it.... pretty disgusting when you think about it.I found a 10hp Outboard at the landfill a few years back that had one of the spark plug holes stripped. New head on ebay was $15, sold it for $200.

Sundancefisher
01-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Excellent

PlayDoh
01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Jealous! I have multiple friends who have scored like this with something that was faulty and didn’t work right only to give it a good cleaning and walk away grinning! Glad you saved it from going to the landfill! Makes me wonder how many good items get tossed every day because someone is clueless on how to work it.... pretty disgusting when you think about it.

It’s more disgusting than you could ever imagine. I drove dump truck for years with often dirt hauls to the landfill.
Never mind Joe Blow who tosses a thing or 2. It’s the businesses that toss truckloads of perfectly good things, sometimes brand new. To add to the waste, landfills won’t let anyone take them.
Big Box retailers crush their damaged products, regardless of how minor the damage is. Sometimes companies will use brokers to sell damaged and returned items, but it’s a tiny fraction of the total.

Savage Bacon
01-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Umm that was mine... left it at the end of the driveway to umm... dry in the sun...

You can bring it back to me. But I just moved today. Pm for new address... :scared0018:

Gerry
01-13-2019, 10:13 AM
I lived up there for years
Before they moved the dump, we used to go shopping (sic) there.
Got a 12 ft boat and a 20 hp motor. Changed out the plugs and epoxied the boat and everything was good.
Got an antique shotgun and a dirt bike out of the trunk of the junkers that were there.
Got a brand new baby change table with about a 1/4 inch tear in it, price tag still on it.
Got a bradly smoker, had to change the plug and it worked.
Got a walnut rifle rack, solid wood.
Life was good before they stopped you from picking. :happy0180:

fish99
01-13-2019, 03:01 PM
So every spring our town does this community round up, you can put what ever you want out for the town to pick up and take to the dump for free. This is where I usually get old angle iron bed frames that I use for random stuff. On one street I found this little gem. It had a tag on it saying good compression but wont run. After a carb clean and a new plug it ran like a top. Took the bottom part of an old 6 inch hand auger and it fit right on there. Cuts 2 feet of ice like butter. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190112/462790527db91e4a241d0a70c0c8d051.jpg

I have the same auger its over 30 years old and starts like a dream , use it mostly for drilling post holes now.