PDA

View Full Version : Labour law.

Chive
01-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Working in xxxcor 12 hours a day by 14 days straight,don’t get any overtime pay.Some said you sign to work at this agreement,you can’t go after them!So am I just sign my name then overwrite the law?

Weedy1
01-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Your post is unclear. Did you sign an overtime agreement?

zabbo
01-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Are you working directly for xxxcor or a contractor?? Last I heard overtime after 8 hours. Think there was also a clause for 44 hours per week, which meant you would go 4 hours regular time on Saturday if working weekends. Trades contractors in Calgary used to say, you can work all the hours you want, but the pay will be regular time. More than once, after a dispute, the employee went after the overtime pay and won it. They did need documentation to prove hours worked and pay received. I think the rigs have some of their own regulations if you are on one of those. Just a thought, but the names of people that rock the boat travel fast and far.
Might be better off to just find another employer? :)

JWCalgary
01-12-2019, 07:58 AM
OT should apply. It sounds like you signed an averaging agreement of some kind though. I would check with employment standards if you don't get a reasonable answer from your payroll folks. Working in xxxcor 12 hours a day by 14 days straight,don’t get any overtime pay.Some said you sign to work at this agreement,you can’t go after them!So am I just sign my name then overwrite the law?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

fishpro
01-12-2019, 08:28 AM
It depends, the standard is that anything over 8 hours is paid overtime, but there are many exceptions - some professions require more hours before overtime is paid, some don't receive overtime.

Also, as far as I know overtime agreements no longer allow you to bank hours at straight time, but I could be wrong on that.

JustBen
01-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Don’t you also get 14 days off in a row? Can’t have it both ways...

Okotok
01-12-2019, 08:46 AM
It depends, the standard is that anything over 8 hours is paid overtime, but there are many exceptions - some professions require more hours before overtime is paid, some don't receive overtime.

Also, as far as I know overtime agreements no longer allow you to bank hours at straight time, but I could be wrong on that.

Hours must be banked at 1.5 hours for every hour worked now.

ESOXangler
01-12-2019, 09:51 AM
You're working a compressed work week.

elkhunter11
01-12-2019, 09:53 AM
There are many versions of shifts and compressed work weeks, where a person works more than 8 hours without overtime, but they receive extra days off in return.
The company that I worked for allows workers to take double time pay for overtime, or single time in days off.

Chive
01-12-2019, 10:08 AM
So I sign an agreement the law is not apply to me anymore?My agreement overwrite the law?

elkhunter11
01-12-2019, 10:14 AM
So I sign an agreement the law is not apply to me anymore?My agreement overwrite the law?

You agree to work an alternate shift, you work longer days, more consecutive days, and in return, you receive more consecutive days off. Many workers prefer the extra days off in a row, especially the ones that work out of town. Not many people choose to work a 5x8 schedule , while working hundreds of miles from home. You do have the option of not accepting the job, if you aren't willing to work that schedule.

Flatlandliver
01-12-2019, 10:33 AM
You agree to work an alternate shift, you work longer days, more consecutive days, and in return, you receive more consecutive days off. Many workers prefer the extra days off in a row, especially the ones that work out of town. Not many people choose to work a 5x8 schedule , while working hundreds of miles from home. You do have the option of not accepting the job, if you aren't willing to work that schedule.

This.
I work 10’s and 14’s.
You need to review your contract. A contract can’t take you below the minimum employment standards but you need to know your rights first.
You can also contact the Alberta Labour Board if you think your getting the short end of the stick. Their answers may be more valid than a bunch of us “outdoorsmen”
https://www.alberta.ca/employment-standards.aspx

Dozer guy
01-12-2019, 10:39 AM
If your an operator in 955 or working under the mining agreement your rate is a blended rate with a higher hourly then normal. Always read the fine print and be happy your working cause a lot aren’t right now.

Dean2
01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
This.
I work 10’s and 14’s.
You need to review your contract. A contract can’t take you below the minimum employment standards but you need to know your rights first.
You can also contact the Alberta Labour Board if you think your getting the short end of the stick. Their answers may be more valid than a bunch of us “outdoorsmen”
https://www.alberta.ca/employment-standards.aspx

Spot on, call Alberta Labour, give them exact info instead of the nebulous stuff you posted, get a real answer from qualified people. Internet is not always the best research tool, let alone forums.

barbless
01-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Spot on, call Alberta Labour, give them exact info instead of the nebulous stuff you posted, get a real answer from qualified people. Internet is not always the best research tool, let alone forums.

So does that mean K- Court is adjourned? :) Just kidding people. All good and valid points. Did seismic many years ago and it was the same. Regular pay for all the hours and lots time off in between

wolfhunter
01-12-2019, 12:25 PM
I've worked for the same company for 18 yrs and have worked a 4x4 10.40 days for four and four days off. I have also never been paid holiday pay. That is the contract I signed. In the the end you get a lot of time off.