PDA

View Full Version : B.C. game poacher's trail of deadly blunders results in 10-year ban

bat119
01-12-2019, 07:25 AM
This guy should have got 10 years in jail then banned for life

The black bear's carcass lay off a northern B.C. wilderness back road, belly cut open, gall bladder removed.

It was late September 2014 and Li Zhu Liu's hunting party had been in the Pink Mountain area, nearly 1,400 km north of Vancouver, for a few days.

Liu had already killed a white-tailed deer that he mistook for a mule deer. Conservation officers caught up with the Richmond, B.C., man and his two companions while investigating the dead bear.

The hunters claimed they planned to go back for the remains, but forgot where they had left them.

Officers seized Liu's truck and rifle. But days later, Liu went to Fort St. John, about 150 kilometres south, leased another vehicle and bought another gun.

And within days, another bear — this time a grizzly — was dead.

More here
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hunting-grizzly-bear-liu-guns-1.4974005

elkhunter11
01-12-2019, 08:08 AM
A ban will accomplish nothing with this individual, prison time should result.

ReconWilly
01-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Hell no!, Feed him to the bears.

58thecat
01-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Ya but then we are paying for this hammerhead to eat and have a roof over his head, very stiff fine and 5000hrs community service every week-end cleaning ditches etc or helping out with conservation events cleaning trails etc, manual hard crappy labour.....but he probably won't show up so then solitary confinement, bread and water....the odd beating too....:fighting0030:

Greatwest
01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
It’s guys like this that give the rest of us a bad name with the Anti-Hunters or PETA groups. Just what they need is more ammo to fuel their fires. For that reason it sucks when stuff like this happens and also sucks that it hits the media. Sounds like he has gone back to China already but maybe he should have been deported and had his Canadian passport suspended like the criminals do when they are charged.

CaberTosser
01-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Anyone who kills a bear solely for its gall bladder is an idiot. I’m really curious how this witch-doctor nonsense got started and why it continues within that community. Curious also is the fellows ability to discern that single organ for harvest, almost as though he’s got previous experience in the matter....

Fish along
01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Its obvious he has lots of money,and cares little about our wildlife.Special laws should be put in place for special cases like this . Imagine if large groups of Asians came to Canada and did the same,they could seriously damage our wildlife populations,our laws are to soft for this kind of idiot. So he is gone back to China I wonder if he will go somewhere there and shoot a Panda for the gall bladder,if he did he wouldn't be getting a slap on the wrist like he did here.:angry3:

CaberTosser
01-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Its obvious he has lots of money,and cares little about our wildlife.Special laws should be put in place for special cases like this . Imagine if large groups of Asians came to Canada and did the same,they could seriously damage our wildlife populations,our laws are to soft for this kind of idiot. ...

Large groups of Asians already are damaging our wildlife resources due to their ridiculous beliefs such as medicinal benefit from bear gall bladders. I imagine that some of these ancient ‘medicines’ might have some benefit beyond that of the placebo effect of a charlatans snake oil, but I doubt bear gall bladders are among them. This is the same crowd that’s buying rhino horns, monkey testicles and all manner of rare animal parts so they can feel virile. I’m not sure if they’ve noticed, but they really don’t need help with virility because there’s nearly 1.4 billion of them...

This should have resulted in jail time and a lifetime firearms ban.

I tried sending a comment to the author to request that he somewhere use the word ‘poacher’ in the title or article body, but curiously it was not accepting my email address for the submission. I’m curious if that was a system error or if the politburo at CBC has red-flagged my email address.....?

HowSwedeItIs
01-12-2019, 12:13 PM
One of us should go over there and hunt pandas

CaberTosser
01-12-2019, 12:47 PM
One of us should go over there and hunt pandas

We could always just not return the two Pandas presently at the Calgary zoo until China starts an education program informing their citizens that products containing foreign/endangered / illegal animal parts are of no benefit to them. China has to be the worlds largest black market, it can only be so widespread due to massive governmental corruption.

elkhunter11
01-12-2019, 12:52 PM
The title is misleading, the individual described is a poacher, not a hunter.

Ken07AOVette
01-12-2019, 02:35 PM
A ban from doing something he does illegally anyway?

Big goddamn deal. Must be related to someone high up somewhere.

CaberTosser
01-12-2019, 03:26 PM
A ban from doing something he does illegally anyway?

Big goddamn deal. Must be related to someone high up somewhere.

Yup. Guy gets busted and his truck and firearms seized and he gets back at it a few days later? No guilty conscience there whatsoever. Its pathetic that his PAL was not permanently revoked.

Redfrog
01-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Of course killing bears for just the gall bladder is wrong, but many years ago, [nearly 50] I lived and hunted black bears in B.C. . I also had Asian friends I hunted with, both birds and big game. When we killed a bear they would take the gall bladder and the paws. The hide was sent to the taxidermist usually and the meat processed for our consumption. We never shot bears for paws and gall bladder but it did mean more animal was used. Of course today even posessing gall bladders or bear paws is illegal.

In this case i think he got off lightly. Wonder what he does for a living? I'd like to see pictures of him and the others charged made public

Scott h
01-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Those in his community would take wildlife crime seriously if he was deported.

Scott h
01-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Its obvious he has lots of money,and cares little about our wildlife.Special laws should be put in place for special cases like this . Imagine if large groups of Asians came to Canada and did the same,they could seriously damage our wildlife populations,our laws are to soft for this kind of idiot. So he is gone back to China I wonder if he will go somewhere there and shoot a Panda for the gall bladder,if he did he wouldn't be getting a slap on the wrist like he did here.:angry3:

They are already here doing just that.

Scott h
01-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Yup. Guy gets busted and his truck and firearms seized and he gets back at it a few days later? No guilty conscience there whatsoever. Its pathetic that his PAL was not permanently revoked.
Feeling guilt is a foreign emotion to many in his community.

bat119
01-12-2019, 04:27 PM
The title is misleading, the individual described is a poacher, not a hunter.

Bang on correct I changed it

Red Bullets
01-12-2019, 04:40 PM
This poacher was most likely selling the gall bladders too so his house should be taken because it was probably bought or partially bought with the proceeds of crime over the course of several years. Who knows how many bears he has shot over the years. A house and lot in Richmond is probably worth a bit.