PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher help

Glion
01-12-2019, 10:20 AM
So this summer we moved and the new place had a newer kitchen. Ie 3 yearsish. Now our whirlpool dishwasher is on the fritz. It won't run all the cycles. However I have reset it and then it will run a full wash. But the next wash it does the same thing just runs for a little bit and spits out the pod and stops. Judging by what I am seeing it seems to be electrical problem in the circuit board. I have looked up the model number etc and it seems to be 1 of the higher end models. Now my question is, is it worth it to get a repairman out for this or do I just go and get a new bosch? No idea on dishwasher repair costs. And I don't feel like flushing money down the drain on this thing. Ie if it costs 500 to fix it probably not worth it. Also I am outside Edmonton. Thanks in advance.

Dean2
01-12-2019, 10:35 AM
So this summer we moved and the new place had a newer kitchen. Ie 3 yearsish. Now our whirlpool dishwasher is on the fritz. It won't run all the cycles. However I have reset it and then it will run a full wash. But the next wash it does the same thing just runs for a little bit and spits out the pod and stops. Judging by what I am seeing it seems to be electrical problem in the circuit board. I have looked up the model number etc and it seems to be 1 of the higher end models. Now my question is, is it worth it to get a repairman out for this or do I just go and get a new bosch? No idea on dishwasher repair costs. And I don't feel like flushing money down the drain on this thing. Ie if it costs 500 to fix it probably not worth it. Also I am outside Edmonton. Thanks in advance.

If you can't fix it yourself and don't have a buddy that can do it, get a new one. New, on sale, they are 300-600 bucks.

bat119
01-12-2019, 11:05 AM
MY 3 year old GE dishwasher did the same, the part (mother board) was no longer available, obsolete after only 3 years with no choice we bought a new one.
I have fridge at the cabin running since 1956 all they make is junk these days.

303carbine
01-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Pull it out of the house, set it up in a safe place and blast it with buckshot.
Then bring the carcass to the closest recycle place and get scrap money for it, invest in new kitchen sink, problem solved.
Then you will have to train the wife and kids on how to use that strange metal thing in the counter top.

sirmike68
01-12-2019, 11:41 AM
does it give you any code errors?

sns2
01-12-2019, 11:43 AM
I have a 4 yr old Bosch and it too is on the fritz. Higher end is not always the answer.

Glion
01-12-2019, 11:53 AM
does it give you any code errors?

I have tried to run diagnostics on it but can't find the proper sequence to get it to run diagnostics can only find the sequence online that resets it.

Glion
01-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Any recommendations for brands or models? Just want something that works and lasts.

CaberTosser
01-12-2019, 12:03 PM
I’ve had odd luck with the two dishwashers at this house, which is ironic considering how many I’ve installed over the course of my career. Our Miele crapped out and was going to be way too expensive to fix so we got a different brand (forgetting, possibly Electrolux). While the Miele was awesome when it worked and was so quiet you’d not know it was going when there was any background noise the counterpoint was that they’re very monopolistic with their parts so one cannot shop around for repair pieces. They’re also fussy about having ‘certified installations’ for their warranty to be valid. Obviously I put mine in myself as it’s absurd to pay another person to install a machine of a type that I’ve personally installed literally hundreds of, especially when it’s an entry-level task in terms of technical prowess. I have no motivation to take their course and become a certified installer as it’s certainly not work I want to pursue.

If you’re living rurally I’d probably opt for a new machine in a quality brand as the travel time for a repair tech will add up. My longest lasting appliances ironically have all come from the scratch & dent section of appliance dealers, it’s the first part of the store I head for..

Dean2
01-12-2019, 12:13 PM
Modern appliances are built to U.S. consumer specs. Unlike Canadians who keep appliances for decades, the yanks change theirs out regularly. It is not unusual for them to be completely replaced every 5-10 years down there. Thus parts are not available for long and build quality fits the replacement cycle. Cheap models of known brands last the same length of time as their high end models. Models with fewer options, cycles etc last longer than more complicated versions.

Repair Stats for Dishwashers

https://applianceassistant.com/New-Appliances/Most-Reliable-Dishwashers.php

From Consumer Reports

Keep in mind that the life expectancy listed here is just a general guideline—depending on the model and brand of appliances you buy and how well you treat them, your gear might last longer or might need replacing even sooner.

So after you figure out where to buy appliances, be sure to check the brand-repair histories (available to subscribers) of the gear on our Appliances hub.

Appliance Life Expectancy (years)
Air Conditioners (room) 10
Air Conditioners (central) 15
Boilers (electric) 13
Boilers (gas) 21
Compactors 6
Dehumidifiers 8
Dishwashers 9
Dryers (electric and gas) 13
Freezers 11
Furnaces (electric warm air) 15
Furnaces (gas warm air) 18
Furnaces (oil warm air) 20
Garbage Disposers 12
Humidifiers 8
Microwave Ovens 9
Range/Oven Hoods 14
Ranges (electric) 13
Ranges (gas) 15
Refrigerators 13
Refrigerators (compact) 9
Thermostats 35
Washing Machines 10
Water Heaters (electric) 11
Water Heaters (gas) 10
Water Heaters (tankless) 20+

Okotok
01-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Modern appliances are built to U.S. consumer specs. Unlike Canadians who keep appliances for decades, the yanks change theirs out regularly. It is not unusual for them to be completely replaced every 5-10 years down there. Thus parts are not available for long and build quality fits the replacement cycle. Cheap models of known brands last the same length of time as their high end models. Models with fewer options, cycles etc last longer than more complicated versions.

Repair Stats for Dishwashers

https://applianceassistant.com/New-Appliances/Most-Reliable-Dishwashers.php

F

If it's like my Jennair (owned by Whirlpool) and has the control panel on the top edge of the door then you likely have the same issue many have with that design. The panel is subject to too much moisture between the panel and underside of the counter. I replaced my panel once. It was $600. The panel itself is around $500 if I recall. The repair guy said it helps if you leave the door open an inch or two immediately after the drying cycle is done. Anyway, if it goes again, new dishwasher time.

Trap30
01-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Thought our dishwasher was on the fritz awhile ago. It would not run a "light" load. Turns out the "pods" were the problem. Certain pods are made for a regular full load only. Don't ask me why, but it worked....

Trap30
01-12-2019, 05:25 PM
PS: don't eat the PODS.....sorry couldn't help it :)

flange
01-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Diagnostic info should be in an envelope behind the kick plate.
Is it flashing 7 times pause then 2 times ? If you send me a model number I can get you a tech sheet.

RandyBoBandy
01-12-2019, 06:49 PM
My dishwasher isn't co-operating either :scared0018: She's not doing the dishes on the schedule I've given her :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Glion
01-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Diagnostic info should be in an envelope behind the kick plate.
Is it flashing 7 times pause then 2 times ? If you send me a model number I can get you a tech sheet.

thank you for this it really helped... a bit boring staring at the underside of my countertop for the reflection from the lights. but in the end it flashes 7 times then 2 sec pause and 1 time. So it appears to be something with the heater but from that sheet it seems pretty vague... it can be anything from control panel to the heater to a heat sensor.

Glion
01-12-2019, 08:21 PM
My dishwasher isn't co-operating either :scared0018: She's not doing the dishes on the schedule I've given her :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Mine does.... need some helpful tips?

flange
01-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Could be the control.
Seen a lot of problems with the door latch switch as well.

Have any electrical test equipment ? Ohm out the heater and safety stat would tell you if they are the culprits.

Other issue could be a bad connection on the thermistor which senses the heat.

Glion
01-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Could be the control.
Seen a lot of problems with the door latch switch as well.

Have any electrical test equipment ? Ohm out the heater and safety stat would tell you if they are the culprits.

Other issue could be a bad connection on the thermistor which senses the heat.

model is WDT910SSYM3. Unfortunately I don't have much electrical eqp, used to dabble in that a bit but haven't in a long time. Just trying to do the self diagnostic thing and hoping it would be and easy fix. I dont thing it is the door latch as the door has to shut to run diagnostics so don't know if it would even start then.

flange
01-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Tough to fix without test equipment.
A lot of these use 2 switches on the door latch. 1 is for power to run the unit other is the neutral side for the heater. Switch overheats/connectors overheat from the amp draw. Without test equipment though you are only guessing.

As far as loading the dishwasher pour her a glass of wine.........:)

Indy
01-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Any recommendations for brands or models? Just want something that works and lasts.

Try Asko. Love ours.

Spidey
01-13-2019, 11:38 AM
Try Asko. Love ours.

x2! Our Asko is 14 years old and still doesn't miss a beat. I'm not totally sure, but I think having a water softener in the house can really prolong the life of a dishwasher.

TimeOff
01-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Miele, Had a couple others over the years, Asko lasted 5 but never washed very well, Bosch 6 years washed well but had to replace water valve and circuit board fried and was not worth part price.

Miele prices have come down with the new lineup focused on North American market. Couple years now and couldn't be happier, Washes super clean, cutlery tray on top is way better than basket, quietest one we've had. Have to put your ear to it to hear it run.

If it lasts as long as our Miele washer and drier, 15 years and going strong, I recommend them.

Fish along
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Like someone else said on here, if you cant fix it yourself probably better to get rid of it, I try to fix all my appliances generaly I get another few years out of them,unfortunately appliances aren't built to last more tha 5 years,good luck.

Glion
01-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Miele, Had a couple others over the years, Asko lasted 5 but never washed very well, Bosch 6 years washed well but had to replace water valve and circuit board fried and was not worth part price.

Miele prices have come down with the new lineup focused on North American market. Couple years now and couldn't be happier, Washes super clean, cutlery tray on top is way better than basket, quietest one we've had. Have to put your ear to it to hear it run.

If it lasts as long as our Miele washer and drier, 15 years and going strong, I recommend them.

Have been looking at these. Prices here seem to vary anywhere from 1400-3000. "Choke". But they seem to be excellent quality. I will check out asko, haven't ever heard of them to be honest.

Dean2
01-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Have been looking at these. Prices here seem to vary anywhere from 1400-3000. "Choke". But they seem to be excellent quality. I will check out asko, haven't ever heard of them to be honest.

You can buy between 3 and 8 regular dishwashers for that kind of money. It would have to last 60 years just to break even. Even a Bosche is only $700, and none of those are even on sale.

Just for example, Home Depot

Frigidaire 24-inch Built-In Dishwasher in White
(3)
$424.00
/ each

Whirlpool Heavy-Duty Dishwasher in White with 1-hour Wash Cycle
(537)
$544.00
/ each

TimeOff
01-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Yeah pricy for sure, bought ours on a sale event they have yearly I think, $250 off. They have 10% off or 10 year warranty offer on right now.

Dr. Phil A
01-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Ours decided Xmas day to become part of Xmas past. It is a GE which stands for generally expensive. Deemed it to be the board. Boxing day got a hold of reliable parts and they said that it was a discontinued item and it was 300 bucks. It has been pretty much repair free other than the pump which was an easy fix. When I looked at it originally there wasn't much to it a board and a pump. Nothing to really go wrong.

Off to Home Depot and they were having a appliance sale. 18 months interest free. Bought an LG and it was supposed to be here January 5th and no show. Supposed to be here on January 15th. We will see.

This LG has a quad wash (4 arms in the bottom instead of 2), a far more efficient top rack that can be lifted up or set down. Additional silverware rack on top. Supposed to work with WiFi too.

bat119
01-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Watch ordering from Home depot sometimes they ship from the factory I ordered a lawn mower 0 in Lloyd 60 in stock in Edmonton they shipped from New York 6 weeks and with tracking??? The same mower was in stock a week later so I bought local then the fight started I eventually got my money back They told me to just refuse delivery for the new York mower the delivery guys jaw dropped a foot when I told him.