PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake Trout moratality rate

MooseRiverTrapper
01-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Any guesses?

pikeman06
01-13-2019, 01:39 AM
One out of four in the winter. 2 out of four on a hot summer day. An absolute shame. Couple more years and sheez toast.

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Any guesses?

I would guess more in winter ,more people on lake ,more first timers , 30% mortality rate ,that's one reason were starting to fish Manitoba ,its only 6 hours farther and no pressure ,

1bowhunter12
01-13-2019, 07:44 AM
^pike man.. i am certainly no expert on this but I feel like this isn’t even remotely close... If I were to take a guess I would think more like 1 in 50 or more .. just think about it

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 08:00 AM
^pike man.. i am certainly no expert on this but I feel like this isn’t even remotely close... If I were to take a guess I would think more like 1 in 50 or more .. just think about it

Studies have shown 9% to 32% mortality rate in lake trout ,just because they swim away doesnt mean there not dead ,

Weavster
01-13-2019, 08:03 AM
I would guess more in winter ,more people on lake ,more first timers , 30% mortality rate ,that's one reason were starting to fish Manitoba ,its only 6 hours farther and no pressure ,

I have to agree with Whelen. The winter is very hard on them with the amount of people the lake see's as well as people wanting pictures as they are on their first lake trout trip and want pictures with every fish, however they are not prepared to take one. I have seen first hand on many occasions where these fish are out of the water for extended periods of times. When this happens more often then not their eyes have already been frozen as well as parts of their gills in some of the colder temps we experience.

I am not against getting a picture of your catch. All I say is be prepared pliers and release tools near by and have a phone/camera handy. One handy tip is have a pair of forceps clipped to a zipper/pocket flap so they are with you at all times.

Tight lines!

58thecat
01-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Well I put in the boat or to the boat well over a hundred per season and usually only about two,or three are floaters even after many attempts to revive, I take my time to retrieve as I got no choice, light tackle to enjoy the fight, which gives them time to burp....I just wish I could legally eat the few floaters.

Oh yeah we take pic but like mentioned be prepared to get it done real quick like.

Slimmy buggers sometimes slip out of my kungfoo grip and make thier escape without a pic:sHa_sarcasticlol:

skidderman
01-13-2019, 09:12 AM
If it was as high as what some are saying there would be dead fish all over the place. I doubt it's as high as being reported but then again what do I know.

Egymcara
01-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Lets be honest and go further then just lake trout. Most people who fish don't even know the basic limits and rules of the lake. Secondly, very few people actually know how to reel in a fish properly and handle them correctly. Add these things together along with the fish surviving when released and what do we get?

What chance do fish even have when people are using 50lb braided line and winching in every fish as fast as possible. People then jam there fingers into gills, eyes, etc.

I know avid fisherman that still do all of these things listed above.

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 09:40 AM
If it was as high as what some are saying there would be dead fish all over the place. I doubt it's as high as being reported but then again what do I know. after 20 years of guiding lake trout and Pike up north most of them sink to the bottom they don't float from my viewings

Weavster
01-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Well I put in the boat or to the boat well over a hundred per season and usually only about two,or three are floaters even after many attempts to revive, I take my time to retrieve as I got no choice, light tackle to enjoy the fight, which gives them time to burp....I just wish I could legally eat the few floaters.

Oh yeah we take pic but like mentioned be prepared to get it done real quick like.

Slimmy buggers sometimes slip out of my kungfoo grip and make thier escape without a pic:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I hear ya with the floaters it happens from time to time even with the best handling and not having them turn into bird food as its kind of a shame.

Here is a great article that I read a few years back with some numbers on mortality.The highest percent of mortality comes from set lines with bait. They say in the article that handling in the cold had limited effect on mortality but keep in mind these are with good catch and release practices within a timely matter by people who are experienced at this.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/icy-options-for-catch-and-release/

raw outdoors
01-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Looks like the Province needs to make a maditory fisherman safety corse before you are allowed to purchase your fishing licence.

Personally I don’t believe it is that high a %. members on here said they had caught 80 some fish in a single area over to days during first ice. Well if that is the case 20 or so of those fish would have died with this 30% mortality guys are tossing around. You can see under the ice in early season and you would notice 20 dead fish under the ice. Plus add up all the fish other people have caught the same days there would be 100s of floaters under the ice.

Yes things happen from time to time bad hook location. Fish slips out of your hands and take a thud. Fishes eyes freeze when guys don’t get them back in. Guys lifting by the gills. All sh*t that can and does happen.

Some stuff that doesn’t matter is reeling them in quickly, lake trout can let air out of there bladded unlike other fish so they don’t come up like a balloon. Getting them up quicker has proven to be effective in better release as the fish is not exhausted and can swim back to safety I’ve released.

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Good article but like you said those are experienced people knowing and ready for these fish ,most people I see on Cold Lake they got to run for their pliers or go get their camera their phone by then the fishes eyes are frozen the gills froze. It's all about experience and education hopefully people will read this article and learn more

RavYak
01-13-2019, 10:05 AM
In summer you regularly see floaters especially when guys are fishing 100+ fow. If you handle them well I would say only 5-10% but 10-20% for less experienced/more careless fishermen wouldn't surprise me at all and average is probably over 10%.

With lake trout you get mortality from the ones that don't burp right, bleeders/badly hooked fish, over played/stressed fish, frozen or kept out of water too long for pictures etc.

Of the fish that die only a handful of them are floaters that you don't see swim away. Lots swim away then die and of those some float back to the surface a ways away and lots sink to the bottom. People that base their handling skills/mortality rate off the inability of a fish to swim away are greatly underestimating their effects. When properly handled and not badly hooked a fish should swim away strongly.

Weavster
01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
I’m glad to see so many experienced and respected anglers chiming in on this topic as it is a very important one to protect our fisheries. I think in my next video I should/will do a little blurb on proper fish handling. The more people that learn the better.

If anyone wants to chime in with some tips or things that should be covered I will try to touch on them.

Savage Bacon
01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Good article but like you said those are experienced people knowing and ready for these fish ,most people I see on Cold Lake they got to run for their pliers or go get their camera their phone by then the fishes eyes are frozen the gills froze. It's all about experience and education hopefully people will read this article and learn more

Or people get a bite and then reel the poor thing in as fast as they can. Then like you said, spend all this time celebrating, then stick it back in the hole. Sometimes I can't stand watching some people's practices. I love my light action rods. Especially in summer. I'll take my time and enjoy the fight.

58thecat
01-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Looks like the Province needs to make a maditory fisherman safety corse before you are allowed to purchase your fishing licence.

Personally I don’t believe it is that high a %. members on here said they had caught 80 some fish in a single area over to days during first ice. Well if that is the case 20 or so of those fish would have died with this 30% mortality guys are tossing around. You can see under the ice in early season and you would notice 20 dead fish under the ice. Plus add up all the fish other people have caught the same days there would be 100s of floaters under the ice.

Yes things happen from time to time bad hook location. Fish slips out of your hands and take a thud. Fishes eyes freeze when guys don’t get them back in. Guys lifting by the gills. All sh*t that can and does happen.

Some stuff that doesn’t matter is reeling them in quickly, lake trout can let air out of there bladded unlike other fish so they don’t come up like a balloon. Getting them up quicker has proven to be effective in better release as the fish is not exhausted and can swim back to safety I’ve released.

From a good article....I have caught over the last 15 years on this lake literally over a thousand if you do the math 100 ish a year and have seen first hand the result of too quick of a haul from the depths etc

Indeed, the best indication of all that lake trout can tolerate and readily adjust to pressure changes is when you spot the fish on your sonar screen scoot up from deep water and chase your lure to the surface.

This is not the case, however, with many other species – especially walleye and bass.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, every 28 feet of water depth represents approximately one atmosphere of pressure. So, when you catch a walleye or bass in deep water, bring it to the surface and then hold it out of the water for even a brief period of time, the fish’s swim bladder expands like a balloon because of the reduced pressure. It is comparable to a diver suffering from the “bends” when he or she comes to the surface too quickly and just like it is life threatening for humans, it can be deadly for walleye and bass as well.

In addition to the swim bladder and pressure problems, of course, there are additional factors you need to consider, including the rupturing and haemorrhaging of blood vessels and internal organs.

That is why if you must bring a walleye or bass up from greater than 27 or 28 feet of water, it is important to keep it in the water while you unhook it. The water acts like a cushion and slows down the expansion of the swim bladder. It is also imperative that you release the fish as quickly as possible. Every second counts, so don’t even take it out of the water for a photo.

Fortunately, this is NOT the case with lake trout that have the ability to inflate and deflate their swim bladders to compensate for changes in water pressure. Indeed, if you’ve ever caught a lake trout (salmon or whitefish) from relatively deep water, you’ve likely seen air bubbles surfacing, as though there was a scuba diver below the boat. And you probably heard the fish “burping” when you finally landed it.

Lake trout

In the summer and early fall, it is common to catch lake trout in 60, 80, even 100 or more feet of water. And you can always tell when you’re bringing the fish through the thermocline and into the upper levels of the lake as you’ll see that tell-tale trail of bubbles popping at the surface.

And, as I mentioned, when you finally land the trout you’ll often hear it “gurgling” or “burping”.

In both instances, it is the fish’s way of reducing the pressure in its swim bladder and expelling air. If you land a small lake trout too quickly, however, it is possible that you won’t give it enough time to fully complete the pressure adjustment process. That is why fighting a lake trout slowly is the best way to bring it in.

(By the way, despite what most anglers think, the slow ascent method doesn’t work for walleye or bass because, unlike lake trout, they have a blockage / flap of skin that does not allow them to expel air. So, landing them quickly and releasing them as quickly as possible before their swim bladder can expand is the way to do it.)

Lake trout

If you don’t hear a trout burping after you’ve landed it, however, and you suspect the fish is having troubling expelling air from its swim bladder, try holding it with one hand around the wrist-like area in front of its tail. Then with the other hand gently but firmly push up on the fish’s stomach. You will often hear it “burp” when you do this and it is none the worse for wear.

Think of it as the doctor giving a newborn baby a gentle slap on the bottom.

Finally, you may be interested to know that recent research has reported virtually one hundred percent survival of lake trout, caught in deep water and released in the coldest part of the winter. The key was that the fish were caught using artificial lures and hooked in the mouth area, as opposed to with live or dead bait which often results in them taking the hook deeply into their throat and stomach areas.

So, release those big lake trout that you catch, so they can spawn and produce more fish. And enjoy the thought that they’re surviving just fine.

58thecat
01-13-2019, 10:25 AM
I’m glad to see so many experienced and respected anglers chiming in on this topic as it is a very important one to protect our fisheries. I think in my next video I should/will do a little blurb on proper fish handling. The more people that learn the better.

If anyone wants to chime in with some tips or things that should be covered I will try to touch on them.

You should it would be beneficial to those who chase the Giants of the deep.

Tight lines.

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Also for Cold Lake since you hardly catch a keeper anymore, the whole Province should be barbless but if nothing else at least that Lake should be.

huntsfurfish
01-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Lactic acid build up from a prolonged fight is fatal to fish as well.

58thecat
01-13-2019, 11:54 AM
Also for Cold Lake since you hardly catch a keeper anymore, the whole Province should be barbless but if nothing else at least that Lake should be.

Yup, pinch those barbs, easier to remove when you get hooked too:scared0015:

MooseRiverTrapper
01-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Barbless and slot. Catch your keeper and go home. Not sift through 30 fish measuring all the larger ones like it is now.

cranky
01-13-2019, 12:32 PM
I made a clip on belt holster to hold my pliers. Has a little velcro strap to stop them from slipping out when not needed. When i get to where im fishing i clip it on the belt and when done it goes in the back pack with everything else i bring along. That way its not in the way poking at you in the truck when driving. Easy to hand. Its always there instantly if needed no looking around to where you left it from last fish. Helps get fish back in water quickly.
I dont care for hemostats they are a bit fiddly for me.

raw outdoors
01-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Here you go. Hook a laker reel it up, bring it up the hole cut entirely through on one end, measure it release it back down the hole cut entirely through on the other end. It is labour intensive, guys that does all the talking but never practices what they preach, I have never seen anyone doing this Method except a select few who actually do care.
I will be out there this week. For everyone I see using this method you get one free sweet chilli elk pepperoni stick. My pockets will be full of them

sellingforaliving
01-13-2019, 02:36 PM
A lot of discussion about proper catch and release methods. My question is where does one go to get this type of information. There is lots of information on the internet but how much of it is correct and relevant to our geography? I am newer to fishing, come from a family of non-fishers and don't have any mentors so everything that I know about fishing is based on reading and my best guess. I would be all for a one or two day training session - fish identification, habitat, identifying fishing locations, how to catch, how to release, how various lures work and why use them. I have looked around and don't really see any "fishing training" available in the Edmonton market. If you happen to know of anything would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I would rather be fishing "correctly" if I could.

35 whelen
01-13-2019, 03:50 PM
y tube its all there ,uncut angling ,clayton shick outdoors .

swampy45
01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Here you go. Hook a laker reel it up, bring it up the hole cut entirely through on one end, measure it release it back down the hole cut entirely through on the other end. It is labour intensive, guys that does all the talking but never practices what they preach, I have never seen anyone doing this Method except a select few who actually do care.
I will be out there this week. For everyone I see using this method you get one free sweet chilli elk pepperoni stick. My pockets will be full of them

Come by the big round Eskimo tent... I’ll be waiting for my ‘roni!

dustinjoels
01-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Shhhhhh!!!!

You want to protect fishing, maybe stop mentioning that people catch hundreds if not thousands of fish for sport with 10-30% mortality rates. Want to get antis fired up?

RavYak
01-13-2019, 05:41 PM

A lot of discussion about proper catch and release methods. My question is where does one go to get this type of information. There is lots of information on the internet but how much of it is correct and relevant to our geography? I am newer to fishing, come from a family of non-fishers and don't have any mentors so everything that I know about fishing is based on reading and my best guess. I would be all for a one or two day training session - fish identification, habitat, identifying fishing locations, how to catch, how to release, how various lures work and why use them. I have looked around and don't really see any "fishing training" available in the Edmonton market. If you happen to know of anything would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I would rather be fishing "correctly" if I could.

Here you guys go.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=3910851#post3910851

58thecat
01-14-2019, 05:52 AM
Barbless and slot. Catch your keeper and go home. Not sift through 30 fish measuring all the larger ones like it is now.

Or move onto another species, pike, walleye, perch, whitefish, burbot etc....don't just packe it in as a day on the water is awesome.

58thecat
01-14-2019, 05:56 AM
Shhhhhh!!!!

You want to protect fishing, maybe stop mentioning that people catch hundreds if not thousands of fish for sport with 10-30% mortality rates. Want to get antis fired up?

Ahhh they get fired up over a goldfish floating in a fish tank at a pet store....or those on pens that come in a box....poor goldfish turned into crackers:snapoutofit:

pikehunter1989
01-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Old mr ken wichopen must be monitoring the forum even though it’s such a “joke” according to him. For those who don’t know who he is.. he used to run a 15 minute bit on a cold Lake radio station about fishing in the area. Made accusations about a group of us that do overnight trips, took pictures of our group from afar and posted to Facebook saying we were poachers and even called us in to F&W for keeping an undersized laker (which it definitely wasn’t)

H

raw outdoors
01-14-2019, 10:30 AM
Look like I am famous. Should I get some kind or compensation for them reusing my post? I copyrighted the fishman eduction corse. Hahah I couldn’t bother to waist my time and look but i would put my money on it that ken wichopen is not his name on the form ether.

My opinion on these forms is they can get a bit goofy but it is opinions and made up statistics most of the time but it brings out good conversations to learn what to do and what not to do sometimes.

I will let everyone know if I get payed for my copyrighted post

MooseRiverTrapper
01-14-2019, 12:13 PM
Old mr ken wichopen must be monitoring the forum even though it’s such a “joke” according to him. For those who don’t know who he is.. he used to run a 15 minute bit on a cold Lake radio station about fishing in the area. Made accusations about a group of us that do overnight trips, took pictures of our group from afar and posted to Facebook saying we were poachers and even called us in to F&W for keeping an undersized laker (which it definitely wasn’t)

H

Disgruntled old timer.

pikeman06
01-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Lots of protein going to waste whether it's 10 percent or 50 percent. There's gotta be a better way...maybe a season or one small one. Everyone is fishing for a keeper anyway. Protect the 65 plus centimeter ones so at least you protect what's in there now and have a chance for the fishery to sustain. Killing big numbers of nice Lakers that are just under the legal limit is ridiculous at this day and age. Haven't we roasted enough fisheries in alberta to at least try to keep a few breeders out of the freezer?

Mackinaw
01-14-2019, 10:35 PM

H

i thought that his report was about the "CRAP" (literally) ..... you left on the ice!!!!

mack

pikehunter1989
01-15-2019, 08:27 AM
i thought that his report was about the "CRAP" (literally) ..... you left on the ice!!!!

mack

That was the first time when we did a very large gathering and yes there was a few people that were the last to leave did leave a mess after telling us they would clean up before leaving. I was the one who went back to clean everything up. Those people don’t join us on our overnight trips anymore and it’s kept to a close bit group of us now and when we leave there’s nothing but foot prints left behind. Then the next year he took pictures and reported us and made many false accusations about the group.

35 whelen
01-15-2019, 08:36 AM
You would think the town or m.d. would put some port a pottys on the lake 2 or 3 would do ,lots of income come from us fisherman ?

pikehunter1989
01-15-2019, 09:15 AM
You would think the town or m.d. would put some port a pottys on the lake 2 or 3 would do ,lots of income come from us fisherman ?

Unfortunately in this day and age they would likely just get vandalized

35 whelen
01-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Ain't that true,

Mike_W
01-15-2019, 10:48 AM
And what is the retention size there again 1 over 75 cm or something?

It is crazy to me why not have a small size like 45cm or something with mortality rates what there are guys catch fish non stop to find a "keeper" which in the case of a 75cm laker must be about 18 to 20 years old and taste like garbage anyway.

leeelmer
01-15-2019, 11:29 AM
And what is the retention size there again 1 over 75 cm or something?

It is crazy to me why not have a small size like 45cm or something with mortality rates what there are guys catch fish non stop to find a "keeper" which in the case of a 75cm laker must be about 18 to 20 years old and taste like garbage anyway.

While I agree in principle about the smaller sized fish as a keeper, the problem the Bio told me is then, in a given week with lets say 300-500 people fishing, then there will be 300-500 fish taken out, because most catch at least one that size.
While they understand that the 75cm plus are the big breeders, there are less of them, and most don't catch that many, Then there are only a few fish leaving the lake each day, not hundreds.
Barbless, and nothing over 75cm, and one lets say from 45-55cm might help I don't know.

wildbill
01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
There would be huge variance between anglers, nubes vs experienced, some I’ve witnessed (not just nubes) just have zero respect for the animal letting it just flop around on the ice/shore, not usin a net or handling the fish with dry hands, treble hooks don’t help either. Numbers would depend on the specific angler and species. I don’t think you’d ever get accurate mortality numbers.

Mike_W
01-15-2019, 12:12 PM
While I agree in principle about the smaller sized fish as a keeper, the problem the Bio told me is then, in a given week with lets say 300-500 people fishing, then there will be 300-500 fish taken out, because most catch at least one that size.
While they understand that the 75cm plus are the big breeders, there are less of them, and most don't catch that many, Then there are only a few fish leaving the lake each day, not hundreds.
Barbless, and nothing over 75cm, and one lets say from 45-55cm might help I don't know.

Right I get the theory however when you put mortality rates into the equation is it better to catch and release 20 small fish to find the "big one"

I only catch and release at cold lake as I think the fish taste horrible but I also know there is a pile of guys that catch until they land their keeper and pack it in.
I would hope that my own fish handling results in a lesser mortality rate and in my own experience it seems the fish that get hooked the worse are the smaller trout and to be honest I would keep a smaller fish if it was hooked deep.
Another option might be a slot size to limit the catch say a 45-55 cm fish would be all you can retain. This might limit the greedy guys that keep 15lb fish from even going.
Lots of options but I really don't think we have it right the way it currently is. slot limits for fish have been successfully implemented in several provinces and states with success yet here they would prefer we buy tags :thinking-006:

58thecat
01-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Ya but unfortunately they would end up vandalized and dragged all over the lake, we got a lot of problem children up here....so walk off to shore, find a nice tree to hunker down:sHa_sarcasticlol:

58thecat
01-16-2019, 06:03 AM

That's exactly the problem and why regs are implemented people can't regulate themselves even if they caught a keeper in a say slot size.....too much keeping and not enough releasing so here we are stuck in a crappy place because of hammerheads not able to catch and release....