PDA

View Full Version : How t find out if a company is legit

Fish along
01-13-2019, 12:10 PM
With all the scammers that are on the go these days, is there a foolproof way to find out if a certain company is on the up and up? Thank you for any replies.

Cement Bench
01-13-2019, 12:31 PM
we need more information, u can do a corporate search but we do not know what industry u are questioning

Sigma
01-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Check the Better Business Bureau website.

fishtank
01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
if its too good to be true .. it probably is

fishtank
01-13-2019, 12:33 PM

lol they are a scam as well, google probably has a more realistic reviews .

CaberTosser
01-13-2019, 12:37 PM

The BBB lost its credibility and usefulness a long time ago. Deal with one unhinged nutjob that they take seriously and its way more trouble than its worth. Social media feedback replaced them but many have not clued in to that quite yet. There's an endless number of companies who want a businesses money to put them on their 'good list' and the BBB is no different, just one of many outfits looking for a percent.

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2019, 12:41 PM
Phone me :)

Deep
01-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Totally agree Caber...useless for sure.

Dean2
01-13-2019, 12:46 PM
With all the scammers that are on the go these days, is there a foolproof way to find out if a certain company is on the up and up? Thank you for any replies.

Even legitimately incorporated companies with real websites and premises can be scammers, or just really bad at what they do. So much depends on what is is you are buying, product, services, information, IT consulting etc. Far and away the easiest place to start is Google the company name, then the name with with "Reviews" :"Complaints" in the search. If nothing comes up when you search the name that is the first warning sign. If it has no Google or other independent reviews or has lots of complaints you decide.

There is NO, Easy, Foolproof way to check out a company you have never done business with but the internet has sure helped make it easier. It has also outed a ton of really badly run businesses.

32-40win
01-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Internet searches help, if that looks reasonable, or search to see if there are creditors, associations or competitors to check with in their area that can vouch for their legitimacy or maybe have dealt with them.

Fish along
01-13-2019, 01:50 PM
Even legitimately incorporated companies with real websites and premises can be scammers, or just really bad at what they do. So much depends on what is is you are buying, product, services, information, IT consulting etc. Far and away the easiest place to start is Google the company name, then the name with with "Reviews" :"Complaints" in the search. If nothing comes up when you search the name that is the first warning sign. If it has no Google or other independent reviews or has lots of complaints you decide.

There is NO, Easy, Foolproof way to check out a company you have never done business with but the internet has sure helped make it easier. It has also outed a ton of really badly run businesses.

Thank you for your reply, im inquiring because of a service that I just acquired on line it certainly seems legit,ive already paid 200 dollars down and so much per month for a year,now im thinking that I could possibly have been scammed.

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your reply, im inquiring because of a service that I just acquired on line it certainly seems legit,ive already paid 200 dollars down and so much per month for a year,now im thinking that I could possibly have been scammed.

What did they give/offer you for the money?

Grizzly Adams
01-13-2019, 02:05 PM
The BBB lost its credibility and usefulness a long time ago. Deal with one unhinged nutjob that they take seriously and its way more trouble than its worth. Social media feedback replaced them but many have not clued in to that quite yet. There's an endless number of companies who want a businesses money to put them on their 'good list' and the BBB is no different, just one of many outfits looking for a percent.

Yup, Better Business endorsement doesn't mean a thing, just another con game.

Grizz

Fish along
01-13-2019, 02:19 PM
What did they give/offer you for the money?

They sent a package in the mail,with further instructions,and a thank you for first payment.

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Did you receive what they promised?
What's the issue?
More to the point- which continent?

Fish along
01-13-2019, 04:45 PM
Did you receive what they promised?
What's the issue?
More to the point- which continent?

It will be gotten over a yearly period,Canadian company,and im just having second thoughts after making the deal over the phone.

Dewey Cox
01-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Is it a martial aid company?
That would explain why you're dancing around the specifics...
;)

RavYak
01-13-2019, 05:44 PM
Send me the details and $500 and I'll let you know if they are legit lol.

Try and do a search for reviews etc. If you can't find any info on them and it seems to good to be true or things seem fishy then they probably are.

drhu22
01-13-2019, 05:54 PM
Google "service or company+forum"
Honest, non biased review sites are hard to find. Forums and blogs are probably your best bet.

RandyBoBandy
01-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Better call Saul :sHa_sarcasticlol: In this case, Better call KEN :)

pittman
01-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Check the BBB. Also, just google the company name, or the CEO/Owner. That can turn up a great deal of information as often the problematic businessmen just flip over their business when things go south.

Grizzly Adams
01-13-2019, 08:39 PM
They sent a package in the mail,with further instructions,and a thank you for first payment.

Instructions didn't say, do not use in bright sun light ? :lol:

Grizz

CaberTosser
01-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Instructions didn't say, do not use in bright sun light ? :lol:

Grizz

Don't feed them after midnight!

ESOXangler
01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Watch the google reviews. Needed a part for the garage door and there was a local company with amazing reviews. I called and the lady barely spoke a lick of English and was cold. So I googlefu'd a little harder and noticed that all the reviewers had a few things in common. One lived in Brooklyn but loved the company in beaumont. Another lived in brampton loved the company in beaumont. It was a scam!

ghostguy6
01-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Even google reviews can be biased. I know of quite a few companies that require their employees to post positive reviews or hire someone to create multiple fake profiles to post reviews. There are even companies out there specializing in this sort of thing.
The BBB is useless, even if there is a complaint filed it does not mean the company is actually legitimate. It just means they were issued a business license.
The only person you can trust is yourself at this point.