PDA

View Full Version : Travel Reccomendations

tbiddy
01-13-2019, 05:24 PM
I just found out that the clients I’ve been looking after dont’t sound they’ll be doing anymore drilling till June. So I unexpectedly have a few months off. Been pretty crazy busy with work for the last couple years so not worried about $$ right now. It’s just me and the wife so we’re thinking we may go be beach bums for a few weeks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for somewhere that is relatively cheap when you get there (ie Food/VRBO)? We’ve done Mexico a bunch but would like to try something different. Hawaii has cheap flights (and we’ve been to Maui a few times) but with the exchange, a multi week holiday will add up. Beach and sun are the only real requirements.

Red Bullets
01-13-2019, 05:56 PM
I know a couple that went to the Fiji Islands and from there they hopped around the islands. Besides the 3K airfare for two, it cost the couple about 4.5K while there for a 6 week stay. They said they could have done it cheaper if they had used the hostels instead of hotels.

Okotok
01-13-2019, 06:04 PM
My brother swears by Costa Rica. Ecuador and Panama are both worth checking out too.

pittman
01-13-2019, 06:11 PM
My wife and I enjoyed Aruba. Prices weren't bad.

sns2
01-13-2019, 06:43 PM
For me its a no-brainer. Vietnam. Amazing food and culture, crazy nice beaches. Cheap cheap cheap

Prairiewolf
01-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Try Cuba - some cayos (Islands?) are secluded and really relaxing. We did Cayo Santa Maria awhile back, really enjoyed it.

Would like to have seen Havana though. Try that?

kingrat
01-13-2019, 07:07 PM
So far Cayo Santa Marie for me is by far the nicest beaches and water I've seen. We stayed at the sanctuary last year, its adults only and top notch as far as cuba goes.

vinny
01-13-2019, 07:30 PM
We couldn’t get enough of Kauai. Super chill, small island, amazing beaches. Costa Rica was great as well.

tbiddy
01-13-2019, 07:35 PM
I know a couple that went to the Fiji Islands and from there they hopped around the islands. Besides the 3K airfare for two, it cost the couple about 4.5K while there for a 6 week stay. They said they could have done it cheaper if they had used the hostels instead of hotels.
We’re both in our early 40’s so the hostel days are behind us. Will definitely have to be a hotel. Didn’t think Fiji was affordable but will have to look into it

My brother swears by Costa Rica. Ecuador and Panama are both worth checking out too.
Costa Rica is on the radar as well as Ecuador, Panama, Hondouras.

My wife and I enjoyed Aruba. Prices weren't bad.
We did Curaçao this spring for 2 weeks. The most beautiful water/beaches we’ve seen.

tbiddy
01-13-2019, 07:37 PM
For me its a no-brainer. Vietnam. Amazing food and culture, crazy nice beaches. Cheap cheap cheap

The wife isn’t super adventurous but I’m pushing for something like this.

omega50
01-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Would like to go to Roatan sometime in the future.

Dewey Cox
01-13-2019, 08:15 PM
Antigua.
You'll have to fly to Toronto or somewhere first, and that's the only downside, but if you're going for a couple weeks shouldn't be a problem.
Before we went we inquired about shots. They said we didn't need any, as they are a first world country.
Our Fishing boat captain showed us where Mick Jagger moors his yacht when he comes.
I often felt it was too nice a place for the likes of me.

Etownpaul
01-13-2019, 08:27 PM

I just got back from 3 weeks in Vietnam last week. It’s an incredible country. It’s quite well traveled these days so it’s not the crazy exotic destination it once was. Most people in any sort of hospitality role speak English.

The prices are simply unbelievable for what you get. We were paying $40-50/night for a nice hotel with a pool. Budget hotels are $20-30/ night. Hostels are even less but we are too old to find them appealing. Lots of new family run hotels are popping up and they are generally better run and better value than the chains.

The food is great, but I loved Viet food long before I went there so I’m biased. Beer is good and cheap. We gained some weight because when food is so cheap, it’s hard not to try an order of spring rolls at every little bar you stop into.

Grizzly Adams
01-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Gonna add that to my list. Found a good deal for China, but that's not till September.

Grizz

Deemoss
01-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Egypt! Red Sea is phenomenal. And if you dive it'll be even better

tbiddy
01-13-2019, 09:16 PM
I just got back from 3 weeks in Vietnam last week. It’s an incredible country. It’s quite well traveled these days so it’s not the crazy exotic destination it once was. Most people in any sort of hospitality role speak English.

The prices are simply unbelievable for what you get. We were paying $40-50/night for a nice hotel with a pool. Budget hotels are $20-30/ night. Hostels are even less but we are too old to find them appealing. Lots of new family run hotels are popping up and they are generally better run and better value than the chains.

The food is great, but I loved Viet food long before I went there so I’m biased. Beer is good and cheap. We gained some weight because when food is so cheap, it’s hard not to try an order of spring rolls at every little bar you stop into.

What would be a 2 week itinerary be like? Where would you suggest starting?

01-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Vietnam is very affordable.
Especially accommodations
Can get A/C hotel rooms with a pool for $10-20
Meals in a restaurant start around $3
Street food can be had for $1

Just be aware that everywhere you go people will try to scam you.
Don’t expect to be given change, if you pay with more than the item costs (price just suddenly doubles or triples) but there are occasional honest vendors.
police are corrupt and will extort you if the opportunity arises
The cities and touristy areas are the worst.

I personally will spend my time elsewhere in the future.
Thailand is only slightly more expensive and the people are very friendly.
Cambodia is also quite cheap (although less developed) with very friendly locals.

I’ve been to over 20 countries and have never run into so many nasty locals
You are viewed as a walking wallet that owes them something.

If you can get past that then it is a neat country to explore and has Beautiful natural areas.

And some of the best coffee I’ve ever had.

This article sums it up nicely for anyone interested.
http://thehungrysuitcase.com/25-things-to-know-before-traveling-in-vietnam/

I’d suggest packing light, carrying hidden money (with not much in your actual wallet)
Be wary of anyone that approches you
Research common scams extensively
Get 2-3 prices on any big purchases before buying
Don’t be afraid to haggle
Ask prices on everything before buying and make sure its clear what is included.
and be aware of local beliefs

Ken07AOVette
01-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Make sure you check out VRBO (vacation rental by owner) before you book. It has save us thousands on hotel/condo stays.
For example, we always stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset, regular room rate is about $285 USD plus fees plus cleaning plus $25/day parking plus taxes, VRBO was $150 CAD all in. One Condo owner I have rented from lives in Edmonton.

Turned a 8 day break into a 3 week holiday. :)

tbiddy
01-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Check that. Wife isn’t too interested in the adventure. More of a find a VRBO, pit in for a couple weeks and day trip around.

Back to the research....

Etownpaul
01-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Most international flights land in Ho Chi Minh city (aka Saigon). That’s in the south of the country and very hot. We were advised to travel from north to south so you can acclimate to the hot weather better. I’m glad we did so. You can hop intra country flights for cheap, like $25 per person cheap. We did this instead of taking trains just to save time.

We flew from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi immediately after we landed in Vietnam. Hanoi is too crazy for me, crazy traffic and no beach, but it’s worth seeing for a couple days. We went from Hanoi to Ha Long bay. Most people take cruises here to see the bay. We did a 2 day 1 night deal but it’s really only 24hrs on the boat, I wish we did 2 nights.

We then flew to Hue, which is an awesome town. Lots to see there, probably 3 days worth. Caught a cab to Hoi An, nice beach there and a historic old town, stay there 2-3 days.

Flew to Nha Trang for 2 days after that. It’s one of the nicest beaches I’ve seen anywhere in my travels. Reminds me of Rio’s Copacabana beach except it’s clean. It’s a big destination for Russians looking for a beach vacation. If you are looking to be a beach bum this is probably where you want to be.

then we went to Da Lat up in the mountains. It’s a mild climate and it’s refreshing compared to other places. Probably worth 2-3 days. Then fly back to Ho Chi Minh and hang out there for a few days and head home from there.

For places that are close together, you can rent a private car & driver for about $10/hr Canadian. Plus the driver will take you to a bunch of roadside stops and such. Beats the hell out of being crammed on a bus fully of smelly 21 year old backpackers.

DOGFISH
01-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Check out Pacific Grove in Monterey California. We stay for $1600 Can. Per week based on 2 people. We can fly here to Phoenix then to Monterey Regional airport, accommodations and rental car for 8 days. Cheaper per day if we stay longer. Wife and I have travelled all over except Mexico and now do not go any where else. Lots to do or not, warm without being hot. Miles of different beaches and coastlines with tons of access. Safe, easy to get to, many airport options like San Francisco, San Jose and others that are direct flights. Dogfish

MooseRiverTrapper
01-14-2019, 05:55 AM
Lethbridge can be windy but nice, maybe nisku or slave lake. Wainwright, westlock and bashaw all worth a look.

sns2
01-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Lethbridge can be windy but nice, maybe nisku or slave lake. Wainwright, westlock and bashaw all worth a look.

Nisku all the way.

Chaw
01-14-2019, 10:18 AM
I will agree with Costa Rica, a great place.

Curacao has beautiful beaches and is safe and quiet.

Roatan for good snorkeling and a more cultural experience.

Definately make use of Airbnb or vrbo. You will almost always get much better accomodations and a greater experience that way.

tbiddy
01-14-2019, 10:39 AM
I will agree with Costa Rica, a great place.

Curacao has beautiful beaches and is safe and quiet.

Roatan for good snorkeling and a more cultural experience.

Definately make use of Airbnb or vrbo. You will almost always get much better accomodations and a greater experience that way.

We’re not big fans of all inclusive resorts. Did one last year and doing one with a group in March. If we’re doing a week, we’ll look at a resort but any longer a VRBO is much better. Looking into Roatan to see what it’s all about.

alex8486
01-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Cuba. Varadero, golf club's ponds are good places for fishing barracuda.

Dean2
01-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Spain, Portugal, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Hungary are all cheap, friendly and safe. Lots of inexpensive flights. Lots of VRBO options for places to stay. If you want heat and beaches this time of year, Spain, Greece and Portugal would be the choices.

If you want a real short flight, Arizona or Texas. VRBO is cheap, really cheap flights, nice and warm, Arizona no beaches. Texas has lots of beaches, same cheap flights and accommodation, even with the exchange.

Okotok
01-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Spain, Portugal, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Hungary are all cheap, friendly and safe. Lots of inexpensive flights. Lots of VRBO options for places to stay. If you want heat and beaches this time of year, Spain, Greece and Portugal would be the choices.

If you want a real short flight, Arizona or Texas. VRBO is cheap, really cheap flights, nice and warm, Arizona no beaches. Texas has lots of beaches, same cheap flights and accommodation, even with the exchange.

The Mediterranean beaches are a little cool this time of year. Say 15C daytime temps.

TROLLER
01-14-2019, 03:59 PM
#1 BE SAFE

you said $ not an issue so why not just go somewhere that everyone speaks your lingo they take your cards and most of all no bad guys who want to rob or just blow something up.

I have traveled over the years to most all the places mentioned here and a few more in my job and for a nice safe warm beach it is Maui, Florida Aussiland

tbiddy
01-14-2019, 06:37 PM
#1 BE SAFE

you said $ not an issue so why not just go somewhere that everyone speaks your lingo they take your cards and most of all no bad guys who want to rob or just blow something up.

I have traveled over the years to most all the places mentioned here and a few more in my job and for a nice safe warm beach it is Maui, Florida Aussiland

Being safe is #1 but going outside the comfort zone is part of the adventure. Money is somewhat of an issue. Don’t want to blow a whole ton of dough when I’m not working but I’ve had around 2 weeks off since last June. The time off is appreciated. Accommodations and food being the majority of a 2-3 week holiday budget we’d like to be somewhat thrifty.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We’ll keep doing some research

ardionty
01-15-2019, 03:03 AM
I just returned from Fiji and it was great. Was there for 4 weeks with a 3K budget.

crocker038
01-15-2019, 03:45 AM
lol wainwright!!!

nobody has suggested thailand?!

tinmoc
01-30-2019, 07:06 AM
Hi,
I was in Alanya with my family last summer and it was really terrific! Nice weather, Sunny beaches, All-inclusive hotel, nice food and sightseeing. What can I say except: Go! :sHa_shakeshout:

baticus
01-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Jamaica hands down. We flew into montego bay last may. Stayed at the Hilton Rose hall resort. Lots to do on or near the resort. Some of the highlights would be the luminous lagoon, or the deep sea fishing.

tinmoc
02-19-2019, 08:06 AM
If Beach and sun are the only real requirements then all central America is pretty cool, esp Costa Rica is paradise.

scesfiremedic
02-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Not sure Vietnam is safe after seeing this:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-couple-seriously-injured-in-acid-attack-during-vacation-in-vietnam-1.4300357

Peacepipe
02-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Albufeira, Portugal
Lots of beach and lots to see in area.

tinmoc
02-20-2019, 04:10 AM
I also loved it at the beaches of San Diego.

Ernian
02-25-2019, 06:33 AM
I would say you cant go wrong with Bermuda. Especially the surroundings of Horseshoe Bay Beach in Southampton! That place is magical!

stubblejumper01
02-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Not sure Vietnam is safe after seeing this:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-couple-seriously-injured-in-acid-attack-during-vacation-in-vietnam-1.4300357

Also the measles outbreak in Vancouver was started by a family that had traveled to Vietnam with their unvaccinated children and one of them contracted the disease. It has now spread to the 2 schools their children attend

HVA7mm
02-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is supposed to be beautiful, safe and relatively inexpensive.

tbiddy
02-25-2019, 06:28 PM
Think we’ve decided to go to Costa Rica in 10 days. Have a couple buddies taking the wives down to Tamarindo and have a spare villa. Just trying to find relatively cheap flights. Also doing an AI in Cancun. Do Costa Rica for a week. Come home for a day, do laundry and fly down to Mexico.

Never done CR before. Any recommendations?

HVA7mm
02-25-2019, 08:09 PM
If you feel like going for a drive on the Nicoya peninsula, on the southern tip Mal Pais, Cabuya and Montezuma are pretty nice. Drove around there on a wore out DT175 about 18 years ago.

thing
02-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Costa Rica is fantastic. We spent 10 days in Tamarindo 4 years ago plus a bunch of time at the Arenal Observatory lodge.

Rent a car and explore!! Lots to see and do. Every minute you spend in the villa is a wasted minute you could be out exploring the beautiful country.

The fact that you are doing a All Inclusive in Mexico is perfect to relax after a busy week in CR.

Why on earth would you fly home for 1 day from CR only to go back to Mexico. Fly to Cancun from Liberia. Your Costa Rican Villa will have all the amenities of home, do laundry there. You will save money on flights not to mention a few days of travel.

tbiddy
02-26-2019, 03:42 PM
Costa Rica is fantastic. We spent 10 days in Tamarindo 4 years ago plus a bunch of time at the Arenal Observatory lodge.

Rent a car and explore!! Lots to see and do. Every minute you spend in the villa is a wasted minute you could be out exploring the beautiful country.

The fact that you are doing a All Inclusive in Mexico is perfect to relax after a busy week in CR.

Why on earth would you fly home for 1 day from CR only to go back to Mexico. Fly to Cancun from Liberia. Your Costa Rican Villa will have all the amenities of home, do laundry there. You will save money on flights not to mention a few days of travel.

We looked and it was about the same price to fly back to Calgary as it was to fly CR to Cancun. The only added benefit would be an extra day in CR. We already paid for the AI package that includes flights to Cancun from Calgary. I guess we would just let the travel company know that we wouldn’t be taking the flight down but would be taking the flight back. Maybe have to look deeper into it.

thing
02-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Yes you should most definitely contact the airline.

Tell them you want to fly to Liberia a week early not to Cancun. You might be surprised that it won't cost that much more money, it will damned sure be cheaper than a return flight in/out of Liberia from Calgary.

Then get a one way flight to Cancun from Liberia.

OR

Tell the airline you want to fly into Cancun a week earlier...that shouldn't cost you any more money.

Then book a return flight from Cancun to Liberia and back to Cancun in time for your All inclusive.

cadice
02-27-2019, 11:26 AM
I would recommend you Sun Beach Park hotel. Four stars, amazing location, great service and level of accomodation.

tbiddy
02-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Yes you should most definitely contact the airline.

Tell them you want to fly to Liberia a week early not to Cancun. You might be surprised that it won't cost that much more money, it will damned sure be cheaper than a return flight in/out of Liberia from Calgary.

Then get a one way flight to Cancun from Liberia.

OR

Tell the airline you want to fly into Cancun a week earlier...that shouldn't cost you any more money.

Then book a return flight from Cancun to Liberia and back to Cancun in time for your All inclusive.

We’re flying Air Transat, Calgary to Cancun. Couldn’t switch it to match up to the CR trip. Flying Calgary to CR on the 7th. Just over a week in CR. CR to Calgary. Do laundry, celebrate a buddies 40th. Get on a plane on St Patty’s day and fly to our AI in Mexico. Going to be a whirlwind but it’ll be fun!!

bsmitty27
02-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Check out Italy. I was looking at rural cottages. And there are some amazing places for cheap like 50.00 a night cheap. Vrbo.
Right on private beaches.

I usually go to big island Hawaii but kapono the little area we usually go got wiped out by lava. But there is some cool stuff on that side of the island. Good luck I'm jealous.
Brad