Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Dweb
01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Bleed it after caught

Get all bones out

Just as good as any other game fish

35 whelen
01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
Cold water pike some of the best fish out there, learn how to debone them.

tool
01-14-2019, 01:46 PM
I agree with Dweb, Pike is good eating and can be just as good as Walleye or any other game fish.
I've been using the 5 cut method to fillet them, look it up on Youtube, makes it very fast and easy to fillet pike with no bones.

I usually coat them in Fishcrisp and pan fry them.

Bigwoodsman
01-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Cold water pike some of the best fish out there, learn how to debone them.

^^^^^This, and learning how to prep them right is not hard. Youtube has many variations to show you.

BW

lannie
01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Very under rated for table fare.
I think its #3 behind Walleye and Perch. Pike is better than any trout including lakers. Not as good as some of the others for smoking due to being less oily.

dustinjoels
01-14-2019, 02:31 PM
I love pike. Debone it and it’s better than walleye in my opinion.

Just fry it up or deep fry in beer batter. Delicious.

Red Bullets
01-14-2019, 02:39 PM
Northern pike is one of the healthiest fresh water fish to eat. Low fat, very high protein. A little high in cholesterol but otherwise very good.

http://www.fitbit.com/foods/Northern+Pike+Cooked/16766

some recipes
https://www.chippewaflowage.com/fishing/recipes-for-northern-pike/

Savage Bacon
01-14-2019, 02:45 PM
If you have a canner, the high heat dissolves the pin bones. I make pickled fish with my pike. The vinegar dissolves the pin bones also.

Barnes19
01-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Nothing wrong with Pike out of Cold water.

yoteblaster
01-14-2019, 02:50 PM
5 cut method. You tube is your friend. Super tasty in the winter pan fried with beer batter on it

HuyFishin
01-14-2019, 02:50 PM
If you want to try something with asian flavours in it.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/seattle/recipe-cha-ca-la-vong/

It says to use lingcod, but any white flesh fish will work.

Hawkeye
01-14-2019, 03:07 PM
I think it has a fish, oily taste.......however, if you soak it in milk for an hour or two, that eliminates that taste.....
I don't think the percentage of milk fat matters, just use whatever milk you have.
my couple of cents

aulrich
01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
In the past year or two I have made 2 changes in how I handle my fish, bleeding and vacuum packing. And for bleeding if it comes out of the live well alive it gets cut rather than bonked.

It does not make much of a difference with newer fish, but that fresh flavor lasts way longer, I am talking months VS weeks before that nasty fishy flavor starts to develop.

This year if I can find the right cooler (big and cheap) I will stop using the live well after surface temps hit 70F,the plan is just bleed and put straight on ice. I have fillet too many half yellow mushy fish , and I suspect that the “out of cold water” rule comes more from miss handling the fish in warm weather.

DRhunter
01-14-2019, 03:30 PM
If you want to try something with asian flavours in it.

https://explorepartsunknown.com/seattle/recipe-cha-ca-la-vong/

It says to use lingcod, but any white flesh fish will work.

Not that a person can hardly find a lake south of the NWT that we are able to keep a pike...

But when we are able to keep a pike, like a lots have mentioned, deboning and cold water are key.

I mostly do an egg/milk wash, add some seasoning salt, lemon pepper then coat in crushed salted crackers and fry with lots of butter!

But I do want to try the Asian recipe next time. Thanks!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TROLLER
01-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Shake and Bake then onto a pan and in the over she goes.

58thecat
01-14-2019, 06:52 PM
Best eating fish in fresh water.....flour, salt and pepper, chunk of butter in the pan let it start to bubble and lay the fine chunks in until golden brown.....:scared0015:

calgarychef
01-14-2019, 07:00 PM
I like perch then pike and walleye is a distant third.

Kill it as soon as you catch it with a knife in the brain, bleed it if you want and get it into ice. I don’t use the 5 cut method because it seems a bit wasteful to me but eachnto their own. Dip it in seasoned flour (use Lawreys if you want but I make my own) then fry in half butter half lard.

3blade
01-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Good. White flesh, very tasty. The advice about bleeding and icing immediately is spot on.

With one caveat: anything over 7-8 lbs goes back in the water. Once they get that size, the majority of their diet switches to whitefish and they taste fishy as hell.

Hunter4ever12
01-14-2019, 07:09 PM
Pike is my favorite,I stick with only keeping fish in winter though....taste soooo much better! Not really understanding most of the comments about a “fish” tasting like a fish,seems you thought they’d taste more like pork........

JD848
01-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Best eating fish in fresh water.....flour, salt and pepper, chunk of butter in the pan let it start to bubble and lay the fine chunks in until golden brown.....:scared0015:

100 Percent yes,i love pike,makes the best chowder,excellent tasting and one of the only fish that parasites are not in.I have seen the odd pike with parasites,but very rare in our parts.

Just debone properly and I would take pike over walleye any day,beats the heck out of lake trout and I like 95 percent of fresh water fish.What turns folks of from them is the slim on them,but there slimy for a good reason.

On warmer days fillet right away and keep the fish on ice,they go soft fast and you want a nice firm fillet for eating.100 times better than the crap you by in the frozen fish section at most stores.

calgarygringo
01-14-2019, 07:36 PM
Pike is a very mild non fishy or oily fish. You may want to check your techniques as pike are not that type of fish. Learn how to fillet boneless and they are great eating. Several ways to do it and as mentioned YouTube is your best friend.

I think it has a fish, oily taste.......however, if you soak it in milk for an hour or two, that eliminates that taste.....
I don't think the percentage of milk fat matters, just use whatever milk you have.
my couple of cents

pikeman06
01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Love my pike. The bigger ones with the nice big course flakes are deadly smoked. Just remember to score them almost halfway thru the thick parts so the brine gets in there. Never freeze and then thaw then smoke because they don't glaze up very well. If you think they come from a bit of a sloughy lake just put them in a glass bowl in the fridge with nice cold bottled water and a pinch of pickling salt and they firm up and whiten up a bit too over nite. Raised on questionable jackfish myself. We ate it three times a week not deboned or nothing. Just an egg wash and flour and salt and pepper and into a hot pan. I still love them. But for beginners there's some excellent you tube info to make them much more appealing and boneless. Fresh fish is always best. Froze, thawed, fileted, froze then thawed and cooked gives them a sandy texture I find.

JD848
01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
I cleaned thousands of fish in my time and I always never put my fillet side down on the slim of the fish,split your fish and keep the back side down and the fillet part up,this is where you get that real fishy crappy taste.

I never make a pile of fillets on my cleaning table,worst mistake made by 95 percent of guides.If your fillet gets slim on it and you keep adding the same thing in a pile you get real fishy tasting fish,specially in a pike.You can wash of slim ,but then it never all comes off.No part of my fillet ever touches the table,period

I clean all my fillets and leave them on the skin side and never stack nothing,avoiding slim is my number 1 deal in cleaning.plus I keep one hand always clean.

As you remove the skin stop a inch or so from the end of the fillet and take your one clean hand and lift the fillet of the skin and don't let it touch the table or whatever your cleaning on.Plus avoid all belly fats in all fish

220 Swift
01-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Eating northern pike in the winter is good. Seems to take the slime and such away to some point and firms up the meat.

Whats even better is catching them in the rocks in the canadian shield up north here in saskatchewan. This is what good pike is made of. These fish are always cold.

The funny thing is i didnt believe it for 30 years As it was just a way for people to get away. I was wrong.

I have gotten on to pickled jackfish recipe that has been a big hit at work.

Ken07AOVette
01-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Our daughter made boiled pike for my wife one day, called it prairie lobster. They dipped it in garlic butter, wife said it was very good. Extremely good.

I am more of a fry in butter with batter guy, but I will try prairie lobster if I ever go slough fishing again. (can't bring myself to lake fish, hooked on saltwater for 6 years now)

spyguy 0-0-7
01-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Prairie lobster..... You need to use pickling salt or even better, Kosher salt. Garlic butter and a towel to wipe your face a chest.

RavYak
01-14-2019, 10:10 PM
As others have mentioned it is very good but you do notice a difference depending on when and where they are caught. Pike in nice clean cold water is usually similar to walleye with a bit more texture to it. Pike in warm algae infested water usually have a bit stronger taste and mushier consistency. Even the nastiest of pike still turn into decent table fare if cooked right, seasoned, floured and deep fried will make just about any fish taste good.

I don't bother trying to remove the y-bones unless I am giving the fish to kids etc. They are fairly easy to eat around once you know the tricks. If you use a fork and split the top half of the fillet in half after it is cooked you will see the ends of the y-bones sticking out. Pull them all out and then enjoy your boneless fish. If I am with kids or someone that I don't want to serve bones then I will often just cook up the lower half of the fish and tail sections for them and I will eat around the bones in the upper fillet sections.

fordtruckin
01-14-2019, 11:29 PM
In one word”delicious”
Haven’t had it for years but way better then any trout as already mentioned. We used to fillet them and then batter them with pancake batter and deep fry them. Delicious!

mlee
01-15-2019, 01:45 AM
I like about 4 or 5 pike feeds a year. Like mentioned earlier....the just over keeper size winter pike are the best (5-8lbs). My girlfriend would always turn her nose up at it when we first got togeather (she grew up perch spoiled lol) but once I convinced her to eat some shes not like that any more.
I do 5 cut boneless if I'm feeding others....if it's just me and my 1 fish I'll just do traditional filets and pluck the y bones after cooked.
Usually eating at the campsite or whatnot so just seasoned flour and into the butter. But I've baked it....battered and deep fried it....all kinds of ways....its all tasty.

gopher67
01-15-2019, 06:42 AM
Fillet them and grind them make fish patties they are great add some onion salt and pepper grind some crackers with them they are great

caddisman
01-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Best tasting fish through the ice as long as you know how to take the Y bones out.
Very underrated fish.

AK47
01-15-2019, 04:00 PM
Very under rated for table fare.
I think its #3 behind Walleye and Perch.

You forgot Burbot in top 3.

saskbooknut
01-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Best white flesh fish I ever ate - about 15 pound Pike ponask cooked over a fire by Cree guide on Wollaston lake.
Picked the fish off the bones with our fingers.

sns2
01-15-2019, 04:46 PM
pike is my favorite,i stick with only keeping fish in winter though....taste soooo much better! Not really understanding most of the comments about a “fish” tasting like a fish,seems you thought they’d taste more like pork........

lmao

sns2
01-15-2019, 04:53 PM
Jacks are delicious from cold water. Bled, debone, season, and fry in 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard as has been mentioned. A little lemon pepper when they come out of the pan. Flipping delicious. Even better the next morning I find.

Spruster
01-15-2019, 06:07 PM
a shore lunch , pike in butter with a coors lite . 5 Star for sure !

f_train22
01-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Pike are flat out delicious. Slime is a non-issue (rinses off anyways) and the Y bones are fairly easy to remove. Walleye must have a hell of a publicist because a Pike fillet breaded with flour an salt/pepper can go head-to-head against a walleye fillet done the same way any day of the week in my opinion.

I’m really intrigued to try the shake and bake recipe. What time and temp would be recommended for that?

dustinjoels
01-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Had some walleye tags for lac la biche this year. Tagged a few walleye and kept a few keeper pike (shame it’s going C&R in 2019) and did a beer batter deep fry for 20 people. Never told anyone what was what. Almost unanimously the pike were the preferred table fare.

CanadianEh
01-15-2019, 07:00 PM
Hands down one of the best fish chowders I have ever eaten is pike chowder..

Hard to beat the gold ol pan fry either.

Spruster
01-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Had some walleye tags for lac la biche this year. Tagged a few walleye and kept a few keeper pike (shame it’s going C&R in 2019) and did a beer batter deep fry for 20 people. Never told anyone what was what. Almost unanimously the pike were the preferred table fare.

Am I reading this right . Lac la Biche is C & R for all pike in 2019 ? or is this walleye tags gone .

Jigger
01-15-2019, 09:06 PM
I agree they are delicious, too bad years of terrible mgmt has led to not being able to keep them anymore. Sad.

Brandonkop
01-15-2019, 09:11 PM
I grew up eating it so I really enjoy eating and catching pike! Cooked some up right now. Here's a deconstructed pike fried up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/1615037fa3b0ad0f1183a00015a849a8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/dc857fa2f908ad0f75ba9e249a8d000d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/3ff3e66015807d1f4109104ff2cac119.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Isopod
01-16-2019, 12:53 AM
I have never eaten pike....has anyone?

I've only kept and eaten pike once... I did not like it.

The texture is very firm and flaky, kind of like salmon, but maybe a bit too firm and flaky for a white fish for me. And there was an aftertaste... like you ate the fish and it was fine, but then it kept on tasting and tasting -- not for me!!!

For reference, my fave white-type fish is haddock. Sole is nicely flavoured but too soft textured for me. Cod is a decent substitute for haddock. Pollock has the right texture for me, but the stuff you buy in the stores here often has "fishy" overtones, which I think means we just get the older stuff, I bet pollock is very good if fresh off the boat.

JD848
01-16-2019, 01:43 AM
The nice part about a pike is that there's plenty of fillet in one fish,beer batter,chowders cause it holds together better than many fish.Make a bed of hot coals and get some tin foil,add butter spice of choice,piece of lemon slice a touch of water to steam well and fold it up so no air gets in ,roll over ever 5 minutes and when it's all like a metal balloon open up and dig in,many other things can be added in to a foil broil but pike is right up there with the best.

In warm waters fillet right way and stash on ice and there good,they go soft in ten minutes if they stay whole and it's like filleting a ball of mush.

Out on the lake put a sliced onion in a pot a bit salt a bay leaf and boil till done and still firm,serve it with tarter sause,warm butter or just plain salt and pepper.

Hell I am getting hungry thinking about this,when I guide I can't eat fried fish every day maybe once a week,so I catch a small pike and eat this 3 times a week,the fried stuff would kill me in no time.

JD848
01-16-2019, 01:54 AM
I've only kept and eaten pike once... I did not like it.

The texture is very firm and flaky, kind of like salmon, but maybe a bit too firm and flaky for a white fish for me. And there was an aftertaste... like you ate the fish and it was fine, but then it kept on tasting and tasting -- not for me!!!

For reference, my fave white-type fish is haddock. Sole is nicely flavoured but too soft textured for me. Cod is a decent substitute for haddock. Pollock has the right texture for me, but the stuff you buy in the stores here often has "fishy" overtones, which I think means we just get the older stuff, I bet pollock is very good if fresh off the boat.

You didn't prepare it right and the after taste is a bit slim from the skin,tastes like some of the girls I kissed in lake of the woods hotel years ago,little fishy and left an after taste.Nothing 6 old vienna beer couldn't get rid of or 6 good shots of five star.haha,I like lobster and cod ,but there hard to catch in Ontario.

58thecat
01-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Yup, seen this first hand as people spewed off about slim slugs and yet they said that the plate with the walleye was the best of the two....it was pike they gobbled down:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bush Critter
01-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Boiled with a pinch of salt, boiled potatoes. Serve with chopped up garlic clove, pepper, a light sprinkle of red wine vinegar and olive oil...

Okotok
01-16-2019, 07:33 AM
Love fried pike. I like canning it too. Good stuff.

Bigwoodsman
01-16-2019, 08:48 AM
I grew up eating it so I really enjoy eating and catching pike! Cooked some up right now. Here's a deconstructed pike fried up.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/1615037fa3b0ad0f1183a00015a849a8.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/dc857fa2f908ad0f75ba9e249a8d000d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190116/3ff3e66015807d1f4109104ff2cac119.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Now I have to go fishing! Just told the boss, I'm outta here. Jackfish and chips for supper tonight! I just hope that the keeper jack cooperate.

BW

Travco1
01-26-2019, 05:43 PM
Pike is the poor mans lobster .

FlyTheory
01-26-2019, 05:55 PM
The nice part about a pike is that there's plenty of fillet in one fish,beer batter,chowders cause it holds together better than many fish.Make a bed of hot coals and get some tin foil,add butter spice of choice,piece of lemon slice a touch of water to steam well and fold it up so no air gets in ,roll over ever 5 minutes and when it's all like a metal balloon open up and dig in,many other things can be added in to a foil broil but pike is right up there with the best.

In warm waters fillet right way and stash on ice and there good,they go soft in ten minutes if they stay whole and it's like filleting a ball of mush.

Out on the lake put a sliced onion in a pot a bit salt a bay leaf and boil till done and still firm,serve it with tarter sause,warm butter or just plain salt and pepper.

Hell I am getting hungry thinking about this,when I guide I can't eat fried fish every day maybe once a week,so I catch a small pike and eat this 3 times a week,the fried stuff would kill me in no time.

I’m totally going to use the pike I have to make chowder this week! Thanks for the idea :)

wmw9
01-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Pike are delicious. Lately when I keep pike (only during cold water) I fillet them and remove the Y-bone.

I then marinade in olive oil, fresh garlic, basil, chilli powder, parsely for an hour. While the grill is heating I add lemon (too early the vinegar will cook the fish) I put directly on the bbq grill.

Don't over cook them grill a few mins per side. I make fish tacos with them (squirt a little lime on them fresh off the grill) and it's fantastic! I do also enjoy breading and frying them, this was just something I tried one day to mix it up and it's a huge hit with the family