PDA

View Full Version : Polaris quads

Cow tooth
01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Sold my old quad and was going to get a new one wanted to know if people have had good luck with newer Polaris vs Yamaha ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bezzola
01-16-2019, 07:39 PM
The Polaris I had was a lemon would not own another one. Now have can am and Yamaha in my opinion the grizzly is one of the best machines out there.

Talking moose
01-16-2019, 07:40 PM
Grizz 700. Love mine.

spurly
01-16-2019, 07:45 PM
I have had good luck with Polaris

Pixel Shooter
01-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Yamaha grizz here. Wouldn’t hesitate buying another Honda either.

Jack fish hunter
01-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Wow, can these guys pass, to control play.

And that's why you don't get drunk watch the hockey game and go on the forum. 😂

Mastodon
01-16-2019, 08:07 PM
That Polaris 570 hauls ass, and looks very good. I really want to embrace Polaris but upon inspection the build quality just doesn't stack up against the Jap quads.

sjr
01-16-2019, 08:24 PM
The Polaris I had was a lemon would not own another one. Now have can am and Yamaha in my opinion the grizzly is one of the best machines out there.

Same issue with my POS Polaris 500 Sportsman never own another one .

spoiledsaskhunter
01-16-2019, 08:52 PM
I've got a 500 ho that I use for plowing snow since 2004. all I've ever had to do is oil/gas/battery...…..lots of guys here bad mouth them but I don't get it.

tractor1971
01-16-2019, 08:56 PM
No good luck with Polaris Sportsman 500 either.

sirmike68
01-16-2019, 09:10 PM
My 2001 sportsman is a tank and still going strong with regular maintenance. My 2014 850 SP is nice but built a lot lighter in the frame than the old ones. My new one will never take a beating like my old 01 does. I still love the Polaris but they are not as strong as they used to be.

does it ALL outdoors
01-17-2019, 02:00 AM
I've got a 500 ho that I use for plowing snow since 2004. all I've ever had to do is oil/gas/battery...…..lots of guys here bad mouth them but I don't get it.

Probably because they have owned one and it was a piece of junk would be my guess, do a quick Google search "Polaris sucks", "Polaris warranty sucks" or any other tag lines like that.

Also their warranty service is legendary, but for all the wrong reasons.

From another local forum.
http://www.snowandmud.com/archive/index.php/t-80582.html

Polaris is the red headed step child of the powersports world because of their lack of reliability, just the facts.

Fantastic your's has been good to you, you're definitely the exception and not the rule, hope you get many more miles problem free. Cheers

58thecat
01-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Well look at longevity, reliability etc I always say people switch out there equipment because it gets old or starts breaking down and it costs them down time, money and well just a pain in the azzzz.....2004 Honda.....16000km.s.....no reason to get rid of it.....for any of the above listed issues.....vroooooom.....enough said.:)

TOG
01-17-2019, 06:43 AM
After having put just over 20,000km each on two Honda quads I wanted to see if anything else could last even half that many km. Bought a Polaris 500. Went straight back to the dealership a month later just garbage compared to the hondas. Now I have a Suzuki king quad and so far I am really happy with it. Only have 6000 km on it though. Time will tell I guess.

M.C. Gusto
01-17-2019, 09:03 AM
After having put just over 20,000km each on two Honda quads I wanted to see if anything else could last even half that many km. Bought a Polaris 500. Went straight back to the dealership a month later just garbage compared to the hondas. Now I have a Suzuki king quad and so far I am really happy with it. Only have 6000 km on it though. Time will tell I guess.

My Suzuki Vinson is a tank! Never ever let me down.

I’m wanting a Polaris Ranger 1000 because they’re so far ahead of the others with their sxs but the reviews on customer service and reliability are shockingly bad. I’m not sure if I should look into the upgrades they’ve made over the previous models and roll the dice or just go Japanese.

spoiledsaskhunter
01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Probably because they have owned one and it was a piece of junk would be my guess, do a quick Google search "Polaris sucks", "Polaris warranty sucks" or any other tag lines like that.

Polaris is the red headed step child of the powersports world because of their lack of reliability, just the facts.

Fantastic your's has been good to you, you're definitely the exception and not the rule, hope you get many more miles problem free. Cheers

why don't you try to say what you really think? just said i've had no trouble with mine and am puzzled as to why mine must be the only good one out there. my rancher friend now has 33xxx on his honda foreman and it runs like it is new, so i really do know how reliable they are.......but i'm telling you i have owned 4 polaris machines now and they have all treated me right.

you sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion that they are junk.:)

Dean2
01-17-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

http://www.snowandmud.com/archive/in...p/t-80582.html

by =spoiledsaskhunter
why don't you try to say what you really think? just said i've had no trouble with mine and am puzzled as to why mine must be the only good one out there. my rancher friend now has 33xxx on his honda foreman and it runs like it is new, so i really do know how reliable they are.......but i'm telling you i have owned 4 polaris machines now and they have all treated me right.

you sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion that they are junk.

I agree with ALL Oudoors. Some guys bought Range Rovers and never had a problem with them too, but they are a TINY minority of the total buyers. Most people who have owned Polaris or Range Rover both hate the repair costs on them.

Of the choices you listed, Yamaha. My preference though is Honda but it really depends how you use it most. The Yamaha is a better sport ride and nearly as reliable as the Honda.

Mastodon
01-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Japanese please. :)

lmtada
01-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Own Honda foreman, Polaris 400 sportsman. Honda more reliable, less comfy. The Polaris, has couple little hickups (easy to fix), more comfortable Atv then Honda. Yamaha 700 grizzly, nice machine, good motors, excellent suspension. Buy the griz, if price is competitive.

traderal
01-17-2019, 10:31 AM
I have an 09 Polaris 800 2-up. Never had any problems. Smooth ride over any terrain, more power than I can handle. Everything else I tried was like riding a 56 Fargo truck.
Nothing like asking a question on this forum and actually expecting everyone to agree.
Might as well ask who thinks their wife is the best or what is the best dog to have. all very entertaining at best. I have learned long ago to test drive everything and decide what suits me best. And as for the forums that diss everything about certain makes, well it is the internet and everything must be true of course. Not to mention how some treat their equipment. I know too many guys that destroy anything they touch, hard to expect anything useful from their opinions.

does it ALL outdoors
01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
you sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion that they are junk.:)

It's not an opinion, they ARE less than stellar quality. Look no farther than this very thread and the one I posted, disproportionate numbers of machines that keep falling apart and customer service that largely dosent stand behind their products. I encourage you to do your own research and you will find the same results.

Glad to hear Polaris has been good to you, that's awesome because they have proven over and over to be less than acceptable quality.

Everyone's experience will vary, again glad to hear they have been good to you cause that's definitely not the general consensus with the masses.

Just so you don't think I'm a hater my sled is a Polaris and it's been relatively good to me but most guys in the sledding community consider them to be less than stellar quality. Google Liberty 800 motors, hard to find a Polaris Dragon with the original engine still in it, they were almost designed to fail.

mac1983
01-17-2019, 10:47 AM
2005 Polaris sportsman 500 ho here, bought new, has about 10 k on it now. Had a faulty e-module when new they fixed it up pronto, about the only problem Is the starter and drive I've had to replace a few times, other than that just routine maintenance. Been an excellent ride

Sooner
01-17-2019, 10:49 AM
If the timing works, when I get back into a quad and I don't buy a friends 800 Outlander when he is ready to sell, I will buy a used Yammy 700 Grizz all day long. Just love everything about the Grizz.

Only reason I would go for the Outlander 800 is, it has higher km's and will sell for a real good price, plus I know the owner, how it was rode and taken care of.

If Polaris and Yammy are the choices, Yammy is the one Imo.

Stubb
01-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Have had both a Grizz and an 850 sportsman. Neither gave me a minutes trouble. My thoughts:

Grizzly- better for trail riding, smoother throttle.

Sportsman- More stable, lock'n ride feature is handy.

Ceilidh69
01-17-2019, 11:24 AM
On my second Polaris. First was an 800 touring. Very comfortable, lots of power and no issues. Bought a 1000 touring in late 2018 and so far it is great. I had a Kawasaki 650 Brute force that for many years as well that was not fuel injected and it gave me a few problems but was generally pretty rugged and comfortable to drive. The Kawasaki always was hard starting in the cold. Also have a Yamaha Viking SXS for the past few years and it has been really great as well. Also have two Polaris sleds and they are awesome.

Dealership I go to stands behind the Polaris product and is very easy to deal with. This is going to be one of those polarized (haha) arguments like which truck is best, which gun/calibre is best etc. - everyone has an opinion and thinks their opinion is best. Tall order but try to find a dealer who will work with you, is honest and cares about what they sell and you will be fine with most quads these days (except for Arctic Cats).

kritz
01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
I will share my 2 cent opinion.

I have owned 5 Polaris atv's ( a 400,500 700 and a 800 and now a 570 all from new).I would have nothing bad to say about any of them. Have they improved since my first one? yes defiantly, will people compare the problems they remember once upon a time on an older unit, yes. But the technology has improved. Have I had little mechanical issues, Yes, Some self induced, Yes. Every manufacturer does. I would go with the SP model not the standard model.

I had two Hondas in the mix at one time also, a 300 and a 420( both from new). complaints no, would I buy another, no, Honda just cant compare in ride and HP.

I currently own a 570sp. It works my trapline summer and winter, works around the farm in the summer and plowing all my snow in the winter, 100 yard driveway + parking area in front of shop, area in pasture in front of bales 100ft x200 ft. Replaced a 800 sportsman with a 570 sportsman with no complaints.

Polaris ATV's have the biggest market share right now for a reason. a 570 that provides equivalent HP to the Grizzly 700. Ride quality is excellent, Works hard
Works hard in the snow working the trapline in the winter, Works hard in muskeg in the summer. Storage is excellent, Polaris lock and ride accessories are awesome. Very comfortable.

Cant say anymore, I would buy another. Yes 100%.

I also second on good dealerships, It just happens I have 2 Polaris dealerships that are great, The Artic cat/ Yammy dealer in the area is top notch also, I have just never bought one of their ATV's.

sjr
01-17-2019, 11:55 AM

My Polaris 500 Sportsman is a 2000 with only 2500 miles .
Bought it used with only 300 miles, its never been rat bagged driven , mostly used on forest serviced roads and light snow plowing .

I have replaced the front strut-shocks ,all the front and rear A-Frame bushings, front and rear brake pads 2x , front brakes rotors , both front axle boots , rebuild the auto lock frt hub units ,the list goes on .
Maybe I have a factory lemon ! Its a real pain to work on , just doing a simple oil change and grease job you need double joined arms and elbows to reach into all the tight spots . If you have ever worked on any Caterpillar track unit you will know what I'm talking about .
The only nice part about this POS quad is it has a nice ride .

KnifeFan007
01-17-2019, 12:32 PM
My Sportsman 1000 is a great quad.
Never had a problem, great ride and more power than you know what to do with.
I plow snow with it, trail ride, hunt etc. and it's always performed perfect.
I'd get another Polaris without hesitation.

jungleboy
01-17-2019, 01:58 PM
I find that most people that have issues with Polaris ,talk about the issue their friend's buddy's cousin had ,and rarely have first hand experience unless it was a machine they beat to death back in the day.
Much like the Honda fan boys always ranting about belts blowing on belt driven machines. I've never seen or had a belt blow up on a atv but if you read the forums you would think it was as common as potholes on an Edmonton street.
I've had my share of Polaris and other brands and if you do your part they are all pretty reliable

96 Polaris 2stroke 300 totally abused before me never got any joy always fixing.
03 Polaris trailblazer 250 from new ,great machine no problems ever
02 Polaris trailblazer 250 (wife's machine no issues
05 bought new Yamaha kodiak 400 ,no Issues ,3500 km
06 bought new Arctic Cat 500(Wife's machine)heavy as a tank ran fine but hard starting pig,front ball joint literally fell out on the trail not an AC fan.
2010 bought new Polaris rzr 800 3500k no issues ever
2008 yamaha rhino 700 bought at auction with 7800 km that thing was as tight as new still and ran beautiful .
2013 bought new Polaris Ranger midsize 800 3000 km no issues loved that machine
2015 Bought new Polaris Ranger 570 full size 1000 km loved it no issues but moved back to town and needed something that would fit in my truck box so sadly had to sell,

I now have a Honda Pioneer 500 I have put 100km on .I bought it mostly because I can haul it in my 1/2 ton . Hope it's as good as my Polaris machines were.

JohninAB
01-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Brand new 2014 Yamaha Grizzly, first day out cost $2000 to sling the pile of crap back in under an A-Star. Power steering locked up tight and machine would not even turn over. Had all of 50 kms on it.

Indy
01-25-2019, 05:50 PM
2015 RZR XP4 1000. 1300 miles motor blows a crank. UTV has never been drowned let alone seen mud trails. Still has warranty. Polaris came back and said no warranty it was drowned. Argued with them and they came back and said they would cover parts. ~2700 in labor was on me. Argued and they finally agreed to replace the motor. Got it back today after more than four months. The labor cost was only 1000 dollars (on warranty). Funny how it was 2700 dollars when it was on my dime. Brand new motor now - hopefully it lasts. Polaris did come back and say it was a manufacturing issue that caused the motor to fail. I have never had such an issue with warranty, what a run around. Glad they finally came good on the warranty but they could have skipped the BS and went to doing the righ thing at the start. That machine will shred a belt if you are not careful - lots of power.

My Polaris sled was the same run around for warranty, I finally replaced a lot of the top end components myself because of the run around. I wanted reliability and the extra power and to hell with the non-existent warranty. Also shredded quick drive belts until Polaris addressed the issue.

Sorry never owned a Polaris quad but the warranty hassle has been unbelievable - first hand experience.

Never had an issue with BRP or Yamaha warranty.

I think I’m going back to BRP - I like Polaris products don’t like their support.

M.C. Gusto
01-25-2019, 06:55 PM
The worst warranty and customer service out of ALL manufacturers is what my research has found. Pages and pages of complaints about it on the forums.
I really want that new ranger but feel like I’m rolling the dice if I buy...

Indy
01-25-2019, 08:09 PM
I was looking at the new Ranger HVAC - going to look at the Defender now....

Mackinaw
01-25-2019, 08:20 PM
I have a 05 500 sportsman with a 5ft plow it is a beast only issue was a starter also have a 96 xlt 600 triple and a 07 340 Polaris touring Polaris takes a beating

mack

bcpappy
01-26-2019, 10:08 AM
My good friend bought a 2018 polaris 850 about a year ago, it was the no power steering model. Nothing fancy but good handling and great power. He had the dealership put on some aftermarket tires, a warn winch with synthetic line and a rear cargo box. Once the snow melted and finally getting some seat time on his quad, he put 4 hours on it during break-in. It lit on fire while he was taking his young son for a ride. It started a grass and brush fire and the only thing left of it was a puddle of aluminum and a charred frame with steel wheels. Polaris sent a guy up from the states to investigate and they offered him the same quad with no accessories. After arguing with them they offered him a polaris Visa card, but they didn’t know how much would be on the card for a dollar value. He was told they would get back to him after reviewing their own offer to him. Polaris still hasn’t got back to him, he has since gone thru his insurance for a replacement and the dealer he bought it from upgraded him for the same price as the burnt quad to the model with power steering and painted plastics, replaced his accessories on their dime just to try and make good with him as their customer. If it wasn’t for this dealership stepping up and him going thru insurance, he would not have a quad and be out thousands of dollars because polaris doesn’t care about their customers. Just from seeing the way polaris has handled this issue and the arguments he had to deal with. I am happy I have a Yamaha quad. I know they all don’t burn down, polaris has a very good 4 wheel drive system and they have terrible customer services. The replacement quad has made it thru the break in period and currently hasn’t burnt.

Dean2
01-26-2019, 10:50 AM
bcpappy

You story is completely consistent with what I have heard from many Polaris owners. If you have a good dealer, not so bad, but Polaris themselves are just terrible. Even their dealers hate having to go to the factory for approvals or backstop on a warranty claim. Long and short, warranty doesn't last long on any quad, I go more on long term reliability and there; Yamaha and Honda are clearly the top of the class.

tri777
01-26-2019, 10:59 AM
3 Quads you'll never find me straddling
even with any good reports:

- Chinese
- Arctic cat
- Polaris

jungleboy
01-26-2019, 05:55 PM
I have owned several Polaris machines ,quads ,sleds and side x sides ,With the exception of maybe 2, I dealt with Cycle works west in Acheson . I have nothing but high praise for them, They always treated me with respect and looked after me for any problems . I will say this however , if you go into your dealer acting like a jerk whenever there might be an issue then your chances of getting more than they absolutely have to give is likely slim. Just my opinion. your experience might be different.

spoiledsaskhunter
01-26-2019, 08:52 PM
I have owned several Polaris machines ,quads ,sleds and side x sides ,With the exception of maybe 2, I dealt with Cycle works west in Acheson . I have nothing but high praise for them, They always treated me with respect and looked after me for any problems . I will say this however , if you go into your dealer acting like a jerk whenever there might be an issue then your chances of getting more than they absolutely have to give is likely slim. Just my opinion. your experience might be different.

I can understand that some here don't like polaris machines and they are entitled to their opinions.....but your comments are right on. if they exhibit the same attitudes to dealers that they exhibit here just because someone doesn't agree with them, it's no wonder they have problems.

Indy
01-27-2019, 04:18 AM
Not only does a poor attitude equate to poor customer service with Polaris but so does a good one! My experience, YMMV.

I would like to hear about a positive large warrant claim with Polaris - my claim was $8,000.

If you haven’t had to deal with the Polaris corporate warranty process then you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Polaris customer service.

I think they have the best sleds and sxs on the market but I will never own another one. OP - Roll the dice with Polaris I hope you get good one!

Ronji
01-27-2019, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=jungleboy;3919921] I dealt with Cycle works west in Acheson .

I had a terrible experience with this dealer. Would never deal with them again.

jkbloom
01-27-2019, 10:36 AM
I own 2 Polaris quads, 1-2007 sportsman 800x2 and 1-2008 sportsman 500X2, both have been great quads, only issue I have had was a fuel pump failure on the 800, both quads get used lots, I am very happy with both of them, the Polaris dealer in my town treats me very well.

IL Bar
01-27-2019, 01:20 PM
I have an 09 sportsman 500 that had to have the whole wiring harness replaced at 1800 miles because the harness is on the short side where it comes thru the handlebars. Wires started breaking left right and center. Ask any dealer they know it’s a problem but Polaris won’t do anything about it. This poor quality and attitude has finished me with Polaris and I’ve owned a few of their sleds and quads/sxs over the years. The dealer I used to deal with even quit selling Polaris because of quality and warranty issues.

tullfan
01-27-2019, 01:39 PM
As some may know I’m a journeyman motorcycle mechanic. Have been for a long time. I see all kinds of units come through our doors. By far the most issues have been with Polaris and Artic cats. Now, I have no real brand afliction or loyalty. Heck, I considered myself a Honda guy until a new Kawasaki Z900rs follwed me home from the bike show, lol. My thoughts are this. I have repeated multiple times, there is good and bad in all makes and models. That being said, and knowing what I personally know and have seen. If I won a Polaris quad I would have a hard time and with a clear concious, sell or give it away to some poor unknowing soul. I think I would need to trade it back, or sell it back to the dealer. Let them deal with it. That’s just one fools opinion though.
Tullfan

crazy_davey
01-27-2019, 01:44 PM
3 Quads you'll never find me straddling
even with any good reports:

- Chinese
- Arctic cat
- Polaris

Same here.

Cement Bench
01-27-2019, 01:51 PM
As some may know I’m a journeyman motorcycle mechanic. Have been for a long time. I see all kinds of units come through our doors. By far the most issues have been with Polaris and Artic cats. Now, I have no real brand afliction or loyalty. Heck, I considered myself a Honda guy until a new Kawasaki Z900rs follwed me home from the bike show, lol. My thoughts are this. I have repeated multiple times, there is good and bad in all makes and models. That being said, and knowing what I personally know and have seen. If I won a Polaris quad I would have a hard time and with a clear concious, sell or give it away to some poor unknowing soul. I think I would need to trade it back, or sell it back to the dealer. Let them deal with it. That’s just one fools opinion though.
Tullfan

So what brand is to he most reliable

tri777
01-27-2019, 03:32 PM

For me, hands down is the Grizzly 700 W/power steering. A big bonus is how yam
puts shifters on the left side!! Never having to take throttle hand off makes plowing snow
so much more fluid/quick/common sense. 2yrs plowing with my Bruteforce (shifter on the right side), and i confess
i am so jealous of this feature that Yammy owners have. The Grizzly 700 WILL be my next quad.

pikeslayer22
01-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Have 500 quad and 2 rangers no complaints at all

tullfan
01-27-2019, 10:00 PM

In our experience. The Honda’s if you can afford them. They’re an all around well rounded machine. But hands down, least problamatic we’ve seen are the yamaha kodiak/grizzly line.

Tullfan

TBark
01-28-2019, 04:33 AM
I’ve owned several, recently my 2010 850 EPS since new.
But it will be my last Polaris, time for something else when I get my next.
Mine needed some work, bushings, breaks, one U joint and rubber, and the ECU flash to get rid of that BS limp mode, 520194 code, caused limp with a slight over or under TPS voltage, left me stranded.
So even tho mine needed fairly basic pm, and after $1800 or so, I am glad its. back to snuff, as it is a good machine when in new shape.
Also a recoil is a must for a back-up, polaris doesn’t seem to have it.

TBark

Sparx
01-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Look up problems with any model and you will find them. Why? Because this day and age it's all about the extra gadgets which are mostly electronic like Power Steering, EFI and such. More electronics you add, the more problems. The more power you add, the more problems, it breaks stuff and increases it's wear as well.

The machines with good reputation for being durable were under powered and basic. Solid Axles and carburated. Doesn't change much with vehicles that way either. Think about older Toyota pickups and Honda TRX 300's...

I've owned and used the majority of the machines on the market and had problems with them all. I can tear apart any brand for their weakness but they all follow a common trend especially involving electronics... Bearings and seals still fail and they all have them. they don't stand a chance when it comes to muskeg and grass wrap, even greaseable u-joints and bushings.

It was hard to find an Argo with a carburator and the Admiral trans, I would have even prefered air cooled, liquid cooled just adds another aspect to worry about similar to EFI and other gadgets we can easily do without.

Bolete
01-28-2019, 01:01 PM
I have a 2006 Polaris 450 and two Hondas. My wife and son will only the Polaris due to ride quality and handling. For repairs, to date I have only needed to replace a spark plug wire.

kritz
01-28-2019, 01:21 PM
For me, hands down is the Grizzly 700 W/power steering. A big bonus is how yam
puts shifters on the left side!! Never having to take throttle hand off makes plowing snow
so much more fluid/quick/common sense. 2yrs plowing with my Bruteforce (shifter on the right side), and i confess
i am so jealous of this feature that Yammy owners have. The Grizzly 700 WILL be my next quad.

Reasons are hand off throttle while shifting gears, and these brands have 1 brake leaver on the left to hold while shifting gears. when they are on the right they are there for a reason.

tri777
01-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Reasons are hand off throttle while shifting gears, and these brands have 1 brake leaver on the left to hold while shifting gears. when they are on the right they are there for a reason.

That would be the easy part to undumb & bypass that safety crap set up so I could shift whenever the heck I wanted,
much harder to do switching the entire shifting linkages to the left side though.

tullfan
01-28-2019, 06:50 PM
I know there are good and bad in every brand. Some people have good luck with their particular brand and others have not. Alot depends on different circumstances and conditions. That being said. I own and use a 2001 Yamaha kodiak 400. It is carburated, solid rear axle push button 4x4 that is really 3 wheel drive, has a pull cord and is dead reliable. The diff locks came out later as well as independant suspension. It pulls deer, bear and sort of a moose. The wife and I can cruise on it, albeit a bit cosy. But that is what this guy owns.
Tullfan

rosh
01-28-2019, 11:23 PM
I have a 2007 grizzly 700 and 2011 sportsman 400HO. The grizz is a gem with no complaints, had a 99 big bear 350 beforeand it was rock solid too. As for the Polaris it’s my wife’s and she likes it, except have a persistent problem with it that we can’t figure out. Has about 1800km on it never been bagged on, bought it off my buddy when it had 350km. Problem is you can be going along logging road or trail and in a climb, doesn’t have to be big( has happened on flat too). if you give it full throttle it will sputter and feel like it’s going to die. But if you keep it around half or little more it seems fine. Cannot figure it out and it drives me crazy.

tri777
01-29-2019, 12:02 AM
I have a 2007 grizzly 700 and 2011 sportsman 400HO. The grizz is a gem with no complaints, had a 99 big bear 350 beforeand it was rock solid too. As for the Polaris it’s my wife’s and she likes it, except have a persistent problem with it that we can’t figure out. Has about 1800km on it never been bagged on, bought it off my buddy when it had 350km. Problem is you can be going along logging road or trail and in a climb, doesn’t have to be big( has happened on flat too). if you give it full throttle it will sputter and feel like it’s going to die. But if you keep it around half or little more it seems fine. Cannot figure it out and it drives me crazy.

Sounds a case of Fuel starvation to me,
I would clean out/replace fuel filter/strainer, sounds clogged/dirty.

tullfan
01-29-2019, 07:43 AM

If memory serves me correctly that 400 is carbureted. I would put really good money on the float circuit. If your float needle is not sealing, what happens is you get too much fuel and the quad seems to sputter. Most times people think it may be running out of fuel when it happen. In fact it is flooding. This is why at half throttle it is using enough fuel to keep it happy and not flood itself. I suspect it will also happen moving slowley through trails or over bumpy terrain. Might even notice a hard or longer than normal starting issue.
Hope this gets you in the going in the right direction.
Tullfan

rosh
01-29-2019, 05:10 PM
If memory serves me correctly that 400 is carbureted. I would put really good money on the float circuit. If your float needle is not sealing, what happens is you get too much fuel and the quad seems to sputter. Most times people think it may be running out of fuel when it happen. In fact it is flooding. This is why at half throttle it is using enough fuel to keep it happy and not flood itself. I suspect it will also happen moving slowley through trails or over bumpy terrain. Might even notice a hard or longer than normal starting issue.
Hope this gets you in the going in the right direction.
Tullfan
Dam, definitely hard to start some time. Yes it’s carbureted and I have not had anything done with it. Have put new fuel filter and such. I will see next time the father in law comes for a visit if he wants to mess with the carb, I’m not sure what I’m doing. Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it.

R3illy
01-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Been looking at quads for the last little while. Been toying with the idea of buying used but decided its probably better to buy new to avoid any issues.

Family members all use can ams so thats where i looked first. They've got a hunting edition model i may move ahead with but the dealers have not been easy to deal with. Looked at Polaris today but cant get this thread out of my head even though theyve got a 570 sportsman that seems to fit the simplicity that i want.

I think ill have to pop into honda at some point tomorrow to check things out... i wanted to stick to my budget of 10k so not sure how honda will work out.

How do people find the storage boxes for the quads. Are they super important when hunting? If you use the gun box accessories are they worth while or not very important? Also toyed around with heated handles as ill use it in oct/nov. Worth while or not important?

Any feed back on the can am 450/570 always appreciated.

IR_mike
01-29-2019, 11:29 PM
Been looking at quads for the last little while. Been toying with the idea of buying used but decided its probably better to buy new to avoid any issues.

Family members all use can ams so thats where i looked first. They've got a hunting edition model i may move ahead with but the dealers have not been easy to deal with. Looked at Polaris today but cant get this thread out of my head even though theyve got a 570 sportsman that seems to fit the simplicity that i want.

I think ill have to pop into honda at some point tomorrow to check things out... i wanted to stick to my budget of 10k so not sure how honda will work out.

How do people find the storage boxes for the quads. Are they super important when hunting? If you use the gun box accessories are they worth while or not very important? Also toyed around with heated handles as ill use it in oct/nov. Worth while or not important?

Any feed back on the can am 450/570 always appreciated.

No storage box feedback, but research online or magazine shootout/comparisons as well as ATV forums.

Take a test ride of what you like and make your decision off that.

tri777
01-30-2019, 12:18 AM
No storage box feedback, but research online or magazine shootout/comparisons as well as ATV forums.

Take a test ride of what you like and make your decision off that.

X2
And get on youtube an start the quad research

"Yamaha grizzly vs honda vs polaris vs canam"

tri777
02-02-2019, 04:21 PM
".... these brands have 1 brake leaver on the left to hold while shifting gears.
To any Grizzly owners out there not wanting that garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CV_A7k_JO8

Gade81
02-02-2019, 11:48 PM
put me in the, no polaris, not ever again category.....grizzly.... or anything else

Xbolt7mm
02-03-2019, 09:39 AM

I had 3 500HO polaris quads, not a problem with any of them, tryed a can am XMR 1000, had to header wrap the exhaust, insulate the air intake and one side of the seat 10 hours old, jus sayin

jungleboy
02-03-2019, 09:50 AM

LOL , type in Honda /Can am/ Yamaha/ Arctic Cat ...sucks on a google search and you will get the same results .It's the nature of the internet my friend. No matter what you are buying, you can find a group of disgruntled owners on Google that will tell you it is junk.

Dean2
02-03-2019, 10:08 AM
I had 3 500HO polaris quads, not a problem with any of them, tryed a can am XMR 1000, had to header wrap the exhaust, insulate the air intake and one side of the seat 10 hours old, jus sayin

There are a few guys that owned some of the most unreliable POS, like the K car, you can think of and have never had a problem with them. It makes them lucky, it doesn't make the product good. Same as there are people that have had issues with Lexus, doesn't mean Lexus overall isn't one of the best built cars on the market.

When I am looking for a product I have no experience with I am looking for what the average experience with something is, not the outliers.

jungleboy
02-03-2019, 10:19 AM
hehe That's funny , my dad used to drive the K cars , his first one he put over 350000 km on it and bought another . He loved those things.

jethunter
02-03-2019, 10:26 AM
I won't ride with polaris machines in the back country any more. They break down and then need to be towed out. Too many times i have to abuse my machine to do the towing so now if there is a polaris in the group i don't go riding with them. Too many times and it's always the dam polaris.

tri777
02-03-2019, 11:22 AM
hehe That's funny , my dad used to drive the K cars , his first one he put over 350000 km on it and bought another . He loved those things.

I also had very high success with 2 K-cars/ Dodge Daytona's. I would even buy another '85 Turbo Z
if it came along & in minty condition. I am very fond of that car, but..I still won't swing my leg over a Polaris, lol.

Xbolt7mm
02-03-2019, 09:23 PM
There are a few guys that owned some of the most unreliable POS, like the K car, you can think of and have never had a problem with them. It makes them lucky, it doesn't make the product good. Same as there are people that have had issues with Lexus, doesn't mean Lexus overall isn't one of the best built cars on the market.

When I am looking for a product I have no experience with I am looking for what the average experience with something is, not the outliers.

Which is why I gave my experience with polaris, i have no idea what you mean with your ramblings and am not sure if its even relevant, I had three, they all worked fine, i believe that thats what the OP was asking. I strayed from them and now have a can am that i have to modify to use, some say its a Lexus and the polaris is a k car, in my situation, all three k cars were better than the Lexus. Give your opinion on what the op is asking not what my experience is or shut the pie hole

Talking moose
02-03-2019, 11:12 PM
I have never owned a Polaris............because I know too many people that have bought them. Better to learn from others peoples mistakes than your own. Don’t forget that.

bezzola
02-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Xbolt7mm did you sell your XMR

Xbolt7mm
02-04-2019, 12:07 AM
Xbolt7mm did you sell your XMR

Nope, into it for 16 grand, im stuck with it now, but for what i do its certainly no better than the 5000 i paid fro each of the polaris 500’s i had. It’s ok i guess but no better for over 3 times the money,
Maybe a hard core guy might get more out of it I suppose, no way the wife will let me change lol. The last two years i might have 30 km on it, previous two i got 5000km on it, so it sits in the garage now waiting for snow. I need one for dragging critters now nand again, thats all

Xbolt7mm
02-04-2019, 12:14 AM

I have heard the grizzly is a good machine from several people, couple a family members had them, no complaints