PDA

View Full Version : Jerky on the Go

waldedw
01-17-2019, 07:13 AM
just threw another batch of moose jerky in the dehydrator, my contribution to the fish and game banquet next weekend. I have made over 100 lbs since Sept, grandkids eat it faster than I can crank it out.

Bearbreath
01-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Just started making moose & elk jerky in a cabelas 10 tray dehydrator. I already wish it was twice the size because the jerky just disappears so fast. Good problem to have.

Fish along
01-17-2019, 01:39 PM
So do you guys smoke at all or just marinate and dehydrate? Thanks.

Chief16
01-17-2019, 01:42 PM
I just marinade and dehydrate personally

1bowhunter12
01-17-2019, 01:48 PM
I just sat down after cutting up about 60 lbs of jerky ready for the smoker... I used the jerky slicer that attaches to the cabelas carnivore grinder for the first time today... wow does that save a ton of time and effin around ..

Bearbreath
01-17-2019, 03:49 PM

I have been using the cabelas seasoning packs. Over night in the fridge and then in the dehydrator. So good.

Colin_r6
01-17-2019, 04:17 PM
I love the Cabelas hickory seasoning.

I always do jerky with ground meat and dehydrator, haven't figured out how i'm going to smoke it yet, but one of these days i'll try it out. Wonder if I get good results if I smoke it for half an hour and then finish it off in the dehydrator.

curtz
01-17-2019, 08:37 PM
We love the Cabelas cracked pepper and garlic, I make it out of ground moose and smoke it with hickory. Yum

kmacisaac
01-17-2019, 10:15 PM

I've been running it through the smoker. I like both dehydrator and the smoker for quality but the smoked flavor is just untouchable.

waldedw
01-18-2019, 06:19 AM
I do mine out of ground meat, makes it easier for these old teeth to chew, I do about 7 lbs at a time, dissolve the seasoning in 1 cup of hot water and pour it over the meat, mix it in good and away you go, I use the cabelas seasoning packages, hickory and teriyaki seem to be the kids favorite but personally I like the cracked black pepper and garlic.

The reality is no matter what seasoning I use the stuff seems to evaporate, I have a cabelas 10 tray dehydrator and a 7 lb batch is about all I can get in there at one time.