PDA

View Full Version : What happens when it all goes dark?

FQ2
01-18-2019, 10:40 AM
If you and everything else lost electricity right now without warning for a month, but had no idea when or if it was coming on where would you all go?

How would you get there, and what would you take?

What do you think would happen?

How many people die and where?

Red Bullets
01-18-2019, 10:43 AM
I would go to the land. Don't need electricity there. Just firewood.

bat119
01-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Hook up the trailer and head for Arizona I've been thinking about doing that anyway

Grizzly Adams
01-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Lock the gate and sit tight. :D

Grizz

The Cook
01-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Fire up the generator to keep the freezers going (2 hrs a day) and throw another log (2 year supply) in the wood stove and pour a dark rum and coke while cleaning my 12 ga coach gun and 1911 45.

Sooner
01-18-2019, 10:50 AM

If I had enough fuel for the truck and equipment to get there, I could go to moose camp and set up the wall tent. Would not be great but there would be heat, food and water and I would be far enough away from any roads.

I could set up the tent in the back yard too or my shed is big enough to add a hole in the roof and put the wall tent wood stove in there real quick. Be tight but would not need a lot of wood to heat it.

Watched a real cheesy show on Netflix, doomsday preppers. Makes you think about having enough supplies on hand for a winter storm that might knock out power.

ghostguy6
01-18-2019, 10:51 AM
I would fire up the wood stove and be thankful I dont have to go to work or hear any more of Trudope's BS for the next month!

darren32
01-18-2019, 10:51 AM

Same. :)

buckbrush
01-18-2019, 10:55 AM
I’d go home. Move freezers outside (if it’s cold out). Shut in spare rooms in the house. Start a fire. I’d use my generator sparingly to run house well pump and sewer pump. Light some gas lanterns then put them out because they stink. Light some candles and wait for spring.

6.5swedeforelk
01-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Alex Trebek answer to

"Where was Moses when the lights went out".

Trochu
01-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Guess we'd be counting on the wood fireplace to keep warm and cook.

Would be interesting...

EZM
01-18-2019, 11:09 AM
A major issue in this scenario (30 days no electrical power) means gas pumps won't pump gas, so your truck and generator can't get re-fueled.

You can't buy anything in a retail outlet because the cash registers wouldn't work.

On the other hand the security cameras would be out to and you could siphon fuel and loot the stores ..... lol.

Jayhad
01-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Turn on my generator and load my magazines.

Honestly I think every family should have 3 months of provisions.

Zip
01-18-2019, 11:33 AM
well, we kinda live like that now...off grid back in the bush all on our own services, haul our own water, got lotsa fire wood, 2 generators if needed, lotsa gas storage for generators, we love it...we have become tiny home living people since we sold the bigger acreage up in PRiver way...
Zip:)

buckbrush
01-18-2019, 12:21 PM
We had a bit of a wake up call last year. -25, snowed in with no power for three days.

We went through way more firewood than I expected and it was also a great time to find out I only had one can of gas. Could have siphoned gas and diesel out of my vehicles and cut more fire wood.

By the time our power was back on we were down to about 10 sticks of firewood.

My next days off I went out and cut about three cords just to have on hand for emergency, rotated out as its replenished.

obsessed1
01-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Have spent the last 20 years of my life developing the skills needed and equipment/ tools for just such a scenario. We would survive just fine if it never came back on.

Redfrog
01-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Put on my blindfold, grab my bird box and head off across the country.:thinking-006:

Not much different than hunting/camping in a tent for a couple months

fishtank
01-18-2019, 01:26 PM
i got a honda generator :)

Hiwa
01-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Short term generator would be ok ,long term it's pure survival mode.
Things would degenerate quickly.
Check out Canadian Prepper on YT. Has some good points.

JareS
01-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Step 1- Get the **** away from densly populated area

bsmitty27
01-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Wood stove, geny while the fuel lasted then. Eat everything in the freezer, rice and beans for a month or so. Then it would start to get interesting. Hunker down and look after the family.
A reset would be interesting.

JareS
01-18-2019, 01:39 PM
Humans are already trampling each other for deals on flatscreen TVs, can hardly imagine what will happen when grocery stores run out of food...

JeanCretien
01-18-2019, 02:26 PM
I’d lock the gate and wait for the RCMP/military to break it down and steel my preparations to give to a more worthy cause...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigwoodsman
01-18-2019, 02:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASpL4DyZng

BW

JeanCretien
01-18-2019, 02:32 PM
I would fire up the wood stove and be thankful I dont have to go to work or hear any more of Trudope's BS for the next month!

Good point, how would we see all the selfies from his around the world vacations without power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewski Canuck
01-18-2019, 02:41 PM
had a great T Shirt once.

Two guys fishing in a boat while mushroom clouds from nuclear bombs where destroying a city in the distance.

One guy was facing the other and said "You know what this means Ned? No Size Restrictions and SCREW THE LIMITS!".

Anyways, there needs to be some preparation for chaos. These days, its just too easy to have Chaos rain down on us, much like the fear that people lived with every day in the 1960's.

It won't take much. Imagine a flu like the 1918 Spanish Flu. If Society loses just 20 % of the work force to a fatal flu strain, and reduced productivity due to illness for the survivors, it would mean total chaos for the economy.

Now take the potential of a terror attack with some degree of skill on a few major power stations rendering the power grid useless.

Then again, it could be something as simple as a collapse of the Internet itself due to hacker attacks.

Drewski

HighlandHeart
01-18-2019, 02:46 PM
If you and everything else lost electricity right now without warning for a month, but had no idea when or if it was coming on where would you all go?

It is hard to know how many people would die in the cities without water, heat, light, food, effective sewage disposal, sanitation and law enforcement would be stretched too thin to deter criminals from taking advantage. When the power goes out for a few days in the cities people die just from carbon monoxide and house fires starting from candles. People get pretty dangerous when they are tired, hungry, dirty, cold and desperate. I would stay home and talk to my neighbors about starting an enhanced neighborhood watch and ways in which we could help each other out.

58thecat
01-18-2019, 03:04 PM
Hunker down with a hottie:love0025:

grouse_hunter
01-18-2019, 03:38 PM
I'd stay right where I am. I have enough canned food to last me half a year. Chamber a round and remain vigilant!

fishtank
01-18-2019, 03:58 PM
i would hold out at costco:sHa_shakeshout:

ReconWilly
01-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Ask now HOW and WHY it will go dark.

https://youtu.be/xqd9gfmLX-g

molly
01-18-2019, 04:02 PM
Read this book for some ideas, haha!

"One Second After" by William Forstchen. I read it but have not bought the sequels. Danielle Smith had the author on a couple years back. He is highly educated, not the best writer though. This is about an EMP as opposed to just the power going off.

Definitely gives one pause to see how much everyone is dependent on electronics, and one wonders how long before utter chaos would take over. Not long, IMO. :)

wolf308
01-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Fire up the generator to keep the freezers going (2 hrs a day) and throw another log (2 year supply) in the wood stove and pour a dark rum and coke while cleaning my 12 ga coach gun and 1911 45.

Bahahah. Me like. I'd clean the same guns too

wolf308
01-18-2019, 04:22 PM

A few questions .... how would we know it's a month ? And what you mean how many people die in your last point ?

Anyhow for me. In winter. The small 2000w genny would prolly be fine to keep the house warm with a few space heaters I got. Put the deep freeze out side. Don't have enough food here for 5 though for a month.

2nd options providing vehicles still run i assume is load up food , guns, ammo and essentials ( chainsaw , tarps , survival gear etc etc ) in my truck and wife's and hit the cabin. Have dehydrated food up there enough to last. Kerosene lanterns or run genny just for lights each morning / night for a bit. Uncle has more food. Deers and rabbits. Lots of firewood. Figure out real cooking over the fire if the propane runs out

The Elkster
01-18-2019, 04:24 PM
The massive efficient system we have built works great when it work but when it breaks it is going to be a doozy. Just look what happened with only a few days lost power back east in the big cities. We are efficient beyond belief but that also means we are extremely sensitive to upset and we don't have vast stockpiles to rely on relative to the size of the population. Used to be everyone had a store of food and that bought us a buffer. Now its all about micro apartments with no storage and just in time delivery which is great when everything is running smoothly but...

If we have a prolonged upset where people stop going to work and there is a food and fuel shortage etc its going to be a shat show of monumental proportions. And there is nothing you'll be able to do about it regardless of planning. A gun and gold and a food cache is all good but when you have a total breakdown of the financial system and millions of starving people out roaming for survival you aren't likely to last long even with some planning. They'll probably find some guns as well and roam far and wide seeking out whatever they can. Starving people with kids can be pretty darn cagey I hear. I pray to god I'm dead before something like this happens. Billions of desperate people does not make for a good ending. Ironically the most unaffected will likely be those living in the third world.

wolf308
01-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Ask now HOW and WHY it will go dark.

https://youtu.be/xqd9gfmLX-g

Jeez willy. Couldn't last long watching that. Looks like a bad prop from an 80s flick you've told 3xs to make you a sandwich , talking

Purple Farmer
01-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Just in case you are the scouting party for the Russian invasion...

1. Somewhere with power.
2. By travelling.
3. Many things.
4. I would get there with all my things.
5. Some, mostly on Earth, however, quite possibly some in space.

How about you OP?

gulfman
01-18-2019, 04:54 PM

You know something we don't?

ReconWilly
01-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Jeez willy. Couldn't last long watching that. Looks like a bad prop from an 80s flick you've told 3xs to make you a sandwich , talking

Who cares what it looks like?

Would you be more interested in listening if it was Beyonce speaking?

The information is all that matters, this is how we got here.

T-Bone
01-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Head on up to my moose camp..

sgill808
01-18-2019, 05:27 PM
I would go looting.

Trochu
01-18-2019, 06:08 PM
I would go looting.

Finally get that big screen hey? Then when it comes back on, you could watch it go by Smith from the blue line with crystal clarity.

sgill808
01-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Finally get that big screen hey? Then when it comes back on, you could watch it go by Smith from the blue line with crystal clarity.

If the power goes out what the f am I gonna do with a big screen TV? Im going straight to the liquor store!

Trochu
01-18-2019, 06:15 PM

If the power goes out what the f am I gonna do with a big screen TV? Im going straight to the liquor store!

:)

drhu22
01-18-2019, 06:43 PM
I would go looting.

You are now on RCMP, CSIS and INTERPOLS list of sketchy, suspicious people. Wasnt that easy?

sgill808
01-18-2019, 06:51 PM
You are now on RCMP, CSIS and INTERPOLS list of sketchy, suspicious people. Wasnt that easy?

Im earning my 10 mill. Im on the internet grinding.

urban rednek
01-18-2019, 07:15 PM
had a great T Shirt once.

Two guys fishing in a boat while mushroom clouds from nuclear bombs where destroying a city in the distance.

One guy was facing the other and said "You know what this means Ned? No Size Restrictions and SCREW THE LIMITS!".

Drewski

Gary Larson was a genius:

Muller
01-18-2019, 07:58 PM

I’d stay home. It’s where I have everything I need.
I think society would crumble within a week to ten days.
It’s estimated 90% would die within the first 12 month.
Most are ill prepared.

If your interested in this stuff, check out the “ vanderlism” on Metcalf substation.
It could have turned the whole continent dark.

lead chucker
01-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Lock the gate and sit tight. :D

Grizz

Yup. Good to go

benamen
01-18-2019, 11:17 PM
A major issue in this scenario (30 days no electrical power) means gas pumps won't pump gas, so your truck and generator can't get re-fueled.

You can't buy anything in a retail outlet because the cash registers wouldn't work.

On the other hand the security cameras would be out to and you could siphon fuel and loot the stores ..... lol.I have pumped a lot of gas with a hand pump meant for a 45 gallon drum. Just clamp on a plastic pipe to the steel pipe, drop it down the hole used to fill the tank and start cranking.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Ishpah
01-19-2019, 02:57 AM
Lets say that a coronal mass ejection is detected sometime tomorrow. The population of the planet are informed that the cosmic rays will descend upon the earth in two to three day hence. One side of the earth, the day side, will be affected, but which side is still not certain.Suppose that it is our side.
Everything electronic is going to fail, not excluding the modern vehicle. You are going to be stranded, gas or no gas. No power, no means of communicating. It will be like turning the clock back a couple of centuries.
(It may be time for the other side of the earth to commence a followup "exercise" just to make certain of world domination.)
All of a sudden the population is feeling the effects of starvation. Hordes start marauding the cities and anarchy sets in because law and order are in chaos.
Where would the most likely safest place be?
Probably some town that would be more than a 2 day walk from a large metropolitan area. A town with a population around 5 thousand, one that most residents are hunters and fishers so that there are adequate firearms for defensive purpose as well as obtaining food. A town where the population can be cohesive like the Mennonite and Hutterite communities.
A town where everyone can depend on one another.
Here's something to ponder. Which firearms would or should you have on hand? Ones that there is an adequate supply of ammunition, like those that fire military and police ordnance because that ammunition will be easier to acquire as it has abundance.

35 whelen
01-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Head to the cabin, could survive for months there.

sgill808
01-19-2019, 08:36 AM
I think the worst part about this would be not being able to plug in the compressor to fill up the wife.

58thecat
01-19-2019, 09:04 AM

Don't forget agents Moulder and Skully list too there.......or perhaps Charlie's Angels should come on by too......:snapoutofit:

58thecat
01-19-2019, 09:05 AM
Head to the cabin, could survive for months there.

I'll rent the one beside you.....

35 whelen
01-19-2019, 09:11 AM
I'll rent the one beside you..... yep all you need is 2 guns and 500 rounds :)

58thecat
01-19-2019, 09:15 AM
yep all you need is 2 guns and 500 rounds :)

I'll bring my fishing gear too:sHa_shakeshout:

6.5 shooter
01-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Lets say that a coronal mass ejection is detected sometime tomorrow. The population of the planet are informed that the cosmic rays will descend upon the earth in two to three day hence. One side of the earth, the day side, will be affected, but which side is still not certain.Suppose that it is our side.
Everything electronic is going to fail, not excluding the modern vehicle. You are going to be stranded, gas or no gas. No power, no means of communicating. It will be like turning the clock back a couple of centuries.
(It may be time for the other side of the earth to commence a followup "exercise" just to make certain of world domination.)
All of a sudden the population is feeling the effects of starvation. Hordes start marauding the cities and anarchy sets in because law and order are in chaos.
Where would the most likely safest place be?
Probably some town that would be more than a 2 day walk from a large metropolitan area. A town with a population around 5 thousand, one that most residents are hunters and fishers so that there are adequate firearms for defensive purpose as well as obtaining food. A town where the population can be cohesive like the Mennonite and Hutterite communities.
A town where everyone can depend on one another.
Here's something to ponder. Which firearms would or should you have on hand? Ones that there is an adequate supply of ammunition, like those that fire military and police ordnance because that ammunition will be easier to acquire as it has abundance.

It would all depend on which time of the year it happened as well. Winter most of the population would be dead in weeks if not days, bright side? less disease to float around due to the decay...kinda gross but true, think of all the industrial farms with no power..pigs, chickens etc. Lack of medical supplies would take another 50% or so old age..the list goes on.

Summer chances are that more will survive a bit longer but disease due to massive lose of life etc. may be more deadly then the cold of winter.

The masses see the nice warm smoke coming from your chimney,,you become an instant target. You run around in camo..hummmm wonder if he has food?

Best rifle for the situation ? well a .22 rates pretty high, light ammo can send a few rounds down range quickly with relative accuracy..draw back not too lethal.

No solution is going to be 100% but you can spend hours driving yourself crazy trying to imagine one.

drhu22
01-19-2019, 04:51 PM
Don't forget agents Moulder and Skully list too there.......or perhaps Charlie's Angels should come on by too......:snapoutofit:

Great post, heres your prize...
https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimage s%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcR76lafgfSNqSovfSHf91K_Sr3DV1Ic j7HEAvPLB2zXLnCW7HNMhg&sp=5ff456c2bb70c2c1b7334d558927c934&anticache=115063

Edit: I thought it was obviously tongue in cheek... I guess not to some people.

calgarychef
01-20-2019, 12:15 AM
Some people are really out of touch. If the **** hit the fan and you decided to “get on the road and go somewhere else” you’ll probably die on that road. Traffic jams, running out of gas, looters when you’re stranded etc. all are real problems and you’ll never get where you’re going.

Stay in your house where you already have your equipment and gear. Hopefully you’ll have a home close to water, you’ll be able to heat your home with wood. You’ll have a good group of neighbours who can band together and work as a unit to ensure your immediate deeds and make sure that the “hordes” don’t take what you need to survive.

This idea of running away to “survive” is stupid ....Running away to what? Who could realistically live in the bush with minimal equipment for an extended period of time?

For those of us who go camping or hunting even if we really “know how”. When our supplies run out...we’re “done.”

does it ALL outdoors
01-20-2019, 05:00 AM

After reading that i kinda wish it WOULD go out for a month.

No more pipeline bs, Nutley or Hoffman, Zoolander or Freeland, no more U.N talk :sHa_shakeshout:

7mmremmag
01-20-2019, 08:22 AM
Some people are really out of touch. If the **** hit the fan and you decided to “get on the road and go somewhere else” you’ll probably die on that road. Traffic jams, running out of gas, looters when you’re stranded etc. all are real problems and you’ll never get where you’re going.

Stay in your house where you already have your equipment and gear. Hopefully you’ll have a home close to water, you’ll be able to heat your home with wood. You’ll have a good group of neighbours who can band together and work as a unit to ensure your immediate deeds and make sure that the “hordes” don’t take what you need to survive.

This idea of running away to “survive” is stupid ....Running away to what? Who could realistically live in the bush with minimal equipment for an extended period of time?

For those of us who go camping or hunting even if we really “know how”. When our supplies run out...we’re “done.”

Not all of us have wood fire places at home. Myself I would have no choice but to head to my cabin. Yes its a 7hr drive, but with my Ford full & my slip tank I can get 2400km.
Also my cabin has a few months supply of firewood, generator, barrel of gas and +/- 300lbs of propane.

calgarychef
01-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Not all of us have wood fire places at home. Myself I would have no choice but to head to my cabin. Yes its a 7hr drive, but with my Ford full & my slip tank I can get 2400km.
Also my cabin has a few months supply of firewood, generator, barrel of gas and +/- 300lbs of propane.

And if it was really bad and everyone was heading for “somewhere else” you’d die in a traffic jam the likes of which we’ve never seen.

ken1989
01-20-2019, 10:13 AM
And if it was really bad and everyone was heading for “somewhere else” you’d die in a traffic jam the likes of which we’ve never seen.

Probably like Fort McMurray fire traffic jam many times over.

Biggest problem would be desperate people doing whatever to care for and protect their loved ones.

TBD
01-20-2019, 10:31 AM
for a taste how bad things will get, when the pop is starving -- all options are on the table.

A good movie to watch `The road`

TBD

ETOWNCANUCK
01-20-2019, 11:23 AM
It would probably take a couple of days or so to realize that the power wasn’t coming back.
No one would go into survival mode immediately.
After that, most would wait for some sort of message to get out from the government.
Then widespread panic would ensue.
Those in the major cities or densely populated areas would not be able to get out anywhere.
Many would be killed within the first few hours or days.
Marshal Law will be declared, so not only will you have to worry about your neighbors but police and military as well.
Many people would take their lives and those of their families if it came down to that.
I would think 30 days would be enough to badly affect balance and send humanity in a spiral that would take years to overcome.
Things would never be the same after that.

Probably wouldn’t take long for war to break out.

58thecat
01-20-2019, 12:40 PM
Great post, heres your prize...
https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimage s%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcR76lafgfSNqSovfSHf91K_Sr3DV1Ic j7HEAvPLB2zXLnCW7HNMhg&sp=5ff456c2bb70c2c1b7334d558927c934&anticache=115063

Edit: I thought it was obviously tongue in cheek... I guess not to some people.

Since we are handing out gifts.....

I return the other half to you....:)

ice
01-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Considering we live in a province with huge reserves of fuel. I don’t think it would be much of an issue.
Sure electric pump’s won’t pump fuel. But pump’s that run off fuel sure can.

drhu22
01-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Since we are handing out gifts..... 152244 I return the other half to you....:)

Now that was funny! I really laughed at that because its true sometimes... still, you shouldnt have slapped me. :shake:

FQ2
01-22-2019, 05:29 PM
I find this too be interesting bathroom reading

https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf

FQ2
03-12-2019, 10:48 AM
100 Items to Disappear First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war - death of parents and
friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.

1. Stockpiling helps. but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate
near renewable food sources.
2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war
quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold's.
4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to
do without (unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without
heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of
the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs
enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in
bulk.
6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more
valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival
guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you'll
have a lot of time on your hands.
7. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how many
people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of
toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to
lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches

Ken07AOVette
03-12-2019, 11:01 AM
Sit in my house and live normally.

I have a natural gas automatic generator. And lots of oil for oil changes.

I have 600L of gas in the boat for the honda generator should the nat gas stop pumping, but that would likely take a long time.

I have diesel and gas for the trucks, and the freezer is jammed to the top.

Prepare for the worst and make the best happen, because hoping and praying doesn't do squat. Fishing would happen daily if things got bad. 2 of us could live in the boat for a long time.

calgarychef
03-12-2019, 11:06 AM
I’d stay home. It’s where I have everything I need.
I think society would crumble within a week to ten days.
It’s estimated 90% would die within the first 12 month.
Most are ill prepared.

If your interested in this stuff, check out the “ vanderlism” on Metcalf substation.
It could have turned the whole continent dark.

I think you’ve got it right. Everybody talks about heading out of the city....to what? The same problems exist in the city as do in the country except you have your equipment, food and guns. I’d invite a few neighbours over to sit in my wood heated house. Empty the freezer of steaks after a few days and get them drying into jerky. Load the guns and fortify the house. In the country there will still be people wandering and looking for “stuff” so the same problems of looting exist.

If it was really bad hitting the road would be the worst thing anyone could do.
Permanent Traffic jams caused by accidents and running out of gas. A person could be stuck in that mess and necpver get out.

Bushrat
03-12-2019, 05:32 PM
The more prepared and well supplied you are the larger the target on your head will be. Those who think they will sit in their moose camp or at home with their generators, fuel supplies, food, etc, will be the first to go if the feces hit the fan.
People will kill you for a pound of hamburger or a gallon of gas. You might be able to defend yourself for a while but they will kill you sooner than you think. People will be like wolves, the sound of gunfire will mean somebody's got something somebody wants and will attract even more packs of people to fight over it until whatever it is is used up.

If you think humans are not animals you will find out different real quick if such a scenario happens. Sad part is eventually something like this will happen

Penner
03-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Assuming it’s the end of the world as we know it (not just a handful of days)... I hope most who answered are my neighbors cause I’ll just use what you all left behind as you won’t make it long enough.:bad_boys_20:

Ken07AOVette
03-12-2019, 07:28 PM
LOL

This is getting hilarious.

Did some of you guys just watch The Purge or something?

Wait a minute!

THIS JUST IN!!!

https://i.postimg.cc/fWFpT3DX/oh-no.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

FQ2
03-15-2019, 12:10 PM
1 in 7 chance it'll be a Thursday

https://myyearofsweat.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/feature.jpg

Marsha
03-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Sit back and watch all the young smart ass suffer and die off because a smart phone will not work !!No u tube to tell them how to strike a match for fire,
How to prepare food, because of the Prepared meals at safeway running out.
and no entertainment will cause all young to die off, most have forgotten what a book is:thinking-006:

This old fart will sit back with a nice fire, able to cook what ever I have or catch, enjoying a huge collection of paperbacks.. by candle light....

mattthegorby
03-15-2019, 03:29 PM
I think I have allot more faith in humanity than most, lol.

In my opinion, best thing to do is keep a couple months of food you regularly cycle through, have a couple months of firewood, and build good relationships with your neighbors ahead of time.

RandyBoBandy
03-15-2019, 08:25 PM
If it all goes dark for all of us..Won't matter because we will all be in the same predicament... :) Most will help each other out :) I think.. NO ??

JReed
03-15-2019, 08:46 PM
One things guaranteed, if groceries become an issue, one of those mulies down the road are going to get it lol

calgarychef
03-15-2019, 11:01 PM

I have 600L of gas in the boat for the honda generator should the nat gas stop pumping, but that would likely take a long time.

Prepare for the worst and make the best happen, because hoping and praying doesn't do squat. Fishing would happen daily if things got bad. 2 of us could live in the boat for a long time.

And when the natural gas stops?

vcmm
03-16-2019, 05:54 AM
I would just be going to Kens house:)

Grizzly Adams
03-16-2019, 09:34 AM
i would hold out at costco:sHa_shakeshout:

Sure, live on free samples for ever. :lol:

Grizz

Dick284
03-16-2019, 09:38 AM
I’d simple go into work!
And probably bring the family with.

Kind of a hidden benefit when you get to run one of the provinces key blackstart entities.

Oldan Grumpi
03-16-2019, 09:42 AM
There’d be a helluva baby boom nine months after the lights came back on.

KGB
03-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Need a friend? I can be your friend! I can be your only friend! And I will bring vodka to make it more fun, lol!

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2019, 10:39 AM
And when the natural gas stops?

Then i switch to liquid fossil fuels. I have a stockpile as I said.

I would just be going to Kens house:)

Nah, lets go fishing!!! :)

Need a friend? I can be your friend! I can be your only friend! And I will bring vodka to make it more fun, lol!

Sure! Just no alcohol on the boat lol

Red Bullets
03-16-2019, 12:33 PM
2 of us could live in the boat for a long time.

When the lights go off the pirates come out to play. Be sure to mount a couple 8 pound cannons on your boat. Keep the harpoons sharp.

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2019, 12:48 PM
When the lights go off the pirates come out to play. Be sure to mount a couple 8 pound cannons on your boat. Keep the harpoons sharp.

actually I have a cannon!!! lol!

It is beautiful, Oldman made it for me. Weighs close to 100 lbs. It will launch a golfball 1500 yards, imagine what an aluminum slug made on the lathe would do to a pirate boat!

https://i.postimg.cc/9MDTKkSR/cannon3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/0QhmsfRt/cannon2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pLPjRr4t/cannon1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

KGB
03-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Holy poop man, I thought you are joking here but you are dead serious! A cannon? Lol!
I think we will need more vodka!

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2019, 01:47 PM
It is absolutely awesome lol!

The thump in your chest from 2FF is incredible from 20' away :)

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2019, 01:54 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sXnJkSwx/ao-power-out.jpg (https://postimg.cc/njD77s8f)

bat119
03-16-2019, 02:06 PM
When will it all go dark is the real question, people have been preparing for the end since the 30's anybody remember "duck n cover" drills in school during the 60's

History of survivalism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Red Bullets
03-16-2019, 02:16 PM
actually I have a cannon!!! lol!

It is beautiful, Oldman made it for me. Weighs close to 100 lbs. It will launch a golfball 1500 yards, imagine what an aluminum slug made on the lathe would do to a pirate boat!

https://i.postimg.cc/9MDTKkSR/cannon3.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/0QhmsfRt/cannon2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/pLPjRr4t/cannon1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Love the cannon. A couple fist fulls of tungsten machining inserts in front of 5 lbs of serpentine powder would be fun to shoot at pirates too.

It would be nice to have the cannon on the boat just to keep the seals away when salmon fishing.

Red Bullets
03-16-2019, 02:19 PM
If the electricity went out finally all the light pollution would stop. The hum of electricity in cities would stop so the electrical noise pollution would stop. All the rural yard lights would go out. It would actually get quiet at night. There would be no way of transmitting radio waves so the air would become silent too. Everyone would be sleeping better. It would re-set people's natural sleep patterns according to natural light cycles.

And if by chance Yellowstone's Caldera decides to blow there wouldn't be much solar power to be had either. Looks like we better go back to coal fired electricity just to be safe.

Within a couple weeks of no electricity everyone would be sitting around campfires and banging the drum. And you would hear the children crying... " Ahh, do we have to have magpie soup for supper again? Can't we have the cat instead?"

Ken07AOVette
03-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Love the cannon. A couple fist fulls of tungsten machining inserts in front of 5 lbs of serpentine powder would be fun to shoot at pirates too.

It would be nice to have the cannon on the boat just to keep the seals away when salmon fishing.

I loosed a load of split shot onto the lagoon one time, WOW you should have seen that!!! You could take out a whole flock of ducks and geese with 1 fuse!!

Or light up a crab pot stealing bastard so bad they would never touch one again.

Lead balls and slingshots work very well on sealions. :)

guywiththemule
03-16-2019, 03:03 PM
"Back to normal" Having grown up with no electricity , telephone, running water(me with 5 gal pails) or indoor toilets it would`t be a big shock or hardship!:sHa_shakeshout . Same as I do now in Argentina every year for 4 months since I retired !! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

javlin101
03-16-2019, 06:07 PM
I would stay at a Holiday Inn of course.

FQ2
03-27-2019, 01:15 PM
2018 Brazil truck drivers' strike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Brazil_truck_drivers%27_strike?fbclid=IwAR2zB IzwhSCiP-ELu8i9rrzUelKacRpskFl33Yh06DzjXeUbQEska5yhhJI

panic
04-02-2019, 08:09 AM
So many people have said head to the hills...that means there'll be thousands of like minded folks wandering around the mountains and forestry fighting for firwood.

I'll find myself an island on a lake, on an island in a lake...double the security! :)

leeaspell
04-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Head to one of the old abandoned leasesin the area, near some body of water. Rip out some stainless lines and run to my makeshift shelter. Pretty much life time supply of gas to stay warm and cook.

Or....blow myself up or gas myself with h2s. Either or

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk