PDA

View Full Version : How do you catch burbot??

mtnhunter
01-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Hey everyone, I've searched the internet and found as much as I can find about the elusive burbot. What tips can you offer a newbie ice fisher to swing the pendulum of success in his favour? I've tried at all hours of the night... I've used glow jigs/spoons... I've used different baits and scents... I've tried dead sticking and banging the jigs on the silty bottoms... I've tried deeper water and shallower water. What else can I do to find these fish or entice them to bite?? TIA for your help!!

220 Swift
01-21-2019, 08:37 PM
No expert, posting for following and BTT.

I caught my same burbot this Year first week of Jan.

Shallow water 7.5' near a pier. There was some weeds that are almost flattened. Used double tailed white rubber wiggler. Earthworm.

Hit hard.

Burbot Sherbet
01-21-2019, 11:37 PM
If you’re just looking to C&R, burbot bite well during their spawn (usually toward February and March) but you can’t retain them during this period in most Alberta lakes. But if you want to eat the poor man’s lobster, I’ve had luck after dark pounding silt with a smelt in 20ft near a drop off. It also tends to get easier to pique their interest the closer to the end of January you cut it.

It also helps for google search purposes to know that burbot go by tons of different regional names (eelpout, ling, lawyers, mariah, lake cod). Many diverse strategies for catching and cooking these beauties out there.

Good luck on your search for the fish that tastes better than it looks!

Mountain Guy
01-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Hey everyone, I've searched the internet and found as much as I can find about the elusive burbot. What tips can you offer a newbie ice fisher to swing the pendulum of success in his favour? I've tried at all hours of the night... I've used glow jigs/spoons... I've used different baits and scents... I've tried dead sticking and banging the jigs on the silty bottoms... I've tried deeper water and shallower water. What else can I do to find these fish or entice them to bite?? TIA for your help!!

Its tough but if you could go back in time about 20 years you won't be able to keep them off.
The ravens were really fat back then....:)

yoteblaster
01-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Last couple days I have been having luck dead sticking with smelts. Bring them in flashing a Williams wobbler then they aggressively take the smelt when they see it

mtnhunter
01-22-2019, 08:26 PM
No expert, posting for following and BTT.

I caught my same burbot this Year first week of Jan.

Shallow water 7.5' near a pier. There was some weeds that are almost flattened. Used double tailed white rubber wiggler. Earthworm.

Hit hard.

Thanks Swift. I've tried glow double-tails tipped both with and without a piece of smelt and no luck yet. Guess I just have to keep moving around!

mtnhunter
01-22-2019, 08:29 PM
If you’re just looking to C&R, burbot bite well during their spawn (usually toward February and March) but you can’t retain them during this period in most Alberta lakes. But if you want to eat the poor man’s lobster, I’ve had luck after dark pounding silt with a smelt in 20ft near a drop off. It also tends to get easier to pique their interest the closer to the end of January you cut it.

It also helps for google search purposes to know that burbot go by tons of different regional names (eelpout, ling, lawyers, mariah, lake cod). Many diverse strategies for catching and cooking these beauties out there.

Good luck on your search for the fish that tastes better than it looks!

I would like to taste the poor man's lobster if possible, but I'll settle for catching one even around the spawn. It will be a real accomplishment to finally catch one after targeting them specifically and not being successful so far.

Thanks for sharing the other regional names for burbot!

mtnhunter
01-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Last couple days I have been having luck dead sticking with smelts. Bring them in flashing a Williams wobbler then they aggressively take the smelt when they see it

Do you use one setup with the dead stick and then in a nearby hole use a wobbler to add some flash to lure them in? Or is it just the wobbler with a smelt that you stop moving when you know they're in the area?

yoteblaster
01-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Separate holes. Lure them in with the wobbler then grab the smelt rig and move it a bit to get their attention. Have just gotten aggressive in the last few days

PlayDoh
01-23-2019, 01:30 AM

It also helps for google search purposes to know that burbot go by tons of different regional names (lawyers)

LMAO. Never heard that one. I call them lake-lizards.

If you’ve never caught one, or seen one in person, prepare yourself. Their ugly as sin. Think Sucker + Newt.

And their hard to kill. My first one I finally took my hitch receiver out and smashed his head in after a half dozen failed ‘bonks’.

The real treat is cleaning them, lol. Columbian neck-tie and pulling off a rubber glove with pliers.

NSR_RAT
01-23-2019, 06:39 AM
For someone that’s never targeted them what would be a good depth/structure to start with especially at night?

58thecat
01-23-2019, 06:56 AM

If you’ve never caught one, or seen one in person, prepare yourself. Their ugly as sin. Think Sucker + Newt.

And their hard to kill. My first one I finally took my hitch receiver out and smashed his head in after a half dozen failed ‘bonks’.

The real treat is cleaning them, lol. Columbian neck-tie and pulling off a rubber glove with pliers.

Yup was fishing with a Newfie on the ice, he was about 30 yards away reeling in a fish, up it came and he screamed like a girl, fell off his bucket/seat rolled to his feet and said WTF is that....it was a very large lake lizard:)

We ate it....poor man's lobster.

Bang the bottom with a hunk of liver....they get aggressive and heavy on the bite February/March.

Burbot Sherbet
01-23-2019, 11:36 AM
For someone that’s never targeted them what would be a good depth/structure to start with especially at night?

I have found them most often on a silty/muddy bottom near a drop off at 10-20ft. The bite really comes in waves much like jumbo perch. You might spend a couple hours not catching a thing even if you’re right over top of them and then everyone will be pulling them up as fast as they can get their hooks in the water with a pile of different baits and presentations.

When I go for burbs, I start about an hour before sunset and scout a few likely spots and then hole hop every half hour until the bite starts.

SNAPFisher
01-23-2019, 12:20 PM
While I understand why many on here target fishing for burbs in twilight and darker hours, I focus on daytime trips for burb almost elusively every year. Rarely do I find night fishing or just before dark better than broad daylight. Almost 100% of the time I use a jig and minnow, and, I use a good underwater camera. The camera is invaluable in seeing one and knowing to get the attention of a burb that may otherwise swim on by. Plus, I find burb fishing pretty boring when I'm not seeing how they react. They are much more fun, in my opinion, to watch.

First ice is great right on through until spawn time. Of course it can be off the charts during the spawn on the right day.

mapleleafman3
01-23-2019, 01:09 PM
A few links for bedtime reading on the subject.

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/burbot-ice-fishing-primer-part-1/
https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/burbot-ice-fishing-primer-part-2/

http://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/how-to-catch-burbot/153654
http://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/ice-fishing-for-burbot/154709

mtnhunter
01-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Separate holes. Lure them in with the wobbler then grab the smelt rig and move it a bit to get their attention. Have just gotten aggressive in the last few days

Thanks Yote! I'll give it a try!

mtnhunter
01-23-2019, 07:28 PM

I'm looking forward to the challenge PlayDoh! :)

mtnhunter
01-23-2019, 07:29 PM
Yup was fishing with a Newfie on the ice, he was about 30 yards away reeling in a fish, up it came and he screamed like a girl, fell off his bucket/seat rolled to his feet and said WTF is that....it was a very large lake lizard:)

We ate it....poor man's lobster.

Bang the bottom with a hunk of liver....they get aggressive and heavy on the bite February/March.

I'm trying a bait made of chicken livers and chicken blood which apparently works for catfish as well. No luck on that yet!

mtnhunter
01-23-2019, 07:31 PM
While I understand why many on here target fishing for burbs in twilight and darker hours, I focus on daytime trips for burb almost elusively every year. Rarely do I find night fishing or just before dark better than broad daylight. Almost 100% of the time I use a jig and minnow, and, I use a good underwater camera. The camera is invaluable in seeing one and knowing to get the attention of a burb that may otherwise swim on by. Plus, I find burb fishing pretty boring when I'm not seeing how they react. They are much more fun, in my opinion, to watch.

First ice is great right on through until spawn time. Of course it can be off the charts during the spawn on the right day.

Where do you target them during the daytime? Deepest spots on the lake? I've read they come onto shallower shelfs to feed at night

old dog
01-23-2019, 07:43 PM
I seem to catch all mine by accident not by design. lol but sure taste good

SNAPFisher
01-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Where do you target them during the daytime? Deepest spots on the lake? I've read they come onto shallower shelfs to feed at night

Not at all. They come in the shallows right from the get go. Besides, cameras are not really effective that much after 30FOW. Adjacent to the deeper water on a bit of a flat applies for sure. We have so few really big lakes so you have to use your imagination a bit but most lakes have something like this to start. A lake like Gull there are all over the place during the day. Not really hard to find there.

1bowhunter12
01-23-2019, 07:55 PM
What I’ve always done this time of year is go to a few places that have big boulders and large rocks in shallow shallow water ..4 feet max ... if you can find a place like this you will catch burbs .. that’s just what I do ..

mtnhunter
01-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Not at all. They come in the shallows right from the get go. Besides, cameras are not really effective that much after 30FOW. Adjacent to the deeper water on a bit of a flat applies for sure. We have so few really big lakes so you have to use your imagination a bit but most lakes have something like this to start. A lake like Gull there are all over the place during the day. Not really hard to find there.

Thanks SNAP. I may have been focusing a little too much on the deeper areas, so I'll try more shallow flats

SNAPFisher
01-23-2019, 09:08 PM
Thanks SNAP. I may have been focusing a little too much on the deeper areas, so I'll try more shallow flats

No problem. Just to clarify, 12-15 FOW is my most common depth. You will certainly find them in less as well but I prefer 12-15.

CanadianFisherman
02-01-2019, 11:08 AM
I've had some decent luck during the day catching burbot. I think they like the areas where there's a wall of fishing shacks, probably all the bait thrown or broken off laying on the bottom. I use anchovies on a treble, about 6" from bottom. They usual points, 12-15 fow, sandy bottoms usually but i'm not always with someone with a camera... Usually find a few during the day this way, but tend to find more after dark when staying the night.

Timothy
02-01-2019, 12:08 PM
I agree. I’ve caught a few this year in the day. All on sandy open bottoms in 12-16 fow. All of them went for my sebile vibrato over my buddies minnow.

mtnhunter
02-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I've had some decent luck during the day catching burbot. I think they like the areas where there's a wall of fishing shacks, probably all the bait thrown or broken off laying on the bottom. I use anchovies on a treble, about 6" from bottom. They usual points, 12-15 fow, sandy bottoms usually but i'm not always with someone with a camera... Usually find a few during the day this way, but tend to find more after dark when staying the night.

Thanks for the suggestions. Where do you buy frozen anchovies?

Talking moose
02-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Most of the time how I know a burb is near, is he starts pushing the camera around. He soon bores of it and grabs the bait. They sure are curious of cameras.

DOGFISH
02-01-2019, 09:07 PM
We were catching them during the day in 25' of water last weekend with anything on the bottom.

Double-Eh
02-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Appeal to the senses :
Loud
Glowing
Stinky

During spawn I use glowing Whistler jigs or heavy rattlers tipped with a minnow either fresh frozen or older with some stink and pound them on the bottom.

They come in and bite as aggressively as you'll get from then. Delicious buggers that they are.

mtnhunter
02-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Great tips and that leads to another question:

What is the stinkiest bait that has worked well for you?

I've tried a chicken liver and blood catfish bait that stunk terribly but hasn't proven successful... yet!

Fish along
02-05-2019, 11:24 AM
These burbot are related to salt water conger eels,and at night they come ashore to feed,because they have big mouths they can take big baits,id bet money that mackerel would work because they are oily,gear don't have to be fancy weighted treble hook with with a chunk of bait sit it on the bottom and move it occasionaly.Generaly very aggressive especially when feeding.:shark:

kevinhits
02-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Great tips and that leads to another question:

What is the stinkiest bait that has worked well for you?

I've tried a chicken liver and blood catfish bait that stunk terribly but hasn't proven successful... yet!

Just leave your smelts out and will stink up....LOL

I also use raw liver...cheap and has always worked for me:)

Drape the raw liver over a treble hook....

CanadianFisherman
02-06-2019, 06:58 PM
MtnHunter, I get them at the Ghost pine store of Hwy 42, they were all out the other day when I stopped though
*Your mailbox was full, hope you see this.

Talking moose
02-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Spend a day on buffalo lake right now by Stettler and your almost gaurenteed a burb. Closed to keep now though after feb 1

mtnhunter
02-06-2019, 08:42 PM
MtnHunter, I get them at the Ghost pine store of Hwy 42, they were all out the other day when I stopped though
*Your mailbox was full, hope you see this.

Thanks CF! Didn't realize I had to delete my send PMs in order to stay below the 100 message limit hahaha

Mitchthefisher
02-06-2019, 09:11 PM
I like to bang bottom lots with a thumper jig and minnow or something heavy enough to stir up sand. And fish a tipup or jaw jacker with jig and minnow close by. I have got some big ones on big tube jigs before to.

TROLLER
02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
I picked up some pickled herring at Costco. Falls off easy so I let it sit overnight on wax paper and it solidifies a bit so it stays on the hook. A bait button also helps a lot

Talking moose
02-07-2019, 12:29 PM
I picked up some pickled herring at Costco. Falls off easy so I let it sit overnight on wax paper and it solidifies a bit so it stays on the hook. A bait button also helps a lot

You prefer pickled over a regular herring? Do they out fish regular?

Okotok
02-07-2019, 02:28 PM
As kids we used to catch a lot of burbot using chub. We couldn't afford to buy herring or smelts even if they were available. A nickel bought you a chunk of red meat from the butcher. We'd use that to catch a chub or two and then cut them up in 1" or so chunks for bait (the heads worked well). A spark plug, big nut, rock etc. tied on the end of the thick green 100' test line with a couple of hooks tied above the weight. Whirl it out into the current and it would bounce down a ways till it stopped. When the line started going downstream again, it was time to pull in Mr. burbot. Having said that, we caught quite a few on red meat and frogs too. I don't think they're too picky but have never ice fished for them much.

Talking moose
02-07-2019, 03:04 PM
As kids we used to catch a lot of burbot using chub. We couldn't afford to buy herring or smelts even if they were available. A nickel bought you a chunk of red meat from the butcher. We'd use that to catch a chub or two and then cut them up in 1" or so chunks for bait (the heads worked well). A spark plug, big nut, rock etc. tied on the end of the thick green 100' test line with a couple of hooks tied above the weight. Whirl it out into the current and it would bounce down a ways till it stopped. When the line started going downstream again, it was time to pull in Mr. burbot. Having said that, we caught quite a few on red meat and frogs too. I don't think they're too picky but have never ice fished for them much.

That’s exactly how I used to catch em in the Peace. A bit of bacon to catch a Chubb and then use chunks of Chubb for bait.

mtnhunter
02-07-2019, 05:23 PM
I like to bang bottom lots with a thumper jig and minnow or something heavy enough to stir up sand. And fish a tipup or jaw jacker with jig and minnow close by. I have got some big ones on big tube jigs before to.

I haven't tried a tube jig yet, so that's something I'm trying next time I go!

marlin1
02-08-2019, 12:58 PM
airplane jigs always worked for me , tipped with smelt or minnow . little green propeller jig was good too

mtnhunter
02-08-2019, 02:09 PM
airplane jigs always worked for me , tipped with smelt or minnow . little green propeller jig was good too

Thanks Marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okotok
02-14-2019, 07:20 AM
That’s exactly how I used to catch em in the Peace. A bit of bacon to catch a Chubb and then use chunks of Chubb for bait.

I grew up in Peace River so that's where I learned. Worked well there. Chub worked for pretty much everything although grasshoppers worked better for goldeye. Spent a lot of time on that river in the 70s.

.270fan
02-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Now that takes me back ! My little brother and I would walk a couple blocks down to the Peace with a pound of bacon and our fishing gear and our friends from across the street. We'd spend hours tossing lines into the river catching chub and the odd pike or gold eye, but our First Nations friends had the magic touch for catching burbot. Big ol hook with a chunk of chub, a nut for a weight and they'd whirl it overhead and fling it out into the current and let it sit. Once it started moving again they haul er in. I never had much luck as hard as I tried to copy them.

I still remember how mad my mom would get that we would use bacon for bait.