PDA

View Full Version : Pedder Bay - Sooke area of Van Island Questions

TippyCanoe
01-24-2019, 09:25 AM
The family and I are headed to Van Island the second week of August. I plan on renting a boat from Pedder Bay Marina for one of the days that we're out there and spent a full day on the water.

I have the gear and tackle to target halibut, rockfish, lingcod or pinks. I've done a ton of research online, but if anyone has any knowledge or experience with area I'd love to hear it.

I've heard that there is decent halibut, rockfish and lingcod fishing around Race Rocks. Also, heard that the pinks should be in heavy by then and they can be caught easily by jigging pink buzz bombs. There were a few posts that said you shouldn't use any bait in that area as the dogfish are pretty thick and you'll end up catching them all day.

Should I be bringing a downrigger rod too in case the pinks aren't in so I can go after coho? I'm also bringing a couple of crab traps as I've heard they're pretty plentiful in the area.

If anyone has any knowledge or tips on the area for that time it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

fisher Gord
01-24-2019, 12:18 PM
I have relates there, we fish every year. Halibut can be caught in the mud hole about 3 miles out,but lots of dog fish at that time. Race rocks is a conservation area, got to stay in deep water. Pinks should be thick at that time. would downrig by the can bouy, might pick up a chin,and go around the corner west to church rock and fish in front. will be there also at that time.

Serengeti Charters
01-24-2019, 02:10 PM
Chinook fishing shouldn't be too bad that time of the year, halibut there are a lot of dogfish around. Just be sure you make sure not to fish in the large area closed to fishing (due to killer whale foraging) from Otter Point down the coast !

Pinks should be in heavy! Buzz bombs work great but nothing beats downrigging for em in terms of success rate.

TippyCanoe
01-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Thanks for tips. I was aware of the closure area. I should have mentioned that. Looking for to it!

Evil69
01-24-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm originally from there (Langford/Colwood)and can give you some info. We always fished Church on sundays ;) I will PM you later tonight, I'm on the ice and just checked in.

TippyCanoe
01-25-2019, 09:16 AM
Thanks again Evil69. The information you provided in your PM is great and very helpful.

Bullfighter
01-25-2019, 03:51 PM
For one day with basic rental boat without downrigger, I would focus on fishing the pedder bay can buoy or becher bay area in 50-70ft of water. We've had many days fishing out of Becher bay where we worked the trap shack/church/otter point area hard only to come back with old timers cleaning limits of teenager chinooks from just inside the calm sunny bays of becher bay. Dog fish never bugged us salmon fishing, only hear about it halibut fishing. Fog or wind might limit you to the inside bays anyways if you are renting a basic boat from Pedder. Follow the tide lines in 200-300 ft of water for the pinks.

Red Bullets
01-25-2019, 07:02 PM
In case you get landlocked by weather when you are on the island you can always try largemouth bass fishing on Shawnigan lake or other lakes around the island.

Smoky buck
01-25-2019, 09:11 PM
In case you get landlocked by weather when you are on the island you can always try largemouth bass fishing on Shawnigan lake or other lakes around the island.

Only Smallmouth on the island but some nice ones

Evil69
01-26-2019, 10:35 AM
We only ever caught smalls, never heard of largemouth coming out of Beaver, Thetis or Langford lakes but there are rumors they are in Shawnigan though I never saw one in 15 years.

Red Bullets
01-27-2019, 01:22 AM
I heard of the largemouth in Shawnigan from a local so thought they were there. I fished the lake from shore only and caught a couple smallmouth and trout.