PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs on ice augers

220 Swift
01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
More of just a question not having issues.

How often do you change them on you 2 Stroke units? Do you wait till problems arise or change them every few years or so ?

CNP
01-27-2019, 09:05 PM
Take it out and it will tell you if it's good. Deposits on it or cracks it goes in the garbage. They are cheap so changing it out every couple years is reasonable.

ghostguy6
01-27-2019, 09:28 PM
I clean in it at the end of every season before I put the auger away, going on 6 years without replacing.

58thecat
01-28-2019, 05:42 AM
I clean in it at the end of every season before I put the auger away, going on 6 years without replacing.

This, put all seasonal equipment away serviceable, verify prior to at home and you should not have issues but if it's mechanical sooner or later it will let you down....

PlayDoh
01-28-2019, 08:07 AM
Spark Plug

1. Check spark plug every 50 operating hours.

2. Disconnect the spark plug cap, and clean any debris from.

3. Remove spark plug and replace if any of the following occur;
Pitted electrodes, burned electrodes, cracked porcelain, or deposits around electrodes.

4. After analysis, seat spark plug and tighten with spark plug•
Reinstalloriginalsparkplug,tightenadditional1/2turn.•
Installingnewsparkplug,adjustsparkpluggap.

NOTE: A loose spark plug may overheat and damage engine. An over tightened spark plug may damage threads in the cylinder head

Buy a plug and keep it with the auger. When it needs to be replaced, go buy another for next time.
I suggest getting premium gas at Shell, since it has no Ethanol. Put a buck or 2 in your car-truck first to clear the hose & pump. Then into a jerry can. I only mix a half gallon at a time, but if you use lots mix a gallon.
Keep your auger in the cold, since bringing it inside can cause condensation.

If you don’t have it still, go online and print off your augers manual. Read and follow it, and you’ll extend the life of the machine.

Personally I like to put in a new plug every couple seasons, since it doesn’t run for all that long compared to most engines. I’m sure a plug could last a decade if you took care of it and used good gas. Use Auger oil, especially make sure it’s in the carb before you store it. Ethanol + Carburetors + moisture + time = bad things.

gopher67
01-28-2019, 03:55 PM
I usually change mine every year then you have no prolem with them it all depends on how much you use it

raw outdoors
01-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Every season I take out the plug after draining fuel before storag. I hit it with a brass wire brush. Put oil in the plug hole cycle the pulcord put it back in lightly and store for summer. Winter comes around I tighten it in put the wire back on and fresh fuel. And away it goes. It’s been 12 years on the same plug. Why toss out a good plu every year. I keep a spair but have never used it.

220 Swift
01-28-2019, 06:00 PM
Plug looks a bit bronzish.
One good thing that i did find is that my plug was loose.
and another is that i have a spare purchased already.
Thanks

pikeman06
01-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Atta Boyz...service your old plug at the beginning of each ice season....Fresh fuel...you should be golden. Always have a brand new in your tackle box or glove box and you will never have issues....go fishing without backup or emergency plug and yer screwed. Murphys law. I always brush mine and give a test pull. Should have a nice snappy hot spark. Jiffy and strike master augers have a wicked ignition system. If your plug is good you will have no doubt if you give it a test fire. Never had a spark issue with a jiffy now that I think about it. 40 below and a couple primes and choke and she'll wake the dead to drill you a hole.

cdnltded
01-29-2019, 10:59 PM
the onl issues I have had with my auger is. pulling the starter handle off the rope with no back up anything. had to sheepishly ask the guy next to use to use his hand auger.
second issue just a week ago ran out of gas. forgot to check before heading on the ice. died as I was gonna drill a back up hole.
never leave town now with out a back up hand auger

Dean2
01-30-2019, 08:49 AM
the onl issues I have had with my auger is. pulling the starter handle off the rope with no back up anything. had to sheepishly ask the guy next to use to use his hand auger.
second issue just a week ago ran out of gas. forgot to check before heading on the ice. died as I was gonna drill a back up hole.

Next time that happens just tie the pull cord to a screw driver. Will work long enough to get you through the day. If you break the pull cord, a shoe lace makes a reasonable short term fix. A piece of Paracord makes a permanent fix. Carrying a one gallon can of spare mixed gas should be automatic as you don't want your auger full to the brim when you are transporting it.

As to the OPs original question, I carry a spare plug, chunk of para cord, sharp blades and a small tool pack in my tackle box. I clean the plug annually, replace it every two or three years depending on use. At 3 or 4 bucks a pop I am not really trying to make them last forever, reliability is a bigger issue to me.

PlayDoh
01-30-2019, 11:10 AM

I do the same. You can find dozens of new or barely used hand augers online for $20-$40. Well worth the price if it saves the day even once. And I’ll use it instead of the powered if the ice is under say 8in and I’m not drilling a dozen or more.
Kijiji or the Facebook market place has plenty.

lromanchuk
01-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Ive heard of guys running hotter plugs to get higher RPM's and quicker starts. Anyone tried this?

TimboLefty
01-31-2019, 07:10 AM
My old jiffy 30 gets a plug and a carb kit about every 8 years or so whether it needs I or not. Had it about 30 years.

petew
01-31-2019, 08:46 PM
Ive heard of guys running hotter plugs to get higher RPM's and quicker starts. Anyone tried this?

Hot plugs in a 2 stroke can melt the piston tops off. Not a good idea. You want a heat range that leaves a light brown coating on the plug after a good run.

Whitish is to hot, can burn pistons, dark brown to black is to cold.

Run a 2 stroke lean and it won't make power, and will burn out pistons.