PDA

View Full Version : Boiling hooks when not biting.

220 Swift
01-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Not sure if i read this on an old post here or somewhere else but do people do this when the fish are not biting ?

I dont now or in the summer but i have good days and bad days in the summer. Winter more on the bad.

Thoughts ?

SNAPFisher
01-30-2019, 07:06 PM
I'm would be surprised that the people that actually believe or do this do not accidently blow themselves up lighting the gas stove.

Habfan
01-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Do you mean, Baiting hooks when not biting ? Boiling hooks ?? :thinking-006:

Zip-in-Z
01-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Must be due to the cold ....

D.

Jamie
01-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Perhaps this is what he is referring to? https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-tips/easy-trick-to-fix-warped-soft-plastics/

Drewski Canuck
01-30-2019, 10:34 PM
If you really ARE FROM SASKATCHEWAN, you do not have to ask what to do between the times that the fish are biting and when they are not biting.

Look around you and follow the example!

When the fish are not biting, that is when fishermen in Saskatchewan take another sip! If that doesn't change things, they take a few more sips.

And so on, and so on. That is why they never realize when its a slow day of fishing.

Drewski

Red Bullets
01-31-2019, 12:31 AM
A slow day fishing is a good day to have a female fishing buddy with you in the tent.

PlayDoh
01-31-2019, 12:31 AM
The only reason I can think of is to remove scent. I have read that fish will refuse lures that have the scent of another fishes blood on it, yet I can attest to that being completely untrue.
I would think washing lures with a small amount of soap would be better at removing scent than boiling.

rem338win
01-31-2019, 01:48 AM
A slow day fishing is a good day to have a female fishing buddy with you in the tent.

Fresh sammiches! Great idea.

Wait...... I may have missed something......

Coiloil37
01-31-2019, 01:58 AM
Never boiled my lures but yes they get cleaned.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/keep_it_clean_with_tooth_paste.htm

And another that has some of the same info in it

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Scent.htm

Lots of good info on his site. A plethora of good information.

thorne
01-31-2019, 09:46 AM
I use one trick my grandfather showed me many many years ago...and it does seem to actually have some merit behind it.

I was filling up the skidoo to head out and of course being a young lad I spilled gas everywhere. And when I got to the happy fishing hole I couldn't catch a damn thing...but good old Grand Pa was slaying them...same bait, same gear. So I voiced my frustration at the apparent blatant discrimination shown to me, when he pulled a bottle out of his pocket and said.."Try This..." ok cool I thought, grand party is offer me a swig off of his Micky!!

So as I put it to my lips he yelled" Hey Moron!! You dip your bait in it...Not drink it!" He explained I probably had gas all over my hands and that sent transferred to the bait...so I dipped my bait in the gooey smelly syrup and sent it back down the hole...and Wham!! Fish on! And so it continued until I had filled my limit.

So of course I had to ask what the hell that crap was...and the response..."Cod Liver Oil"...yep worked like a damn! I still use it almost 40 years later, and it has broken many a spell when the buggers just would not bite. At the very least, it's cheap, all natural, really sticks to a bait and well, I would vouch that it works....but that's just me.

MrDave
01-31-2019, 01:50 PM
Are you glad he didn't let hammer that bottle back?

220 Swift
01-31-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm would be surprised that the people that actually believe or do this do not accidently blow themselves up lighting the gas stove.

I kind of thought the same.

For the next post i heard- Boiling not baiting.

220 Swift
01-31-2019, 08:57 PM

This i think is the best idea i have heard yet. Kind of like people who go ice fishing and dont even have an auger lol.

220 Swift
01-31-2019, 09:21 PM
If you really ARE FROM SASKATCHEWAN, you do not have to ask what to do between the times that the fish are biting and when they are not biting.

Look around you and follow the example!

When the fish are not biting, that is when fishermen in Saskatchewan take another sip! If that doesn't change things, they take a few more sips.

And so on, and so on. That is why they never realize when its a slow day of fishing.

Drewski

Ha thats how its been at times. I wont deny that.

58thecat
02-01-2019, 05:44 AM
Hmmmmm boiled hooks....with a wee bit of pure honey whiskey.....warms ya right up there it does.....:)

Weedy1
02-01-2019, 06:27 AM
I throw mine in the washing machine with a little bit if Downy. It softens up jigs real nice and gives them a nice scent. Give it a try you'll be amazed. I find the April Fresh Downy works especially well in the spring.

Redneck 7
02-01-2019, 10:21 AM
I use one trick my grandfather showed me many many years ago...and it does seem to actually have some merit behind it.

I was filling up the skidoo to head out and of course being a young lad I spilled gas everywhere. And when I got to the happy fishing hole I couldn't catch a damn thing...but good old Grand Pa was slaying them...same bait, same gear. So I voiced my frustration at the apparent blatant discrimination shown to me, when he pulled a bottle out of his pocket and said.."Try This..." ok cool I thought, grand party is offer me a swig off of his Micky!!

So as I put it to my lips he yelled" Hey Moron!! You dip your bait in it...Not drink it!" He explained I probably had gas all over my hands and that sent transferred to the bait...so I dipped my bait in the gooey smelly syrup and sent it back down the hole...and Wham!! Fish on! And so it continued until I had filled my limit.

So of course I had to ask what the hell that crap was...and the response..."Cod Liver Oil"...yep worked like a damn! I still use it almost 40 years later, and it has broken many a spell when the buggers just would not bite. At the very least, it's cheap, all natural, really sticks to a bait and well, I would vouch that it works....but that's just me.

I’ll have to try that! Can you buy it at any local grocery store? I’ll buy some today after work while I’m in town.

220 Swift
02-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Cod liver oil. Thats a newfie song ha ha.

Buy at nutters or a grocery store ?

ETOWNCANUCK
02-02-2019, 11:47 AM

To listen her complain about being cold and damp?

thorne
02-02-2019, 11:53 AM

Matter of fact.....it is a Newfie thing! You can buy it at any drug store in bottled oil form....Bottle I have now must be 6 years old...lol...been frozen in winter and stewed in hot summer ...getting pretty damn rancid at this point, but keeps working it magic!

Freedom55
02-02-2019, 02:33 PM
Dunk 'em in your Nescafe. Sorry; make that your Keurig.

Fish along
02-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Which one the Newfie song,or the cod liver oil lol.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Fish along
02-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Ive been fishing for 60 years plus,never heard of boiling hooks. Boil the kettle instead and make tea or coffee,or break out the brandy.good luck.:sHa_shakeshout: