PDA

View Full Version : Access to lower kananaskis lake

Joe Black
01-30-2019, 07:09 PM
Planning a trip this weekend. Will be cold. Have a tent, but also a 12 year old in tow. Have sleds. Am wondering what is best access by road to the lake for decent depth(60 -70 feet).

Or directions from wherever with an approximate time to pull gear out.

Thanks

Scott N
01-30-2019, 08:43 PM
You can park by the Interlakes day use area and walk onto the ice near where the dam is. You might be alarmed by the open water, but the ice was 12" last week. It's a very popular area to fish.

Joe Black
01-31-2019, 08:34 AM
thanks

Calgaryguy1977
01-31-2019, 08:36 AM
You may also want to check out the boat launch area....or canyon, as it's called.

trouty
01-31-2019, 03:02 PM
I don’t see many fishing at the launch and there is a danger sign there due to the dam drawing down could leave a gap under the ice.

Anyone fish that end of the lake?

slamilton
02-01-2019, 07:26 AM
I was near the dam last weekend and didnt have a tape measure but had to be 15" or so, I didnt see the open water but I stayed well away from it and walked up. I lost a Bull Trout of a lifetime though at the hole. I was pulling a sled and it was ok going but there was ankle deep snow at that time so could be more now.

trouty
02-01-2019, 01:39 PM
I was near the dam last weekend and didnt have a tape measure but had to be 15" or so, I didnt see the open water but I stayed well away from it and walked up. I lost a Bull Trout of a lifetime though at the hole. I was pulling a sled and it was ok going but there was ankle deep snow at that time so could be more now.

The open water is at the interlakes.