PDA

View Full Version : Private trout ponds? Kid friendly locations

PlayDoh
01-31-2019, 11:54 AM
So I’ve read about people who’ve been to one, but never paid much attention to it or looked into it.
I’m planning on taking my 7 & 8 year old to Chain Lakes (south), to get some easy small trout, but it sounds like it’s been really slow there.
Anyways, are there any of these private, pay-to-fish, ponds left? Sounds like whirling disease did a number on the stocked trout farms. I can find a few places to get trout to stock my own pond, and supplies, yet can’t find anything online about a pond.
There’s some guy near wetaskiwin apparently, and Dickson Damn which I’m looking into if it’s a better choice than Chain right now. I live near Strathmore and the town pond is stocked but I’m not even sure if you’re allowed to drill holes, or if there’s any fish in there anymore.
I’m also close to Severns Dam, but last time I was there a F&W officer told me the fishing was pretty poor. Not sure if he meant at the time, but I got the impression he’s was talking in general.
Anyways, my kids are tough to keep interested in fishing for very long and I’m thinking a private pond might be a good choice.

MrDave
01-31-2019, 01:53 PM
Never a guaranteed spot unless its a private aquarium. Dickson Dam was poor this year, but I can't say what its like now. We wrote it off early this summer. Never saw more than a few caught per evening. Too many winged predators there when the trout got dumped in.

pinelakeperch
01-31-2019, 02:15 PM
So I’ve read about people who’ve been to one, but never paid much attention to it or looked into it.
I’m planning on taking my 7 & 8 year old to Chain Lakes (south), to get some easy small trout, but it sounds like it’s been really slow there.
Anyways, are there any of these private, pay-to-fish, ponds left? Sounds like whirling disease did a number on the stocked trout farms. I can find a few places to get trout to stock my own pond, and supplies, yet can’t find anything online about a pond.
There’s some guy near wetaskiwin apparently, and Dickson Damn which I’m looking into if it’s a better choice than Chain right now. I live near Strathmore and the town pond is stocked but I’m not even sure if you’re allowed to drill holes, or if there’s any fish in there anymore.
I’m also close to Severns Dam, but last time I was there a F&W officer told me the fishing was pretty poor. Not sure if he meant at the time, but I got the impression he’s was talking in general.
Anyways, my kids are tough to keep interested in fishing for very long and I’m thinking a private pond might be a good choice.

Blood Indian is always a good choice. PM me if you have any questions.