PDA

View Full Version : trout ponds FMM

curtisb
02-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone hits the little trout ponds around town in FMM in winter? Driving by on the highway I couldn't really spot any holes.
Doing some reading in here the one to the south of town is stocked (I've seen people fish there in the summer...), and the 'Texaco Pond' out by the airport seems to be decent a few years ago. (never been)
None the less I do quite a bit of ice fishing south and north of FMM, just curious more than anything if these smaller ponds winter kill every year or if they hold and grow fish?
Drove to engstrom and there was probably 2 dozen trucks on it last weekend. I couldn't help but think, what if there are little rainbows in them little ponds, a guy could go check them in the evening or whatever...

aragor764
02-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone hits the little trout ponds around town in FMM in winter? Driving by on the highway I couldn't really spot any holes.
Doing some reading in here the one to the south of town is stocked (I've seen people fish there in the summer...), and the 'Texaco Pond' out by the airport seems to be decent a few years ago. (never been)
None the less I do quite a bit of ice fishing south and north of FMM, just curious more than anything if these smaller ponds winter kill every year or if they hold and grow fish?
Drove to engstrom and there was probably 2 dozen trucks on it last weekend. I couldn't help but think, what if there are little rainbows in them little ponds, a guy could go check them in the evening or whatever...

I asked the exact same question a few weeks ago and got nothing, tried the one by the highway yesterday with a manual auger, needless to say it was pretty useless! gonna try again next weekend with a drill adapter

mitchj
02-05-2019, 11:13 AM
I find one day you could catch a bunch and next nothing in these little ponds...I usually put on slip bobber with little jic and shrimp...Try different depths..

aragor764
02-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Went to the one by the highway yesterday, ice is over 2' deep, not a single bite. Anyone has had luck in the other two ponds over on the way to the airport?

southernman
02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
I am pretty sure that there is a release of trout in both the Texaco and Hwy 63 ponds in the spring, I have fly fished both a few times in last ten years, mostly just to get a bit of practice casting,
I doubt that fish survive over winter,

aragor764
02-11-2019, 11:50 AM
They do seem to survive at Engstrom...maybe bigger lake helps...dunno,

mitchj
03-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Allways good luck at them...