PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on an ice fishing shack

Ryry4
02-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I've got a cousin that is putting the finishing touches on an ice fishing shack and is having issues finding someone to insure it. Anyone on here have any suggestions on who to try and contact? The company he currently deals with for his house, etc. hasn't been helpful with this.

Habfan
02-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Call the people that rent shacks on Lesser Slave. Their shacks are insured.

Ryry4
02-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Call the people that rent shacks on Lesser Slave. Their shacks are insured.

Do you know have a number? Or what the business name is?

HuyFishin
02-08-2019, 11:12 AM
i wonder if they are insured because its a business, incase a customer gets hurt in the shack they rented. Like stepping on a nail ect.

SNAPFisher
02-08-2019, 12:12 PM

Google is your friend.

Lowrance Fishburn
02-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Not to be a Debbie, but I dont know if an insurance company would insure an ice shack. I know that if you put your truck through the ice the insurance company will tell you to go fly a kite. Seems like a risky proposition for an insurance company. Who valuates the worth of the shack? In theory a guy could then insure a say, $1,000 shack for $10,000 and then claim it was damaged/burned down etc and look for a settlement of 10G's? But what do I know.

abhunter8
02-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Not to be a Debbie, but I dont know if an insurance company would insure an ice shack. I know that if you put your truck through the ice the insurance company will tell you to go fly a kite. Seems like a risky proposition for an insurance company. Who valuates the worth of the shack? In theory a guy could then insure a say, $1,000 shack for $10,000 and then claim it was damaged/burned down etc and look for a settlement of 10G's? But what do I know.

You should check your insurance company. Mine covers me driving my truck on the ice if something should happen. Found out a couple years ago when I did break through, fortunately only the front wheels and I got pulled out and didn't need to make a claim. Scary!

Ryry4
02-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Google is your friend.

Thanks for the thoughtful insight.

Talking moose
02-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Some companies insure going through the ice in your truck.

Talking moose
02-08-2019, 03:01 PM
If you are a business you could probably insure it so you don’t get your butt sued off when someone slips on the ice or burns themselves on the stove. I doubt for vandalism on a private shack not on your property.

Habfan
02-08-2019, 04:38 PM

780 805 9775 I know some people that rented one and it burned to the ground ! All of their things were replaced by insurance. I don’t know if the shack was insured but the contents of the renters definitely was.

Sooner
02-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Isn't one of our posters a sponsor here with his Slave Lake ice fishing shacks? Could pm him. Can't remember his AO name.

calgarygringo
02-08-2019, 06:30 PM
In the insurance biz and would say you can buy insurance for almost anything if you dig. Talk to a good broker and they should either be able to get it thru either RV insurance or specialty. As mentioned if towing it is part of your truck but the second it is disconnected you have no insurance.

SNAPFisher
02-08-2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful insight.

Really? Your posting on an internet site and you cannot use Google? How about Google "Lesser Slave Lake Ice Shacks"

Oh look, A video by Brandon. Probably on the ice fishing shack name you are seeking:
https://youtu.be/03yrGxOem4s

Hey look, 2nd in the list of the search. Travel AB. And there is a number to call.
https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/listings/lesser-slave-lake-ice-fishing-shack-rentals-7817/

3rd down, A ...ugh... Facebook page with all the info
https://www.facebook.com/Iceshackrentals/

I could keep going but you have a computer,...right?

Point is, they are all businesses and likely have the insurance coverage. Probably what you are looking for and more. Good luck in your `search`

Dave P
02-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Give Marie a shout. She works in my office and is also my Mother In Law.

Marie Fairfield
Personal Insurance Advisor
HUB International
Office: 403-301-4792
marie.fairfield@hubinternational.com

She has helped a few people on here with odd ball stuff

Ryry4
02-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Give Marie a shout. She works in my office and is also my Mother In Law.

Marie Fairfield
Personal Insurance Advisor
HUB International
Office: 403-301-4792
marie.fairfield@hubinternational.com

She has helped a few people on here with odd ball stuff

Thank you sir, appreciate it.