PDA

View Full Version : Electric Ice Auger Review

Brandonkop
02-08-2019, 10:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ga6NNSse4

Ok so we bought this ice Auger and I am under no sort of arrangement with Rapala or Strikemaster at the time. What you see is what you get and my absolutely shocked and honest opinion of this new electric ice auger. I really was hesitant about the products and still the only thing I can see that may be an issue is the battery life. But if you have spare batteries it is like having extra gas, so drill away. At some point I'll to a max hole drill test.

SNAPFisher
02-09-2019, 07:17 AM
Agree on the auger. Was that an 8 or 10? I have the 10 and it cuts really well. So nice to put in the pull sled with no gas or mess :)

DOGFISH
02-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish

Deasoninc
02-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the review. I am looking to upgrade my gas job as I want to use my Jeep for ice fishing instead of my truck. It’s a pain to strap the gas job on the outside.

SNAPFisher
02-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Nice review Brandon, quick question about the Strikemaster. Does it always catch just before going through the ice at the bottom of the hole? I bought a 8" trophy strike and I have not had it get stuck yet in 40+ holes when breaking through. I was very impressed with how it cut right through and faster than a 43cc gas auger the last time I was out. This electric I bought is way more powerful than my old Jiffy 30. Also no gas fumes in my truck box under my tonneau cover. I have also carried it in my Cab with no concerns of odors or spills. Dogfish

No, maybe 1 in 10 holes or less even. Even if it does it stops immediately and is easy to continue like Brandon has shown.

HuyFishin
02-09-2019, 10:48 AM
that stop and pausing issue happens to me on my propane jiffy every once in a while too

DOGFISH
02-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Awesome guys, thanks. I have yet to have the Trophy Strike pause going through the ice. Not a deal breaker for sure. I will probably not go back to gas with the recent advancements in electric. I did not want to buy one of the first ones out and that's why I waited to buy.

old dog
02-09-2019, 02:59 PM
I bought my electric strikemaster last year. Just love it. No bad comments with close to two full winters of use. PS. I picked up a spare battery that I really didn’t need but for 100$ at Cabelas a month a go. Could not go wrong

cujo1969
02-09-2019, 03:31 PM
can you use the new bigger battery on the older ion augers?

old dog
02-09-2019, 03:42 PM

I don’t think so but call the fishing hole. They will know.

Mountain Guy
02-09-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.

HuyFishin
02-09-2019, 06:05 PM
I hate my jiffy propane, runs like crap in -45, what feels like hundreds of pounds after a short hike with it. Requires two hands to carry around just to drill 10 holes. Electric I can carry with one hand and carry a rod and flasher in the other.

Jigapoolza
02-10-2019, 10:24 AM

If you’re talking about the new Ion battery you can definitely use it on a old Ion auger

DOGFISH
02-10-2019, 02:32 PM
I'm still not sold on electric
Have you tested a propane?
Love my eskimo.... spare 1 lb propane costs me pennies vs a $200 spare battery.
A 1 lb propane bottle will drill more holes than I can count.

Yes I have. My son has one at the fishing shack. Nothing wrong with it other than it stinks and is loud as hell. Cuts good, starts good, not saying throw out a good auger to buy a new one. My old Jiffy was 30+ years old and tired. Was time for a new one and $500 is not bad even if it only last 15 years. I am able to carry it in the cab or store it it the house for security reasons. Each to their own. So far I do not think I will need a spare battery as it has not dropped more than one bar on the indicator during a trip. I bring the charger just in case but have not needed it yet. The guys were not sure about the electric until it drilled the holes in the shack now they are believers in the instant torque and no warm up period. :)

SNAPFisher
02-10-2019, 09:03 PM
Cut about 25 holes, 10 inch holes today in 22 inches of solid ice in -32 to -26 temps. One tick down on the battery :)
Solid, solid unit.

Now it is in the tub getting the ice melted off. No mess!

JD848
02-10-2019, 09:38 PM
I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.

Zip-in-Z
02-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Excellent thread, tks fellas for taking the effort to share your experiences. When my Model 30 decides it want's to retire, I will be investing in this 10" unit ... wish they made a 12" then I'd get one when I get home.

Stay warm fellas!

D.

DOGFISH
02-11-2019, 08:10 AM
I have an power inverter I carry in my truck,i haven't bought this auger ,but with a good inverter you should be able to recharge while out fishing.I will google an let you guys know.If someone has that setup let me know the charge up time please.

"Charges 120V Trophy Strike Lithium Ion Batteries (2.0Ah and 3.0Ah). This charger can be used with an input voltage of 100-250V and an AC frequency of 50-60Hz. Plugs into a 120V AC outlet (normal household voltage). Features an LED light that indicates the operating status and the state of charge of the battery. Charging is simple – you simply slide the battering into place until it locks in and the LED will flash green showing the battery is charging – once the battery is fully charged, the LED indicator will show a steady green light. Lithium Ion batteries are an excellent choice as they have no memory effect therefore a partial charge will not damage your battery. The charger is wall mountable for convenient storage. Charging time: 100 minutes/2.0Ah battery, 150 minutes/3.0Ah battery. 120 volts."

35 whelen
02-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.

Lowrance Fishburn
02-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Honest unbiased review here, my buddy picked up the 8" IonX and its a dream. Cuts through faster than most gas augers with no smell, no fiddling with gas or choke. the reverse feature is handy as well. we were re-drilling hoes inside our shack and no fumes, no mess. I honestly think they are awesome.

SNAPFisher
02-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Nice report what I'm waiting for is how do they drill in 4 feet of ice like in the Northern parts of our provinces where I fish, anyone have any reports heading to Manitoba in a couple weeks was told to bring a 2ft extension thanks.

Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!

CNP
02-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Jiffy is in the battery powered game now. $471 USD on sale at Cabelas.com (US site)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/JIFFY-E-LIGHTNING/2811245.uts?slotId=2

FishHunterPro
02-11-2019, 10:28 PM
That looks, sounds and cuts great! I have a perfectly fine strike master lazer pro but got a few gift cards for Christmas and bought a pistol bit to try out the electric business .

nivlac
02-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Did a lot of fishing but never have ice fished

dutch_m
02-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Aaron Weibe from Uncut Angling based out of MB uses the 10 inch strikemaster Lithium now. He had no trouble cutting through 4 ft of ice anytime of year. Thickness is not an issue with this auger.

The only concern would be a multi-day trip with no power at the end of the day. If you can't recharge then you may eventually run out with 1 or 2 batteries. But, you will drill one hell of lot of holes!!

4 ft of ice , with a 10 inch
That must be one hell'va auger , must have lots of power compared to the ION X
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,
I've been to the lakes in Winnipeg, way up north to some lakes in Saskatchewan,
Some of the toughest thickest ice going

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

This is the trouble with electric augers , we live in the cold north ,
I've had em all , gas , propane jiffy in a 10 inch , the Ion X

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

They great in the shack as no fume , if you only going to drill a few holes

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,

masssalmon
02-12-2019, 01:32 AM
I used this auger the winter of 2017 it cuts ice like butter. I cut 24 holes in two feet of ice before the battery went dead. it is light and just does a monster of a job for you.

35 whelen
02-12-2019, 08:02 AM
I have the Ion X in a 8 inch , and I can honestly say at 4 ft of ice , that is a workout on a electric auger ,

My understanding is , the strikemaster is good for 450 inches of ice to a battery , so at 4 ft of ice , that's like 10 holes befor your battery's is dead

I love the electrics , but I just bought a new Eskimo P1 Rocket in Propane as a back up auger , why
Because the electrics don't have the balls or guts to do a fishing trip with a few guys , let alone 1 guy for a couple days

But if you have deep ice , lots of holes and want a 10 inch ,in my opinion then I think propans still the best auger to own ,

Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.

Chief16
02-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Thanks that's what I'm looking for I do follow Aaron wiebe and he only usually drills a couple holes and sits in his tent I guess I'll keep my 10-inch jiffy for now.

Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.

35 whelen
02-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Uncut angling usually drills a ton of holes and finds where to set up first. I have always been under the impression that he drills a ton of holes from watching his videos.

I'm still going to stay with my Jiffy gas till I see em work maybe someone will have one on my trip to Manitoba this March and April.

Bigwoodsman
02-12-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm sold and this is the auger I will be getting. I don't have a place to store gasoline at home, and propane is to heavy. This auger would suit my style of fishing to a tee!

BW

35 whelen
02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal

SNAPFisher
02-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Your call to make. I'll use my electric exclusively until the end of this year and likely end up dumping out the gas out of my gas auger. That is my guess. Let's see if it holds true. Punched 20 holes on Saturday through 20 to 22 inches of ice (guess). Still going strong. So your 450 inches of ice doesn't seem to add up. And, I really don't care because it just simply works well and no starting to worry about - it is instant. And this was in very cold temps. I may not have 4 feet to punch through in March but I suspect it will be significant regardless and do just fine. I'll report back though.

SNAPFisher
02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Just found this on Aaron wiebe Twitter section don't know how to post the video anyway I'll be looking for one of these if I can find one with the two battery deal

There you go. Thanks for the post.

astepanuk
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
I've owned my Original model Ion for going on 4 season's now absolutely love it being a taller guy I installed the extension and leave it on as I found the auger a touch short to operate without it. I like that I'm able to quickly open old holes if I'm searching for perch or drill whatever holes I need to. I always have a spare battery in the insulated ION bag. You are SOL if it does Die so I typically adjust my tactics based on what I'm chasing.

SNAPFisher
02-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Forgot to mention as well, which is precisely why I did not even look at the Ion. I was never that impressed with what others said about it and seeing it in action did not improve my impression. If someone likes there Ion, great as well though. Maybe it works fine for them.

Mountain Guy
02-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Yes I have. My son has one at the fishing shack. Nothing wrong with it other than it stinks and is loud as hell. Cuts good, starts good, not saying throw out a good auger to buy a new one. My old Jiffy was 30+ years old and tired. Was time for a new one and $500 is not bad even if it only last 15 years. I am able to carry it in the cab or store it it the house for security reasons. Each to their own. So far I do not think I will need a spare battery as it has not dropped more than one bar on the indicator during a trip. I bring the charger just in case but have not needed it yet. The guys were not sure about the electric until it drilled the holes in the shack now they are believers in the instant torque and no warm up period. :)

I don't question the cutting ability or whether there's a need for a spare battery.
i question the life expectancy of these expensive batteries.
Ever notice your fancy cordless tools don't seem to carry a charge like they did when they were new :thinking-006:

DOGFISH
02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Yes I noticed that about fancy cordless drills that is why I store the batteries a cool place at 3/4 charge like recommended. So far my Ridgid lifetime warranty batteries are on their 6 th year and still going strong. I was willing to take a chance and if I have to replace a battery in five to ten years so be it. No big deal I think I can afford it as I do not make $800 month payments on a truck so I need to spend my money on something. $250 bucks over 5 years equals $4.16 a month. lol :thinking-006:

35 whelen
02-13-2019, 06:59 AM
Don't know about lithium but I've had a DeWalt 36 volt going on 10 years now working construction with it everyday just got to keep them charged and take care of them cuz they do cost three hundred bucks to repair replace, it would be ****y to replace a battery every 2 or 3 years

SamSteele
02-13-2019, 08:10 AM
For those of you worried about buying spare Strikemaster batteries and the cost of them, the "Greenworks" 40v 4 ah batteries look IDENTICAL to the strikemaster except they are green and half the price.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45427/40v-lithium-ion-battery

They also make a 300 watt power inverter for those looking to charge their devices, power led shack lights, etc.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45430/gw-300-watt-power-inverter

I also did a demo video with my Strikemaster 40V Lithium 8". This was my first time having it on the ice and I was impressed. My 12 year old daughter drilled a few holes with it. It's that simple.

https://youtu.be/noINLc6eD2M

SS

Mountain Guy
02-13-2019, 03:39 PM
Yes I noticed that about fancy cordless drills that is why I store the batteries a cool place at 3/4 charge like recommended. So far my Ridgid lifetime warranty okbatteries are on their 6 th year and still going strong. I was willing to take a chance and if I have to replace a battery in five to ten years so be it. No big deal I think I can afford it as I do not make $800 month payments on a truck so I need to spend my money on something. $250 bucks over 5 years equals $4.16 a month. lol :thinking-006:
And I can leave my 1 pound propane bottle at 3/4 too.. actually I can leave it at any level... and I think at any temperature... for any length of time...lol
I don't have an 800 buck truck payment either... guess for other than ice augers we have something in common

DOGFISH
02-14-2019, 05:42 AM
I live in a condo and bylaws do not allow propane to be stored onsite. So you are not able to convince me to buy a propane unit. Nothing wrong with them they just will not work for me at this time. I can't figure why you have such a hate for electric. I better not talk about my Endura 50 Minn kota electric trolling motor I have on my inflatable. Lol

astepanuk
02-14-2019, 06:25 AM
I've been going on 4 years with my 2 Original ION Batteries they have been through several -30 fishing trips. I charge them as soon as I get home and have never had an issue.

tool
02-14-2019, 10:35 AM
For those of you worried about buying spare Strikemaster batteries and the cost of them, the "Greenworks" 40v 4 ah batteries look IDENTICAL to the strikemaster except they are green and half the price.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45427/40v-lithium-ion-battery

They also make a 300 watt power inverter for those looking to charge their devices, power led shack lights, etc.

https://www.greenworkstools.ca/en/product/45430/gw-300-watt-power-inverter

I also did a demo video with my Strikemaster 40V Lithium 8". This was my first time having it on the ice and I was impressed. My 12 year old daughter drilled a few holes with it. It's that simple.

https://youtu.be/noINLc6eD2M

SS

I hope the reviews for the Auger Application are better than the ones for those Greenworks Batteries.

:(

gr8tbigkid
02-14-2019, 01:58 PM
so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery??:test: wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......:angry3:

HuyFishin
02-14-2019, 02:06 PM
so just got the 10 inch strikemaster was debating on an extra battery but at 259$ pop do i need it? i like holes? bringing my gas with me to cold lake just in case but how many holes per battery??:test: wish they were still 100$ like one of the posts on here lol 40 volt 259$ thats chunk.......:angry3:

Yea it was so cheap at cabelas last month i wanted to buy some but then i thought about it, maybe i shouldnt cuz i dont even have a strikemaster lol

SNAPFisher
02-14-2019, 02:54 PM

I haven't used my 2nd one yet. It's still in the original plastic bag out of the box. I just charge up the main one when I get home.

dutch_m
02-15-2019, 12:09 AM
I'm still going to stay with my Jiffy gas till I see em work maybe someone will have one on my trip to Manitoba this March and April.

Keep your jiffy , if your only going to own one auger
I'll be on lake Winnipeg in march , give me a shout and you can test out a Ion X , A strickmaster electric , and the fastest auger the Eskimo P1 Rocket ,

Knowing what I know now , if I was to just have 1 auger only , I would own a propane ,
Just me and my opinion

dutch_m
02-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Your call to make. I'll use my electric exclusively until the end of this year and likely end up dumping out the gas out of my gas auger. That is my guess. Let's see if it holds true. Punched 20 holes on Saturday through 20 to 22 inches of ice (guess). Still going strong. So your 450 inches of ice doesn't seem to add up. And, I really don't care because it just simply works well and no starting to worry about - it is instant. And this was in very cold temps. I may not have 4 feet to punch through in March but I suspect it will be significant regardless and do just fine. I'll report back though.

Please do when you get a place with 4 feet of ice , 😂

And if someone's is looking for a good used electric to buy , I just happen to know someone selling one , a. Strikemaster

Mountain Guy
02-15-2019, 07:32 AM
I live in a condo and bylaws do not allow propane to be stored onsite. So you are not able to convince me to buy a propane unit. Nothing wrong with them they just will not work for me at this time. I can't figure why you have such a hate for electric. I better not talk about my Endura 50 Minn kota electric trolling motor I have on my inflatable. Lol

I don't hate electric..
Like I said earlier...I prefer a cheap 1 pound spare over a 250$ spare battery.
A spare battery costing almost half of what the auger costs seems a little off to me.
And... nothing against Minn Kota....I own 2.
IF and when they they make a small boat engine that runs on 1 pound propane bottles ... and allow them on maligne, i'll be ditching the minn kota's too!! :)
Besides... isn't this a review thread? :thinking-006:

SamSteele
02-15-2019, 08:42 AM
IF and when they they make a small boat engine that runs on 1 pound propane bottles ... and allow them on maligne, i'll be ditching the minn kota's too!! :)

They already make propane powered outboards. Tohatsu makes a 5 hp and LEHR makes 2.5 hp to 25 hp. As you likely know, Tohatsu makes the 9.9 kicker motors for many of the big brands including Mercury.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

https://golehr.com/

SNAPFisher
02-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Please do when you get a place with 4 feet of ice , 😂

And if someone's is looking for a good used electric to buy , I just happen to know someone selling one , a. Strikemaster

I doubt it will be that thick this year around central AB. Most years it is not. But I'll try it out and report to those that actually care to listen :)
Of course don't take Aaron's vid at face values either :thinking-006:

dutch_m
02-15-2019, 11:11 PM
I doubt it will be that thick this year around central AB. Most years it is not. But I'll try it out and report to those that actually care to listen :)
Of course don't take Aaron's vid at face values either :thinking-006:

Ive watched all his videos, maybe I missed him drilling all day into 4 ft of ice

Look on the strikemaster video they put out , on the battery with a 10 inch it will do 70 holes in 16 inches of ice , so that would be 35 holes at 32 inches of ice
Now jump that up another 16 to make it the 48 inches at 4ft , that would be around 17 holes in ideal conditions

Now add in the super cold of Canada, not some video down on 16 inch ice with the. Sun at plus 6 outside , that's just making a video to sell em.

Real world conditions in northern Alberta , sask, lake Winnipeg is like -20 , less power

I have not drilled with a 10 inch strikemaster, but I will be in a couple weeks
I have 3 augers myself at this time

My Basicly brand new ION X electric will be for sale , anyone want it now , give me a message , they are great augers them electrics , I just like drilling lots and lots of holes , and a 1 lb bottle of propane is like $5

mooseknuckle
02-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Ive watched all his videos, maybe I missed him drilling all day into 4 ft of ice

Look on the strikemaster video they put out , on the battery with a 10 inch it will do 70 holes in 16 inches of ice , so that would be 35 holes at 32 inches of ice
Now jump that up another 16 to make it the 48 inches at 4ft , that would be around 17 holes in ideal conditions

Now add in the super cold of Canada, not some video down on 16 inch ice with the. Sun at plus 6 outside , that's just making a video to sell em.

Real world conditions in northern Alberta , sask, lake Winnipeg is like -20 , less power

My Basicly brand new ION X electric will be for sale , anyone want it now , give me a message , they are great augers them electrics , I just like drilling lots and lots of holes , and a 1 lb bottle of propane is like $5

I have 118 1lb propane bottles ill trade you for the ion.

SNAPFisher
02-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Then you haven't watched all this videos. Everyone that uses mine for a day with me is wishing they had one by the end of it. If you bought a crappy Ion, no wonder. If your using that as the "stick" to compare to others. I was never impressed by them. As well, I would challenge your math on holes but I see that wouldn't help this discussion.

Stick to what you have. It is working for you.

dutch_m
02-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Then you haven't watched all this videos. Everyone that uses mine for a day with me is wishing they had one by the end of it. If you bought a crappy Ion, no wonder. If your using that as the "stick" to compare to others. I was never impressed by them. As well, I would challenge your math on holes but I see that wouldn't help this discussion.

Stick to what you have. It is working for you.

Bla bla bla
Everyone that uses mine wishes they have one , your so full of **** I can smell it up here in northern Alberta

As for Challenge your math , 😂
Go drill some holes in 4 ft of ice and see if your strikemaster will last all day long like you stated , no excuses or bull**** that you can't find the ice ,

You only have to ask enough guides who make a living drilling holes in the ice up north or on lake Winnipeg , why they not running electric augers ,

Your limited to how many holes you can drill and they just don't got the power to last or drill all day long

Great augers for ice that is under 2 feet thick , all electric augers , none are better then the other , each has pros and cons
Strikemaster all made of plastic , handles and everything , throw that in the back of your truck enough in -30 and see what happens to it , shatters ,

I also own a strikemaster electric right now In a 8 inch ,

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero 😂

SNAPFisher
02-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Bla bla bla
Everyone that uses mine wishes they have one , your so full of **** I can smell it up here in northern Alberta

As for Challenge your math , ��
Go drill some holes in 4 ft of ice and see if your strikemaster will last all day long like you stated , no excuses or bull**** that you can't find the ice ,

You only have to ask enough guides who make a living drilling holes in the ice up north or on lake Winnipeg , why they not running electric augers ,

Your limited to how many holes you can drill and they just don't got the power to last or drill all day long

Great augers for ice that is under 2 feet thick , all electric augers , none are better then the other , each has pros and cons
Strikemaster all made of plastic , handles and everything , throw that in the back of your truck enough in -30 and see what happens to it , shatters ,

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero ��

Yeah, Eskimo P1 Rocket, nice plastic handle for the pull cord. Can't wait for you to break that or the pull cord which Eskimos are famous for. Have fun with that. Oh and the great plastic casing around the propane bottle... Watch chucking that into the back of your warm SUV :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Your auger works for you and mine is working for me. Leave it at that, Northern hero.

35 whelen
02-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Wow this site is just getting too much,
Instead of everyone arguing about their augers why don't you all meet up and wabamun and do a test on your augers there should be a good to two and a half feet of ice out there by now then we can get a real reading on how these things work.

old dog
02-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Wow this site is just getting too much,
Instead of everyone arguing about their augers why don't you all meet up and wabamun and do a test on your augers there should be a good to two and a half feet of ice out there by now then we can get a real reading on how these things work.

x2

Bigwoodsman
02-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Bla bla bla

As for Challenge your math , 😂

Putting it in the back of your heated SUV and driving to a lake and drilling in 20 inches of ice is a joke , you best go watch some more videos of your hero 😂

You obviously have an issue with electric power. So use what ever auger you choose.

Myself I will never have a gas or propane powered auger. I don’t fish the areas you do so I have no need. If I drill 6 holes a day I’ve drilled more than enough for my needs.

So take your attitude, head out to your lakes with 4 feet of ice and drill all the ice holes you want to.

BW

English Setter
02-16-2019, 12:19 PM
Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spurly
02-16-2019, 12:51 PM
I have the Ion Auger, and will never go back to gas ,or bother with propane augers. I don’t fish in extreme cold, and have never had to drill much more than 2 ft. Of ice. It suits my needs very well. Others, may have different needs, for an auger. Buy what suits your needs, or purpose, they all work well.Not sure why people need to turn every thread into an argument.

SNAPFisher
02-16-2019, 04:17 PM
Can we get back on the rails please. I have been following from the beginning and for my own reasons would like to go electric and probably between ion x and strikemaster 40V. Just about pulled the trigger at Cabela’s sale yesterday when I saw all the plastic on the strikemaster. Let’s say it concerns me. I have used my friends ion x this season up to 20” of ice. Will it really bog down with another foot of ice? Guess I could wait and see to the end of season how it works out. Also when does fishin hole have their spring sale?

I recommend the SM Lithium. I'm not to gentle with mine in the back of the truck and in -30 and lower temps. No issues. How does your friend's Ion handle 20 inches?

I'm not worried about it for the SM Lithium. I'll be using it to the end of March and I'm sure I will get to at least 30 inches of ice this year. Calling, Pigeon, Sylvan, etc. I'll report back at the end of the season.

35 whelen
02-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks

SNAPFisher
02-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Jay Siemens just did a product review on this auger If someone knows how to get that video on here thanks

Here you go:

https://youtu.be/siyfl58LtyY

Cool vid! :)

SNAPFisher
02-16-2019, 04:53 PM

Just in case you care about speed when making your choice:

https://youtu.be/gPX9HHjv5Xc

35 whelen
02-16-2019, 05:11 PM
Here you go:

Thanks

English Setter
02-16-2019, 06:21 PM
No doubt it’s fast

dutch_m
02-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Here you go:

Interesting ,
Pretty well sums it all up , don't it ,
16 inches of ice , full charge battery , did 61 holes and battery dead , had enough to do one more hole , so 62
62 x16 of solid ice is 992 ft of ice

992 ft , now take ice at 4 ft or 48 inches =20 holes , let's not forget the bigger point , that his was a 8 inch auger, not a 10 inch , would be even less holes with a 10 , that's why I said 17 holes

That's a long long way from being able to drill all day , now that's the truth

Good to see the other video of which is the fastest in the electric world , I already knew the strikemaster was faster , be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I'll see if I can find the video of the plastic handle busting on the strikemaster in the cold , the ION X handle is steel 😋

No perfect auger for all situations, get yourself a couple

CNP
02-16-2019, 08:04 PM
be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I was at the Cabelas in Kalispell last Thu and passed up on a Jiffy electric 10" on sale for $495 US. When I came back through today the sale was off. I'll wait till next season.

dutch_m
02-16-2019, 08:11 PM
I was at the Cabelas in Kalispell last Thu and passed up on a Jiffy electric 10" on sale for $495 US. When I came back through today the sale was off. I'll wait till next season.

What was the regular price on it , on sale at $495 US is still going to be over $650 Canadian , time you get taxes and that if you get lucky and slip across the border with no dutys on it

I would say by next year , enough guys will have them and will be lots of videos out on how good or bad they are , compared to the others for speed and battery life

I've always like jiffys , my first ever propane was a jiffy

CNP
02-16-2019, 08:35 PM
What was the regular price on it , on sale at $495 US is still going to be over $650 Canadian , time you get taxes and that if you get lucky and slip across the border with no dutys on it

I would say by next year , enough guys will have them and will be lots of videos out on how good or bad they are , compared to the others for speed and battery life

I've always like jiffys , my first ever propane was a jiffy

$625 US if I recall was the reg price. I was in MT for a few days of fishing, I could have brought it back duty/tax free (https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-to-canada/personal-exemptions-mini-guide).

Mackinaw
02-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Interesting ,
16 inches of ice , full charge battery , did 61 holes and battery dead , had enough to do one more hole , so 62

992 ft , now take ice at 4 ft or 48 inches =20 holes , let's not forget the bigger point , that his was a 8 inch auger, not a 10 inch , would be even less holes with a 10 , that's why I said 17 holes

Good to see the other video of which is the fastest in the electric world , I already knew the strikemaster was faster , be nice to see just how good the new jiffy electric is

I'll see if I can find the video of the plastic handle busting on the strikemaster in the cold , the ION X handle is steel 😋

I have a jiffy gas a jiffy electric an Eski. gas and a new ION they all suck no matter what you do they won't drill a hole themselves. I don't understand why you need to drill a hundred holes anyway spend more time learning about where and what you fish and less time raving and you only need a half a doz. holes .....DRILL ON!!!!!!! LOL

mack

HuyFishin
02-16-2019, 10:44 PM
I don't need to drill 100 holes to find fish

SNAPFisher
02-17-2019, 05:03 AM
Interesting ,

I thought you might chime back in. The reason I said your math is suspect. Just scroll up to what you wrote earlier:

:) Just a reminder for you.

I don't know how many holes I'll drill today but I doubt I'll get to the 2nd tick on the battery. Working great for me! And less and less I think I'll need my backup auger.

FishHunterPro
02-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Never have seen the new strikemaster electric but if the handles are made of the same on the strikemaster lazer pro then they are very durable. Even in really cold weather they hold up just fine. Maybe if you took a sledge hammer to it in -30 it would break just like every other auger but mines held up since 2010.

dgl1948
02-17-2019, 07:09 AM
Interesting ,

How many holes do you drill in 4 foot ice in a day for fishing.

pikeslayer22
02-17-2019, 08:10 AM
I have an ION and it is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned

Habfan
02-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Interesting ,

How did you get 16 inches of ice when he said 18 ? Then added at the end another 2 inches of hard pack, or what some call white ice, which makes 20”. :thinking-006:

English Setter
02-17-2019, 12:57 PM
I have an ION and it is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned

Can you explain why you think that?

Mountain Guy
02-17-2019, 07:10 PM
They already make propane powered outboards. Tohatsu makes a 5 hp and LEHR makes 2.5 hp to 25 hp. As you likely know, Tohatsu makes the 9.9 kicker motors for many of the big brands including Mercury.

https://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/5_4st_lpg.html

https://golehr.com/
Can I use them on maligne lk?

dutch_m
02-17-2019, 09:24 PM
How many holes do you drill in 4 foot ice in a day for fishing.

First , I try not to drill in 4 ft of ice , I was reply to the comment or bull**** story about the strikemaster in a 10 inch cut through 4 ft of ice all day long

How many hole do will drill in a day , I never really pay much attention to it , 2 years ago on fern lake we did over 50 one day

When I make the trip to Lake Winnipeg , this year with 6 guys , a electric is no good on that thick of ice and that cold , battery is dead befor noon , and if you run around to chase the pods of big greenbacks , you will easy drill over 50 holes in a day

Like I said , they good in a hub or shack , they good if the ice is not to thick. , they good if you. Don't have to drill allot of holes , or you can get around that with more battery's ,
I Bought into all the hype on electric , not anymore as I've used them all ,

Reasons why I have a few augers ,

My original point was , and still is
if I was to only have 1 auger ,it would not be a electric, it would be propane , just my opinion

As to who makes the better electric auger , who cares , who cares which is faster , black or green , or even yellow now with jiffy , I've seen a orange one ,

Do your homework and buy whatever makes you happy , it's your money 💰

SamSteele
02-18-2019, 01:34 AM

Not a clue. Don’t fish there and don’t know the regs for it. Just saying that they are available.

SNAPFisher
02-18-2019, 05:49 AM

That is a great question. I'm going to assume no as they likely list electric only like most lakes do. Exception being Minnewanka. Though a quick search and I cannot find anything specific yet.

I would call F&W office for that area. I once called them about my bow mount electric on my 16.5 footer and leaving the gas up. He said technically that I was okay but I might get some "attention" from anglers and even the warden. In the end I didn't as I thought it was not worth it.

SNAPFisher
02-18-2019, 06:02 AM
First , I try not to drill in 4 ft of ice , I was reply to the comment or bull**** story about the strikemaster in a 10 inch cut through 4 ft of ice all day long

Like I said , they good in a hub or shack , they good if the ice is not to thick. , they good if you. Don't have to drill allot of holes , or you can get around that with more battery's

Wrong x 2. Simply a comment that Aaron is using it in Manitoba at all times of year and has made the switch. One show he is using it at Wekusko on April 30th. Of course you interpret it in your own "special" way.

I'm using mine through this cold snap. I through it in the back of my truck like I always did my on my gas auger. Aaron did a show in -37C using it. Just keep the battery warm. Not exactly hard to figure that out...
Point is, an example of someone that is using it in pretty extreme conditions with no issues.

Then you quote math that clearly is not even close to reality. The only BS being slung here is begin done by you.

To the rest that are interested, I drilled 14 holes yesterday through 21 inches of ice. 1 tick down only on the battery and no bogging down yet. Working just fine!

Mountain Guy
02-18-2019, 08:11 AM
Not a clue. Don’t fish there and don’t know the regs for it. Just saying that they are available.

I believe the answer is no... as to my point that if it was allowed I'd be going propane over electric.
Augers, engines, heaters.... pretty much anything that is available in both my choice would be propane.

Dark Wing
02-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Cut about 25 holes, 10 inch holes today in 22 inches of solid ice in -32 to -26 temps. One tick down on the battery :)
Solid, solid unit.

Now it is in the tub getting the ice melted off. No mess!

I put my Ion in a five gallon pale by the heat register to melt the ice off .

Best ice fishing investment I've ever made . I match my Ion with a Marcum flasher and start drilling holes and jigging , I call it trolling on the ice .

CNP
02-18-2019, 10:48 AM
I don't need to drill 100 holes to find fish

I put my Ion in a five gallon pale by the heat register to melt the ice off .

Best ice fishing investment I've ever made . I match my Ion with a Marcum flasher and start drilling holes and jigging , I call it trolling on the ice .

I had drilled 100+ holes on a reservoir that I never fished in last month. There was no one else on the ice and no holes visible from previous anglers. Just started drilling and fishing. The water was not clear (couldn't see the bottom in 6 fow), lots of weeds and shallow is not something where a flasher would be useful, fishing for jackfish, hardwater trolling is what we were doing:). We caught lots of jacks that day.

FishHunterPro
02-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Gonna try out my new rig in a couple days at Winefred for fun. Don’t worry I’m bringing my gas auger to I just want to try it out. We have over 30+ inches at gregoire lake last weekend so I’m not expecting to get to many holes at Winefred.

https://i.postimg.cc/K8BrFxbq/CD6506-C4-6550-425-D-816-D-712-A84-A63-BD9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/686Gfsyn)

JohninAB
02-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Gonna try out my new rig in a couple days at Winefred for fun. Don’t worry I’m bringing my gas auger to I just want to try it out. We have over 30+ inches at gregoire lake last weekend so I’m not expecting to get to many holes at Winefred.

https://i.postimg.cc/K8BrFxbq/CD6506-C4-6550-425-D-816-D-712-A84-A63-BD9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/686Gfsyn)

That is the only electric setup I be interested in. Use the Milwaukee cordless mixer with a 12 amp hour battery and be set. Way lighter, more run time and secondary use for the mixer or drill. Total win.

CNP
02-18-2019, 04:24 PM
That is the only electric setup I be interested in. Use the Milwaukee cordless mixer with a 12 amp hour battery and be set. Way lighter, more run time and secondary use for the mixer or drill. Total win.

Double take on the price of that battery (https://www.blackrocktools.com/milwaukee-m18-redlithium-high-output-hd12-0-battery-pack-48-11-1812.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzKnjBRDPARIsAKxfTRATfRl2Pi _UA5934y_VKFVglGGDeR0UwAqyP5MB_0l3wcVnZ17k8qcaAnBu EALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!3645!3!296203357807!b!!g!!&ef_id=WUKwAAAAAHijKBEC:20190218232248:s).

JohninAB
02-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Can use it in other Milwaukee tools I own so no biggie. Check out the price on an Ion battery

SNAPFisher
02-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Well, I don't need to wait until March. I found a spot today at 30 inches of good ice plus 5 inches of white ice. SM Lithium cut through it with no hesitation.

https://i.postimg.cc/wvJfGtCh/IMG-0524.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DJvPWzyZ)

Bye bye gas auger :)

CNP
02-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Strikemaster is currently on sale at Cabelas.ca for $637 and the Fishnhole has the best sale price for the Ion X at $699. Couldn't wait till next year so I have a green one coming in the mail.

Habfan
02-18-2019, 08:05 PM
Strikemaster is currently on sale at Cabelas.ca for $637 and the Fishnhole has the best sale price for the Ion X at $699. Couldn't wait till next year so I have a green one coming in the mail.

Good deal !

Kyle
02-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Wrong x 2. Simply a comment that Aaron is using it in Manitoba at all times of year and has made the switch. One show he is using it at Wekusko on April 30th. Of course you interpret it in your own "special" way.

I'm using mine through this cold snap. I through it in the back of my truck like I always did my on my gas auger. Aaron did a show in -37C using it. Just keep the battery warm. Not exactly hard to figure that out...

I just filmed a show with Aaron and got to use his strikemaster electric in this cold weather. I was surprised, keep the batteries warm and in heated tent/inside bibs and it worked great in -35. Roughly 40 holes through 2 feet of ice and that wasn't really conserving the batteries in the cold (could have kept them warmer at certain times)
When my gas auger finally packs it up, an electric will definitely be an option.

dutch_m
02-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Double take on the price of that battery (https://www.blackrocktools.com/milwaukee-m18-redlithium-high-output-hd12-0-battery-pack-48-11-1812.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzKnjBRDPARIsAKxfTRATfRl2Pi _UA5934y_VKFVglGGDeR0UwAqyP5MB_0l3wcVnZ17k8qcaAnBu EALw_wcB&s_kwcid=AL!3645!3!296203357807!b!!g!!&ef_id=WUKwAAAAAHijKBEC:20190218232248:s).

Yikes , $349 Canadian bucks ,
That's more then a ION or a strikemaster battery ,

DOGFISH
02-19-2019, 07:56 AM
"Do your homework and buy whatever makes you happy , it's your money 💰" Posted by dutch m

Well said dutch m

Mackinaw
02-24-2019, 09:43 PM

Drilled 18 holes through 30" of ice today with ION electric far more holes then I ever usually drill.

mack

madatter
02-25-2019, 10:47 AM
My Eskimo was ****ing me off so I went and ordered an Ion X 10" for 729 at the Fishing Hole.
Dont drill a 100 holes a day.
Dont care if I need to buy a new battery in 5 years.
Will enjoy the lighter weight when Im walking across a lake

CNP
02-25-2019, 11:08 AM
My Eskimo was ****ing me off so I went and ordered an Ion X 10" for 729 at the Fishing Hole.
Dont drill a 100 holes a day.
Dont care if I need to buy a new battery in 5 years.
Will enjoy the lighter weight when Im walking across a lake

ION is made by Eskimo:)

madatter
02-25-2019, 03:14 PM
ION is made by Eskimo:)

Actually they are under the Ardisan name....brothers per say

As a matter of fact the 10" blades from my Z71 look identical to the Ion blades,except alot cheaper.
Since I have both I will try them.
I dont have an issue with Eskimo.....except maybe too much plastic,which doesnt like being dropped in -20C:sign0176:
And I guess I like using different things,and dont mind spending the money.
The electric has intriqued me...

Habfan
02-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Actually they are under the Ardisan name....brothers per say

As a matter of fact the 10" blades from my Z71 look identical to the Ion blades,except alot cheaper.
Since I have both I will try them.
I dont have an issue with Eskimo.....except maybe too much plastic,which doesnt like being dropped in -20C:sign0176:
And I guess I like using different things,and dont mind spending the money.
The electric has intriqued me...

I remember researching this information a few years back and found that the Ion is made by Eskimo. I saw the Ardison company as well but found out that Eskimo wanted to up its game with the Ion so kept it off of their site. Could be brothers, as you said.

FishHunterPro
02-25-2019, 07:09 PM
I remember researching this information a few years back and found that the Ion is made by Eskimo. I saw the Ardison company as well but found out that Eskimo wanted to up its game with the Ion so kept it off of their site. Could be brothers, as you said.

I never knew any of this but my Eskimo pistol bit warranty is from Ardison.

CNP
02-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Picked up the ION X at the PO this aft and went fishin'. It was a cold day, only drilled 5 holes. A couple holes to check water depth on a new spot and three more inside the tent. It surpasses my expectations in all points, except the price point lol. I didn't take the included extension with me and almost ran out of flyte just before breaking through the bottom. Liking the reverse for sending all the slush down the hole, this is especially good in a tent or shack. Left the auger outside and took the battery inside to keep it warm and almost kicked it down a hole...……...OMG.

old dog
02-27-2019, 01:35 PM
So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.

madatter
02-27-2019, 04:27 PM
So my good friend bought a ION a few weeks ago and sold his Eskimo Z71. He says it’s slower than his Eskimo but way easier to manage. He said his Eskimo blades aren’t quite the same, the hole spacing is not quite the same.

Thanks for info
I'll still see how my Z71 blades line up sometime.

madatter
02-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Got out with the Ion X this am.
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
I seem to need to put a fair bit of pressure on it to cut,which is odd.
Play around with it a bit.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me

SNAPFisher
02-28-2019, 12:13 PM
Few observations
Love not pulling.
Ion is definitely slower than the Z71,and seems to be having an issue part way thru hole...and doesnt want to cut.
20 holes or so and still 3 bars on battery...so battery life will not be an issue for me

Thanks for the update. That slowing issue is why I picked up a Strikemaster over the Ion. It was noticeable in auger wars as well. I can say that I do not have that issue with SM. Even in 30 inches of ice there was no hesitation. Either way, both of the advantage of instant power :)

SNAPFisher
03-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Cabelas has a deal on right now for the SM 8 inch:

https://i.postimg.cc/zGQVsLt0/IMG-0532.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mPQLMrGH)

honker_clonker
03-01-2019, 01:12 PM
In the last in depth outdoors video on laketrout, the boys had a strikemaster with a flight that looked somewhat similar to a K drill. They might be coming out with a composite shaft version next year which will make it even lighter.

old dog
03-01-2019, 02:04 PM
The one thing I do like about my strikemaster is that the auger and blades r the same as my strikemaster gas. Makes a great combo if for some reason the battery did die on me or I couldn’t get the gas engine to run. Lol.

muzzy
03-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Few observations
Love not pulling.

Heads up on the pushing hard. I was watching some utube video comparisons last week and reviewer was saying that pushing hard can really foul up the augers quickly and that they were designed for just light downward pressure.
For those waiting for their gas augers to conk out before buying an electric you better hope its not like my old Jiffy, 37 yrs and still starts on second pull and runs like a charm... Im still waiting...

madatter
03-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Cabelas has a deal on right now for the SM 8 inch:

https://i.postimg.cc/zGQVsLt0/IMG-0532.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mPQLMrGH)

Ive been fishing with a 10" auger for 25 years.....Why I was set on a 10".
Otherwise I would have bought this

old dog
03-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Heads up on the pushing hard. I was watching some utube video comparisons last week and reviewer was saying that pushing hard can really foul up the augers quickly and that they were designed for just light downward pressure.
For those waiting for their gas augers to conk out before buying an electric you better hope its not like my old Jiffy, 37 yrs and still starts on second pull and runs like a charm... Im still waiting...

Hard to kill those old jiffies. They r a great machine. I always wondered why my blades would dull up and/ warp slightly. A good friend that was sponsored by jiffy told me this happens when u apply pressure. I hardly replace a set of blades any more

calgarygringo
03-01-2019, 05:24 PM
They are. If you look around there are pics and videos of it in action. There is a thread over on the Ice Shanty forums about it if you are on there.

In the last in depth outdoors video on laketrout, the boys had a strikemaster with a flight that looked somewhat similar to a K drill. They might be coming out with a composite shaft version next year which will make it even lighter.

DOGFISH
03-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the update. That slowing issue is why I picked up a Strikemaster over the Ion. It was noticeable in auger wars as well. I can say that I do not have that issue with SM. Even in 30 inches of ice there was no hesitation. Either way, both of the advantage of instant power :)

Same with the Trophy Strike 120V, no hesitation or pause the whole way down. I almost feel like I need to hold it back it cuts so fast and effortlessly. Still trying to get used to it as I had a Jiffy 30 for 30+ years and it is very different. Dogfish

SNAPFisher
03-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Same with the Trophy Strike 120V, no hesitation or pause the whole way down. I almost feel like I need to hold it back it cuts so fast and effortlessly. Still trying to get used to it as I had a Jiffy 30 for 30+ years and it is very different. Dogfish

Nice! This is crazy. Check it out:
https://youtu.be/EvA4VxZMvNI

Brandonkop
03-02-2019, 08:32 PM
Wow forgot about where o posted this one. Looks like it was a good conversation starter for once. I took the auger out in bc where ice ranges from 8 to 14 inch think and fished three lakes one day. Drilled 50 holes and only one light down on the first battery. Very happy with this thing. Headed to Cascade lake tomorrow and will put it to the test down there some more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

CanadianFisherman
03-02-2019, 10:52 PM
I'm hoping to find one of these on sale once hard water season ends. The weight and ability to just push a button and be drilling is nice. Also for when fishing the odd city pond, wouldn't draw near as much attention as the gas ones. When I bought it I swore I'd never hand drill again, so gave both hand augers away haha

SNAPFisher
03-03-2019, 05:15 AM
Wow forgot about where o posted this one. Looks like it was a good conversation starter for once. I took the auger out in bc where ice ranges from 8 to 14 inch think and fished three lakes one day. Drilled 50 holes and only one light down on the first battery. Very happy with this thing. Headed to Cascade lake tomorrow and will put it to the test down there some more.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

No kidding :)

At least your heading South with it. I hear from "reputable" sources on here, that ice up North is instantly 4 feet thick come Dec 1 and electric augers can only cut 10 holes and usually break in your warm SUV. Must be something in the air up North? Sounds like only a job a cheap propane auger can handle ... :lol:

SamSteele
03-03-2019, 09:34 AM
I'm hoping to find one of these on sale once hard water season ends. The weight and ability to just push a button and be drilling is nice. Also for when fishing the odd city pond, wouldn't draw near as much attention as the gas ones. When I bought it I swore I'd never hand drill again, so gave both hand augers away haha

The 8” Strikemaster is on sale at Cabelas for $637 right now. Regular $749.

CanadianFisherman
03-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Nice thanks, checking it out!

A.DENG
03-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Went out to the lake last weekend, noticed that there is in need of a extension for my strikemaster electric auger.

was wondering if anyone has a place for the extension in mind.

Thx.

SamSteele
03-13-2019, 06:27 AM
I was at Pigeon last weekend and the ice was 32-34 inches thick. I drilled 40 holes with my Strikemaster 40V and the battery showed 1/4 bars left. That is a minimum of 1280 inches of ice. The auger still was drilling fine, but I’m not sure I would have got 10 more holes to hit the 1600 inches they advertise. It would have been close though.

Hope that info is helpful for anyone contemplating one.

SS

SNAPFisher
03-13-2019, 12:18 PM
I was at Pigeon last weekend and the ice was 32-34 inches thick. I drilled 40 holes with my Strikemaster 40V and the battery showed 1/4 bars left. That is a minimum of 1280 inches of ice. The auger still was drilling fine, but I’m not sure I would have got 10 more holes to hit the 1600 inches they advertise. It would have been close though.

Hope that info is helpful for anyone contemplating one.

SS

Pffft... not even close to a 100 holes or 4 feet of ice. :lol:

SNAPFisher
04-01-2019, 07:42 AM
Used the strike master last weekend. Finally drained a battery. 35 holes and about 35 inches of ice. Slushy too. Yep, no need for gas anymore.

About 3 groups came over to check out the auger and some tried it. No one could believe how good it cut and at 10 inches. There will be more purchased for sure by some of those groups :)

thorne
04-01-2019, 06:14 PM
7 years ago I was completely fed up with auger issues.So I went out and dropped over a grand to buy a Sthil. Figured to hell with it as it will pay for itself over my life time as it will last my lifetime! so far, as expected it has operated flawless over thousands of holes, so thats cool, but......I would now, if I had to, go electric for sure as they have finally made it to the point where gas seems barberic...lol! maybe time to sell my STHIL POST HOLE AUGER, and buy an electric.....:thinking-006:

Jigger
04-02-2019, 12:37 AM
Buddies electric quit after drilling 15 holes through 3ft of ice on a -30 day. Not to mention how much that thing moves around when drilling and the weight needed to put on it, i was not impressed. I've had a 35+ year old jiffy that hasn't missed a beat 5$ of gas a year and it drills hundreds of holes. Good thing i have 2 old jiffys, they'll out live me im sure.

calgarygringo
04-02-2019, 06:10 AM
Never put weight on it. Blades are probably done not an auger issue. Gas will do the same if dull. And no dont stand on a gas auger to put weight on it either.

Buddies electric quit after drilling 15 holes through 3ft of ice on a -30 day. Not to mention how much that thing moves around when drilling and the weight needed to put on it, i was not impressed. I've had a 35+ year old jiffy that hasn't missed a beat 5$ of gas a year and it drills hundreds of holes. Good thing i have 2 old jiffys, they'll out live me im sure.

old dog
04-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Never put pressure on any auger like stated (gas or electric). If the auger is kicking up small chips vs nice big ones, it’s time to changes blades. But can’t wait for open water

SamSteele
04-02-2019, 07:51 AM

It would be helpful to post the brand you were using. There are quite a few electric options and some are better than others. I know the Eskimo units for electric drills don't have a centering point and they have a reputation for walking on the ice. I drilled 52 holes through 24 inches of ice in -30 before my battery was drained on my Strikemaster. Those temps do a number on any batteries it seems.

SNAPFisher
04-02-2019, 10:16 AM
It’s funny. Brought the gas auger along as backup with extension. All it did was leak gas and stink up the back of the truck. Came within inches of needing it but the Stikemaster did it all. That proves to me it is the only auger needed for AB since it made it all season and never slowed down once.