PDA

View Full Version : Auger blade sharpening

whitetail Junkie
02-13-2019, 12:38 PM
Anyone ever try sharpening your own auger blades instead of replacing them? Got an old 6” hand auger with A couple sets of old blades laying around...just wondering if they are worth sharpening or should I garbage them?

tool
02-13-2019, 12:44 PM
The guy in town here charges $10/set to sharpen them I think so I woudn't garbage them unless they are badly dammaged.

You can sharpen them yourself, YouTube is a good resource, I tried to sharpen some with limited success.
I think Jiffy has a tool or a jig for touching their blades up?

whitetail Junkie
02-13-2019, 12:55 PM
The guy in town here charges $10/set to sharpen them I think so I woudn't garbage them unless they are badly dammaged.

You can sharpen them yourself, YouTube is a good resource, I tried to sharpen some with limited success.
I think Jiffy has a tool or a jig for touching their blades up?

I see...$10 ain’t bad compared to $38.00 for a new set...there is a awesome lawn mower blade sharpener guy in my town...maybe this spring I’ll see what he says and bring all my blades to him...thanks.

PlayDoh
02-13-2019, 12:57 PM
There’s quite a few post on the topic already discussed. A quick search will net you all you need to know.
You can buy the sharpener, or use a steele to straighten the edge. If you do try sharpening, go very light, and avoid the flat side. The edge isn’t a simple chisel point. If you have a buffing wheel you can use, I’d try that before a stone.
Or if some guy only charges $10, that’s about as cheap as it gets. A spare set of blades isn’t a bad idea.

lromanchuk
02-13-2019, 02:53 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=358017

Lots of good info here.