PDA

View Full Version : Big fish stories..

Winchester70
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
You know...I enjoy fishing and I've done a lot of it over the years but one thing I've never done is hook into a really really braging size fish.Except for the one that got away..:lol:

Anyhoo here's a list of some of my best..

Pike...16.5 lbs
Brown trout..13 lbs 4oz
Walleye...9.5 lbs
Rainbow...9 lbs
Carp...20 lbs (ont.)
Muskie..13 lbs (ont)
Bass.....4.5 lbs (ont)

I know..... my numbers suck:o

But I sure would like to read some fishing tales..come on guys pony up and let's hear some stories of the big one that didn't get away..:D

-NDN-
05-26-2007, 06:44 AM
never really one for recording my fish sizes, just like to get out there and enjoy the day. I am trying to catch a 60 lbs + Sturgeon out of the North Saskatchewan River this year, and I think it might be done in a new hole I found downstream of Fort Saskatchewan.

Every year walleye break the 10 pound mark downstream of Edmonton, and I am personally looking forward to August 2007 to get down there on the NSR. They keep getting bigger and bigger.

-NDN-

Scott N
05-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't have a lot of big fish to brag about, but I did catch a 8.3 pound rainbow last weekend at Beaver Mines Lake. She was one of the brood stock fish that F & W release every year, but I was surprised to catch a fish that big out of Beaver Mines when most fish in there are 12" or less.

My fishing buddy and I also had a great day on Keho Lake a few years ago, catching about 25 pike, none of which were smaller than about 7 pounds, with at least 5 fishing going between 15 to 21 pounds. What an awesome day that was!

I've also had a few good days at Lower Kananaskis Lake, catching a few bull trout pushing 28".

Kanonfodder
05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
A number of years back a buddie and I went down to Mazatlan during the American Spring Break period ( you all can figure out why ). Anyways one day we were lieing around the pool drinkn buckets of beer ( literally had a stack of empty buckets) and I mentioned to my pal that I would have loved to go Marlin fishing and if we get down here again we should include it. A couple next to us overhears and the guy says that he and his dad and uncle are going out in the am and whynot join them as the price is for the boat and numbers don't matter. So early am finds us hungover but on time ( loaded with zero food but lots of gatorade). Out we go on this old tub ( sidenote never saw a lifejacket or any other safety equipment ) went out into the big ole ocean and was just kinda enjoying this first time experience when I notice little splashes every once and awhile and ask my new freinds what it's from and they point to the Capt and mate up top as they toss their empty Corona bottle away....weird....kinda scary too....about 5 min later we hear a shout and look ahead and see the ocean is just frothing, as we get closer we move into a HUGE school of feeding dolphin so close you could lean over and touch them almost. Capt explains thru out new freinds that we should do well today and we start getting ready.....about 30 min later I get a hit and grab the rod and yank for my life, i sit into the chair ( which by no means is a proper fighting chair, it wasn't even bolted down) and proceed to drag in my fishy. I wasn't sure what I had hooked until just like on tv the marlin broke the water thrashing away. All the time the mate was holding my line in his gloved hand, but to be honest he really didnt give much advice to me and let me fight it my way..... any ways after a lengthy struggle ( it seemed like hours but was just over 20 min ) I finally got my Marlin gaffed and in the boat. It was just over 148 pounds and was probably one of the best experiences of my life....the Capt ( speakn thru our freinds as he had no Englis', came down and rubbed my head and said he was impressed how well I did :D I asked why the mate held my line and he explained it was a kevlar type glove and because the jellyfish were so bad this year he cleaned the line as i reeled so as the spray form the water and jelly fish parts wouldn't sting my face...:eek: . I took a few pics with my catch and moved over to the side of the boat secure in the knowledge that nothing could wreck my triumph, then the adrenaline wore off, the Corona returned and I preceded to chum the water for the next hour or so ....:sick: . Thank god I brought gatorade cuz I was a sick puppy all the way to shore. Our boat ended up landing 2 Marlins missed a third and had a very good day regardless of my tummy problems...

dodger
05-26-2007, 08:55 PM
My best trip was up in the territories. I was on a large lake with a group of buddies but decided one night to take a boat out by myself ( best stories are when no one is around :) ) and do some exploring. I found a small bay and slowly drifted into it. It looked good because of all the weed growth. So I did 100 casts and caught 100 Pike in a row. After catching lots of nice Pike and totally reflecting about the evening and also reflecting about the loss of my father the previous month I decided one more cast and then head back to camp. My cast went long and landed on shore so I gave it a jerk and it landed back into the lake. I tightened up the line and it started to go sideways along the shore? So i set the hook and after a BIG splash and half hour battle I landed a 32.0 lb Pike. After all was said and done i pointed the boat towards camp put in gear and laid back with a cold beer and putted home.
A night to never forget :)

Bushmaster
05-26-2007, 09:10 PM
My biggest bragging fish is a rainbow I caught in Kootenay Lake in 1981....26 lbs.

packhuntr
05-27-2007, 08:43 AM
My best fish was a monster pike hooked in Newell, a couple yrs ago. We had just started a drift off a rock island over about 10-15 feet, and were bouncing softs through the stands of about 7 foot tall spaced out cabbage.I hooked up in a big way. I never did get her landed, she ended up throwing the Joe Bucher 7 inch jig right at the boat after a long fight. Man, i have dreams about that hen, high high 40s to prob 50 inch. But the power, man, right after the hookset, she just walked away, we had to come back up over her with the boat. She was just slowly spooling me. Man the power............ I'll never forget it. Ive caught some real good pike over the yrs, but this fish was in a whole other league. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

BloodHound70
05-27-2007, 09:47 AM
My best is a 42lb Yellowfin Tuna off the coast of Waikiki.

BH

stubblejumper
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
My biggest fish were all salmon weighing 47lbs,48lbs and 59lbs.I haven't caught a halibut above 30 lbs yet,but I will be trying again the first week of June.

Below is a picture of my father and myself with 47lb and 59lb chinook taken more than a few years ago.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d128/stubblejumper11/88-1.jpg

John Spartan
05-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Biggest fish was a chinook salmon just a tad shy of 30 pounds hooked on a spur of the moment 1/2 day charter out of Sooke.

Jamie
06-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Stubble. I see you were fishing with Oak bay. What location were you at?

Jamie

wildman
06-21-2007, 08:19 AM
47.5 lb mahi-mahi
22.5 lb barracuda
both from bahamas!!!!

MathewsArcher
06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Had the pleasure of guiding a couple of years on the NWT/Manitoba border:

Pike - 34 (MB)
Walleye - 13 (SK)
Lake Trout - 48 (MB)
Arctic Grayling - 3.5 (MB)
Brook Trout - 8 (MB)
Perch - 1.75 (SK)
Chinook - 27 (BC)
Halibut - 5 (BC)
Burbot - 14 (SK)
Rainbow - 10 (AB)
Brown Trout - 6 (AB)

Manitoba was awesome caught literally hundreds of Master Angler sized fish all catch and release (that was 15 years ago) may have to head back and fish it for myself one of these days to see if its still any good.

fishpro
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Here are my best:

Rainbow 20 lbs 32 inches
Brown 12 lbs 28 inches
Bull 12 lbs 31.5 inches
Chinook 22 lbs 34 inches
Chum 30 lbs 39.75 inches
Pink 8-9 lbs 26.5 inches
Pike 30 lbs 46 inches
Walleye 8 lbs 27 inches

TreeGuy
06-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I've mentioned this a few times here before but here it goes again...

My 'best' fish, was the 12lb Atlantic Salmon I landed as the first ever fish on a fly rod at 12-13 years of age! At that time it was in my backyard!

It's not my biggest, but it is the one I will never forget!

Tree

PS I caught something off of a dock on time that an 'old timer' said was the biggest he'd seen in 25 years! It was under 8lbs and ugly as sin, so I tossed it back. Boy, was he mad!:lol:

stubblejumper
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Jamie-We were at Rivers inlet.

Jamie
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Rivers is a nice resort. I enjoyed my time there. I would have liked to been there in the 80's or the 90's.
They have taken some HUGE fish out of those waters.
On my trip, we got skunked.. Only 16 Chin for 28 people. But one was close to 60#'s
I want to head up to the charlottes again this year, but I will see if time allows for it.

Jamie

Walleyes
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
You know boy's I am curses by the big fish god's.. I have spent more time on the water than God gave most men a lifetime.... I have chashed Chinook salmon from Prince Rupert to Port Mcneil, to Camble River to Sooke to Port Albernie to Nootka Sound and have yet to break 30 pounds...
Have fished Walleye and Pike since it was even considered fish to fish and the biggest Walleye is prob 6 pounds,, Pike-14 pounds,, Perch 3- pounds..
What can I say,, the god's must be crazy....

stubblejumper
06-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Jamie-what resorts have you been at in the Charlottes.A few friends and myself are looking to book for next year.

Jamie
06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Stubble, I have been to Oak bays Kano Inlet (Salmon Seeker)(4 times) and I have been to Oak Bays M.V. Marabel & Princess at Langara Island(once).

I also bought a large trip for next Summer out of Rupert. I am looking forward to trying it there.

I would highly recommend going to the Seeker. It's fully guided and you will catch a crap load of fish. Not to many massive Chins, (50 pounds +) But lots of huge Halis and good Coho.

Fantastic accommodation, great food.. Best service I have ever seen ANYWHERE. That includes any and all vacations, Biz trips and 38 years of walking this earth.

Let me know if you need more info.

Jamie

albertaboy74
06-25-2007, 06:52 PM
I am hoping to get out this year and get into some big Pike on the Fly.

Here are mine:

Pike - 19lbs (Ab) Calling Lake
Walleye - 7 lbs (Ab) Calling Lake
Halibut - 24 lbs ( BC) Just off Port McNeil
Rock Cod - 2 lbs (BC) "
Perch - 1.5 Lbs (Ab) Devils Lake
Whitefish - 8 lbs (AB) Lake Wabamun
Brown trout - 5 lbs (AB) Shunda Creek
Brook Trout - 3 lbs (AB) Shunda Creek
Bass - 9 lbs (ONT) Lake Simcoe
Lake Trout - 15 lbs (ONT) Lake Simcoe
Rainbow Trout - 6 lbs (AB) Pond On the Trunk Road

No Real Monsters, But the hunt will continue

Doc Holiday
06-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Was fishin with my bro at North Buck years ago, teenager kinda thing, caught my bro with a 5-diamonds on the back of the neck... ( kinda where someone would grab yer hair... and make the rooster look over the log sorta place..), so I thought I was caught on cattails behind me.... soooooooo... I'm a yankin fer all I'm worth... hes a screamin...I thought he caught a fish as we were on the dock.... Nooooope........ I had him on the line...LOL.. I didnt like the looks of what I had on the hook, so I bailed..., right after I got out of the lake. I still laugh about my biggest catch to thid day....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bear Ballz
06-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm willing to bet "alcohol may have been a factor."
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Bearballz/images.jpg

Doc Holiday
06-25-2007, 07:48 PM
LOL..... of all people... dont tell me youve never swiped a nip er 2 off the ol' man......C'mon Bear.........:huh:

Bear Ballz
06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
not a chance!! after 3 stints in rehab I wouldn't think of it.:innocent: I'm a changed man

Doc Holiday
06-25-2007, 08:00 PM
not a chance!! after 3 stints in rehab I wouldn't think of it.:innocent: I'm a changed man

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... put down yer beer... you have mail...

muzzy
06-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Stubble look up Ken Nordal out of Masset He's a retired commercial fisherman who charters He has a 3 bedroom mobile fully furnished he rents out to his charters for $50 a person This guy is a hoot and he knows where the salmon and halibut are He charged $650 a boat/day 2 yrs ago I took my daughters and we limited out on halibut in 50 minutes then caught a limit of chinook in 3 hours By way if you go in late July head to the large beach about 15 miles north of masset The dungeness crabs are spawning and u just wade in with a regular fishing net and scoop up 5 gallon pails of huge crabs in no time at low tide Best crab boil you can have
muzzy

rmillsfishing
01-30-2010, 03:45 AM
i worked in bc for oak bay marine group in king salmon in rivers inlet and mv charlet princes the biggest fish is a 25 lbs chinook 22 lbs ling cod 15lb halibut but iv clean 100 plus pound halibuts and 60lb salmon and 45 lb ling cod best fishin ever on the west cost if you can go the cheepest way is to work for them you get paid good, you eat grate and the fishing is unreal best time of my life what an adventure ill get some pics up