PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Lake Newell Ling Cod help!

VaryJ
02-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Hey, so if anyone has any information to help me get a mess of burbot for my family that'd be super appreciated. I went out last night and didn't see anything from about 5:30pm to 9:30pm. I'm gonna be heading over to Crawling Valley on saturday, but I'm hoping to head back to Newell before the season is over.

Going on all the knowledge I've acquired I've come up with, "they can be anywhere at any time" haha.

I tried here (https://www.google.ca/maps/place/50%C2%B026'28.2%22N+111%C2%B054'50.4%22W/@50.441175,-111.9150664,273m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d50.4 411749!4d-111.9139908?hl=en), in 12 feet of water. We drilled a few more holes to take a peek down them, a little further in, closer to the point on the west it gets nice and rocky, but we never fished that hole.

Has anyone had any luck anywhere else on this lake, I've been thinking shallow flats close to major drop-offs, that whole area by the Island is like that, but do they spawn in the flats near the shore or in the "shoals" in the center of the lake? Or up by the canal inlet west of the resort or outlet east? or by the drain into Rolling Hills? Or someplace else..

Or do I just had bad luck and am bad at fishing. It's prime time no? and I don't want to miss out.

I'm using heavy glow jigs, with some salted minnows butterflied, nice and messy letting it smack bottom, and playing with it a bit there. Trying to make it nice and "loud" and smelly haha. Also have a about a dozen little duck hearts I couldn't convince my wife to eat for like a breakfast so I thought they'd make a good bait too. And those pink shiners, I don't know if those are any good, but they look cool.

Thank you.

C & C
02-24-2019, 05:57 PM
I have spent a lot of time on Newell with bait on the bottom and only ever caught pike/walleye/whitefish.

Dewey Cox
02-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Can you keep Burbot this time of year from Newel?

"START THE CAR!!!"

SNAPFisher
02-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Can you keep Burbot this time of year from Newel?

"START THE CAR!!!"

Regs say 10 limit. That 0 limit come Feb is a PP2 thing but not PP1.

To the Op, yes, sandy and slightly silty more shallow (10-15 FOW or less) near a deep drop should be a good start. Some lakes they start going later so it might be early. Also, some lakes it only happens in a few spots or even one area so you have to be pretty accurate. Once you do find them, golden!

madatter
02-24-2019, 08:52 PM
I have spent a lot of time on Newell with bait on the bottom and only ever caught pike/walleye/whitefish.

X2.....plus perch
In all the years Ive never seen a burbot caught at Newell.
Yes they have to there tho, targeting them.....good luck

Crazy Horse
02-24-2019, 09:38 PM
X2.....plus perch
In all the years Ive never seen a burbot caught at Newell.
Yes they have to there tho, targeting them.....good luck

I’ve caught one 😬

VaryJ
02-25-2019, 08:14 AM
I’ve caught one 😬

Haha, I love your excited at that. Lobster right? That's what I keep hearing.

I've heard more success for them in Crawling Valley. Maybe I'll just try there for now.

Crazy Horse
02-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Haha, I love your excited at that. Lobster right? That's what I keep hearing.

I've heard more success for them in Crawling Valley. Maybe I'll just try there for now.

Ive fished there my whole life and that's the first one Ive ever caught. 10 fow, rocky bottom, deadstick jig and minnow. I definitely want to try CV for them.