PDA

View Full Version : Burbot

gazin16
02-26-2019, 01:40 PM
How does one cook burbot? Just boil in salted water or is there different ways?

Bigwoodsman
02-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Beer batter and deep fry is a tried and true method

BW

SNAPFisher
02-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Beer batter and deep fry is a tried and true method

BW

^^ What he said. If you want to soften the meat a bit before deep frying, soak in salted water for about 10-15 minutes. I find it makes it better.

pinelakeperch
02-26-2019, 03:50 PM

I tried that once. Man, it was awful! Battered and fried is much better from what I've heard.

burnme
02-26-2019, 04:27 PM
Totally agree beer batter and deep fried, served with a nice cold beer and chips!

Double-Eh
02-26-2019, 06:55 PM
Boiling water with a pinch of salt.

Cut into bite size pieces.

Boil until piece floats. Have a slotted spoon to remove pieces as they rise.

Pat dry quickly (not essential).

Drive into melted garlic butter.

Down the hatch.

Never look back. You and friends/family will literally will be crowded around the stove as you cook and devour simultaneously.

-----------
I've heard of boiling sprite rather than salted water. Tempting but I haven't tried it yet.

natedawg
02-26-2019, 07:58 PM
Boiling water with a pinch of salt.

Cut into bite size pieces.

Boil until piece floats. Have a slotted spoon to remove pieces as they rise.

Pat dry quickly (not essential).

Drive into melted garlic butter.

Down the hatch.

Never look back. You and friends/family will literally will be crowded around the stove as you cook and devour simultaneously.

-----------
I've heard of boiling sprite rather than salted water. Tempting but I haven't tried it yet.

What he said.....no better way

Burbot Sherbet
02-27-2019, 09:14 AM
In Wisconsin they boil burbs in 7up or Sprite rather than water (Americans). I’ve also had a mean Icelandic style fish stew (plokkfiskur) using burbs instead of cod. I imagine you could swap burbot for cod in pretty much any recipe and it’s be just as good!

gazin16
02-27-2019, 12:24 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on the boiling method. I guess I'll try both. Thanks guys

honker_clonker
02-27-2019, 01:44 PM
I find the boiling better with the back straps than the tail meat. I cook the tail fillets like you would cook walleye or perch but I always boil the back straps.

stubblejumper01
02-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Another way for the backstraps is to cut them into pieces about an inch or so thick, wrap some of your favourite thick cut bacon around and secure it with a toothpick. Bake in the oven until the bacon is done. Yummy!!

WildCats
02-27-2019, 05:02 PM
Another way for the backstraps is to cut them into pieces about an inch or so thick, wrap some of your favourite thick cut bacon around and secure it with a toothpick. Bake in the oven until the bacon is done. Yummy!!

Add a water chestnut and dip them in BBQ sauce before baking.

WC

Burbot Sherbet
02-27-2019, 07:31 PM

WC

Now I know what I’m doing with my next burb. Fantastic idea!

stubblejumper01
02-27-2019, 09:27 PM

WC

Will definitely try that!!