PDA

View Full Version : Burbot bite is on!!

YegFishing
02-28-2019, 12:18 PM
Guys go out and get some burbot. I went out with friends yesterday and had no luck until 9 pm struck. We stayed till 1 am and I caught the most at 22 burbot and just gave up after and let others have some fun. The trick is to get them in deep water with a glow jig or spoon. I was shocked by how easy it is to catch them. They literally followed my spoon down to bottom and just smacked it. A few times I had no idea I was hooked up since we were too busy watching the other guys pull in fish. If you want to take your kids out for some great fishing after work, go hit up some burbot lakes.

Sharpie
02-28-2019, 01:14 PM
ok, I got a spot. It drops from 8' to 40' VERY quickly!!! Only been there twice. We set up and jig in about 19' FOW, so right in the middle of the drop. Set a couple tip-ups in 8-10' and jig in 19'. Catch a couple jigging and on tip-ups.

Question is should we be setting up at the bottom of the shelf? Or top of the Shelf?? Or stay in the middle????

YegFishing
02-28-2019, 02:06 PM
ok, I got a spot. It drops from 8' to 40' VERY quickly!!! Only been there twice. We set up and jig in about 19' FOW, so right in the middle of the drop. Set a couple tip-ups in 8-10' and jig in 19'. Catch a couple jigging and on tip-ups.

Question is should we be setting up at the bottom of the shelf? Or top of the Shelf?? Or stay in the middle????

I would recommend from personal experience to put a trap or traps if you are with more guys on the middle part so you catch them when they are cruising. I would set up on the deeper drop since that is more likely where they will be. I have caught the occasional one in shallower water than 15 feet but it was a one-off situation.

My friends had flashers and stuff, I had nothing and was getting more bites haha. I guess I wasnt getting worked up about fish coming in and overthinking it. Pound the bottom and then jig up high above your head a few times and just drop it. Then just jiggle it lightly and drop or just hold above bottom. I had a few pick up my spoon from the bottom while it was laying down and when I went to jiggle it, I noticed I had a fish on haha!

wind drift
02-28-2019, 09:06 PM
...about burbot...their growth mostly occurs over winter, and this is their spawning season. They are pretty cool fish.

Calgaryguy1977
03-01-2019, 01:59 PM
I've never targeted burbs but would like to. Anyone care to inbox me a lake I should target within 1 to 2 hours of Calgary that isn't closed for burbs right now? Is there any point targeting them in the day?
Thanks!