PDA

View Full Version : Pike advice

RACKER
03-05-2019, 12:30 PM
I had trouble trying to get a couple big northerns to come up thru the ice. I was using the usual medium ice rod with 12 lb braid that I have for walleye and they would just peel line or snap it. I am looking for advice on how to get them to bend at the hole to come up. I really tried hard to let them work the line and play themselves out but I had no luck. I understand that it’s best to have heavier line and rod but I have such good luck with walleye biting on smaller gear. There are always tricks and tips I could use. And normally I don’t see bigger pike where I fish so this is a good problem to have.

Fishwhere
03-05-2019, 01:13 PM
Hey there,

The only thing I could see you doing differently besides heavier line is check your line more often after fighting several fish. Some lines like fireline get worn down relatively quickly when being fished constantly through weeds and along the bottom of the ice hole. Notmally only thr last few feet could be trimmed here and there. Other thing could be a larger hole, but im sure youve thought of that already. And like you said tiring them out - but even more.

The last thing that ive thought of but have mixed feelings on is finding something long enough that could reach down through the ice to crab onto their jaw without really damaging them to hlep you bring them up? Or something smooth like a hook to attempt to get it under their jaw - but that gets a little sketchy and probably not the best for the pike if you accidently hook the gills instead.

Thats all i got. Good luck!

S_Mooj
03-05-2019, 01:20 PM
if your not using a steel leader they will cut through your line like nothing. even the small ones. those swamp gators have sharp teeth.

old dog
03-05-2019, 01:21 PM
I use the same rig set up for the most part but use a similar weight fluorocarbon leader. I find it’s brassive resistant and easy to check for nicks. And its mostly invisible.

C & C
03-05-2019, 06:52 PM
if your not using a steel leader they will cut through your line like nothing. even the small ones. those swamp gators have sharp teeth.

X2

You can try to finesse as much as you can but if the teeth hit the line right its game over

CNP
03-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Hey there,

The only thing I could see you doing differently besides heavier line is check your line more often after fighting several fish. Some lines like fireline get worn down relatively quickly when being fished constantly through weeds and along the bottom of the ice hole. Notmally only thr last few feet could be trimmed here and there. Other thing could be a larger hole, but im sure youve thought of that already. And like you said tiring them out - but even more.

The last thing that ive thought of but have mixed feelings on is finding something long enough that could reach down through the ice to crab onto their jaw without really damaging them to hlep you bring them up? Or something smooth like a hook to attempt to get it under their jaw - but that gets a little sketchy and probably not the best for the pike if you accidently hook the gills instead.

Thats all i got. Good luck!

Careful with that one. It is unlawful to (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/general-regs.html):

Use gaffs, gaff hooks or spring-loaded hooks (spring-loaded hooks incorporate a device that snags/traps/holds the fish).

New2Elk
03-05-2019, 10:44 PM
I know one individual who takes an ice chisel along and makes the bottom of the hole bigger like an upside down funnel. The fish slide right in - even better than a larger hole as the lip is gone. It does require more effort and taking more equipment along however and doesn’t work too well through a small hole if the ice is really thick.

CanadianFisherman
03-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Definitely a bit tricky at first, way harder in the thick ice than a perch or something. I struggled when I bought my auger cause I was used to my buddies 10" and went down to an 8 for mine. I honestly just keep tension on the line and try to keep it toward his tail when he's rolling or sliding around right under the ice. Can take a couple times sliding by the hole but his head will come up. Not using a 6" hole by chance are you? If you don't have to drill by hand, try doing 2 or 3 holes close together, otherwise just try and keep your line centered the whole way up, maybe even slow it down a touch. Also I find for pike, dirty or clear water a steel leader with the black coating doesn't scare them off. Myself I wouldn't stick my hand down though, had good cuts from slight touches while taking hooks out and if the ice is thick like now... If these aren't the case, and the fish you are catching are just as big as the hole than when can I come out with ya? haha

PlayDoh
03-06-2019, 01:58 AM
There snapping 12lb braid? You didn’t mention a leader, and I’ve honestly never had braid snap. It also takes a lot before it frays
Maybe it’s your knots? I use the recommended UNI for normal braid, and when I switched to ice-braid I tied the same. I lost 3-4 fish and lures before realizing the knots were slipping loose.
I use a palomar now on ice-braid. If I’m after big pike I’ll use 20lb braid. Monster pike 30-40lbs power pro. Big enough and quality snaps and swivels, no walmart or half the CT stuff.
I just had a day with a half dozen Burbot that pretzel like crazy at the hole, and I don’t recall ever having a noticeable problem with pike. Only when they get tangled, will they not come up mouth first.
I can count the number of times I’ve had to play out a pike through ice, each year on one hand. With braid you can horse them right up.
Sounds to me like maybe your giving them too much line and a lack of enough pull, perhaps. Always keep a bend in the rod, and let them pull and when their done pull them in a bit. If they get cranky and bolt, let them and your drag should be set to where that’s the only time they can take line.
A slow steady pull - reel - pull and pike will seemingly give in. Give them slack line or little pull and they will try to fight.
I don’t fish crystal clear lakes, and never seen a pike snub a lure because the braid was visible. If the water is clear enough, and on my big-pig-rigs I use a 40-60 lbs fluorocarbon leader, or a trusty steel if it’s a simple lure.
Try taking some line, tying on a snap, swivel and or cheap lure and put the lure in a vice. Get a good work glove, wrap the line around your hand and pull test.
I’ve had to cut braid with my teeth and it’s a good lesson to understand how a fish isn’t going to nick and break braid. I’m sure I could reel in a tuna with my 20 lbs braid, lol.

PlayDoh
03-06-2019, 02:07 AM
I use 20 lbs braid for Walleye too. At the end of the braid I’ll tie on a snap-swivel, or just a swivel. Tie on 8-12 lbs fluorocarbon leader at a length a bit less than the length of the rod your using. 12 in min, I’d say and Walleye will never line spook. And you will feel everything.
20 lbs braid is about the same diameter as 10 lbs fluoro and works well on reels and for tying knots, & untying tangles. I’m sure I would find 12 lb braid too thin for my hands and eyes, and possibly much harder on rod eyes and such by cutting more.
After every pike, feel the leader and give it a good pull test, for sure.

RACKER
03-06-2019, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. As for them snapping the line I’m sure it’s just because they bit over my jig and minnow. I never had a leader on and they don’t usually bite at dark and where I fish. I definitely will be changing it up knowing the big ones are lurking in the area now. Now to learn how to finesse them up the hole.

Smoky buck
03-06-2019, 08:01 AM
If I am ice fishing a lake with big pick or lake trout I cut a bigger hole by drilling 4 or more holes. Way easier to get their head in the hole giving them less chance of cutting you off on the ice from spiraling around your hole

And x2 on a leader

StringTheory
03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Maybe it’s your knots? I use the recommended UNI for normal braid, and when I switched to ice-braid I tied the same. I lost 3-4 fish and lures before realizing the knots were slipping loose.
I use a palomar now on ice-braid.

This is good advice PlayDoh. I will use the uni knot for my braid to fluoro connection if I'm not using a swivel and if I am using a swivel the palomar knot all the way. I haven't had that one slip yet, even on the teflon coated ice line. I used about 18" of 15 lb maxima leader material and landed a 35" pike through a 7" hole a couple weeks ago.

3blade
03-06-2019, 11:03 AM
What I was taught, is you have to fight them deep. Let them run and play around farther down in the water column. Then when you figure it’s time, you put some serious tension on the rod and reel hard, get the head pointed straight up the hole (haha there’s some solid life advice :lol:) and out they come. If you’re in a tent you can even watch for the right moment down the hole. Haven’t lost many doing it that way.

Trying to bend a pizzed off pike 90 degrees doesn’t work well unless you’ve got seriously heavy line, like 50 lb tip up Dacron.

The Fisherman Guy
03-06-2019, 09:15 PM
If you want to catch pike, upgrade your line, and be sure to run a leader. Tying your own steel leader is better than buying most pre-tied leaders. Better still - fluorocarbon leader material in at least 60lb.

Next, don't fight those big fish any more than you have to. Keep an eye on their fins, when they are getting really stressed, that's when they turn bright red. Big fish die when they are overplayed, and it just isn't necessary.

Dril double holes, even better with a 10" auger.

Try using a single hook instead of several trebles. This will help you when landing the fish - as you won't have to worry about extra hooks in your hand, you will do less damage to the fish, and single hooks hold better anyway.

Finally when she gets to the hole, don't muscle her face into the bottom of the ice. That's why they tend to panic. Wait for the right opportunity, and guide her face into the bottom, and up the hole.

RavYak
03-06-2019, 09:48 PM
You'll never catch big pike with no leader unless you get lucky and hook them perfectly.

If you want to catch pike use a fluoro leader(I prefer over steel or titanium in winter). 40 lb minimum. Walleye will still bite too but will catch fewer.

For targeting pike 12 lb braid is ok but 15 or 20 would be better.

As for getting them up the hole a 10 inch is helpful when fishing for big pike. 8 inch will take some coercion. Just have to take your time and get their head pointed the right direction up the hole and then go for it.