PDA

View Full Version : Slow Winter

HowSwedeItIs
03-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Has anyone else felt its been especially slow this Winter... I fish North of Edmonton mostly and it doesn't seem to matter what I target, they aren't biting. Barely marking any fish on the flasher either

RACKER
03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
I agree with you.Areas and lakes that i have had great luck with have been definitely slower and not as productive.That being said it has made me try other parts of the lake that I would never usually fish.I fish Pigeon alot and this year my favorite spot out in the middle has been terrible.So i tried out an area that we caught in the summer and it has produced quite well for me.Maybe this crazy weather we have had this year has changed the feeding patterns or made the baitfish move to other areas that they would not normally be.Coal is another lake that i fish regularly and the usual spots I always go definitely have been as good.Even though it has not been as good as normal if we can call it that I have had a good year out at Pigeon and have hooked up on some good sized pike that I have never caught there in the winter and have had some super evening walleye action.Hope the rest of the season goes better for everyone.New moon this week so im told thats a good thing.

mlee
03-05-2019, 07:12 PM
It's been a weird winter for sure. Lakes I normally fish that are usually steady producers have been slow....but yet I've had really good luck on several occasions at lakes that are known to consistently be a bit tougher fishing. All in all I think this year has been actually more productive for me then the last few....its just been a bit outside the box from the normal.

Mr Flyguy
03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
It's been a long winter at least :angry3:

SNAPFisher
03-05-2019, 08:40 PM
No, smokin good actually. :)
One of the best whitefish years for sure. Not every day is a gem but I've done some good exploring and checking some lakes off the list. So that is success in itself. I've done as many North of Edmonton trips as central trips. No complaints in either direction.

I'm really looking forwards to the next 4 weekends. Fishing should be really, really good.

PlayDoh
03-06-2019, 01:24 AM
I’ve noticed the same. I haven’t been skunked, but haven’t had a bonanza yet either. And it’s very unsteady compared to the past years.
I wonder if it’s a good year for baitfish with the late onset of winter and mild beginning? Perhaps there’s an abundance off food down there and the fish don’t need to cruise around as much or as often.
I’ve noticed a few differences in the critters on the bottom of the food chain, like shrimp and waterboatmen. Overall I’d have to say their numbers are down a bit, but more importantly perhaps is where they are, and aren’t this year.
I’d bet if you took a survey most people would agree it’s been slower than normal.

StringTheory
03-06-2019, 11:30 AM
I agree. I have put in more time this year than ever before and have very few fish to show for it. I was brave(foolish) enough to go out a few times in February and being both skunked and frozen has me ready for open water.

fsa313
03-06-2019, 04:16 PM
Has anyone else felt its been especially slow this Winter... I fish North of Edmonton mostly and it doesn't seem to matter what I target, they aren't biting. Barely marking any fish on the flasher either
My comments are restricted to how it has been in the trout lakes in Alberta.
First with the closing of the Sam Livingstone Hatchery in Calgary for renovations and the resulting drop of trout stocking of approx 800,000 fish affected the fishing. This only applies to the small guys. My observations of last summer notes that there was a severe drop in bug life. I ascribe this to the smoke in the air. Am I correct? Did this have an affect on the fishing? I think that smoke in the air should have no affect on the shrimp population, the other small fish on the menu, the crustaceans, the leeches, worms or the terrestrials. I'm no biologist but .......

CDNOutdoorsman
03-06-2019, 04:32 PM
I have had a tough winter as well. Hopefully March produces better.
Best of luck to everyone this spring.

NSR_RAT
03-07-2019, 07:14 AM
I’ve also noticed it’s been incredibly slow compared to the last 3 years I’ve been ice fishing, typical never fail go-to spots are deserted, even moving around to different areas and depths aren’t showing much on camera either, even exploring and finding typical fish structures have been a bit disappointing as well, it’s one thing if your seeing fish on the camera and not biting, but to see nothing at all all the time is frustrating.

graybeard
03-07-2019, 09:26 AM
It's been a long winter at least :angry3:

X 2....

My bad luck comes from the weather being -30 to -40 weather and not braving those conditions...

Years of experience has taught me what my limits are...

kinwahkly
03-07-2019, 09:36 AM
I've been lucky every time I went out this winter. Mind you I've only been once!

FlyTheory
03-07-2019, 10:14 AM
early season was hot, late season was not.

RavYak
03-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Yup been slow for me too, but I have only been out once so far lol. Planning on changing that this weekend.

Bring on open water.

Mountain Guy
03-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Best winter I've ever had for whites.

SamSteele
03-07-2019, 09:43 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/8813f3797e93ceeef12143d352d5b5f8.jpg

This will be me soon... I long for open water fishing.

SNAPFisher
03-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Bah! Woosies! This weather is great, fishing is great. Man up! :126fs2277341:

Time for a huge "on ice" fish fry. These precious weeks, days, hours and minutes we have left of the best time of the ice season...
Enjoy :)

Open water can wait a little longer imho

Kim473
03-08-2019, 06:51 AM
Every time I have gone out this year, limit to almost limit in 10" to 13" sized perch. Best year in a long time for me.
Your on the wrong lake or wrong hook if your not catching.

It's only gonna get better for the next month.

SNAPFisher
03-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Every time I have gone out this year, limit to almost limit in 10" to 13" sized perch. Best year in a long time for me.
Your on the wrong lake or wrong hook if your not catching.

It's only gonna get better for the next month.

Amen! And, nice!
I've only landed a handful of perch and best two at 11 inches. That is nut I have not yet begun to crack.

Cheers!

SamSteele
03-10-2019, 09:29 PM
I’ve had some good fishing days this ice season. My complaint is the cold weather every single weekend the past couple months.

We did manage to get out and find some yellow gold though. 22” cutting board for reference and no where near the legal limit for the group we had.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190311/9ecd39e39326dd6d2264c368921c7b29.jpg

MooseRiverTrapper
03-10-2019, 10:09 PM
Perch are biting