PDA

View Full Version : Hard baits - colours

HowSwedeItIs
03-14-2019, 05:54 PM
My last thread about how terribly slow its been this Winter did a lot of good for me. It was nice to see I wasn't the only one having trouble, but it was also good to see that some of us have managed to make it happen. I'm inspired to make the most out of the next two weeks!

But I also want to know who is thinking about Spring. I am in the market for some crankbaits and jerkbaits- what are your favourite colours, for stained and clear water? I'm thinking for fishing by weed beds and shorelines for pike and walleye

EDIT: You would think that over the course of five years on this board I would know to choose the right forum. Sorry mods, could you please move this to fishing

Fishwhere
03-15-2019, 10:02 AM
I dont know why but if the visibility is good ive had good luck with rainbow trout colored jerks - originally started using them because theyd always be on sale because no one else used them. Now theyre a bit of a staple for me. But its nice to have a range of colors from natural to really bright. That way you can keep switching to more obnoxious colors to get attention from further away if the bite is still responding well. Sizes are also nice to have the options on as well. Especially being able to downsize a little bit is really key the odd time if you are finding they wont commit to any color/pattern changes.

Good luck man!

f2eight
03-15-2019, 11:47 AM
I love fishing lipless crankbaits and if I had to choose one colour it would be chartreuse.

NSR_RAT
03-15-2019, 12:05 PM
I’m a big fan of the Rapala X-Rap’s in clown, the Rippin’ Rap’s in firetiger when they are aggressive as well, and Husky Jerks in natural colours too.

BPman
03-15-2019, 12:40 PM
For a bright color I go to Fire tTger or Chartreuse/white. When all else fails it is black. If I am painting my own lures black then I sprinkle a few silver flakes into the wet black paint so movement is accentuated.

Mr. Twister
03-17-2019, 02:51 PM
doe anyone else use clack n raps ice fishing ?

CNP
03-17-2019, 07:20 PM
doe anyone else use clack n raps ice fishing ?

Yes. Great for jackfish. Sometimes I'll tip the rear treble with a batfish tail/fin and sometimes not. Been using blue/silver and perch coloured.