PDA

View Full Version : Did you buy your boat at the sportsman show?

tikkataker
03-17-2019, 08:07 AM
Hey all. As the show wraps up in edmonton this weekend s I am just curious as to if anyone has bought a boat at the sportsman show. Are you truly getting a deal?

Looked heavily into the fish and ski combos. Glastron had some pretty nice boats I must say.

Thoughts? What do you think the mark up is and what might be a good deal as far as pricing from what they have posted?

thorne
03-17-2019, 10:08 AM
My current boat was purchased just after the show last year. I'm not a fan of the concept where you have to pay to visit a show room to make a purchase or the crowds and hassle of a big event sales show. So a day or so after the show I visited a few local dealers...did some hull kicking and through some chatting found out who made a killing at the show and who didn't quite hit the mark and was more motivated and enjoyed a quiet and lots of uninterrupted one on one with the salesman and all the lone time I wanted to look over the product. I found what I wanted, the dealer who was happy to still honour the show discounts...plus a bit more. Used the same tactic for my travel trailer and got an Incredible deal on a new previous year model.

Lots of people really enjoy all the hoopla of the shows, and that's great! They do provide a great opportunity to view a large variety of products in one place. Some of use prefer to not deal with all that hassle and just have a good one on one. Also let's you look over the dealer shop, and how they conduct business on a day to day basis after all when something goes wrong...thats where you will be going. So are the shows the BEST deals...maybe if you have a wad of cash you just want to throw down that day and that's that...but no you can get great deals outside the shows.

riden
03-17-2019, 10:28 AM
No sir I did not, but I plan to purchase by the end of the month. I was discouraged by members from going to the show with the intention of buying.

thorne
03-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Then contrary to popular belief, there are some decent folk on here giving good advice...lol...just dont ask for a honey hole!

The sales for boats will start to speed up quick now with the spring weather, and dealers know it...so the opportunity for killers deals will start slipping the closer we get to ice off.

Now...had you gone in mid Feb in the very heart of the Polar Vortex....now there may of been a bit more motivation in the sales dept!! So stick to the plan to purchase in the near future. Good luck and Enjoy the new boat!

sns2
03-17-2019, 01:14 PM
I would encourage any of you to reach out to Sam Steele here on AO. He is pro staff for both Barry Jay's Marine and Princecraft. He has become a friend of mine, and I can tell you that he will be able to answer any and all questions. He is a wealth of knowledge on all things boat and fishing related, and you won't get salesman talk out of him, as this is not his day job. As honest as the day is long too.

tikkataker
03-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I will deffinatley try to reach him. Could you PM his user?

I have heard nothing but good things about Barry js

swampy45
03-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Definitely check our Freespirit Marine as well. Thane is a great guy to deal with.

warriorboy10
03-17-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I will deffinatley try to reach him. Could you PM his user?

You may want to do a bit more research re: BJ’s.

SamSteele
03-17-2019, 08:25 PM

That would be me. Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I just got home from the show. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

SamSteele
03-17-2019, 08:29 PM
You may want to do a bit more research re: BJ’s.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience. I was originally a customer of Barry Jays and they treated me extremely well. That’s what lead to me starting to help them out and eventually becoming their pro staff.

MooseRiverTrapper
03-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Was hoping to look at some tiller models. Windshields everywhere!

SamSteele
03-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Was hoping to look at some tiller models. Windshields everywhere!

Yeah. The tillers just don’t seem to move like the windshields, so dealers don’t bring them in as often and when they do it’s usually 16’ and smaller models.

Poppa
03-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Yeah. The tillers just don’t seem to move like the windshields, so dealers don’t bring them in as often and when they do it’s usually 16’ and smaller models.

So weird...I can't imagine any true fisherman wanting a console instead of a tiller (#TILLERLIFE)!! ....But here's hoping that means the tillers will be that much cheaper for me :)

SamSteele
03-18-2019, 01:12 PM
It’s not a matter of being a true fisherman. It’s a matter of being a true fisherman with a wife that is tired of being cold, splashed, or getting a dragonfly in the face! [emoji6]

Dark
03-18-2019, 01:14 PM
It’s not a matter of being a true fisherman. It’s a matter of being a true fisherman with a wife that is tired of being cold, splashed, or getting a dragonfly in the face! [emoji6]

X2

Poppa
03-18-2019, 02:34 PM
.........I'm sorry, but if you're buying a boat based on your wife's "needs"...............yikes.

Dark
03-18-2019, 03:34 PM
.........I'm sorry, but if you're buying a boat based on your wife's "needs"...............yikes.

Sorry about your wife Poppa!!! My wife needed a Kingfisher Pilothouse I guess I could have said no we need a real boat like a Lund. lol

SamSteele
03-18-2019, 03:57 PM

We all have different needs, styles, and budgets. Years of boat shows have shown dealers that they don’t sell as many tillers as they do windshield boats. Even single consoles are a tougher sell. The market in Edmonton area seems to be for windshields. (I have both). If the market was there for tillers they would bring them in. When they order them the boats sit in inventory for a long time. They also don’t want to take up expensive display floor space with lower margin cheaper boats.

Most people have others they take with them fishing that may not be as “hardcore” so if these buyers can offer some initial comfort that helps the others enjoy the experience it’s a win all around. A lot of families also have kids that want to do water sports, some cruising, and some fishing. The multipurpose boats are typically windshield boats. Not saying you can’t use a tiller to pull a skier or tube (who didn’t grow up being towed by the old smoking 55hp Chrysler?) just that it isn’t the preference for over 90% of the family boat buyers.

Jamie
03-18-2019, 04:22 PM

You married?

ESOXangler
03-18-2019, 06:46 PM

Ain't that the truth...

riden
03-18-2019, 08:31 PM
So weird...I can't imagine any true fisherman wanting a console instead of a tiller (#TILLERLIFE)!! ....But here's hoping that means the tillers will be that much cheaper for me :)

I am finding the exact opposite is true......... the tiller models of the same boat are more expensive.

stubblejumper01
03-19-2019, 09:54 AM

I love my full windshield and steering wheel. So much easier and comfortable to drive. Used to have a tiller. Wouldn't own another
I especially like my windshield on those rainy days. Just put up the top, cruise around trolling and not getting wet. The guys in the tiller boats just look miserable on those days. The top also is great on those hot sunny days to give shade.
Plus pulling skiers and tubers works well

Jamie Black R/T
03-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Tiller guys crack me up on tourney mornings....partner and i getting ready to blast off wearing hoodies...sipping coffee...tunes moderate volume..

Tiller guys ----> full rain gear, skidoo helmet, mitts etc lol

How much room you need? its fishing not line dancing.

jungleboy
03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Love my tiller Princecraft. I don't fish tourneys mind you but I find it easier to launch in many areas that don't have a dock available. Also super light and just more convenient than past console /windshield boats I've owned.

Hunter4ever12
03-20-2019, 03:48 PM
Love my tiller Princecraft. I don't fish tourneys mind you but I find it easier to launch in many areas that don't have a dock available. Also super light and just more convenient than past console /windshield boats I've owned.

X2

Coiloil37
03-20-2019, 07:50 PM
Tiller guys crack me up on tourney mornings....partner and i getting ready to blast off wearing hoodies...sipping coffee...tunes moderate volume..

Tiller guys ----> full rain gear, skidoo helmet, mitts etc lol

How much room you need? its fishing not line dancing.

I fished tiller boats for 30+ years. Was dead set they were the only hardcore fishing option. Three years ago I changed it up and there’s absolutely no way I would go back to a tiller. Not only is a console boat more comfortable in every weather condition but it’s just as fishable if you set it up correctly. Power trim, full remote kicker and main engine, remote controlled ipilot, electric downriggers, bimini and windows for the sun and rain. Yea all that comfort makes me want to go back to a tiller for sure.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/c3f2d8978073777f70ba27bf3baf92a0.jpg

I had to sell that boat last fall. Nearly broke my heart but in a month or so when we’ve relocated and the wife is settled in our new house, kids are back in school and life has settled down I’m buying one of these and teaching myself how to chase tune, marlin and every other fish off Queensland’s coast.

You’ll notice it’s not a tiller either but the dance floor is big enough for this redneck.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/4378d8e6a940990fb0640d6eb9934639.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/73b49bb4eb1af085f9ac664534f018e4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190321/bd39be255141ccfc5a4f60be3cd189d3.jpg

MooseRiverTrapper
03-20-2019, 08:55 PM
More interested in the ease to clean. Get a tiller with no carpet and you got a fishing machine that can be used.

I like to maintain my stuff. Looking at 20’ windshield and all I see is hours of polishing, vacuuming and cleaning.

SamSteele
03-21-2019, 10:17 AM
More interested in the ease to clean. Get a tiller with no carpet and you got a fishing machine that can be used.

I like to maintain my stuff. Looking at 20’ windshield and all I see is hours of polishing, vacuuming and cleaning.

My 20 foot boat had vinyl flooring throughout and a wash down system. It doesn’t get much easier to clean than that.

The only difference between cleaning a tiller and a windshield boat (sizes and interiors being equal) is cleaning the windshield.

Mayhem
03-21-2019, 04:45 PM

Have a look at the Lund Alaskan series, 1800 or 2000 SS (also available in tillers). I just pull into the carwash and hose down.

SamSteele
03-21-2019, 04:54 PM
The Princecraft Hudson 190 BT, Maskwa 180 BT, and Amarok 166 BT are all tiller boats with vinyl interiors and they use the highest grade aluminum in the industry (H36) and pressure treated marine grade floors instead of just marine grade like US made boats.

1973 Moose
03-24-2019, 07:42 AM
I pick up that Ranger 620FS from WPM. I added a lot of extras 15 HP Pro Kicker, Atlas Jack Plate, Minn Kota 101 Vantage, Boarding ladder, Etc. paid $116,800.00 with tax.

Just Cowboy
03-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Best multi fiberglass boat out there and reasonable price nice purchase.I sure miss mine.