PDA

View Full Version : Fly Tying

1973 Moose
03-30-2019, 08:36 PM
looking at starting fly tying, what is the basic minimum that I would need to just start tying Bucktail flies (heard they were a good starting point-easy) please help.

Smoky buck
03-30-2019, 08:50 PM
Vice, bobbin, thread, hooks, head cement and material would be the basics

Burbot Sherbet
03-30-2019, 09:38 PM
This is a rabbit hole I’m looking to go down as well, any advice for a first timer?

tallieho
03-31-2019, 06:54 AM
If your near a reputable fly shop.Most have various vices set up to try..Buy a good vice,good scissors..

Smoky buck
03-31-2019, 07:14 AM
Buy a nice ceramic bobbin nothing sucks more than being almost finished a fly and your thread breaks

Lornce
03-31-2019, 08:12 AM
If you take a course from a reputable shop, you will get a feel for what is needed in equipment. It will also give you an idea if you have the patience and dexterity to tie. Another great way to do it is to join a tying club to watch mentors and learn. There are some great ones in Calgary and Edmonton.

Growing up in the 60's Gramps & Dad tied "in hand" and that's how I learned. Later Dad bought a Thomson vice to ties commercially and I followed suit. You can start very simply or decide to spend the $, When I ran a tying course we used Xacto knives to hold the fly (simple start).

pipco
03-31-2019, 08:15 AM
Plan on buying just the basics to get started.

Decent vise and tools.

Then........

If you enjoy it plan on spending thousands of dollars and have more materials than you'll ever need but never just enough to tie all the patterns you'd like to tie which means you feel the need to buy more stuff.

:)

Fun hobby and it's kind of cool when you're catching fish on a fly you've tied yourself.

1973 Moose
03-31-2019, 08:31 AM
Hey thanks for the advice. a fly tying course sounds like the thing to do.

fsa313
03-31-2019, 10:13 AM
I tied for 75 yrs. Before you buy anything, visit the fly fishing clubs near you. You'll meet people, like the Farmer's Insurance "Have seen a thing or two". You'll get good advice and maybe a good deal on some gear. Here are the websites of two excellent Edmonton clubs.
Northern Light Fly Fishers - http://www.nlft.org/about/
Edmonton Fly Fishing Club - http://www.edmontontrout.ca/

Burbot Sherbet
03-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Thanks a bunch! I’ll definitely check out a fly fishing club next time I make it down to the city.

Puma
03-31-2019, 04:55 PM
There is a Fly Tie club in Cochrane that I hear good things about. They meet in the church and tie a new fly at each meeting. I was thinking about going too.

cube
04-05-2019, 07:51 AM
looking at starting fly tying, what is the basic minimum that I would need to just start tying Bucktail flies (heard they were a good starting point-easy) please help.

Depending on your age, 50 yrs or older, another club you might consider it the Edmonton Old Timers Fishing Club. They do fly tying workshops every Monday afternoon excluding holidays
at the Edmonton Fish and Game office at 4523 – 101 St (rear door).

https://www.afga.org/event/edmonton-old-timers-monthly-meeting/all/