PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Boat Purchase Checklist?

omega50
04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
A buddy called me and wants me to look tonight at a boat his 82 year old neighbor has decided to sell.
According to his neighbor the boat is the best one:) 12ft aluminum. Motor is the best one:) Evinrude 10hp.
No age or price or other details given.

So what do we need to look for to avoid frustration after purchase?
Is the year of motor production to be found in the serial#?

TROLLER
04-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Most people assume their boat is the best one as is the motor. If the guy is in his 80 good chance the boat is old old but may still be in great condition. The motor is most likely 2 stroke so make sure to check that. Parts on a 20 yr old 10HP may be an issue.

Whatever the price it most likely has a lot of sentimental value attached so be careful of over paying

Good luck

yetiseeker
04-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Biggest question I would have - is the engine still full of gas? How long has it been sitting - and if it's full of gas - this may cause some real issues with the card / fuel lines and the sediment that will be discharged into the carb.

It may take replacement of the fuel lines and a carb cleaning to run properly.

SamSteele
04-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Not a lot you can't see on a 12 foot tinner. I would assume that it is riveted. I would look for any loose or leaky rivets. One way to check for leaks when you are in the yard is to put some water in it with a hose and watch for any dripping out around rivets. Easier to do if its on a trailer. There should be floatation foam inside the seats to help keep it afloat if it became swamped. Over the years this foam can be saturated with water and should be replaced. It's hard to tell without opening up the benches though. If you lift it up and it seems quite a bit heavier than you expected, that may be waterlogged foam.

With respect to the motor, probably best to have a marine mechanic give it a quick once over. If it starts and runs nicely either in a pail of water or with muffs, that's a good start. I would check the leg oil as well. A good marine mechanic can pressure the lower gear case up to test the seals and make sure you don't end up with any water in your lower housing.

SS

omega50
04-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Apparently boat is a 1982 12 ft Springbok.
Motor 5-6 years newer

Freedom55
04-02-2019, 08:05 AM
I had a Springbok (Simpson Sears) some years ago that was an okay boat but there is not much freeboard in one of those so there was more than a few wet rides in that tinny.

Free

Puma
04-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Motor 5-6 years newer

Water pump impeller will definitely need to be changed. They dry out and curl.

Not that hard to do, couple hours at most. Buy your parts online. ;)

If its actually 10hp, boat needs registration.

Puma

SamSteele
04-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Motor 5-6 years newer

Springbok boats was merged with Princecraft in 1989, and Princecraft now has a utility model called the "Springbok" which is 16 ft. The 12 ft model is now called the Ungava.

Some history here if you are interested: https://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/About-Princecraft/History.aspx

Penner
04-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Motor 5-6 years newer

If it is the Springbok (the type as in the photo) they are a very solid boat, plane well, handle rougher water than one might expect. They are riveted and its an older boat thus it will likely leak to some degree. Look for cracks in the aluminium ribs that run the width of the boat as well as cracks in the aluminum bracket that supports the transom (clouded within photo) as that model over time is known to have issues at those locations.

9.9hp and 15hp OMC 2-strokes from the 70's and 80's are pretty legendary and very reliable. They can troll very slowly and use almost zero fuel at idle speeds but they are quite thirsty at WOT. Other than water pumps, spark plugs, and pull start springs, I've never needed to replace anything on the (1977) 9.9hp and (1975) 15hp OMC 2-strokes and I have put a ridiculous amount of hours on both motors. They just keep going. Serial number should have the model year embedded within it. Haven't bought parts for them for quite a while but I didn't have to many issues finding parts historically (haven't need many).

Both the motor and boat are pretty basic, look them over, start the motor. If it this is to get you into your first fishing boat might be a good option for you. If in very good shape, I would suggest in and around $1,700k for the boat and motor package (plus/minus a few hundred).

TROLLER
04-02-2019, 04:42 PM
If it is the Springbok (the type as in the photo) they are a very solid boat, plane well, handle rougher water than one might expect. They are riveted and its an older boat thus it will likely leak to some degree. Look for cracks in the aluminium ribs that run the width of the boat as well as cracks in the aluminum bracket that supports the transom (clouded within photo) as that model over time is known to have issues at those locations.

9.9hp and 15hp OMC 2-strokes from the 70's and 80's are pretty legendary and very reliable. They can troll very slowly and use almost zero fuel at idle speeds but they are quite thirsty at WOT. Other than water pumps, spark plugs, and pull start springs, I've never needed to replace anything on the (1977) 9.9hp and (1975) 15hp OMC 2-strokes and I have put a ridiculous amount of hours on both motors. They just keep going. Serial number should have the model year embedded within it. Haven't bought parts for them for quite a while but I didn't have to many issues finding parts historically (haven't need many).

Both the motor and boat are pretty basic, look them over, start the motor. If it this is to get you into your first fishing boat might be a good option for you. If in very good shape, I would suggest in and around $1,700k for the boat and motor package (plus/minus a few hundred).

WOW I would have thought any more than 800 for a 30 plus yr old 12 foot with that old a motor 25yr should be ample. Most likely will wind up spending 3 to 600 after he gets it.

Penner
04-02-2019, 05:48 PM
WOW I would have thought any more than 800 for a 30 plus yr old 12 foot with that old a motor 25yr should be ample. Most likely will wind up spending 3 to 600 after he gets it.

+/- $3k for a new 12ft tinner just for the boat there bud. I've seen those 2-stroke OMC's easily go for $700-$900 if in good condition. Certainly I guy may want to check around the local marine dealers and Kijiji. $800 might get you something that floats with oars. What would a person spend $300-$600 on after the fact? If you have to put any money into it (outside of accessorizing your needs), suggest you move on to the next one.