PDA

View Full Version : South Alberta open water?

Icallwalleyepickerel
04-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has any info on the lakes/reservoirs in Southern Alberta? Has the ice started coming off yet?

Interested in Pine Coulee, would be nice to paddle around again to test out my new canoe.

...And as a disclaimer, I am aware that "most" lakes are closed for fishing until May 8.

Would appreciate any info!

Navin

Scott N
04-02-2019, 11:26 AM
I drove down to Lethbridge and back last Saturday, and I noticed that Chestermere Lake was frozen still, but opening up around the edges, and Keho appeared to he the same... mostly iced over but opening up around the edges. I'd guess that the southern Lakes like Pine Coulee, Police, Beaver Mines, Beauvais, etc. aren't ice free yet, but shouldn't be too much longer. I'm interested in some first hand reports too, if anyone has any.

Exskibum
04-03-2019, 12:06 AM
was just at pine coulee this evening hoping to drop a line in but unfortunately the ice has only retreated about 10 feet of shore so far although the passage under the bridge has a large body of open water that i was able to get into but overall the lake is still froze over. i would give it another week and a half before i return but it opened to fishing on the first. ever need a paddling partner there Icallwalleyepickerel let me know i also enjoy fishing from my own canoe but a bit of a chore alone

rossi
04-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Any idea if it open around the edges so a person could throw a fly

Exskibum
04-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Any idea if it open around the edges so a person could throw a fly

]you could try near the passage under the bridge along the rap there but anywhere else on the edge it still is not a wide enough strip of open water

kouleerunner
04-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Most lakes still have ice, I've looked at most of them east of Lethbridge. A few exceptions. Won't be long now, the warm west winds help out a lot.

Dale S
04-06-2019, 07:36 PM
The lakes around Taber are wide open after the wind today.

tallieho
04-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Severn dam & fyten still with ice thrusday.Strong fishy stink at Fyten.Open water around the aerators at Fyten..Severn just along the dam,maybe 15'..

happyfisher
04-09-2019, 09:13 PM
and update on PCR? is it open?

tnx

happy

BearFishing
06-03-2019, 03:30 PM
I’m heading down by Red Deer for few days work anyone know where to catch fish on shore just going for fun doesn’t matter what I catch.