PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan Lake Walleye

Poppa
04-02-2019, 03:18 PM
So last weekend I got onto a really hot walleye bite, but they were all cookie cutter 18-20" ers coming outta the hole. Now, I'm new to Sylvan, and I'm just curious......is that about as big as they get in there, or are there sneaky pockets of 25-30"ers in there, too?

Planning on getting out and doing some trolling as soon as May 15 rolls around...

tight line
04-03-2019, 10:23 PM
From my experience- all cookie cutters- talked to a CO- they are not spawning- and only have the age classes for the years they stocked... they put 10 million in..that being said-have caught a few that were a little above the norm!

Poppa
04-04-2019, 10:09 AM
From my experience- all cookie cutters- talked to a CO- they are not spawning- and only have the age classes for the years they stocked... they put 10 million in..that being said-have caught a few that were a little above the norm!Yeah, I did a bit of research online and talked to a buddy who's been living here longer than me...and it all backs up what you're saying.

Now, I'm not trying to **** on AB fishermen or anything, but when I read that Fish and Wildlife did a survey asking people if they wanted trophy walleye fisheries, and the response came back almost unanimously "No, we only want a harvest fishery....no need to develop trophies..." I was really shocked and saddened. I'm personally only in fishing for trophies...not to harvest. I just want the challenge of tracking down ~30" walleye, getting 'em to bite, getting a pic, then sending it back......but, from what I can gather, that's just not a thing in this province.....and certainly not anywhere south of Edmonton.

fish99
04-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I did a bit of research online and talked to a buddy who's been living here longer than me...and it all backs up what you're saying.

Now, I'm not trying to **** on AB fishermen or anything, but when I read that Fish and Wildlife did a survey asking people if they wanted trophy walleye fisheries, and the response came back almost unanimously "No, we only want a harvest fishery....no need to develop trophies..." I was really shocked and saddened. I'm personally only in fishing for trophies...not to harvest. I just want the challenge of tracking down ~30" walleye, getting 'em to bite, getting a pic, then sending it back......but, from what I can gather, that's just not a thing in this province.....and certainly not anywhere south of Edmonton.

you need to explore the south res its amazing on the size of the walleye , beats the north

Poppa
04-06-2019, 06:54 PM
you need to explore the south res its amazing on the size of the walleye , beats the north
Based on everything I've heard, Newell is really the only place in the south to find TRUE trophy walleye...

fish99
04-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Based on everything I've heard, Newell is really the only place in the south to find TRUE trophy walleye...

there is lots more