PDA

View Full Version : G.LOOMIS or ST. CROIX

Hartly
04-03-2019, 07:14 AM
I’m looking to add a new rod this year to my arsenal. I’m debating between the G.Loomis IMX walleye jigging rod and the St Croix Tournament Walleye. Any input would be appreciated.

Cageyc
04-03-2019, 07:53 AM
I own a few st Croix and like them. Their warranty sucks though. My next rod will most Likely not be a st croix because of this. Buy what feels right and you’ll be happy.

Kurt505
04-03-2019, 08:10 AM
I can’t speak for the St Croix Tournament but I’ve got a couple G Loomis IMX’s and don’t have anything bad to say about them. I have a couple e6x’s, a gl2, and a G Loomis Walleye series, they’re all great rods.

rasbok
04-03-2019, 08:17 AM
G-Loomis. Agreed about the warranty on St.Croix.

35 whelen
04-03-2019, 08:36 AM
G Loomis have had 4 or 5 going on 20yrs now

stob
04-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Loomis all the way... would never own a st. crooks again

jkbloom
04-03-2019, 09:19 AM
I bought my first G loomis rods 2 years ago and have 0 complaints, excellent rods there are both e6x, one is medium light and 1 medium heavy, they are almost like cheating lol, the rod takes all the fight not the reel, highly recommend

oilngas
04-03-2019, 09:52 AM
After going thru a warrant response on a St. Croix rod that failed dramatically last summer (sortta went "bang / snap / crackle" in the rear rod holder on a Crawling 50 cm wally) and split longitudinally into 6 or 7 pieces and the resultant warranty response from St. Croix, I can not recommend them. Great rod up until the noise and split tho!!

All and all with the shipping to their Ontario depot, across the border, "gee we don't make that anymore", and shipping back, and three months I was out about $150 US for a rod I paid about that for. But I knew that after about 5 phone calls to St. Croix and therefore I was complicit in this exercise.

ghostguy6
04-03-2019, 09:59 AM
Both are nice rods but I will second that the warranty from St Croix is crap. The warranty is a scam. I broke the tip section of my Premier, warranty would have cost me around $120can by the time I paid the shipping, customs fees, duties and dollar conversion. If I just paid for a new section it was 35USD shipped to my door.

Walleyedude
04-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Another vote for the G. Loomis. IMX is a great rod, the Walleye GLX is even better.

Check out The Fishin' Hole during the first week of May, they'll likely be on sale.

Poppa
04-03-2019, 01:26 PM
GLoomis ---> St Croix ---> Fenwick ---> Shimano ---> Everyone Else...

Dean2
04-03-2019, 01:35 PM
St Croix are a great performing rod, I actually like them slightly better than the G Loomis equivalent. Problem is they don't last well. Have G Loomis that are now over 20 years old, along with newer ones. Never had one blow up. One I broke, told them it was my fault, still sent me a new rod, no charge and paid shipping both ways.

Get 3-5 years on a St Croix and you get total failure of the carbon blank. As so many have said, their warranty is less than useless. They should be sued for fraud, or at least false advertising.