PDA

View Full Version : Electric trolling Motor Options

Sooner
04-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Time to ask the experts. When my uncle sold the farm, I bought his 15 ft Alum Princecraft Canoe. Flat back.

Time for an electric trolling motor. Most likely be a Minkota, seem to be the best brand. Always thought a 50 ish lb thrust would be perfect. Get it moving if you have to, not too hard on battery power. Will only be 2 adults, gear and battery for day trips.

Doing some online searches and some say the 50 lb range eats battery power. Now I'm confused. I think 30 lb thrust will be on the low side. I prefer to have more and not need it than wish I had it.

Whats your experience with trolling motors? What do those of you who have them, feel is a good all around thrust number for this canoe?

I will be buying used most likely.

Thanks

jpg.gif Princecraft 1.jpg (31.2 KB)
jpg.gif Princecraft 2.jpg (37.4 KB)

Deep
04-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Trolling motors have been discussed here- If you search then there will be lots of info. All I ever use is the Minn Kota with the Maxxumizer feature. This electronic setup provides a great deal more battery life. If I have relatively calm days 2-2.5 days between charges, or buy a second battery.

MrDave
04-03-2019, 06:32 PM
I'm running a 30 on my 16', works OK but its on its last season. The best deal I've seen has been online for another brand, but haven't heard much about them. The 30 pound does me OK but kills the battery pushing into wind.

Tom Pullings
04-03-2019, 07:07 PM
30 is fine on a calm day. Anything else you’ll want something stronger or a tiny gas motor.

old dog
04-03-2019, 08:47 PM
50 for sure. U won’t regret it.

tallieho
04-03-2019, 09:01 PM
MINN-KOTA TRAXXIS iS WHAT YOU NEED