PDA

View Full Version : Bimini top on a tiller

fishnfoo
04-04-2019, 07:25 PM
I am considering getting a Bimini top for my 7.5 ft tiller boat. I am concerned that it will get in the way of the motor when down and be in the way of fishing when up. Does anyone have experience with Bimini tops on tillers? Please provide your pros and cons.

Habfan
04-05-2019, 05:57 AM
7.5 foot Boat ? Just buy a big Hat !

thumper
04-05-2019, 06:26 AM
I use a 'Sport-brella' with it's clamp mounted on the round aluminum bar on the top of my kayak seat. To cast, or play a fish, I can easily push it back and it rotates (or swivels) on the bar - so it's instantly out of the way. It doesn't require any modifications or hardware attached to the kayak, detaches easily, and quickly folds up for compact storage. I don't like wearing sunscreen or buffs, so this helps protect me from the sun.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in a small tiller boat like yours - depending on finding a place to clamp it on.

Additionally, if I want to use a breeze to drift a little faster for a slow troll, I can also swivel it back to catch the breeze, and drift the kayak backwards, so that I'm facing the right way -watching my taut line.

https://www.amazon.ca/SKLZ-Sport-Brella-Versa-Brella-Position-Universal/dp/B00HA2ZKCO/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=umbrella&qid=1554466389&s=gateway&sr=8-15

thorne
04-05-2019, 08:44 AM
You can adjust the rear support arms on a bimini so that when retracted it stays above the motor, so it wont interference at all.....as for casting, ya that's going to be an issue. The space on a 17' tiller is limited as it is, the Bimini will definitely be an obstruction, and take a bit to get use to, however....its doable. I had an 18' bow rider ski boat and After I installed a Bimini all casting had to be done from the bow, or straight off the stern. It took a bit to get use to the restrictions, and lots of hooks in the the new top. However personally, I found the benifits of the bit of shade, or Protection from the rain to be a huge gain for the loss of casting space!

Another thing to consider in a smaller tiller boat would be Wind.....a Bimini top on a lighter boat will just be a big sale, so drift with a light breeze will be an issue. I would just make sure the top covers no more then half the length of the boat to allow some clearances, but over all, a bikini top does actually make a huge difference and I would never be without one again.

zouzou123
04-05-2019, 08:45 AM

:lol:

SamSteele
04-05-2019, 09:30 AM
but over all, a bikini top does actually make a huge difference and I would never be without one again.

I'm glad you didn't upload pictures of you and your bikini top... :lol:

thorne
04-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Lol...Damn Auto-Correct!! Besides....you could not handle me in a bikini top!:sHa_shakeshout:

SamSteele
04-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Lol...Damn Auto-Correct!! Besides....you could not handle me in a bikini top!:sHa_shakeshout:

I’m not sure the bikini top could handle you in it either... [emoji6]

Tom Pullings
04-05-2019, 09:49 AM
If it’s usually just you in the boat I would suggest a clamp umbrella as well. You can move it all around to get it out of the way of your casts and still provide a bit of shade in the place you sit.

thorne
04-05-2019, 09:59 AM
I’m not sure the bikini top could handle you in it either... [emoji6]

Well.....you're not wrong on that...sigh...FML...lol

fishnfoo
04-05-2019, 09:09 PM

sorry 17.5 ft

fishnfoo
04-05-2019, 09:15 PM
so that is a positive for wearing a bikini top in my 7.5 ft boat.....check:oregonian_winesmile

kidding aside. Thanks for the feed back.

catnthehat
04-06-2019, 09:07 AM

MY LORD ! I would not be able to handle that visual either!!:confused0068:
Cat

KUDUHNTR
04-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Who could handle this bikini top in their boat!!!
Did anyone happen to notice what fish those were??!!

KUDUHNTR
04-06-2019, 12:13 PM
I have a mirrocraft 16' laker with this bimini top on it, makes casting a pain, unless seated, somewhat easier out the back of the boat over transom.
Good for shade though, and rain.

I have attached my fish net, and rods on the support straps with zip ties fashioned in a loop, works good to keep the floor uncluttered.

I bought from Europa canopy in edmonton, was a little over $300.00

KUDUHNTR
04-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Sorry, could not rotate pic, goes sideways when uploaded to post.........my bad !!

trike_flyer
04-06-2019, 04:46 PM
I got a 14' jon boat that I put one on. Works good to keep the sun off me. Just takes a bit to get use to casting around it. I put it forward for transport to keep it away from the motor. You could put a bumper to stop it from going down on your motor. Got mine from kapscomoto for $140. Look under covers on their site.

TF

TROLLER
04-07-2019, 09:34 AM
anp products google them up.

They are in Canada and make for all sizes, they have instructions on the site as to how to measure for your boat.

SamSteele
04-07-2019, 02:18 PM
anp products google them up.

They are in Canada and make for all sizes, they have instructions on the site as to how to measure for your boat.

ANP makes all the travel covers, Bimini covers, and stand up tops for Princecraft boats. I have been impressed with the quality of my last couple.

old dog
04-08-2019, 10:44 AM
I can honestly say I’ve only used mine a few times over the years cause I hate how it gets in the way most of the time