PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Broadhead Targets

BobMarliesDonkey
04-05-2019, 04:03 PM
I'm sick of chewing through a broadhead target every season. I should listen to my own advice and buy once cry once...any advice on a fair sized target that will last a little bit? I realize that nothing will last forever but...

What are you guys and gals using?

Many thanks

BMD

3blade
04-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Money won’t solve this one. Broadheads chew up everything.

Here’s a list of what I use:
Old 3D targets rearranged/taped together
Rubber foam packed into a styrofoam box
Three square couch cushions stacked one behind the other and tied in place - this one has the easiest arrow removal. Never thought it would stop arrows till I seen it work, it does.

Bonescreek
04-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Best solution I've found..

Warm up with a few target heads first..
https://i.imgur.com/Yy2H2Y1.jpg

Space the 2 high density foam targets about 12 to 14" apart..
https://i.imgur.com/OIsCUju.jpg

Unscrew the broadhead before pulling the arrow out..
https://i.imgur.com/uWqgCw3.jpg

Tip the HD targets a bit foreword or back at the top if need be
to add resistance.

Bonescreek
04-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Cheep and easy method, used my own worn out HD targets to
demonstate. :-)

If you take the time to shoot only 1 arrow at a time and remove it,
you wont cut the vanes with tight groups and you wont damage the
heads. Plus the time it takes to walk up to the target and remove the
arrow gives your head a mental brake between shots.

Hope this helps.

Med Head 2
04-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Have a look at Matrix targets out of Montana. They look pretty impressive, www.matrixtargets.com

reddeerhunter
04-06-2019, 10:18 AM
Cheep and easy method, used my own worn out HD targets to
demonstate. :-)

If you take the time to shoot only 1 arrow at a time and remove it,
you wont cut the vanes with tight groups and you wont damage the
heads. Plus the time it takes to walk up to the target and remove the
arrow gives your head a mental brake between shots.

Hope this helps.

Excellent stuff mi amigo!!

BobMarliesDonkey
04-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

BMD

Coiloil37
04-06-2019, 09:05 PM
The best option is sand. I’ve been shooting a natural sand bank for many, many years. It’s hard on broadhead finish and edge but it doesn’t wreck or actually wear anything out. I’ve got practice broadheads and they’re the ones that get shot into sand. For field tips sand works perfect.

For a “proper” target I shoot a rinoblock. With the replaceable insert it’s affordable to replace when it no longer stops arrows.

Bearbreath
04-09-2019, 10:49 AM
I picked up a Block from Jimbows. Pricey but worth it. I only shoot broad heads into it and use other targets for everything else so it lasts awhile.

350 mag
04-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Rhinehart 18-1....

Lasts for years....and has warranty too.

coxy95
04-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Grizz targets out of Sundre, Jim is a great guy and makes excellent targets.

TOG
04-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Rhinehart 18-1....

This is the best store boughten target I have found. Mine don't last for years but longer then anything else I have tried. They are nice because no matter what target face you are shooting at you are always shooting at the middle of the target. Not like a square or block target that gets the middle shot out of it way before the edges are shot out.

Jays toyz
04-22-2019, 11:09 PM
Round hay bale! Big, cheap, easy to remove broad heads from and will take tens of thousands of hits.

350 mag
04-23-2019, 04:57 AM
I got one of these shipped tyd for $110 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/Morrell-Double-Field-Archery-Target/dp/B002UIZWTE/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=archery+target&qid=1556016876&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Will post a review.

I usually use high density foam and foam insulation scavenging from dump.....and tape together with gorilla duct tape.

I also have a Rhinehart 18-1 which is great.

nsmitchell
04-23-2019, 06:02 AM
Round hay bale! Big, cheap, easy to remove broad heads from and will take tens of thousands of hits.

You may find you are loosing your arrows in the round bale depending on how tight the bale and how fast your bow is. Once they are inside the bale they are very hard to get out if you can find them even.

350 mag
04-23-2019, 12:05 PM
You may find you are loosing your arrows in the round bale depending on how tight the bale and how fast your bow is. Once they are inside the bale they are very hard to get out if you can find them even.

Ya you would be better off with square bales.

I always check the dump for High density foam.....people throw small 24" chunks away.

350 mag
04-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Got Morrell Double duty today....says it's good for 450 fps.

It is very heavy duty...will see how she holds up.

$110 tyd is cheap.

calgarychef
04-23-2019, 05:07 PM
I usually use my oldest store bought target but for the real cheapskates (like me) a burlap bag with some old rags in it will stop a Broadhead no problem.
I’ve used pallet wrap pushed into a box and it works too but faster bows will melt the plastic onto your arrows.

coxy95
04-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Got Morrell Double duty today....says it's good for 450 fps.

It is very heavy duty...will see how she holds up.

$110 tyd is cheap.

I have this target too and it is good for field points. I definitely wouldn’t shoot broadheads into it though. Not sure if you were going to or not, that’s what the OP asked about is the only reason I brought it up.

350 mag
04-24-2019, 04:12 AM
I have this target too and it is good for field points. I definitely wouldn’t shoot broadheads into it though. Not sure if you were going to or not, that’s what the OP asked about is the only reason I brought it up.

Oh snap.

I probably still use it but will put a piece of high density foam in front of it.

My setup this year is Muzzy Trocar HB Ti so I can just use field points anyways.

To original poster ....get the Rhinehart 18-1.

yakhunter
04-27-2019, 12:16 AM
My old block target is more worn out than I am myself. Does anybody out there have a method to inject some high-density foam and revitalize the thing?

Passthru
04-27-2019, 07:08 AM
Rhinehart 18-1....

Yep. I’m on year 4 with mine.

Skoaltender
04-27-2019, 10:51 AM
This is the best store boughten target I have found. Mine don't last for years but longer then anything else I have tried. They are nice because no matter what target face you are shooting at you are always shooting at the middle of the target. Not like a square or block target that gets the middle shot out of it way before the edges are shot out.

I actually have a dang near brand new one for sale in Edmonton if anyone’s interested.

Coiloil37
04-27-2019, 05:50 PM
Most of what’s been proposed here wouldn’t stop my arrows. I voted on the rinoblock in my original post. Since then plenty have said the 18-1. They’re the same target except you can change the center of the rinoblock. It’s still my first choice. I sold this one last month for $100, look around and you’ll find a deal if you need it. The only other target that may be as good for broadheads is the blob.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190427/afbc01d4bbadbb7eef930ee34b79c4dd.jpg

Closeup if the replaceable part.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190427/8008438d92d2e5484c9ed353c513c2bc.jpg

6speedGTX
05-07-2019, 08:47 PM
I shoot a Grizz broadhead target. I’m on my 4th year with it and it’s still going strong. I definitely recommend both their broadhead target and their field point target.

jcrayford
05-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Rhinehart anything.... 18-1, Rhinoblock, field target....

I've got the 18-1, had it for probably 15 years. Literally thousands of field points, hundreds of BHs. A couple of years ago I had a gift card from the In-laws for Bass Pro. A Rhinehart field target came home with me. About the size of a volleyball with a handle and a weighted flat bottom. Grab the handle and throw it out there. Where it comes to rest (unknown distance) shoot at any of the numerous spots on it. Walk and pull arrows, repeat the throw. Great way to practice guessing the distance before you shoot and because of the small size, it forces you to concentrate and aim small, miss small. The field target is a great option for when the gophers are limited.

J.