PDA

View Full Version : Calling Gear Nerds, I need an opinion.....

pikergolf
04-06-2019, 05:42 AM
thinking about this. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94570/pflueger-patriarch-spinning-reel

Any comments comparing it to a Shimano Stradic Ci4 ot I am also looking at Diawa B&G. Thanks!

Timothy
04-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Gagnon has one Daiwa Steez left on sale for 699.99. I’d get it but just ordered a ci4+ before I saw it.

But I do like my pfluegers as well don’t have the patriarch, but have the supreme xt and a few president xt’s. Have heard others say the handles break but haven’t had that problem.

Deep
04-06-2019, 07:18 AM
I have had the Shimano Stradic Ci4 for some time now....great reel.

oilngas
04-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Piker; I started with a Ci4 and a Patriarch, and now have 3 Ci4's and no Patriarch, drag issues were the reason. I just like the Stradic a lot more, I have the 1000 size and use them for wally fishing, very good reel.

RavYak
04-06-2019, 09:25 AM
I really like the Stradic Ci4+, they are my go to reels.

That Patriarch would be a good reel but I don't consider it as good as a Stradic Ci4+ probably more like an Ultegra level reel. That should be kind of obvious considering it is a cheaper reel though(and Pfleuger just aren't quite as high quality as Shimano imo).

Pfleuger reels even down to the President are good reels though and it would work fine. If you want to nitpick and get the better one I'd go Ci4+ though.

Sea Hawk
04-06-2019, 09:57 AM
I do not have the shimano so i cannot compare but i do have a patriarch and am very happy with it. I used it on holidays for bonefish and it was great. It is very light for the size and i was most impressed with the drag. Some of the bones would run close to a hundred yards and i had no problem. I was very impressed for what i paid for it.

rmatei
04-06-2019, 10:11 AM
I have a diawa bg 3000 and a 5000. The best reels I have ever had. The BG's are rated #1 by Alan Hawk. He does complete teardowns of spinners and shows the inner working on his site.

sns2
04-06-2019, 10:14 AM
If you want great go Stradic. Hard to find a flaw.

mooseknuckle
04-06-2019, 10:16 AM
My three sons all use that pflueger. Ages 7-10 so they do see some abuse. But i believe its been 3 seasons, zero issues. They used to give you a spare reel with purshase which was nice, they no longer do that. I think you will he happy with that reel.

Poppa
04-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Pflueger's are nice, for a mid-range reel. All my rods, summer and winter, are paired up with either Pflueger Trion's or Presidents. But that's because I can't justify the expense of the Shimano's. If I could, I would be all over Stradic's or Ci4s......those are THE reels to go with. Shimano makes decent rods, but they make the BEST reels, no question.

If money was no option, and a guy could do whatever he wanted, pairing up a Shimano reel with a GLoomis rod is the absolute best package you can do...

Kurt505
04-06-2019, 11:27 AM
A lot of guys are suggesting the Stradic, I just want to throw this out there. I had a stradic before, it was the FK though, not the CI4. That being said, I have a couple Stella’s, an FE and an FB, I also have a Diawa 13 Certate. I bet you could pick up a Diawa 13 Certate from Japan (new old stock) for about the same money you’re looking to spend on a Phlueger or Stradic, and I guarantee that Certate is a better reel, it’s performance is right up there with my Stella’s. I have a Shimano Sustain and I prefer the Certate.

Just something to think about.

Fishwhere
04-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Hey there. I have the patriarc and the stradic c14 and they are both really nice reels. Just depends what you are using them for would make the decision for me.... without getting in too much details regarding spinning ratios and ball bearings....

The Patriarcs main selling feature is the fact that its the lightest spinning reel. That will be the most noticeable attribute that would swing this decision one way or another. It is an absolute dream to fish with casting in shallower water for walleye, smaller pike, and even trout. Also would be great for jigging as well. When you pair it with a medium light rod and some light braid it is a pleasure to fish with all day and has no problem with the mid size jerkbaits or shad raps etc but anything too much above that you feel like you are working to reel them in. The sensitivity and feel you get with this set up and the right rod is really awesome because of the reduced overall weight. Never had any issues at all with the drag, but you can tell when using it for larger applications like bigger hooks or deeper trolling or fighting like in weeds it doesnt have the “power” to make it easy and you can tell youre stretching its limits. It works, just not as nice.

The stradic is a better all around reel that would work for anything, but on the lighter side of things the patriarc has it beat in my opinion and is more fun to use when you get it into the lightweight wheelhouse. But if you want an all around performer the stradic woukd be a better option in my opinion. The drag and reeling does better in the higher pressure and poundage scenarios when its needed hands down. I use my stradic with a medium or medium/heavy and mostly decent size pike scenarios and it performs very well.

If you are someone that wants multiple rod/reel set ups go with the patriarc and set it up for shallow and lighter styles of fishing and you will be in love when you get to use it. If you are only going to have 1 rod/reel set up then i reccomend the stradic c14.

I dont know anything about the daiwa.

Good luck. Let me know what you go with.

ETOWNCANUCK
04-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Stradic 2500 CI4+ paired with a Crucial as my trout rod.

At the over $300 price tag now ( mine was $250 ish 3 yrs ago) it would make me hesitant.

I think the pricing on rods and reels right now are ridiculous.

But, the Stradic is nice, I’d like to get the 3000 FK on my walleye rod also a crucial, I think I have a symetre there now.

Either Stradic would work. :sHa_shakeshout:

Sustains and Stella’s are way too much. :angry3:

dustinjoels
04-06-2019, 04:09 PM
That’s a great price for a really good reel. I have a patriarch and love it. Is it the absolute greatest reel ever made, no probably not, but it’s probably the best reel in my opinion for that sale price.

Walleyedude
04-06-2019, 04:31 PM
The Patriarcs main selling feature is the fact that its the lightest spinning reel. That will be the most noticeable attribute that would swing this decision one way or another. It is an absolute dream to fish with casting in shallower water for walleye, smaller pike, and even trout. Also would be great for jigging as well. When you pair it with a medium light rod and some light braid it is a pleasure to fish with all day and has no problem with the mid size jerkbaits or shad raps etc but anything too much above that you feel like you are working to reel them in. The sensitivity and feel you get with this set up and the right rod is really awesome because of the reduced overall weight. Never had any issues at all with the drag, but you can tell when using it for larger applications like bigger hooks or deeper trolling or fighting like in weeds it doesnt have the “power” to make it easy and you can tell youre stretching its limits. It works, just not as nice.

I agree that overall weight of the combo is a huge factor.

The current Stradic CI4 HGFB is actually lighter than the Patriarch when comparing equal size reels according to line capacity.

pikergolf
04-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the opinions guys.

SamSteele
04-07-2019, 02:47 PM
The thing I noticed with the Patriarch is that the spool has pretty low line capacity compared to other Pfleuger and Shimano models. My BIL has a Patriarch. I have two Supreme XTs and a couple Stradic Ci4s. I like the Stradics better but they were more money. The Supreme XTs do a good job as well and have held up well. No reason why a Patriarch wouldn’t do the same.

I’m an equal opportunity user when it comes to reels. If it’s a higher end model for a good price I snap it up and find a home for it on a rod. I found my Ci4 for $110 at a Canadian Tire. Right place at the right time. My Supremes have been on sale for $99 when I got them. I’ve picked up Saros and Symetre reels on blow out prices too. All of them have a useful niche.