PDA

View Full Version : One piece or two piece g loomis

Jawjacker
04-07-2019, 07:24 AM
What is your preference. One piece or two piece in a GLoomis?

TROLLER
04-07-2019, 09:31 AM
One piece for sure. I have 2, 1 6ft jigging and 1 7ft. bottom bouncing

Walleyedude
04-07-2019, 10:42 AM
One piece for sure of you can swing it. The only downside is transporting/storing it.

That said, the G Loomis 2 pc rods still have all the very best components, and they have better sensitivity and flex characteristics than most mid level or more one piece rods. If space or transport is an issue and you need the 2pc, you’re still getting a great rod.

Ken07AOVette
04-07-2019, 10:53 AM
2 piece, pretty tough hauling a 10'6 1 piece

RavYak
04-07-2019, 11:12 AM
You can barely buy a 2 piece G. Loomis rod and none of their high end rods (Conquest, NRX, GLX, IMX-Pro) come in 2 piece versions unless you are talking the salmon, fly or travel rod series.

There are a couple E6X and Classic series rods in 2 piece but very limited selection even in those.

I honestly think the E6X and Classic series are somewhat overrated rods. Decent blanks with good quality components, good warranty program and reputation is what you are paying for in those series. If you actually want a top notch blank/rod you need to step up into the higher end rods which are all 1 piece.

35 whelen
04-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Mine are all 1peice that's what I would get.

calgarygringo
04-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Pretty much what has been said. With that, when I was in the biz we had a 7 ft 1 pc Loomis demo I used to take out often. Didnt mind the one piece and was a great rod by the way but I had a hard time with having a 5 or 600 buck rod rolling around the back of my 3/4 ton truck bouncing through farm fields and gravel roads even in a case. I put it inside the cab but lots of bending to fit with someone else with me. 2 pc for me just for convenience and rod safety for breakage. I will give up a little feel. You may have a harder time finding one but they dont take long to order in.

Kurt505
04-07-2019, 12:21 PM
If your transport it in a rod locker in the boat or always in a tube get a one piece, if you you pack it behind the seat or down a trail get a two piece.

I know some guys are saying the the e6x is like a fenwick with a better warranty, I couldn’t disagree more. I have several models of GLoomis rods, and my go to just happens to be a 2 piece e6x.

Here’s an article which pretty much sums up my opinion to a T.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/wringer/rod-review-gloomis-e6x#page-4

RavYak
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
I know some guys are saying the the e6x is like a fenwick with a better warranty, I couldn’t disagree more. I have several models of GLoomis rods, and my go to just happens to be a 2 piece e6x.

I assume you meant my comment.

An E6X is more then just a Fenwick with better warranty. Blank performance wise they might be similar but the E6X has better quality components(guides, cork etc), better workmanship, more durable, better warranty and you aren't just supporting China either... They are definitely better rods but they are expensive for the blank performance you get. Easiest way I can explain it is that a Fenwick HMG or Elite Tech is what I consider a walmart version of an E6X.

On the other hand a GLX blank is far superior to an E6X blank and Fenwick(and arguably even St. Croix) doesn't have anything with comparable performance.

In the end transporting is the only issue with a 1 piece. Trucks suck for 1 piece rods, suv's or boat rod lockers make it easy.

If just trying to decide between a 1 or 2 piece E6X then you honestly won't notice that much difference.

EZM
04-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Like everyone else - if you can safely transport a 1 piece - that's the way to go.

Most of my better rods that stay in the boat are 1 piece.

Significant and obvious superior feel in a one piece. Great for light lipping those sneaky walleyes.

Jawjacker
04-07-2019, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys. A one piece IMX it is :)

deschambault
04-08-2019, 07:12 PM
I have just one comment and it's about warranty. I have only ever tried to return one rod on warranty, a G Loomis salmon rod that snapped in half fighting it's first fish. They wouldn't honour the warranty and eventually I grovelled by buying another equivalent rod for 1/2 price. I still have that rod but it hasn't been used much and I have a 4 piece G Loomis fly rod that I love but I will never buy another G Loomis. My other salmon rod is a Temple Fork and my walleye rods are Fenwicks. Sorry about the rant.

Bolete
04-08-2019, 09:04 PM
I have a 7' Loomis which hardly gets used because it is such a pain to transport.

Pikebreath
04-08-2019, 09:14 PM
I have a 7' Loomis which hardly gets used because it is such a pain to transport.

I don't think the fish can tell the difference between a one piece and multi piece rods, but I sure can when I need to transport the rod.