PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motors

tool
04-10-2019, 08:14 PM
We fish in our 17.5' Glastron Bowrider quite a bit and trolling with the 175 hp Johnson Fast Strike is a little fast, like 4mph.... So we drag buckets and stuff like that to try to slow it down, would like to get an electric trolling motor, I'm assuming you'd want a bow mount?

Never had one, never used one.

Looking for reccomendations, how much does a guy have to spend?

raw outdoors
04-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Kijiji is your friend. I had a 36 V minnkota. Ulterra I found the three batteries up front where to heavy. I sold it for $1500 and bought the same motor in 24 v and have two batteries up front. Only issue with the Ulterra is you can’t run a transducer for a bow mount fish finder without cables and mess everywhere. The terova motor can be rigged up cleaner for a front mount fish finder. I really like the Bluetooth remote to steer with as my dog seems to always want to drive by stepping on the foot peddle when it’s out. The spot lock feature is very handy when fishing deep water.

stubblejumper01
04-10-2019, 09:07 PM
I got the Terrova 24 volt last year for my 16.5' Lund last year. Really like it. Has GPS for tracking, built in transducer nice remote that hangs around your neck and records tracks. Also can run off your phone. Never use the foot pedal.
Lots more great features. The guys at the Fishin Hole were great to pump for information. Bought it there. Lots of great info online also.

updatelee
04-11-2019, 02:41 PM
I've got the 36v terrova ipilot link and love it. I would have preferred the ulterra, especially for self unloading but money is always a factor.

russ
04-11-2019, 04:17 PM
I'm a bit of a cheap ass, I bought a 24v 70lb Powerdrive w/o iPilot from Cabela's on sale last fall. Haven't even had a chance to try it yet, but the original bow mount was a 45 lb thrust and pulled the boat along just fine. So hopefully, this will be just that much better.

fish99
04-11-2019, 07:09 PM
24 volt ultera is the way to go no more pulling anchors you can fish right on the spot on the spot now.

tool
04-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Hmmm, so how much do you think a guy has to spend to get sonething like I'm looking for?

raw outdoors
04-13-2019, 06:22 AM
$2000 on Kijiji is about right bought two now for $1800. Get a long shaft much longer than you need. Batteries I just use Costco deep cycle.