PDA

View Full Version : DIY Northern Saskatchewan

Pike fisher
04-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Hi guys,

Seven years ago, my brother and I started the annual tradition of taking our 5 boys on a man venture each summer. We usually go into the Lakeland Provincial Park, but the boys are getting older (now ages 11-15) and are looking for something a little more rugged. We were thinking northern Saskatchewan, and so we are hoping for a little advice while we plan our trip.

We both have 16 foot Lund SSV’s with 30 HP motors. Our hope is to drive in, launch from an existing location, leave our trucks behind, and random camp on the lake for a week or two. We are not looking to stay at a lodge or an existing campground.

I have spent some time on Google Earth and two lakes seem like good candidates. Lac-Ile-a-la-Crosse and
Pinehouse Lake. I have spent quite a bit of time on at the Internet, but I still haven’t found out a lot concerning the quality of the fishing, , species (ie. it would be fun to target lakers), how friendly those communities are to having vehicles left in town, etc. My brother is thinking that he wants to try out Churchill Lake, but that lake seems a little big and open (and therefore less fun in bad weather) to me.

Any advice on these 3 lakes, or any others that might fit in with what we are planning, would be greatly appreciated.

Pikefisher

Cageyc
04-14-2019, 08:08 PM
I haven’t been there myself but was talking with a family friend and he said there’s some big eyes at pine house, phenomenal fishing.

rasbok
04-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Phenomenal fishing yes Are 4-5 lb walleye are considered big?

I haven’t been there myself but was talking with a family friend and he said there’s some big eyes at pine house, phenomenal fishing.

calgarychef
04-14-2019, 08:38 PM
I’d consider a fly in trip... tats a true adventure but it takes a ton of planning.

First you need to find a charter company with a big float plane and who is willing to strap a canoe in their floats. Not all will do that anymore.

It will most likely take two trips to get your gear and group in.

I haven’t done it for a few years but 3K probably will be the cost, give or take.

You’ll have a fantastic time and the kids will have a lifetime memory

58thecat
04-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Launch and find an island......Collins camps will sell you wood.....if needed.

Bigwoodsman
04-14-2019, 08:46 PM
Leaving your vehicles unattended for a week or two may cause you a huge problem.

BW

shawn
04-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Pinehouse has amazing walleye but nothing else to write home about. Contact Kamkota lodge I am sure they will let you leave your truck there for a fee and launch. I would never leave my truck unattended in northern Sask.

pikeman06
04-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Roger that. Leaving a truck anywhere remote nowadays is a major pain in the butt just waiting to happen. Even if it's just batteries or tires, you are off the grid and getting parts and relatively minor things can be a big deal. If you hide it it's even worse. It would be smart to drive to a resort or a town on a big lake and make a deal with someone to keep an eye on your truck. Sad we have to plan for b.s like that but it's a problem up there don't kid yourself. Plenty of great Lakes up there, load up the boat and an hour boat ride will get you into some serious wilderness. Bears are a real problem too.

Windsweptcoast
04-15-2019, 12:22 AM
Deschambault Lake would be good. You could launch at the Southeast Arm and leave your trucks at the Northern Lights Lodge at the south end. This type of trip could also be done at Jan Lake, among others. A lot of relatively sheltered waters with many islands.

dodgeboy1979
04-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Pinehouse will likely let you park at the lodge and venture out for a fee. Walleye fishing is unreal there. You can always take a day trip to Gordon lake to the north for lake trout.

monstermuley
04-15-2019, 10:25 AM
I always stay in Pinehouse on my way up to my lodge, and if you talk to John Smerek at the motel in town, I am sure he would help you out. He is a great guy. 1306-884-2341.

SamSteele
04-15-2019, 01:05 PM
Just a comment on Pinehouse. I have been going there since 1998 and the pike fishing has been declining over the past few years. A couple of years ago I ran into some F&W officers and they indicated that the lake has been netted hard recently. We certainly found the walleye fishing to be slower that year as well.

Big walleye there would be 3-4 lbs with lots of 1.5-2.5 lb walleye.

WinefredCommander
04-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Never leave your truck anywhere but at a hotel or lodge. Things go missing in the bush.

stob
04-15-2019, 01:15 PM
x3 - if you want to come back to a parts truck etc... there are some real special people in the world ...

Pike fisher
04-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I guess I should have been a little clearer in my original post...when I said that were were going to leave our truck at an existing location, I was think of a lodge or at a business in a townsite, not out in the wilderness. Sadly a guy can't park a truck at a random spot and expect to come back to it in a week and it still have 4 tires.

The boys aren't necessarily looking for trophy 'eyes, they are just tired of 'city camping' (their words not mine:)

Cheers,
Pikefisher

58thecat
04-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Leaving your vehicles unattended for a week or two may cause you a huge problem.

BW

Park at Collins camps....might pay a bit but better then a vandalized vehicle.

Besnard is huge with many islands that are sheltered etc just cruise around and find a happy place, set up, go back and get wood from Collins camps and then enjoy a week of peace and quiet, oh yeah best thing is no cell service!

58thecat
04-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I guess I should have been a little clearer in my original post...when I said that were were going to leave our truck at an existing location, I was think of a lodge or at a business in a townsite, not out in the wilderness. Sadly a guy can't park a truck at a random spot and expect to come back to it in a week and it still have 4 tires.

The boys aren't necessarily looking for trophy 'eyes, they are just tired of 'city camping' (their words not mine:)

Cheers,
Pikefisher

You want eyes well I tell ya this lake is incredible....we targeted trophy pike 40" plus and then around 6pm would go,to the supper hole....10 minutes later we had supper then back to camp for supper...and there are big eyes there too but was not our targeted fish other than supper.

dodgeboy1979
04-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Besnard is a beautiful lake and great fishing for pike and walleye.

AndrewM
04-16-2019, 09:13 AM
You are correct on Churchill being big and open. Great lake for fishing but piles of rocks and you need to be extremely cautious!