PDA

View Full Version : Upper/Lower Kananaskis from shore tips?

Buckhorn2
05-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Ive tried upper and lower kananaskis and spray as well from shore a bunch of times/places in the past two years. Ive tried, rapalas, spoons, and everything else in my box and never even got a bite. Any tips has anyone ever caught from shore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
05-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Been years since I have fished them off shore but Kamlooper spoons, Mepps long cast spinners, and Cicada blade baits were my go to lures. Cicadas in the largest size I could find in silver and red were my top choice for lakers and bulls. Toss them out let them sink then slowly retrieve

Target creeks, spill way area, drop offs, and points or just walk the shore casting till you find a pattern

Worked for me in Spray and lower K when I shore fished them years ago

Sundancefisher
05-04-2019, 03:56 PM
It is often tough fishing reservoirs from shore especially these two because the water fluctuates so much summer to winter that there is little food and habitat along the shorelines.

Kyle
05-04-2019, 04:03 PM
It is often tough fishing reservoirs from shore especially these two because the water fluctuates so much summer to winter that there is little food and habitat along the shorelines.

All the food is still along the shorelines though....

Sundancefisher
05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
All the food is still along the shorelines though....

Not there it isn’t. Very few mysis shrimp along the shore. Very little vegetation.

Kyle
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Not there it isn’t. Very few mysis shrimp along the shore. Very little vegetation.

hmmm...caught many fish and have seen many fish caught right along the shore. I guess the fish didn't get your memo :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Fisherdan
05-05-2019, 01:25 PM
hmmm...caught many fish and have seen many fish caught right along the shore. I guess the fish didn't get your memo :sHa_sarcasticlol:

So you got any tips?

Kyle
05-05-2019, 07:29 PM
So you got any tips?

I have caught them on rapalas and spoons like OP said he used, have also had good success with streamers and indicator fishing on flyrod. Can't really add much other than they can be moody lakes.

Buckhorn2
05-06-2019, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the tips Im not giving up ill just keep chucking tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoky buck
05-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Off shore the first 2 weeks of ice off were best for lakers

goldscud
05-06-2019, 10:12 AM
no lakers there

Habfan
05-06-2019, 11:14 AM
no lakers there

Spray Lakes was mentioned by the OP. :)

Smoky buck
05-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Spray Lakes was mentioned by the OP. :)

Yes the advice was for spray

Bushleague
05-06-2019, 12:12 PM
I haven't been out there for many years but in the past I've done well with spinners, spoons, and nymphs fished under a slip bobber. I always hiked in and fished around the point campground and the little river that runs into the lake near the point, could be hit and miss but generally I did ok.

fishgod
05-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Not sure about kananaskis but for Spray lakes I was able to catch a few small lake trout from shore with a large Len Thompson. Just fish where the shoreline goes down steep. One time I caught 20-30 whitefish on the smallest size panther Martin but could never do it again. Not sure why