PDA

View Full Version : First trip of the year....not quite the success I had hoped

leeaspell
05-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Went out for a drive to Carson last Saturday to check on ice conditions and it was ice free. So I went back to town, with excitement in my heart, bought my permission slip to catch fish and got my gear ready.

9am Sunday morning, backed the boat in to Carson. It was at that moment I discovered my trusty 12 year old dunlops now leak like a basket, I left my oars against the garage and my jacket is still sitting in the house, its still -4 at this point and all I have on is a long sleeve T shirt. Not to be detered, and the sun was out so it should soon get warm right?, I unloaded and set course to the trout promise land. 3 hours later I had lost 2 $15 willow leafs, had one bite and discovered the old tinner has a pretty good leak.

Defeated, I docked the boat and jumped out to go get the truck and trailer. As I jumped ashore I stepped on someones old rusty 5 of diamonds that was laying in the sand and stuck it through my sneaker and in to my foot. Luckily the barb never made it in to flesh, minor battle wound at best.

First trip out.....maybe not a success, but it sure was fun. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/e09c21e96bc8c9b0b413b76afff0cfce.jpg

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Dewey Cox
05-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Beats sitting at home thinking about fishing though, doesn't it?
:)
And, the other good news is your season is only going to get better.
And, you saved some barefoot toddler from finding that rusty hook.
Call it a success anyway.

jungleboy
05-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Awesome to get that out of the way early on, every trip from here on should be great:sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
05-07-2019, 10:04 PM
I have a tin boat here that does not leak at all, you are welcome to it for as long as you want. I am coming to Edmonton Sunday can bring it that far if you want it.

7magtime
05-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Good thing is you got a line wet, you're ahead of me Lol. Just curious, where was your launch pic taken, don't recognize that spot.....

Wolftrapper
05-08-2019, 09:08 AM
I have a tin boat here that does not leak at all, you are welcome to it for as long as you want. I am coming to Edmonton Sunday can bring it that far if you want it.

Wow, what an offer. Great on you Ken. With guys like you there is still hope for this weary world.

nast70
05-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Just curious, where was your launch pic taken, don't recognize that spot.....

I am as well. Definitely not the main PP launch, and it looks a bit too rustic to be the other launch to the east. Maybe on the smaller lake?

Bigwoodsman
05-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Still beats a day at work! Congrats on your first day on the water!

BW

SamSteele
05-08-2019, 02:16 PM
I always tell my kids that no good story starts with “everything went perfectly”. Challenges make life interesting.

leeaspell
05-08-2019, 06:00 PM
Good thing is you got a line wet, you're ahead of me Lol. Just curious, where was your launch pic taken, don't recognize that spot.....Its on the peninsula between last campsite and the play ground. The dock has been hauled up on to the main boat launch and the other one is still gated off.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Bushleague
05-08-2019, 08:12 PM
I hit a few lakes in the Swan hills on my dual sport bike a couple weeks back. Fishing was slow at all of them, I didn't even get a stunted perch at Edith, which is when you know for sure that you are having a very bad day. Not sure whats up with that area right now.