PDA

View Full Version : Painting old jigs

Justfishin73
05-08-2019, 10:41 AM
So they quit making my favorite walleye jig, but have kept a bunch of damaged ones that just need paint touch up. Just wondering if to use model paint, or just whatever I can find.

Smoky buck
05-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Any paint compatible with metal will work but if you want it to last you need to clear coat it. Best option is powder coating but if you’re just re painting old jigs it’s not worth it

If you really like that jig personally I would look for a mould or make a mould from a original jig and pour your own

ghostguy6
05-08-2019, 02:07 PM
A good acrylic(AutoAir) covered with clear nail polish is what I use on my jigs. The clear nail polish doesn't react with the rubber jig tails. Make sure you scuff the oxides off the lead and wash that reside off before you paint or it will never last long.

bucksman
05-09-2019, 05:43 PM
buying the powder coat to paint your own jig heads is cheap and easy

EZM
05-09-2019, 05:49 PM
I just hang them up on string (jig head down hook over the string) in groups of 5-10 pcs and just hit them on all sides with some rustoleum spray paint.

Had a half dozen cans in the garage and did a chartreuse bottom layer (let it dry) and then hit it with black (one quick pass) on the top side and they turned out really darn good. Looked like those multi colored jigs.

The Fisherman Guy
05-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Pick up some of the powder dipping paint. Works incredibly well, no fumes, no drying time, one coat, etc etc. Great stuff. If you cure the jig heads in the oven, the finish is rock hard, so clear out the eyelets before curing or you may have difficulty getting line through the eye.

Sea Hawk
05-10-2019, 10:08 AM
I use powder paint as well. I do a base coat of white and it seems to make the colors brighter. I add stick on eyes and then coat the whole thing with clear . I think the clear is some sort of vinyl paint i got at the fishing hole. The clear keeps the eyes from falling off. It also helps keep the paint on when you are river fishing and hitting rocks.

Sea Hawk
05-10-2019, 10:11 AM
I bought a toaster oven at a thrift shop for 5 bucks. It works great for curing powder paint.

Teamprotz
05-10-2019, 04:52 PM
I’ve probably got 40 different colors of powder and the neat thing is you can mix them and come up with some wild colors. Chrome mixed with purple , black , red or chartreuse gives amazing results on my 5/8 and 3/4 oz laker jigs.